Microbrew Invitational

YOUR RATING = None |
Awaiting 10 Reviews

Big Time Brewery & Alehouse
Washington, United States | website

Style: Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB)

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by cvschaller on 09-21-2005

Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 7
4.1/5  rDev +14.5%

Well, I had this one again and had a better experience with it this time. I think last time I was reacting to the lack of hoppiness, but that could have been due to consuming it after a significant IPA. This is a good ESB.

Appearance – This arrived copper-colored with mild cloudiness. Average head retention with thick lacing.

Smell – The smell is dominated by deep, low-citrus esters with a hint of apricot.

Taste – This beer is perfectly balanced. The malts are up-front with caramel and spiced notes that give way to hops providing a restrained, but bitter finish. Perhaps the hops could be just a touch more, but I can’t argue with the balance they have achieved here.

Mouthfeel – medium-heavy with a smooth, yet bitter end.

Drinkability – Superb. A very, very drinkable ESB.

3.93/5  rDev +9.8%

Mid September 2005. Had at the Big Time Brewery in Seattle, WA.

Presentation- via samplers from the tap.

Appearance- 3/4 inch creamy head. Orange golden pour with better than average lacing.

Smell- Light hoppy and bitter scent. Nice fruit scent as well.

Taste- Very smooth brew. Mellow bitterness with a lemon flavor hidden in the back.

Mouthfeel- Barely any carbonation to speak of. Super creamy and super smooth.

Drinkability- This would be my session brew if I lived near here. Good tasting and super easy to drink.

3.35/5  rDev -6.4%

From tap:

While I've had other Big Time brews before, I had not tried this one. The only thing I can recall about this brew was that it was a bit too hop forward for my tastes. Had they cut back on the hops a bit, I think the balance would of been much much better.

About average for an ESB...

2.83/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This traditional style ESB has a peculiar metallic taste that I'm guessing may be derived from excess water conditioning. Regardless of its source, the flavor is somewhat distracting and prevents any use of the word "clean" in describing the beer's character. Tinderstick is deep sorrel with a soapy head and abundant lace. A dry, powdery maltiness, papery mouthfeel, and compressed lemon-teabag astringency convey the effect that the recipe is somehow trying too hard, especially for an otherwise simple design such as an ESB. Not my cup of tea.

Tinderstick from Big Time Brewery & Alehouse
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.