Pike Entire - Wood Aged Stout - Pike Pub & Brewery

good

Pike Pub & Brewery visit their website
Washington, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: barleywinefiend on 12-06-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pike Entire - Wood Aged Stout Alström Bros

joefc, Dec 05, 2012
1.25/5  rDev -66.5%

22oz bottle from 2009 into Stone shaker pint. bottle lists ABV at 9.5%.

A: poured pitch black with what looked like a nice viscosity, but instantly turned to an expansive froth. after a handful of minutes the huge froth disappeared, leaving about half a glass of what originally poured from the bottle.

S: infected, sour mess...with hints of a barrel-aged stout.

T: awful.

M: it didn't stay in my mouth long enough to get a good read.

D: not drinkable...drain poured and an insane amount of froth filled my sink!

alamode, Feb 13, 2011
1.85/5  rDev -50.4%

This 2009 bottle pours 96.4% milk chocolate colored foam, settles to 0.5cm cap on an opaque black body. Not looking too promising.

Smells like bile was mixed with some bitter dark chocolate. A scoach of something oddly savory. Eesh..

Tastes less nasty than it smells. Mildly sour bitter chocolate with a weird off something. Finish is unpleasantly vegetal. There lurks beneath a decent imperial stout with some vanilla and oak.

Despite the overcarbonation there is some decent body here with fullness suggested by the explosive carbonation. Somewhat silky. Not awful.

Clearly infected. Would like to try the beer as the brewer intended it.

MrFootstones, Apr 21, 2011
1.9/5  rDev -49.1%

I'm so bummed to write this review.

In May, I visited Pike Brewery several times over the course of my trip to Seattle. I had a blast at night for a party, then had an even better time hanging out and meeting nice beer folks the next day. I even bought a bunch of shirts and glasses. The 5X was the beer that will always remind me of my trip, great times exploring a wonderful city.

Since then, I've ordered the 5X through mail order places several times, promoted Pike's product to my friends, and worn my T-Shirt so much it's starting to fade.

I was giddy the morning I saw Liquid Solutions had this up. I bought 6 bottles on the spot. Well, I'm no longer a devout Pike fan after this disgrace of a beer. Have the decency to not release a product that you know is infected, it costs a lot less than loosing your reputation!

Poured from a waxed bottle into my tulip.

Oh shit - it's foaming up. The air smells like bourbon and sour funk - it smells like I just mixed an Ommegang Rouge and a shot of Makers. Not good, this is going to be a heartbreaker. My glass is 1/4 black liquid and 3/4 mocah head that is overflowing. G-R-E-A-T.

Tastes like I feared. There is a decent enough beer buried somewhere in here, but a sour taste just makes it completely lost. On top of the absurdly thin mouth on this, it also is so damn carbonated I can't even taste all the details. Mouthfeel is the worst I've ever had for a Stout. Sharp and really feels like pop rocks on my lips.

Pike, I love your amazing space in perhaps the greatest city in this country. I really enjoy your 5X stout. But a passionate promoter of your brewery just became a disenchanted customer - all because a special premium version of your premier product was unfit to be released but you released it anyway. I'll still happily quaff your releases when I find them on tap, but I won't be paying a premium to get your products shipped to me in Cleveland, OH any more. Please do the right thing and don't release an infected beer like this again. You're doing a disservice to both your fans and those who don't know any better. We've grown to expect much, much more from you.

jampics2, Dec 01, 2009
2.25/5  rDev -39.7%

Pours a ...Whoa, we got a gusher, tons of foam. Dark black body with an enourmous tan head, great retention. Smells of oak, earthiness, Brett like funk, some chocolate and coffee, soft citrus fruits. Tastes of semi-sweet coffee and chocolate like malt with a fairly strong undertone of oak. Touch of citrus fruit and sourness. Bitterness is fairly moderate leading to a chocolate like dryness. Carbonation way too high for this style.

Overall, pretty disappointed, definitely infected. It almost smelled like a lambic for gods sake. Too bad, this could have been a very promising beer, but the excess carbonation really messes with all the flavors in this beer. I hope Pike is more careful in the future, i definitely won't be buying from them for a while.

bum732, Jan 08, 2010
2.6/5  rDev -30.3%

Explosive brown foamy look. Chocolate and wood aroma with a lager background. Sharp bite, mineral, molasses, alcohol, and a dry wood finish. Tinges of metal creep up. Foamy and acidic feel.

I picked this up and it may have been sitting around in a distributor warehouse (it was an '09). It foamed up substantially but oddly, despite all the problems, I actually somewhat enjoyed it. Maybe it was because it sat so long the alcohol changed into a more potent hallucinogen.

Bfarr, Mar 05, 2011
2.65/5  rDev -29%

A- This one pours a....er....ah... an entire pint glass full of tan colored foam. This is gonna take awhile. Ridiculous, 25 mins later I finally got a beer that's drinkable, well maybe I do, this has obviously been infected like many others.

S- Smells of funk and oak mainly. Faint traces of chocolate, roasted malts and vanilla. I'm considering a drain pour, I'm not sure I want to try this.

T- Okay the funk is here, but not as bad as I thought it would be. A strong roasted malt and coffee flavor upfront. Bittersweet chocolate & woodiness in the middle. Finishes dry and bitter.

M- Carbonation is way over the top, body is to thin for an Imperial Stout.

D- No idea why they even released this if they knew there was a problem, I think this cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $15. This might turn me off of Pike for good.

Dawkfan, Jan 24, 2010
2.65/5  rDev -29%

A: Pours dark black with a mocha colored head. Good retention and some chunky lace.

S: Roasty malt, caramel, and dark chocolate.

T: Wow sour... this one is infected. Beneath the infection you can still pick up dark malt, chocolate, and tart dark fruit.

M: Medium in body, the tartness from the infection is overthetop and as you can expect ruins the beer.

D: Nah, would love to rerate with a good bottle.

tpd975, Feb 13, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -27.6%

I've had 2 bottles of this beer from 2 different sources and both have been infected. Emails from the brewery state that this beer is the way it supposed to be albeit a little over carbonated so I will review it as is.
Pours a solid black with about 3/4 of a glass of tightly bubbled tan foam. I pour four ounces or so then I wait 10 minutes and pour some more.
Nose definitely has a Belgianesque character to it. Smells a bit tart but hidden deep underneath I get some roasty and chocolatey stout like aromas. There's some vanilla and bourbon in there as well.
Taste is less tart than the aroma. Up front I get a blast of dark fruits and a slight spicy Belgian yeast twang. Fruits continue midway then slowly fade to reveal some oakey vanilla and bourbon, chocolate and roast. Finishes with a long lingering roast and hop bitterness. It actually doesn't taste half bad, but it is turning sour.
Carbonation is off the charts, body is medium to thick, mouthfeel is bubbly like seltzer water.
I have to ding this one pretty good because it is infected despite what the brewery wants me to believe. It didn't taste half bad, but it also didn't taste the way an American double stout should taste. The mouthfeel was totally ruined by the insane level of carbonation.
At $15.00 a bottle, never again.

johnnnniee, Feb 07, 2010
2.75/5  rDev -26.3%

Served from a 22oz. bottle at EBF 2010 in Boston, MA into a tasting glass at the appropriate temperature (02/20/10).

A: It had to be poured out extremely slowly so I was already anticipating some over the top carbonation. Once it was finally in the glass, it was quite dark with a one finger light tan head.

S: Aroma is of wood, roasted malt, chocolate and perhaps some bitter coffee or chocolate.

T: The taste is truly hard to decipher from the extreme carbonation. From what i can detect this is certainly a wood aged stout with layers of chocolate, and bitter chocolate.

M: Oh dear! The carbonation is so high that the flavor is almost completely masked. I feel bad giving any beer such a low score, but the mouthfeel here is truly awful. This is perhaps the most carbonated beer or perhaps beverage I have ever had.

D: The extreme carbonation really limits this one.

Overall this beer was extremely disappointing. By far the worst mouthfeel of any Imperial Stout that I have tried. I am not terribly familiar with Pike Pub & Brewery and I will certainly give this beer a try in the future to confirm whether or not I just received a pour from a bad bottle or not.

Lunch, Feb 23, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -25.5%

First things first, this was one of the bottles that had a brettanomyces infection. That being said, I love sour beers so I decided to give it a try.

Pours black with a huge (sign of infection) light brown head. The aroma was a mix of roasted malt and brett funk. The flavor was more of the same with some roasted malt and a lot of sour funk. You get some sour cherry character as well. Medium mouthfeel. Even though the head was huge, the carbonation in the beer was still low-medium.

Not what the brewer intended but I actually didn't dislike the beer. I wish I could try this beer in non-infected form because from what I could taste, I think the base beer is probably a good one.

Mora2000, Jan 07, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -24.1%

Appearance: Pours a pitch black color with a blanket of tan foam - a decent patchwork of lace, too

Smell: Sour aromatics compete with the oaky barrel

Taste: Very woody and dry, with a developing sour character; underneath, the chocolate, coffee and dark fruit flavors can be discerned, but the sourness and the oak battle for prominence both before and after the swallow

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: I didn't get the gusher reported by others but this bottle (bought in Seattle in the spring of 2009) clearly has some off flavors; some have suggested that the sourness was the brewers intent - possibly so, but it sure isn't marketed that way so I am not sure I believe that

brentk56, Jun 03, 2010
2.85/5  rDev -23.6%

and this is why Bourbon county rates so high...
not sure what funky odor i'm getting off this one but it isn't great. getting a twangy coffee, chocolate-y aroma that just isn't right.
definitely has some "wood aged" flavor to it, albeit a bit earthy, but it pales in comparison to the recent Bourbon County. as I hold the glass to my mouth for a second drink, I get that nasty, funky smell again,,,, 9.5% it's either dump or chug, I think, at this point.
nice chocolate milk head on 2nd pour, but it cant save it. this is not a great brew. nothing I have had from this brewer is really any good, that I can remember.
the nasty little smell kills this one, as far as i'm concerned. maybe I have a bad one, but the smell is terrible. the taste is general and typical as stouts go, and still very unremarkable.

pkalix, Dec 01, 2013

CEDAMA, Dec 01, 2013

Exiled, Nov 15, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -18.2%

22 oz bomber that is 2009 vintage. Whoa, easy there fella...pours a reckless, foamy mess! Not quite a gusher, but definitely a glass foam-over. What little beer is in my glass is nearly black with a massive cap of large-bubbled dark brown foam.

Nose is slightly sour with some chocolate and mild roast. Smells a little like an infected beer, or at least one that is heading down that road. Would swear there is brett in here. That would explain the massive foam-over on the pour.

Taste does not seem as infected, although there is still a slightly sour twang to it. Still drinkable, and at $15 bucks you damn right I will. Cocoa nibs, chocolate and mild hop flavors are all detectable here. There is some sweetness in here, but it is balanced nicely by some roasty malts. The wood is definitely noticeable as well. Has more flavor and character than all of the other Pike offerings I have had, but still falls short compared to many others of the same style. It was quite expensive too, not worth the price IMO.

twiggamortis420, Mar 17, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -15.5%

Reviewed 1/13/2010 (Bottle, waxed):

Pours a dark, dark black colored body, can't see any light through it. Humongous foamy tiny bubble head, extremely lasting, tan brown in color. Roasted aroma, some woodiness. A bit of funkiness too. Not strong an aroma overall. Creamy mouthfeel, chocolate. Roasted coffee, a tiny bit of ash. Tasty not a ton of flavor, lightish. More alcohol as it warms, burning, strong coffee. not too shabby.

jujubeast6000, Feb 26, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

harrymel, Oct 17, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

justwork, Sep 19, 2013
3.29/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottle I brought to share at Skuter's tasting.

2013 vintage.

Pours an opaque black with a foamy dark khaki head that settles to an oily film on top of the beer. Tiny dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is slightly sour with dark roasted malt, cocoa, cookie dough, and wood aromas. Taste is much the same with slightly sour cocoa and coffee flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of roasty and wood bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is an above average beer that is definitely suffering from a mild infection issue but is still fairly drinkable.

UCLABrewN84, Dec 02, 2013
3.33/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Not my best review. Not rated to stated style as the rating would be very low.

So I can't tell if this is supposed to be a sour stout, but it is.

Appearance:
The huge, continuous head seems to me to be the first sign that this is either intentionally or accidentally sour. Other than the fact that I can't seem to pour more than two ounces at a time, the beer has a nice dark color with lots of tan head.

Smell:
The cherry scent again tells me I'm dealing with something going sour. I smell cherry/sour more than anything.

Taste:
Like Avery's Depuceleuce or something. Not getting stout and not getting 60 IBUs.

Mouthfeel:
Nice and medium in the mouth. Light for a stout, but not like drinking water or anything.

Drinkability:
If you like sours, this is on the lighter side. For me, I've been working on this bomber for over an hour, hoping I don't have a headache in the morning.

TeeCee, Oct 23, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -9.4%

A: Pours a dark brown, almost black color. A very small bubbly beige head forms, but recedes in an instant. Light lace is left behind.
S: A bit reserved. Some dry wood and roasted malt. Light chocolate aromas with some coffee. Plenty of alcohol. Not a lot here.
T: A bit more roasted flavor than in the nose. Some chocolate and coffee. Pretty standard for the style. Though a little to much alcohol.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. Kind of thin and watery. The alcohol shows itself everywhere. Though a good beer to sip on for an after dinner drink.

Not one of my favorite Impy Stouts. Not bad at all, just a little bland and watery. It is worth a try, but there are other stouts I will choose over this.

champ103, Oct 30, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -9.4%

22oz capped and waxed bottle served in my Old Stock snifter. Poured with a dense, khaki-colored, root beer float-like head that consumed two-thirds of the glass. Body was fairly opaque and two shades shy of black. Delicate strands of lacing were formed as the head gradually receded. Nose reveals a touch of bourbon, with wood and a sour quality filling out the rest. Mouth reveals more wood, malt, a little brown sugar and some acidity. Mouthfeel was a little on the thin side, just shy of medium, but a bit light for the style; also a little on the gassy side. Not really much of a BA Stout. Missing some of the qualities of the style, and also a bit of sourness suggestive of an infection.

Jwale73, Dec 06, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -8%

Middle stout rather than an imperial In a word, dry. The pour was a gusher, although not handled much in several months. Most was fortunately saved, and it poured mollasses substantially in foam form. Much roastiness. Initially a bit of sweet, brown sugar, anise, though bone dryness took over and dominated. Drinkable but a pint is much.Thanks Presario.

Sammy, Jul 25, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A - Almost black, tan head, leaves slowly to ring. Lots of cling lace.

S - Chocolate chip cookies and citrus juice.

T - Sour and Stout meet. I don't know...

M - Medium body, good carb, balance is iffy.

D - Guess I am just not ready for a sour stout.

srandycarter, Jul 24, 2010