Monk's Uncle Tripel - Pike Pub & Brewery

good

Pike Pub & Brewery visit their website
Washington, United States

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: bodybyadam on 01-04-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Monk's Uncle Tripel Alström Bros

Alex5, Dec 10, 2013

avaldivia, Mar 29, 2012

ArkyPalmer, Sunday at 06:50 PM

AlaskanYoung, Dec 05, 2011
2.11/5  rDev -41.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Wow. The first thing that hit me was it was reminiscent of drinking a coors or bud but hoppy like an IPA. the smell was very familiar like that. My first inclination was to dump it in the sink and chalk it up as an experiment gone bad but I couldn't bring myself to waste beer, even something that was as nasty as this. I'm thinking maybe I got a bad one. I could not read the bottling date. Possibly bought it past its prime, but it was just purchased at Costco a few weeks ago.
Obviously I will not be going back here again. Triple is just not my style I guess.

vautman110, Mar 13, 2014
2.23/5  rDev -38.4%

I was hoping for more. Poured a nice inch head. Cloudy like a heffie. Tastes a bit like it was laced with lavender and bubblegum in a bad way.
Overall I would never drink it again. I have had very good beers from Pikes and this was my least favorite.

aaronbess, Aug 02, 2012
2.35/5  rDev -35.1%

Clear golden yellow in the tall glass. Ample foam and plenty of carbonation on the tongue. Odor of candy and spoiled fruit.

Taste is really sweet and simple, like sugar. Except there is a really bitter flavor. I won't call it hops since that's not what it tastes like. Something more medicinal. It comes on slow, like with overcooked brussels sprouts, but then it grabs the inside of your mouth and hangs on like a pit bull. There is nothing in the middle between the sugar and the bitterness.

I think this is one of the least drinkable alleged Tripels I've ever had. This is more like bad home brew. Heading for the sink now. From the 22 oz bottle bought at Skagit Valley Food Coop in Mount Vernon.

mactrail, Sep 08, 2013
2.45/5  rDev -32.3%

Bomber of unknown age.

Pours a dark yellow with a nice thick white head.

An odd grapey smell with some malt

Taste is a bit off. Belgiany yeasty, but sort of tart. Not real pleasant

Mouthfeel is good but this is not very drinkable. Sorry pike but this aint it.

aubuc1, Aug 07, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

Let me start my admitting this is my first Tripel. There's something in the smell and especially taste of this ale screaming "cloves" to me. It has some interesting, spicy notes which hide about 90% of the alcohol taste but I can't get past the clove taste, which overpowers even the hops.

Also, it says Availability: Winter. I just bought it mid-August at Costco. Maybe I got an old one.

ipa_freely, Aug 29, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

jnjander, Oct 01, 2012
2.55/5  rDev -29.6%

A- Deep gold with a decent head that leaves some lacing along the sides of the glass on its way down.

S- Lots of grassy hops with maybe a touch of sweet bubblegum and earthy yeast aromas. Not enough of the classic tripel yeast byproduct smells for my liking.

T- Cloying malt melds with the grassy hops to create an altogether unpleasant flavor. This tastes less like a tripel than an under attenuated pilsner. Goes dry at the end with a light bitterness.

M- Slick, medium body with a good dose of carbonation.

Not impressive, to say the least. I got none of the classic tripel flavors from this. It tasted more like a pilsner gone bad than a tripel. It's cheap, so if you want to give it a shot, have at it; it won't cost you more than five bucks. If you want a decent tripel, however, look elsewhere.

vtfan77, May 29, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours out a gold ,moderately carbonated brew.Seems very "thick". Not a whole lot of head, i poured it pretty hard too. Pretty weak smell, mildly phenolic with a whiff of oranges. Very bold taste,,a little too tart for me. Mouthfeel is slick, ok in this department. Drinkablity is ok at best, an ok beer probably not one i would buy again.Taste is a little too over the top. Alcohol at 9% is well concealed.

tweeder263, May 20, 2010
2.75/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Fairly clear orange gold with a foamy two fingers of head from a relatively fast pour. Some lacing as it recedes. A thin cap lasts as I drink.

Aroma shows a lot of spicy alcohol character, with a citrus mix. A bit yeasty, some melon to the nose as well.

Sweet citrus up front, mandarin orange and some melon, but the dominating flavour is the finish, full of hot alcohol and spice. Sub-par in the flavour department.

Thin and slick mouthfeel, without the usual big Belgian liveliness. Not a great example of a tripel, this one just seems to be a miss.

elricorico, Jun 22, 2009

conquerorwyrm91, Apr 09, 2013

wisegreensoul, May 01, 2014

bulldawg77, Aug 16, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -24%

Ok, halfway through this bear the 9.0% alcohol content has tempered my initial reaction which was none of the orangey clovey business others were euphamistically spouting. The minute this hit my lips I knew that bouquet... 211! This beer tastes like malt liquor. If you want the same experience with better flavor, do yourself a favor and get a good doppelbock. Spaten's Optimator comes to mind. That being said, not terrible; All and all one of the more delicious malt liquors I've ever tried... just not worth the price of admission

Blake_Thompson, Oct 05, 2014
2.9/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I am not quite sure what to make of the Pike series yet. They seem to be a bit hit-and-miss. I am hoping that the Tripel is a hit...let's see:

Appearance: Unfortunately for me, I am underwhelmed so far. The beer barely had any off-gas when I popped the top and poured a pretty cloudy slightly brownish yellow color with practically zero head after an aggressive pour. There is no lace whatsoever and the beer looks like brownish lemonade in my glass...still and just....(blech!)

Aroma: There is some sweet malt in here mixed with a little bit of spice that I think is from hops as much as anything. There really isn't a whole lot going on in the aroma. There is some fruitiness starting to come out as the beer is starting to warm up some, and it is being led by an unusual for the style, green apple.

Taste: The flavor departs from the aroma, thank God. There is some maltyness that is the predominant part of the initial sip, but then the hops set in pretty quickly and lead you into the finish pretty much. There is some spice that is both from alcohol and the hops, but the alcohol is a big player in the later part of the finish. The body is medium with pretty much zero carbonation, so it comes across the palate quite lame for this style...to say the least.

Opinion: I don't really know what to say about this beer except that the HUGE lack of carbonation really hurt this beer. It isn't ANYTHING like the style as a result. The high carbonation is essential for this style. It may be better if it was lighter on the palate. I'm sorry, but I have to slam this beer for the style because it really doesn't hit any of the crucial marks.

SkeeterHawk, Mar 03, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -17.7%

No bottling date on the 22 oz bottle. Poured into my goblet:
A - pours flat and no discernible head...highly unusual for a belgian beer of any kind.
S - this is where it is coming undone for me. Smells like wet hay, cloves, and some musty dank earth. Even for a saison this would only be passable, and for a tripel, nearly damning. Where are the aromas of bananas, coriander, bubblegum, spices? Unclear whether it's just my bottle or if it's the beer - but this sure is unimpressive.
T - saison-like funk and earth.
M - medium bodied with minimal carbonation.
O - worth a shot if only for the price. There are better pours even at this price point...

gshak, Apr 05, 2012

Beer21, Sep 11, 2013

Cool to see Pike coming out with new brews. I am so glad that Charlie & Rose are back in ownership and turning things around!

Had this on draft at the brewery:

A: Hazy pale straw, no foam stand, low CO2.

S: Soft malt, perfume, phenols.

T: Perfume, malt, soft phenols, alcohol, then phenols (plastic) after taste that distracts from the malt.

D: Medium due to high phenols. May have tried the American trick of fermenting warm (75-85F) but failed to start out cool (65 - 70F) for the 1st few days. . .

Rumor has it they are using the Westmalle yeast strain for this beer and Tandem Abbey double.

BrewnZ, Oct 15, 2007