2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Monk's Uncle Tripel - Pike Pub & Brewery

Monk's Uncle TripelMonk's Uncle Tripel

good

good

Pike Pub & Brewery visit their website
Washington, United States

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: bodybyadam on 01-04-2007)
Ratings: 222 | Reviews: 124 | Show All Ratings:
Valley_Town_Sipper

3.11/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Quite the golden goose when it pours, but that is where it peaks. . . Smell is almost a high note. Very prominent in its fragrant tart flavors. . . Too bad it overwhelms in the same sense for the taste. . . Borderline sour with hints of grapefruit and melon. . .

A wealthier man's poor beer to its own right when you get down to the nitty gritty of it all. . .

04-22-2014 06:01:21 | More by Valley_Town_Sipper
vautman110

2.11/5  rDev -41.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Wow. The first thing that hit me was it was reminiscent of drinking a coors or bud but hoppy like an IPA. the smell was very familiar like that. My first inclination was to dump it in the sink and chalk it up as an experiment gone bad but I couldn't bring myself to waste beer, even something that was as nasty as this. I'm thinking maybe I got a bad one. I could not read the bottling date. Possibly bought it past its prime, but it was just purchased at Costco a few weeks ago.
Obviously I will not be going back here again. Triple is just not my style I guess.

03-13-2014 22:55:58 | More by vautman110
hreb

3.21/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

22oz bomber served in pint glass. Beer is pale golden in color, not quite translucent, and topped with very little white head. Sweet and fruity on the nose, suggesting ripe peaches or pears. Flavor is highly contrasted, combining the sweetness detected in the armoa with yeasty astringency and a moderate dose of hops. Grain flavors are muddled and fall into the background with everything else going on here. There's also a serious presence of alcohol. At 9%, there are other tripels that hide it a lot better, and with more interesting flavor. The finish is neither sugary nor crisp. Rather, there's a cloying flavor of what I can only describe as stale spices (clove, cinnamon) that have lost their potency and are now bland, dry, and harsh. (I should note that though there's no freshness date, this beer was purchased recently, and locally, so I have no qualms above reviewing it).

Drinkable but would recommend not committing to a large serving.

01-12-2014 22:35:19 | More by hreb
brurevu

3.41/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The aroma had all the classic Tripel notes of bubblegum and Belgian yeast followed by the same classic notes in the taste with a bit of the clove spiciness and candy sweetness. The biggest disappointment was the finish. Every sip ended with a bitter back-end that was not good. Don’t get me wrong, I can take bitter as I love the hoppy IPA’s, but this bitter ending is not what I look for in a tripel. With the high alcohol content, I took my time, and as it warmed the taste and aroma remained consistent as did that bitter finish. In the end it left me a little underwhelmed as I expect a lot out of a Belgian style Tripel. It was definitely worth a try, but I will probably grab a different Tripel in the future

12-17-2013 22:05:16 | More by brurevu
DoubleJ

3.14/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Very little head is formed on top as the beer is poured into a wide mouth goblet, yet there's still some lacing hanging around the edges of the glass. As for its color, it looks apricot colored. The aroma is agreeable, showing me aromas of toasted sugar, decent white pepper, hints of candied apricot. It brings hope for the taste, however I discover that the taste is not anything special. The hope of a good taste is there; white pepper and apricot skins driving the hope, as does the alcohol being hidden. A few flaws are noted; there's a vegetal note, the taste of off-flavored cereals, and an unpleasant bitterness in its aftertaste. Meld it together and the taste is just "okay". Compared to other tripels, it's disappointing.

If this beer were made from the uncle of a monk, then I would lose the uncle.

12-09-2013 07:04:58 | More by DoubleJ
ssteakley

3.94/5  rDev +9.1%

What, a full bodied Ale, did this Beer come from Germany?, nope...Seattle. I was not sure but I really like this Beer, it is an all occasion beer and good for America, I thought only Germans could brew an ale like this one. Be sure to let your mom taste one and see what she thinks.

10-15-2013 01:37:18 | More by ssteakley
mactrail

2.35/5  rDev -34.9%

Clear golden yellow in the tall glass. Ample foam and plenty of carbonation on the tongue. Odor of candy and spoiled fruit.

Taste is really sweet and simple, like sugar. Except there is a really bitter flavor. I won't call it hops since that's not what it tastes like. Something more medicinal. It comes on slow, like with overcooked brussels sprouts, but then it grabs the inside of your mouth and hangs on like a pit bull. There is nothing in the middle between the sugar and the bitterness.

I think this is one of the least drinkable alleged Tripels I've ever had. This is more like bad home brew. Heading for the sink now. From the 22 oz bottle bought at Skagit Valley Food Coop in Mount Vernon.

09-08-2013 06:43:38 | More by mactrail
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

3.81/5  rDev +5.5%

So this comes out in the Winter according to BA, ok, well at 9%, let's try this one:

Into a chalice:

A: fairly light golden colored body with a nice half finger white foamy head that dies within a minute, moderate light somewhat sticky lacing graces the sides of the glass

S: iced pears/apples, a fair amount of honey, a little bit of citrus, a little bit of coriander dosed with a good amount of Belgian yeast (seems very similar to Allagash Tripel - IMO)

T: all of the previously mentioned flavors coming through in a floral sort of grainy spicy way, sweet yet bitter dry aftertaste and finish

M: light to medium, feels like its somewhat sessionable but the alcohol hits ya after a good half hour, carbonation is good for the style and for me

O: uh... ok, honestly I'm no where close to being a Tripel expert, but from what I remember of Allagash's Tripel (and as much as I hate to compare), I really don't think I could tell the difference between this and Allagash's in the taste and smell, right now I'm wishing to try Allagash's Tripel again, but for the most part I think I'd have this one again

08-16-2013 04:27:06 | More by BeerKangaroo
oberon

3.36/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a large tulip glass a slightly hazed medium golden with a decent but quick to fade head for the style,a pretty lackluster look.Aromas of mild spiced phenols,sharp sweet alcohol,and sweet mango and pineapple.A little bready malt at the onset of the palate with clove-like spiced phenols and drunkenfruit rounding out the flavor profile.A pretty subtle flavored tripel but with pretty big alcohol,pretty average.

06-03-2013 20:11:44 | More by oberon
michaelak

Alaska

3.66/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A lovely beer in colour...A great light ale, clear pale yellowwith a balance of hops and grain in the nose.

The first sip was a bit surprising with not as many floral notes coming as the smell predicted.
NO sense of the alcohol level in the taste or smell (9.0%) and a clear hoppy-grain scent with the hops adding herbal overtones.

The mouth feel was thinner than expected with a coarser carbonation and lighter overall texture.
For an ale, this one rocks the world on effect; a totally unexpected (from taste or smell!) shifting of lucidity. I'll be a monkey's uncle indeed!

I would try this again; it comes across as much lighter than expected in smell/taste and then wallops you with a stool. Pikes Place, keep 'em coming, your creations are brilliant!

05-31-2013 03:43:26 | More by michaelak
Photozombies

New Mexico

4.21/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bomber

Appearance - Slightly hazy, deep golden color. Light head, nice retention.

Smell - Floral notes, fruity, banana aroma. Slight malty smell.

Taste - Sweet in the front, slightly bitter in the back.

Mouthfeel - good.

A fine American made example of the style. For a 9% ABV, the alcohol taste in not really noticeable.

05-05-2013 02:15:29 | More by Photozombies
KajII

3.28/5  rDev -9.1%

[Suggested Glassware: Trappist Glass]

The pour was a murky medium orange with a small (less than 1 finger) white frothy head that reduced down to a thin puddled film, and had excellent sheets of lacing.

The aroma was quite mild of a light grain malt and a doughy yeast with notes of banana, bubblegum, citrus (orange) and a hint of coriander.

The taste was moderately sweet and decently malty with a strong candi sugar presence early on, and then became a tad yeasty with hints of banana, orange zest and a fruity yet spicy finish. The flavor stuck around for an average time proceeding the swallow, with the mildly spicy fruitiness fading steadily off the palate.

Mouthfeel was just a hair past light in body with a thin creamy texture and a nice soft carbonation.

Overall this was a tasty but very sweet Tripel, which had a good fruit presence and a light hint of spice. Although it was nothing overly special it did have a good drinkability...

02-25-2013 18:11:37 | More by KajII
khensley

3.45/5  rDev -4.4%

A friend of mine buys this all the time. I don't mind. Looks like other Belgians, nice light straw color, slight chill haze, solid white head of bubbles, lacing etc. Smells like peaches or something from an orchard. Taste lets me down a bit with offerings of grape/apple-like almost sherry flavors. Very alcoholic on the back of the tongue, some pepperiness finish. Feels nice and thick in the mouth, swished around a bit and the bubbles come to life. Overall, not a bad beer, especially when my buddy is overspending for it. There are better Trippels on the shelf for less money.

01-24-2013 06:49:03 | More by khensley
Kevin73

3.7/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a cloudy rather dirty gold color with a thin weak head but nice lacing. The smell is a bit of a musty/yeasty citrus and apricot. The first sip was surprisingly malty, much more so than I expected. At first this was a bit off putting. However the second sip the hops came through and it was definitely more well balanced. Despite the thin head it has enough carbonation to let you know it's there without blasting you with fireworks. Nice sour notes on the back end. And nearing the bottom of the glass as my palette adjusted the bitterness of the hops yielded to more sweetness. I like it when a beer can put on a show like that! Generally speaking, Pike Brewery has not impressed me, but kept trying and I finally found one of their beers that I really liked. Monk's Uncle is delightful and definitely worth a try.

01-12-2013 04:45:46 | More by Kevin73
rickyleepotts

Arizona

4.1/5  rDev +13.6%

I am excited to drink this one. We did their IPA a few months ago, and I am excited to try their tripel. Especially after reading those tasting notes! I haven't been to Seattle, but Sheryl has. She went out there last year (or was it this year) and stayed in Pike Place. That is where they toss the fish and where Starbucks poured their first cup of coffee. We will be going out there in 2013 and plan to stay in Pike Place. This beer actually went from the brewery to Indiana and from Indiana to Arizona. I hope it still tastes good! Regardless, I am on a tear right now with Belgian beers, and am excited to try this Belgian-style tripel from a brewery that knows how to make good beer. Let's drink, people!

In the Glass: I was worried this wouldn't be good since it traveled from Indiana. We have lost a few beers in the move. Speaking of the move, it is weird to think we have been here over 6 months now. I still don't feel like I live in Arizona. At any rate, this beer looks nice and cloudy in the glass. It has a thick head, and a lace that seems to hang on for dear life. If someone handed me this, I would think it was a hefeweizen before a tripel.

Nose: It smells sweet and somewhat yeasty. As with all the beers we drink, this one is right from the fridge. I am sure I am losing some aroma with it being cold. It is funny to see American breweries trying to make Belgian beers. In Belgium, one brewery might use one set of ingredients in their tripel while another brewery uses a totally different number of ingredients. To breweries in Belgium, whatever they want to make their tripel taste like is how they make it… and no two breweries must use the same recipe. Keeps things interesting, I suppose! Let's see what this brew tastes like.

Flavor: Oh yeah, that's nice. Smooth and almost super sweet on the palate leading to a wicked aftertaste. That is what a tripel is supposed to taste like! There are a lot of flavors going on here, too. At first it exposed on the tongue and has a somewhat flat flavor to it. Then it slides back, and as you swallow the sweetness really comes to the surface. The aftertaste, which we will get to, lingers on and is getting dry as I sit here. The flavor is well balanced, and has a nice overall consistency. It is a little too thin to be a Belgian tripel from Belgium, but for someone that is new to craft beer, and is new to Belgian beers, he or she would never know the difference.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is really nice. At first, it is smooth, weak, and somewhat flat. Then, as you swallow, the flavors explode on the tongue leading to a polished and consistent aftertaste. You would never know this was 9% ABV, either. Considering they have only been making this since 2006, I am impressed with this attempt to replicate a Belgian beer. Good work, Pike!

Aftertaste: This might be my favorite part of the beer. I like dry flavors, which is why I have been getting into gin lately. This doesn't taste like gin, but the aftertaste is very dry and reminds me of what I experience when drinking a nice load gin. The dryness doesn't wear off, either and just sits there for five minutes (or more) as I type. Every swallow the taste changes just a little bit making me excited to see what is next.

Like I said, I haven't been to Seattle. I am planning on going next year. When I do, I will definitely be checking this brewery out. I wonder what else they have available. They impressed me with their IPA, and they have impressed me with their tripel… I am sure they will continue to impress me with their other offerings. Keep up the good work, Pike! Bottoms up.

12-31-2012 23:34:04 | More by rickyleepotts
tone77

3.3/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured from a brown 2 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is fruits, malts, yeast.Taste is boozy, fruits, some malts, alcohol well pronounced. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a decent beer, but a bit boozy and less flavorful than other Tripels I have had.

12-18-2012 00:12:48 | More by tone77
birchstick

Colorado

3.45/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A - pours clear yellow color with a frothy head that dissipates rather quickly

S - nose is sweet candied fruits and grainy malts

T - this starts off with sweet candied flavors. The sweetness moves on to some grainy malts flavors. More sweet sugary candied fruity flavors and a touch of bitter hops come in on the finish.

M - a little thin and not much carbonation

D - Overall, this is a pretty decent tripel. Pretty sweet and not as complex as others (hoping for more fruity flavors), but the 9% booze is well hidden. At the price point, this one is hard to beat.

12-04-2012 02:22:19 | More by birchstick
ckollias

Maryland

4.48/5  rDev +24.1%

Enjoyed this bomber bottle out of a pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy golden hue with a thick, 2-finger, white head that slowly dissipates leaving a nice trail and persistent lace.

S: Belgian yeast aroma with a fruity background.

T: Sweet Belgian candi and yeast flavor. Fruity background with hints of honey.

M: Medium body and carbonation.

O: One of the best tripels I’ve ever had. Worth a try and then some.

10-31-2012 01:21:22 | More by ckollias
aaronbess

2.23/5  rDev -38.2%

I was hoping for more. Poured a nice inch head. Cloudy like a heffie. Tastes a bit like it was laced with lavender and bubblegum in a bad way.
Overall I would never drink it again. I have had very good beers from Pikes and this was my least favorite.

08-02-2012 01:57:42 | More by aaronbess
brentk56

3.03/5  rDev -16.1%

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color; not a particularly impressive head for the style, but it works, I guess, and delivers a smattering of lace

Smell: Wheat bread, candi sugar and some fusel alcohol; has a hint of yeasty funk that was not particularly enticing

Taste: Wheat bread and mostly tropical fruit (papaya, apple and melon), with a building candi sugar aspect; after the swallow, the fusel alcohol hits and brings a harshness that overwhelms

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation; has a more American feel than a Belgian

Overall: Well, the price is right, but this beer does not play to Pike's strengths - a rather clumsy attempt at the style

06-11-2012 22:07:10 | More by brentk56
diamondc

3.65/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Pale, golden, very cloudy. Some decent head retention and spotty lacing.

S: Big tropical fruit aroma, cantaloupe, grape bubblegum, a bit of peppery spice. Nice.

T: Big clove flavor, honeydew, and a sort of out of place pine hop flavor that I didn't expect.

M: A bit hot, kind of flat, a little less carbonation I usually like when drinking a tripel.

O: A good tripel for the price ($5 a bomber), but there's too many other good beers in this style more worthy of drinking.

06-09-2012 04:29:50 | More by diamondc
BryanCarey

3.73/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Golden in color and slightly cloudy, Monks Uncle is a complex brew that starts off with a nose that is fruity and spicy. A good pour produces a nice head of foam, but the larger than average bubbles do not hold together very long.

Taste- wise, this beer offers flavors of Belgian yeast, citrus, and candy. There is some caramel malt flavor hiding behind the fruits and sugar, but these latter tastes are the ones that stand out. The taste of alcohol is also evident, but the fruit and candy are what you remember best.

I like a good Belgian Tripel and I find Monks Uncle a good effort at duplicating this style. It does have some interesting tasting notes and it makes a good beer for those times when you want to sit and sip, and concentrate on the flavors within.

05-04-2012 03:33:33 | More by BryanCarey
n2185

3.08/5  rDev -14.7%

A: Pours a murky yellow-gold with a finger of white head that fades into a frothy ring with no lacing.

S: Subtle spices up front followed by lots of sweet bubblegum with some candy sugar as well. The finish smells of chalky yeast.

T: Light spice notes at first followed by strong flavors of candy and bubblegum sweetness. The finish is yeasty with a decent bitterness that lingers.

M: Medium body with cola-like carbonation, this beer is a bit thick and underattenuated for the style.

O: While this tripel is not bad, it's not particularly good, either. Even decanted the yeast flavors are too strong and overly bitter. The beer is also thicker and sweeter than I like for the style. Still, it's drinkable.

04-10-2012 23:04:13 | More by n2185
gshak

2.98/5  rDev -17.5%

No bottling date on the 22 oz bottle. Poured into my goblet:
A - pours flat and no discernible head...highly unusual for a belgian beer of any kind.
S - this is where it is coming undone for me. Smells like wet hay, cloves, and some musty dank earth. Even for a saison this would only be passable, and for a tripel, nearly damning. Where are the aromas of bananas, coriander, bubblegum, spices? Unclear whether it's just my bottle or if it's the beer - but this sure is unimpressive.
T - saison-like funk and earth.
M - medium bodied with minimal carbonation.
O - worth a shot if only for the price. There are better pours even at this price point...

04-05-2012 20:54:05 | More by gshak
TheYeagermeister

3.5/5  rDev -3%

A--Cloudy dark yellow. Small fizzy head that evaporates quickly and leaves no trace.
S--Typical belgian candy sugar, yeast, banana and clove. Maybe some light pineapple, and alcohol.
T--Sort of a sweet citrus flavor up front with yeast, and a boozy, semi bitter finish. Pretty boozy in general. Sweet throughout with elements of fruit--banana, pear, light orange. It does have a bit of a tangy hop bite which lingers in the aftertaste.
M--Thick and chewy.
O--Decent Belgian, but maybe I am getting snobby...I want to say I've had way better.

03-26-2012 03:39:15 | More by TheYeagermeister