Monk's Uncle Tripel - Pike Pub & Brewery

good

Pike Pub & Brewery visit their website
Washington, United States

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: bodybyadam on 01-04-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Monk's Uncle Tripel Alström Bros
2.11/5  rDev -41.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Wow. The first thing that hit me was it was reminiscent of drinking a coors or bud but hoppy like an IPA. the smell was very familiar like that. My first inclination was to dump it in the sink and chalk it up as an experiment gone bad but I couldn't bring myself to waste beer, even something that was as nasty as this. I'm thinking maybe I got a bad one. I could not read the bottling date. Possibly bought it past its prime, but it was just purchased at Costco a few weeks ago.
Obviously I will not be going back here again. Triple is just not my style I guess.

vautman110, Mar 13, 2014
1.75/5  rDev -51.7%

JaredGolia, Mar 13, 2014

ToxicSmurf, Feb 17, 2014

DOCRW, Feb 15, 2014
3.21/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

22oz bomber served in pint glass. Beer is pale golden in color, not quite translucent, and topped with very little white head. Sweet and fruity on the nose, suggesting ripe peaches or pears. Flavor is highly contrasted, combining the sweetness detected in the armoa with yeasty astringency and a moderate dose of hops. Grain flavors are muddled and fall into the background with everything else going on here. There's also a serious presence of alcohol. At 9%, there are other tripels that hide it a lot better, and with more interesting flavor. The finish is neither sugary nor crisp. Rather, there's a cloying flavor of what I can only describe as stale spices (clove, cinnamon) that have lost their potency and are now bland, dry, and harsh. (I should note that though there's no freshness date, this beer was purchased recently, and locally, so I have no qualms above reviewing it).

Drinkable but would recommend not committing to a large serving.

hreb, Jan 12, 2014

foxyaardvark27, Jan 10, 2014

bareju, Jan 03, 2014

jaydoc, Dec 29, 2013

ladypoojorts, Dec 18, 2013
3.41/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The aroma had all the classic Tripel notes of bubblegum and Belgian yeast followed by the same classic notes in the taste with a bit of the clove spiciness and candy sweetness. The biggest disappointment was the finish. Every sip ended with a bitter back-end that was not good. Don’t get me wrong, I can take bitter as I love the hoppy IPA’s, but this bitter ending is not what I look for in a tripel. With the high alcohol content, I took my time, and as it warmed the taste and aroma remained consistent as did that bitter finish. In the end it left me a little underwhelmed as I expect a lot out of a Belgian style Tripel. It was definitely worth a try, but I will probably grab a different Tripel in the future

brurevu, Dec 17, 2013

Alex5, Dec 10, 2013
3.14/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Very little head is formed on top as the beer is poured into a wide mouth goblet, yet there's still some lacing hanging around the edges of the glass. As for its color, it looks apricot colored. The aroma is agreeable, showing me aromas of toasted sugar, decent white pepper, hints of candied apricot. It brings hope for the taste, however I discover that the taste is not anything special. The hope of a good taste is there; white pepper and apricot skins driving the hope, as does the alcohol being hidden. A few flaws are noted; there's a vegetal note, the taste of off-flavored cereals, and an unpleasant bitterness in its aftertaste. Meld it together and the taste is just "okay". Compared to other tripels, it's disappointing.

If this beer were made from the uncle of a monk, then I would lose the uncle.

DoubleJ, Dec 09, 2013

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

BillRoth, Oct 22, 2013

Zach122, Oct 21, 2013
3.94/5  rDev +8.8%

What, a full bodied Ale, did this Beer come from Germany?, nope...Seattle. I was not sure but I really like this Beer, it is an all occasion beer and good for America, I thought only Germans could brew an ale like this one. Be sure to let your mom taste one and see what she thinks.

ssteakley, Oct 15, 2013