Scarlet Fire IPA - Big Time Brewery & Alehouse

Washington, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-02-2003

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.2/5  rDev +5%

The first time I had the chance to try this I was hesitant. The bartender assured me it was one of his favorite brews, so I gave it a shot. Boy am I glad I did,
The beer was presented to me with a decent quarter finger head, and a luscious golden body. I swear, if a honey bee was in the area, it would be looking to see who stole it's goods! I took a whiff and came up with lovely grapefruit and lemon coupled with sappy pine aroma. How could anyone resist a smell like that?
I took a sip and was delighted by the fruity goodness and bitterness that followed. The malt sweetness came next followed by exciting bitterness that made me long for the next sip. If you can ignore the creamy mouthfeel that begs for another sip, you deserve a medal. This beer implores you to drink more and more. If you have the chance, down this beer and order another. An absolute winner for the hop lover. (889 characters)

4/5  rDev 0%

At the source. This is one of the three, yes three! IPA's that were on tap here on my visit! This one is a light golden/orangey/amber colour with a nice tight head of slightly off-white foam. The aromas are all citrus hops and biscuity buttered bread malts. The taste sfollows suit, and although this is a big, juicy, hoppy Amiercan IPA I do find myself a bit bored at the one-dimensional nature of the hopping here. Oh well, mouthfeel is medium bodied, creamy and nice and the drinkability is good as well. A nice enough IPA offering, but I prefer the two other IPA's that these guys make on a regular basis to this example!.... (629 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +14.3%

Scarlet Fire is a slighly reddish, slightly cloudy ale with a nice yellowish head which recedes quickly. The nose is grapefruity, sort of a "sharp" smell. The first taste is all hops, but pretty well-balanced. After the initial taste, the citrus flavor comes through. It has almost a sweet flavor sitting on your tongue. There are a lot of hops here, but its not overpowering. Very good mouthfeel and there is a nice finish with a lingering bitterness. For so many hops, this beer is very approachable and drinkable. This is a beer I choose as both a drinkable, session type beer (ok, session beer for me) and a "I am having just one" pint.

I am a hophead & Big Time often has 3 or 4 IPA's on and I consistently choose Scarlet Fire. I have been fortunate enough to try IPA's all over the US and this is the finest of what I would call the American style of IPA. (865 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last