MADD Virgin Lager - MADD Virgin Drinks

MADD Virgin LagerMADD Virgin Lager

pDev: n/a
MADD Virgin Drinks visit their website
Ontario, Canada

Low Alcohol Beer |  ABV ?

Beer added by: Jayhawk on 08-04-2014

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 7 | Reviews: 4
2.17/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Appearance is better than expected--poured into a Perfect Pint, the color is justa tad lighter than the averagelager, but with a slighlty greenish tint. Head was bright white and four fingers, but vanished quickly.

The smell is just awful--uric acid plus an odor almost like car exhaust.

Taste is very light, with a touch of sweetness and a hint of bread and lemon. Not much like a lager, really, but more similar to a shandy.

Feel is very light...a very light body beverage that would be drinkable if it weren't for the excessive carbonation.

Overall, one of the better NA beers that I've had, but hard to call it "good"--I suspect that the people that this was test marketed on were predominantly women that hadn't had much experience with beers, but more with shandys, champagnes, and wine coolers, as this beverage is more similar to those beverages than lager...still, not a drain pour.

1.27/5  rDev n/a
look: 1.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Mine was from a can. Head was nonexistent after two minutes and it smelled of tuna. Taste was so forgettabe I'm not sure if I was drinking "beer" or carbonated water

1.28/5  rDev n/a
look: 1 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

1/5  rDev n/a

2.18/5  rDev n/a

2.75/5  rDev n/a
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Politics of MADD aside (of which I don't agree), I decided to give it a spin (pun intended). Granted, NA's are just a different type of beverage really, they don't ever taste quite like beer, let alone "craft" beer. This one is crafted to taste like real macro swill, which it does. About as good as O'Douls but with a few surprises. Starts out with a sudsy head that dies out completely after a minute or so. Very pale straw color, brilliant clarity and active carbonation. Aroma is weak and grainy, no real discernable beer characteristics other than a weak wet cracker smell with burnt hair and metal. Flavor is surprisingly decent, with a very weak but good taste of malt and grassy hops. Finish is wheaty and herbal. Mouthfeel is about like other light lagers. Overall not bad for what it is.

1.46/5  rDev n/a

16 ounce can bought at Walgreens, the exclusive US Distributor. I bought this because it alleges it's the world's first craft brewed non-alcoholic lager on the market, and I'm on a N/A beer kick right now. And yes, MADD = Mothers Against Drunk Drivers. I recall kicking back with friends and drinking Kaliber in high school before I could drink real beer and enjoying it (it's still my near beer of choice...I like it for what it is), and I've tried all the near beers I can find in the middle of the US (I wish I could find any of the German low alcohol heffeweisens on the market, but they don't get them in this part of the country).

Anyway, on the MADD Virgin Lager review:

A - Macro brew lite beer look, but with only about 2 seconds of one finger head that immediately disappeared into no head. This is one pale beer.

S - Smells like corn...and nothing else.

T - Tastes just like it smells. Honestly, it tasted like corn juice. Not that I've had corn juice, but it's what I'd imagine non-alcoholic beer made solely of corn would taste like. I can't find any hops taste, and no malt taste, either.

M - Very, very thin.

Wow...I'm not sure if I've ever had a less beer-like near beer, ever. Reading some articles online about the college that created this recipe, it appears the beer is never fermented...and it shows. It's not that alcohol was removed from this "beer", but rather no alcohol was created in the brewing process and later removed like in most near beers.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
MADD Virgin Lager from MADD Virgin Drinks
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.