Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Monk's Uncle Tripel | The Pike Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
good
good
Read the review

Monk's Uncle TripelMonk's Uncle Tripel

The Pike Brewing Company
Washington, United States | website

Style: Tripel

Added by bodybyadam on 01-04-2007

Reviews: 137 | Ratings: 313
3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

A friend of mine buys this all the time. I don't mind. Looks like other Belgians, nice light straw color, slight chill haze, solid white head of bubbles, lacing etc. Smells like peaches or something from an orchard. Taste lets me down a bit with offerings of grape/apple-like almost sherry flavors. Very alcoholic on the back of the tongue, some pepperiness finish. Feels nice and thick in the mouth, swished around a bit and the bubbles come to life. Overall, not a bad beer, especially when my buddy is overspending for it. There are better Trippels on the shelf for less money.

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a cloudy rather dirty gold color with a thin weak head but nice lacing. The smell is a bit of a musty/yeasty citrus and apricot. The first sip was surprisingly malty, much more so than I expected. At first this was a bit off putting. However the second sip the hops came through and it was definitely more well balanced. Despite the thin head it has enough carbonation to let you know it's there without blasting you with fireworks. Nice sour notes on the back end. And nearing the bottom of the glass as my palette adjusted the bitterness of the hops yielded to more sweetness. I like it when a beer can put on a show like that! Generally speaking, Pike Brewery has not impressed me, but kept trying and I finally found one of their beers that I really liked. Monk's Uncle is delightful and definitely worth a try.

4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

I am excited to drink this one. We did their IPA a few months ago, and I am excited to try their tripel. Especially after reading those tasting notes! I haven't been to Seattle, but Sheryl has. She went out there last year (or was it this year) and stayed in Pike Place. That is where they toss the fish and where Starbucks poured their first cup of coffee. We will be going out there in 2013 and plan to stay in Pike Place. This beer actually went from the brewery to Indiana and from Indiana to Arizona. I hope it still tastes good! Regardless, I am on a tear right now with Belgian beers, and am excited to try this Belgian-style tripel from a brewery that knows how to make good beer. Let's drink, people!

In the Glass: I was worried this wouldn't be good since it traveled from Indiana. We have lost a few beers in the move. Speaking of the move, it is weird to think we have been here over 6 months now. I still don't feel like I live in Arizona. At any rate, this beer looks nice and cloudy in the glass. It has a thick head, and a lace that seems to hang on for dear life. If someone handed me this, I would think it was a hefeweizen before a tripel.

Nose: It smells sweet and somewhat yeasty. As with all the beers we drink, this one is right from the fridge. I am sure I am losing some aroma with it being cold. It is funny to see American breweries trying to make Belgian beers. In Belgium, one brewery might use one set of ingredients in their tripel while another brewery uses a totally different number of ingredients. To breweries in Belgium, whatever they want to make their tripel taste like is how they make it… and no two breweries must use the same recipe. Keeps things interesting, I suppose! Let's see what this brew tastes like.

Flavor: Oh yeah, that's nice. Smooth and almost super sweet on the palate leading to a wicked aftertaste. That is what a tripel is supposed to taste like! There are a lot of flavors going on here, too. At first it exposed on the tongue and has a somewhat flat flavor to it. Then it slides back, and as you swallow the sweetness really comes to the surface. The aftertaste, which we will get to, lingers on and is getting dry as I sit here. The flavor is well balanced, and has a nice overall consistency. It is a little too thin to be a Belgian tripel from Belgium, but for someone that is new to craft beer, and is new to Belgian beers, he or she would never know the difference.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is really nice. At first, it is smooth, weak, and somewhat flat. Then, as you swallow, the flavors explode on the tongue leading to a polished and consistent aftertaste. You would never know this was 9% ABV, either. Considering they have only been making this since 2006, I am impressed with this attempt to replicate a Belgian beer. Good work, Pike!

Aftertaste: This might be my favorite part of the beer. I like dry flavors, which is why I have been getting into gin lately. This doesn't taste like gin, but the aftertaste is very dry and reminds me of what I experience when drinking a nice load gin. The dryness doesn't wear off, either and just sits there for five minutes (or more) as I type. Every swallow the taste changes just a little bit making me excited to see what is next.

Like I said, I haven't been to Seattle. I am planning on going next year. When I do, I will definitely be checking this brewery out. I wonder what else they have available. They impressed me with their IPA, and they have impressed me with their tripel… I am sure they will continue to impress me with their other offerings. Keep up the good work, Pike! Bottoms up.

3.33/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured from a brown 2 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is fruits, malts, yeast.Taste is boozy, fruits, some malts, alcohol well pronounced. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a decent beer, but a bit boozy and less flavorful than other Tripels I have had.

3.45/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A - pours clear yellow color with a frothy head that dissipates rather quickly

S - nose is sweet candied fruits and grainy malts

T - this starts off with sweet candied flavors. The sweetness moves on to some grainy malts flavors. More sweet sugary candied fruity flavors and a touch of bitter hops come in on the finish.

M - a little thin and not much carbonation

D - Overall, this is a pretty decent tripel. Pretty sweet and not as complex as others (hoping for more fruity flavors), but the 9% booze is well hidden. At the price point, this one is hard to beat.

4.08/5  rDev +13.6%

Served on tap into a tulip glass at the brewpub

A- Poured a nice golden color, clear with visible streaming carbonation, a frothy white head that left minimal lace

S- Big bubblegum, citrus, grape, white wine, and pilsner malt aroma. Pretty strong aroma with lots of belgian yeast character.

T- Big bubblegum, grape, white wine, citrus, pepper, pilsner malt flavor, and some alcohol flavor on the finish

M- Very dry, high carbonation, very effervescent, some nice alcohol warming

O- Very solid belgian-style tripel with high drinkability.

4.47/5  rDev +24.5%

Enjoyed this bomber bottle out of a pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy golden hue with a thick, 2-finger, white head that slowly dissipates leaving a nice trail and persistent lace.

S: Belgian yeast aroma with a fruity background.

T: Sweet Belgian candi and yeast flavor. Fruity background with hints of honey.

M: Medium body and carbonation.

O: One of the best tripels I’ve ever had. Worth a try and then some.

Review from notes.

A: Pours a hazy yellow with a foamy head that reduces rather quickly. Sporadic lacing.

S: Belgian yeast, some banana, faint apple and pear, and a good bit of spices, mostly cloves.

T: Lots of wheat, more banana, and the Belgian yeast comes through with some more cloves.

M: Medium bodied with active carbonation. Pretty smooth for 9%.

O: A pretty good tripel, one of the better beers I had at Pike.

2.19/5  rDev -39%

I was hoping for more. Poured a nice inch head. Cloudy like a heffie. Tastes a bit like it was laced with lavender and bubblegum in a bad way.
Overall I would never drink it again. I have had very good beers from Pikes and this was my least favorite.

On-tap at the brewery in Seattle.

Pours a hazed yellow colour, with a very firm and full head of white. Body is surprisingly thick and weighty: certainly bigger than usual for even a big Belgian beer as this is. Lots of carbonation streaming through however. Looks good overall.

Stacks of bubblegum on the nose: cheap trading card bubblegum at that. Slight hints of lemon and banana, along with, yes, a touch of spice. Overall, it's impressive in its power, and really quite good stylistically overall.

Taste is smooth, with yet more bubblegum and banana, but also with a bunch of spicy esters and phenols giving a touch of wintergreen and biting pepper on the back palate. Again, it's good stuff stylistically. Feel is smooth, but chewy.

Good work. A genuinely solid tripel. My only hesitation is the excess phenolics and the wintergreen character—it'd make it super smooth all over. And that would make it a pretty spectacularly drinkable brew.

3.03/5  rDev -15.6%

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color; not a particularly impressive head for the style, but it works, I guess, and delivers a smattering of lace

Smell: Wheat bread, candi sugar and some fusel alcohol; has a hint of yeasty funk that was not particularly enticing

Taste: Wheat bread and mostly tropical fruit (papaya, apple and melon), with a building candi sugar aspect; after the swallow, the fusel alcohol hits and brings a harshness that overwhelms

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation; has a more American feel than a Belgian

Overall: Well, the price is right, but this beer does not play to Pike's strengths - a rather clumsy attempt at the style

3.69/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Pale, golden, very cloudy. Some decent head retention and spotty lacing.

S: Big tropical fruit aroma, cantaloupe, grape bubblegum, a bit of peppery spice. Nice.

T: Big clove flavor, honeydew, and a sort of out of place pine hop flavor that I didn't expect.

M: A bit hot, kind of flat, a little less carbonation I usually like when drinking a tripel.

O: A good tripel for the price ($5 a bomber), but there's too many other good beers in this style more worthy of drinking.

3.7/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Golden in color and slightly cloudy, Monks Uncle is a complex brew that starts off with a nose that is fruity and spicy. A good pour produces a nice head of foam, but the larger than average bubbles do not hold together very long.

Taste- wise, this beer offers flavors of Belgian yeast, citrus, and candy. There is some caramel malt flavor hiding behind the fruits and sugar, but these latter tastes are the ones that stand out. The taste of alcohol is also evident, but the fruit and candy are what you remember best.

I like a good Belgian Tripel and I find Monks Uncle a good effort at duplicating this style. It does have some interesting tasting notes and it makes a good beer for those times when you want to sit and sip, and concentrate on the flavors within.

3.09/5  rDev -13.9%

A: Pours a murky yellow-gold with a finger of white head that fades into a frothy ring with no lacing.

S: Subtle spices up front followed by lots of sweet bubblegum with some candy sugar as well. The finish smells of chalky yeast.

T: Light spice notes at first followed by strong flavors of candy and bubblegum sweetness. The finish is yeasty with a decent bitterness that lingers.

M: Medium body with cola-like carbonation, this beer is a bit thick and underattenuated for the style.

O: While this tripel is not bad, it's not particularly good, either. Even decanted the yeast flavors are too strong and overly bitter. The beer is also thicker and sweeter than I like for the style. Still, it's drinkable.

2.97/5  rDev -17.3%

No bottling date on the 22 oz bottle. Poured into my goblet:
A - pours flat and no discernible head...highly unusual for a belgian beer of any kind.
S - this is where it is coming undone for me. Smells like wet hay, cloves, and some musty dank earth. Even for a saison this would only be passable, and for a tripel, nearly damning. Where are the aromas of bananas, coriander, bubblegum, spices? Unclear whether it's just my bottle or if it's the beer - but this sure is unimpressive.
T - saison-like funk and earth.
M - medium bodied with minimal carbonation.
O - worth a shot if only for the price. There are better pours even at this price point...

3.51/5  rDev -2.2%

A--Cloudy dark yellow. Small fizzy head that evaporates quickly and leaves no trace.
S--Typical belgian candy sugar, yeast, banana and clove. Maybe some light pineapple, and alcohol.
T--Sort of a sweet citrus flavor up front with yeast, and a boozy, semi bitter finish. Pretty boozy in general. Sweet throughout with elements of fruit--banana, pear, light orange. It does have a bit of a tangy hop bite which lingers in the aftertaste.
M--Thick and chewy.
O--Decent Belgian, but maybe I am getting snobby...I want to say I've had way better.

3.38/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours hazy yeast yellow with a large bubbly head that dies down relatively quickly.

Smells like Belgian banana clove esters sitting next to a punch of piney hops. Wait, what? Hops?

The hop bitterness shows through in the taste. The rest of the flavor is wheaty, malty, and covered in oodles of esters you'd expect from a tripel but what the heck is hop bitterness doing in here?

Mouthfeel is good. Sharp bubbly CO2, light body that goes down easy. Only slightly sweet. Pretty good.

I liked this beer. Don't get me wrong. It was just that sharp hoppy bitterness and alcoholic kick that threw me off in this. Otherwise I did like it. Really, a Belgain Tripel is supposed to be like Oprah Winfrey. Packing a ton, but due to the magic of production hiding it's body. This beer flaunts it's alcohol content in it's flavor.

3.32/5  rDev -7.5%

22oz bottle poured into a goblet.

A: Slightly hazy light golden color. One finger white fizzy head with disappointing retention and lacing.

S: Coriander spiciness and lemon. Belgian yeast. Some citrusy notes. A touch light.

T: Belgian yeast upfront. Coriander, lemon, and spices in the middle. A little caramel sweetness throughout.

M: Medium bodied. Medium carbonation.

O: It's a decent Tripel. I haven't had many of this style but this is just decent to me.

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

I liked this from a bottle, but the stuff that I had last night, from a keg, was spectacular!

Slightly hazy appearance, but not distractingly so. Lovely amber color.
Smelled terrific. Mostly yeast, but some sweeter notes as well.
The taste was out of this world! A party in my mouth. Candy sweet, followed by a yeast burst, followed by a touch of bitterness.
The brew was on the thick side, and it worked well with the alcohol level and the style.
Overall it was a near perfect brew, losing only a few points on appearance and smell but that's a subjective thing.

Highly recommended by me!

3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

A friend of mind gave this to me as a Christmas present!

I poured this into a snifter.

A: It poured sort of an apricot-peach color, extremely and consistently cloudy, and not much head to speak of... maybe a couple of bubbles here and there.

S: This was far too cold to get anything at first, but after I let it warm for a few minutes, I got some really Belgian funk notes. The citrus component was of the mandarin orange variety... rolled in tons of sugar.

T: This beer is the closest to mimicking Unibroue's taste profile without actually being Unibroue that I've ever tasted. It's uncanny actually. I got that sort of booze-infused toasted orange that I commonly associate with their signature. The way the candy sugar worked its way into my palate really worked here.

M: Some of the booze that I got on the first few sips started to subside, and all of the flavors started to come together. There was virtually no lacing, and this was a sipper for sure!

O: There was nothing complex here, but definitely a lot to appreciate. I haven't tasted a bright, straight-forward trippel like this in a while and enjoyed my session with it.

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Delirium Tremens snifter. No readable freshness date.

A- Pours a cloudy light gold color with a 1/2 inch head that resolves quickly into an 1/8 inch ring around the edge of the glass and some typical surface bubbles.

S- Aroma of crisp Belgian style yeast. Alcohol fumes are coming on strong. Has a somewhat sour smell too.

T- Man, this has some kick. Strong esters from the high alcohol combined with intense yeast that also provide some banana notes. No sour notes like the aroma hinted at though. Boozy aftertaste as it starts to warm sooner than expected. A bit overzealous if you ask me.

M- Medium carbonation sets the stage for a kick in the palate. Not bad, all things considered.

O- This is a good beer but all it does is remind me of better Tripels. Could use some more balance. A decent stab at the style though.

3.67/5  rDev +2.2%

22oz bottle (no dates or codes; purchased in April 2011) poured into a tulip. Pours a crystal clear golden color w/ a clean white head, light carbonation.

Aroma is mild floral Belgian yeast and pale malt. A little mustiness, some light spicy notes.

Taste generally follows nose. Floral, musty, slightly spicy. Some bitterness, medium body, clean finish.

Overall this is an OK beer but it doesn't stand out in any way. In a field crowded with outstanding tripels, there's not much reason to come back to this one.

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into regular pint glass.

A - Poured hazy golden orange color with big white head that quickly dissipated leaving light lacing around the glass.

S - Mostly citrus, apple and earthy spices.

T - Sweet brown sugar, honey with apple fruitness followed by malts and yeast with citrus bitterness and slightly spicy finish. Alcohol is not masked at all.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

O - Good representative of tripel from US brewery but ABV is not hidden at all and this tripel comes through as too boozy.

Got home from a tasting tonight and have decided to hit the stash and drink a tripel. This beer reminds of my trip to Washington State and Pike Brewery in Seattle. 22 oz. beer was poured into a large Duvel snifter.

Appearance: The beer poured a 1.5 finger head that has reduced quickly and left some lacing along the glass. Pours a nice hazy/foggy yellow color with slight signs of carbonation

Smell: bananas, raisins, sweet malts, grains, honey, app;es, and spices like cloves. Can't wait to try a sip.

Taste: Same as smell. Delicious. Alcohol is hidden very well in this beer. Got to take another sip.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, nicely carbonated, easy on the palate, and I just want more to dirnk. Bomber is almost done.

Overall: Even though I am not going to Pike Street anytime soon in Seattle a few blocks from the Public Market, at least I can get some of their beers at local places to remind me of the awesome trip around the Olympic Peninsula and ferry ride into Seattle. A good tripel worth the money. Can't wait to get another bottle.

3.61/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

22 ounce bottle - $4.99 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a hazy, tarnished gold body with a near-tall, foaming, near white head.

Smell: A sweetish, faintly grainy, faintly tangy nose of pilsner malt and malted wheat. A somewhat heavy helping of clove-like spiciness, and a fair inclusion of alcohol on the nose. Fruity elements in the back of pears, apples, and 'nanas.

Taste: A blend of pils, pale, and wheat malt with a medium level of honeyesque sweetness and hint of baked loaf bread. Sip of banana, Golden Delicious apple, and tart pear juice that's been well (over) spiced with finely-ground cloves and cinnamon and given an extra spicy boost from the hops. Splash of spirits noticed. Drying, spicy finish with a hint of booze.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium-plus carbonation.

Overall: It's decent, acceptable, but in some ways distant from being a truly noteworthy American-bred tripel (though the cost is relatively competitive, I will say that).

Monk's Uncle Tripel from The Pike Brewing Company