Monk's Uncle Tripel - Pike Pub & Brewery

good

Pike Pub & Brewery visit their website
Washington, United States

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: bodybyadam on 01-04-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Monk's Uncle Tripel Alström Bros

4.75/5  rDev +30.9%

4.72/5  rDev +30%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My new favorite tripel!

This had everything I look for in a tripel. Some bubble-gummy sweetness, a hoppy dryness, good carbonation, and a color that's not too light. So maybe I lean toward the American-style tripel, but to be honest, I've enjoyed American tripels better than most Belgian tripels, with a few exceptions. (But maybe that could be said for most beer styles, at least for me.)

Some tripels leave me wondering... sometimes they're a bit wheaty, or too hoppy, or just a bit bland ("golden" in my mind), but this one left no wonder. It was a tripel, without a doubt, the whole package. I liked it a lot, and was left wanting more than the 22 oz I had. It reminded me why I had enjoyed my past visits to the Pike so much.

4.55/5  rDev +25.3%

I liked this from a bottle, but the stuff that I had last night, from a keg, was spectacular!

Slightly hazy appearance, but not distractingly so. Lovely amber color.
Smelled terrific. Mostly yeast, but some sweeter notes as well.
The taste was out of this world! A party in my mouth. Candy sweet, followed by a yeast burst, followed by a touch of bitterness.
The brew was on the thick side, and it worked well with the alcohol level and the style.
Overall it was a near perfect brew, losing only a few points on appearance and smell but that's a subjective thing.

Highly recommended by me!

4.48/5  rDev +23.4%

Enjoyed this bomber bottle out of a pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy golden hue with a thick, 2-finger, white head that slowly dissipates leaving a nice trail and persistent lace.

S: Belgian yeast aroma with a fruity background.

T: Sweet Belgian candi and yeast flavor. Fruity background with hints of honey.

M: Medium body and carbonation.

O: One of the best tripels I’ve ever had. Worth a try and then some.

4.33/5  rDev +19.3%

Pours a deep golden amber. Big honey, malt and fruit nose; hints of light white bread yeast and a hint of whisky-nice nose.

Mouthfeel is big, rich and full. Initial flavors of grapefruit/hop and hints of whiskey. Flavors progress to honey and Belgian fruit/candi sugar/malt.

This is a rich and full flavored Belgian style brew that is complex and very appealing. Rich fruit, layers of malt, carmel and light coffee.

A winner; tie for my favorite Pike.

4.33/5  rDev +19.3%

A: pours an attractive cloudy pale straw color with an off-white head then settles to a pleasant thin foam.

S: powerful and I mean powerful fruit scent comes off this thing and it is a clean fruitiness, apricot, spice, yeast, fresh bread, banana, raisin, winter holidays... it goes on. A beautiful and warm aroma.

T: immediate spiciness and brown sugar, dark caramel, banana, heavy baked good like scones or biscuits, with a bitter punch that sneaks up on you in the end.

M: very comforting. A low end level of carbo makes it more real, and the liquid is just thick enough to have the body to stand up to its potent flavors and yet it is not sticky. Superb.

O: What can be said? This ale is a winner. Pike has done a fantastic take on this traditional style. It's got a bit more muscle and a little less grace than many higher end European varieties, but that is keeping with the American style.

4.28/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass from a bomber.
In spite of aggressive pour, there was little head and what there was, dissipated quickly. Appearance was a foggy golden color that was very appealing to the eye.
I have little experience with Tripels so I don't have a point of comparison but I can say that it was very enjoyable and I had to restrain myself from drinking it too quickly.
A very enjoyable beer with a sneaky kick.

Monk's Uncle Tripel from Pike Pub & Brewery