Monk's Uncle Tripel - Pike Pub & Brewery

good

Pike Pub & Brewery visit their website
Washington, United States

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: bodybyadam on 01-04-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Monk's Uncle Tripel Alström Bros

mikepcarney, Feb 02, 2013

powdersoldier, Jan 27, 2013
3.45/5  rDev -4.7%

A friend of mine buys this all the time. I don't mind. Looks like other Belgians, nice light straw color, slight chill haze, solid white head of bubbles, lacing etc. Smells like peaches or something from an orchard. Taste lets me down a bit with offerings of grape/apple-like almost sherry flavors. Very alcoholic on the back of the tongue, some pepperiness finish. Feels nice and thick in the mouth, swished around a bit and the bubbles come to life. Overall, not a bad beer, especially when my buddy is overspending for it. There are better Trippels on the shelf for less money.

khensley, Jan 24, 2013

Kelp, Jan 24, 2013

thehead92, Jan 24, 2013

KiMiRaiK, Jan 19, 2013

fatlabrats, Jan 14, 2013
3.7/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a cloudy rather dirty gold color with a thin weak head but nice lacing. The smell is a bit of a musty/yeasty citrus and apricot. The first sip was surprisingly malty, much more so than I expected. At first this was a bit off putting. However the second sip the hops came through and it was definitely more well balanced. Despite the thin head it has enough carbonation to let you know it's there without blasting you with fireworks. Nice sour notes on the back end. And nearing the bottom of the glass as my palette adjusted the bitterness of the hops yielded to more sweetness. I like it when a beer can put on a show like that! Generally speaking, Pike Brewery has not impressed me, but kept trying and I finally found one of their beers that I really liked. Monk's Uncle is delightful and definitely worth a try.

Kevin73, Jan 12, 2013
4.1/5  rDev +13.3%

I am excited to drink this one. We did their IPA a few months ago, and I am excited to try their tripel. Especially after reading those tasting notes! I haven't been to Seattle, but Sheryl has. She went out there last year (or was it this year) and stayed in Pike Place. That is where they toss the fish and where Starbucks poured their first cup of coffee. We will be going out there in 2013 and plan to stay in Pike Place. This beer actually went from the brewery to Indiana and from Indiana to Arizona. I hope it still tastes good! Regardless, I am on a tear right now with Belgian beers, and am excited to try this Belgian-style tripel from a brewery that knows how to make good beer. Let's drink, people!

In the Glass: I was worried this wouldn't be good since it traveled from Indiana. We have lost a few beers in the move. Speaking of the move, it is weird to think we have been here over 6 months now. I still don't feel like I live in Arizona. At any rate, this beer looks nice and cloudy in the glass. It has a thick head, and a lace that seems to hang on for dear life. If someone handed me this, I would think it was a hefeweizen before a tripel.

Nose: It smells sweet and somewhat yeasty. As with all the beers we drink, this one is right from the fridge. I am sure I am losing some aroma with it being cold. It is funny to see American breweries trying to make Belgian beers. In Belgium, one brewery might use one set of ingredients in their tripel while another brewery uses a totally different number of ingredients. To breweries in Belgium, whatever they want to make their tripel taste like is how they make it… and no two breweries must use the same recipe. Keeps things interesting, I suppose! Let's see what this brew tastes like.

Flavor: Oh yeah, that's nice. Smooth and almost super sweet on the palate leading to a wicked aftertaste. That is what a tripel is supposed to taste like! There are a lot of flavors going on here, too. At first it exposed on the tongue and has a somewhat flat flavor to it. Then it slides back, and as you swallow the sweetness really comes to the surface. The aftertaste, which we will get to, lingers on and is getting dry as I sit here. The flavor is well balanced, and has a nice overall consistency. It is a little too thin to be a Belgian tripel from Belgium, but for someone that is new to craft beer, and is new to Belgian beers, he or she would never know the difference.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is really nice. At first, it is smooth, weak, and somewhat flat. Then, as you swallow, the flavors explode on the tongue leading to a polished and consistent aftertaste. You would never know this was 9% ABV, either. Considering they have only been making this since 2006, I am impressed with this attempt to replicate a Belgian beer. Good work, Pike!

Aftertaste: This might be my favorite part of the beer. I like dry flavors, which is why I have been getting into gin lately. This doesn't taste like gin, but the aftertaste is very dry and reminds me of what I experience when drinking a nice load gin. The dryness doesn't wear off, either and just sits there for five minutes (or more) as I type. Every swallow the taste changes just a little bit making me excited to see what is next.

Like I said, I haven't been to Seattle. I am planning on going next year. When I do, I will definitely be checking this brewery out. I wonder what else they have available. They impressed me with their IPA, and they have impressed me with their tripel… I am sure they will continue to impress me with their other offerings. Keep up the good work, Pike! Bottoms up.

rickyleepotts, Dec 31, 2012
3.3/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured from a brown 2 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is fruits, malts, yeast.Taste is boozy, fruits, some malts, alcohol well pronounced. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a decent beer, but a bit boozy and less flavorful than other Tripels I have had.

tone77, Dec 18, 2012

t0rin0, Dec 08, 2012
3.45/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A - pours clear yellow color with a frothy head that dissipates rather quickly

S - nose is sweet candied fruits and grainy malts

T - this starts off with sweet candied flavors. The sweetness moves on to some grainy malts flavors. More sweet sugary candied fruity flavors and a touch of bitter hops come in on the finish.

M - a little thin and not much carbonation

D - Overall, this is a pretty decent tripel. Pretty sweet and not as complex as others (hoping for more fruity flavors), but the 9% booze is well hidden. At the price point, this one is hard to beat.

birchstick, Dec 04, 2012

dkw0063, Dec 01, 2012
4.08/5  rDev +12.7%

Served on tap into a tulip glass at the brewpub

A- Poured a nice golden color, clear with visible streaming carbonation, a frothy white head that left minimal lace

S- Big bubblegum, citrus, grape, white wine, and pilsner malt aroma. Pretty strong aroma with lots of belgian yeast character.

T- Big bubblegum, grape, white wine, citrus, pepper, pilsner malt flavor, and some alcohol flavor on the finish

M- Very dry, high carbonation, very effervescent, some nice alcohol warming

O- Very solid belgian-style tripel with high drinkability.

Hoptometrist, Nov 24, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

Braz, Nov 23, 2012

tastymug, Nov 16, 2012
4.48/5  rDev +23.8%

Enjoyed this bomber bottle out of a pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy golden hue with a thick, 2-finger, white head that slowly dissipates leaving a nice trail and persistent lace.

S: Belgian yeast aroma with a fruity background.

T: Sweet Belgian candi and yeast flavor. Fruity background with hints of honey.

M: Medium body and carbonation.

O: One of the best tripels I’ve ever had. Worth a try and then some.

ckollias, Oct 31, 2012

simonmoyse, Sep 02, 2012

twelveinches, Aug 28, 2012
3.63/5  rDev +0.3%

Review from notes.

A: Pours a hazy yellow with a foamy head that reduces rather quickly. Sporadic lacing.

S: Belgian yeast, some banana, faint apple and pear, and a good bit of spices, mostly cloves.

T: Lots of wheat, more banana, and the Belgian yeast comes through with some more cloves.

M: Medium bodied with active carbonation. Pretty smooth for 9%.

O: A pretty good tripel, one of the better beers I had at Pike.

mdaschaf, Aug 20, 2012