Pike Entire - Wood Aged Stout - The Pike Brewing Company

The Pike Brewing Company visit their website
Washington, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: barleywinefiend on 12-06-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pike Entire - Wood Aged Stout Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
3.14/5  rDev -14.7%

Reviewed 1/13/2010 (Bottle, waxed):

Pours a dark, dark black colored body, can't see any light through it. Humongous foamy tiny bubble head, extremely lasting, tan brown in color. Roasted aroma, some woodiness. A bit of funkiness too. Not strong an aroma overall. Creamy mouthfeel, chocolate. Roasted coffee, a tiny bit of ash. Tasty not a ton of flavor, lightish. More alcohol as it warms, burning, strong coffee. not too shabby.

2.76/5  rDev -25%

Served from a 22oz. bottle at EBF 2010 in Boston, MA into a tasting glass at the appropriate temperature (02/20/10).

A: It had to be poured out extremely slowly so I was already anticipating some over the top carbonation. Once it was finally in the glass, it was quite dark with a one finger light tan head.

S: Aroma is of wood, roasted malt, chocolate and perhaps some bitter coffee or chocolate.

T: The taste is truly hard to decipher from the extreme carbonation. From what i can detect this is certainly a wood aged stout with layers of chocolate, and bitter chocolate.

M: Oh dear! The carbonation is so high that the flavor is almost completely masked. I feel bad giving any beer such a low score, but the mouthfeel here is truly awful. This is perhaps the most carbonated beer or perhaps beverage I have ever had.

D: The extreme carbonation really limits this one.

Overall this beer was extremely disappointing. By far the worst mouthfeel of any Imperial Stout that I have tried. I am not terribly familiar with Pike Pub & Brewery and I will certainly give this beer a try in the future to confirm whether or not I just received a pour from a bad bottle or not.

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

A: Pours dark black with a mocha colored head. Good retention and some chunky lace.

S: Roasty malt, caramel, and dark chocolate.

T: Wow sour... this one is infected. Beneath the infection you can still pick up dark malt, chocolate, and tart dark fruit.

M: Medium in body, the tartness from the infection is overthetop and as you can expect ruins the beer.

D: Nah, would love to rerate with a good bottle.

2.66/5  rDev -27.7%

I've had 2 bottles of this beer from 2 different sources and both have been infected. Emails from the brewery state that this beer is the way it supposed to be albeit a little over carbonated so I will review it as is.
Pours a solid black with about 3/4 of a glass of tightly bubbled tan foam. I pour four ounces or so then I wait 10 minutes and pour some more.
Nose definitely has a Belgianesque character to it. Smells a bit tart but hidden deep underneath I get some roasty and chocolatey stout like aromas. There's some vanilla and bourbon in there as well.
Taste is less tart than the aroma. Up front I get a blast of dark fruits and a slight spicy Belgian yeast twang. Fruits continue midway then slowly fade to reveal some oakey vanilla and bourbon, chocolate and roast. Finishes with a long lingering roast and hop bitterness. It actually doesn't taste half bad, but it is turning sour.
Carbonation is off the charts, body is medium to thick, mouthfeel is bubbly like seltzer water.
I have to ding this one pretty good because it is infected despite what the brewery wants me to believe. It didn't taste half bad, but it also didn't taste the way an American double stout should taste. The mouthfeel was totally ruined by the insane level of carbonation.
At $15.00 a bottle, never again.

2.58/5  rDev -29.9%

A- This one pours a....er....ah... an entire pint glass full of tan colored foam. This is gonna take awhile. Ridiculous, 25 mins later I finally got a beer that's drinkable, well maybe I do, this has obviously been infected like many others.

S- Smells of funk and oak mainly. Faint traces of chocolate, roasted malts and vanilla. I'm considering a drain pour, I'm not sure I want to try this.

T- Okay the funk is here, but not as bad as I thought it would be. A strong roasted malt and coffee flavor upfront. Bittersweet chocolate & woodiness in the middle. Finishes dry and bitter.

M- Carbonation is way over the top, body is to thin for an Imperial Stout.

D- No idea why they even released this if they knew there was a problem, I think this cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $15. This might turn me off of Pike for good.

2.31/5  rDev -37.2%

Pours a ...Whoa, we got a gusher, tons of foam. Dark black body with an enourmous tan head, great retention. Smells of oak, earthiness, Brett like funk, some chocolate and coffee, soft citrus fruits. Tastes of semi-sweet coffee and chocolate like malt with a fairly strong undertone of oak. Touch of citrus fruit and sourness. Bitterness is fairly moderate leading to a chocolate like dryness. Carbonation way too high for this style.

Overall, pretty disappointed, definitely infected. It almost smelled like a lambic for gods sake. Too bad, this could have been a very promising beer, but the excess carbonation really messes with all the flavors in this beer. I hope Pike is more careful in the future, i definitely won't be buying from them for a while.

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

First things first, this was one of the bottles that had a brettanomyces infection. That being said, I love sour beers so I decided to give it a try.

Pours black with a huge (sign of infection) light brown head. The aroma was a mix of roasted malt and brett funk. The flavor was more of the same with some roasted malt and a lot of sour funk. You get some sour cherry character as well. Medium mouthfeel. Even though the head was huge, the carbonation in the beer was still low-medium.

Not what the brewer intended but I actually didn't dislike the beer. I wish I could try this beer in non-infected form because from what I could taste, I think the base beer is probably a good one.

3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

22oz bomber courtesy of WriterLJBerg poured into a tulip.

Glad I perused the reviews on this one before opening as this one was a massive gusher, with a pour that produced a head bigger than the body of the beer. And it didn't go anywhere for a while.

The aroma is heavy with dark roasted malts and bakers chocolate. There are additional sweet smells, like licorice and dark fruits, and a surprisingly big wood character with hints of bourbon.

The taste is dark roasted malts with hints of coffee and bakers chocolate. The finish is surprisingly dry and roasted with a heavy oak character that I wasn't expecting. It leaves a lingering, almost metallic, bitterness that's a little off-putting, but not a complete deal-breaker.

The mouthfeel seems too light for an impy stout with the overdone carbonation probably contributing to that.

I was worried this one might be infected when the carbonation blew up on me, but it seems to be a case of over-carbonation more than anything. It's got decent flavor but the mouthfeel holds this one back from being a top stout. Good but not great.

3.71/5  rDev +0.8%

From a 650 ml brown bottle, black wax over the cap and neck.

Massive pillar of tight spongy tan head upon initial pour. Settles to a loose sticky cap with swathes of sticky lacing.

Molasses, licorice predominant on the nose, some sour acidic char, smoky, woody notes, dark dried fruit, some rummy boozy alcohol.

Big flavour, but the intensity can't make up for a lack of depth. Light sweetness up front, roasted and burnt malt in the middle intermingling with a sweet boozy warmth, finishing with a smoky char, woody and alcohol warmth in the aftertaste. It all just becomes that alcohol warmth in the aftertaste after a while, overshadowing everything else. Long, long into the aftertaste, well after the glass is empty it's all wood lingering , slightly astringent.

Full, slick, low carbonation, a bit grainy towards the end of the glass. Carbonation pricks up a bit on the finish.

Bold, yet lacking in depth and personality. Enjoyable, yet nothing new after a few sips. Perhaps it'll refine a bit after a year or so of aging.

3.38/5  rDev -8.2%

22oz capped and waxed bottle served in my Old Stock snifter. Poured with a dense, khaki-colored, root beer float-like head that consumed two-thirds of the glass. Body was fairly opaque and two shades shy of black. Delicate strands of lacing were formed as the head gradually receded. Nose reveals a touch of bourbon, with wood and a sour quality filling out the rest. Mouth reveals more wood, malt, a little brown sugar and some acidity. Mouthfeel was a little on the thin side, just shy of medium, but a bit light for the style; also a little on the gassy side. Not really much of a BA Stout. Missing some of the qualities of the style, and also a bit of sourness suggestive of an infection.

1.9/5  rDev -48.4%

I'm so bummed to write this review.

In May, I visited Pike Brewery several times over the course of my trip to Seattle. I had a blast at night for a party, then had an even better time hanging out and meeting nice beer folks the next day. I even bought a bunch of shirts and glasses. The 5X was the beer that will always remind me of my trip, great times exploring a wonderful city.

Since then, I've ordered the 5X through mail order places several times, promoted Pike's product to my friends, and worn my T-Shirt so much it's starting to fade.

I was giddy the morning I saw Liquid Solutions had this up. I bought 6 bottles on the spot. Well, I'm no longer a devout Pike fan after this disgrace of a beer. Have the decency to not release a product that you know is infected, it costs a lot less than loosing your reputation!

Poured from a waxed bottle into my tulip.

Oh shit - it's foaming up. The air smells like bourbon and sour funk - it smells like I just mixed an Ommegang Rouge and a shot of Makers. Not good, this is going to be a heartbreaker. My glass is 1/4 black liquid and 3/4 mocah head that is overflowing. G-R-E-A-T.

Tastes like I feared. There is a decent enough beer buried somewhere in here, but a sour taste just makes it completely lost. On top of the absurdly thin mouth on this, it also is so damn carbonated I can't even taste all the details. Mouthfeel is the worst I've ever had for a Stout. Sharp and really feels like pop rocks on my lips.

Pike, I love your amazing space in perhaps the greatest city in this country. I really enjoy your 5X stout. But a passionate promoter of your brewery just became a disenchanted customer - all because a special premium version of your premier product was unfit to be released but you released it anyway. I'll still happily quaff your releases when I find them on tap, but I won't be paying a premium to get your products shipped to me in Cleveland, OH any more. Please do the right thing and don't release an infected beer like this again. You're doing a disservice to both your fans and those who don't know any better. We've grown to expect much, much more from you.

3.58/5  rDev -2.7%

Let me get two annoyances out of the way: First, the wax coating over the bottle cap was very difficult to remove. Second, I've never seen a more explosive head--it overflowed my 24 oz glass and the bottle at the same time.

Needless to say, there was a huge, beige head that settled slowly. Some chunky lace.

Smells of dark chocolate and brandy.

The taste is rich, but the body is not. Strong alcohol warmth to the swallow. Again, dark chocolate with a cognac-like touch of raspberries and strawberries. The aftertaste is like unsweetened cocoa. There's also a bit hop spiciness in the background.

I like the complexity but it good use a fuller body to get to great status.

Ok, first off, it's not exactly a breeze to open this bomber - some very solid wax encloses the cap - a good knife is required to get enough of it off to have a go at the cap. By that time, the bottle was obviously agitated, and poured very messily, foam up the wazoo...

Anyways, inconvenient packaging choices aside, this beer appears in the glass as a black hole, no light escaping, save the tiniest of red tinges at the base when held to the overhead halogen lights. As previously noted, it gives off tons of foamy, foamy, foamy (did I say foamy?) brown head, which takes its sweet time to melt away. It smells very distinctly of bourbon - caramel, vanilla, alcohol, and spicy American oak wood notes, with a slight whiff of chocolate and coffee in there as well. The taste is astringent woodiness at first, then some caramel malt, dry cocoa, coffee, some booze, and increasingly intense citrus hops. The carbonation is on the mild side, the body decently weighted, and quite smooth, and it finishes with a sweet chocolate, hop, and whisky (no 'e') flourish.

A splendid barrel-infused big-ass stout, the bourbon influence well integrated. The alcohol is noticeable, but not in any significant way. My only set-to with this particular beer is a local concern - it goes for 16 Canuck-bucks a bottle - not the beer's problem, I know, but certainly a limiting factor in any future enjoyment of this stout for me.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

A bomber that I picked up in Seattle in January of 2009. The colour was a very dark brown. Not quite black given the garnet hue around the edges. The head was thick and tan. The aroma was teeming with oak, cola bean, alcohol and a slight mustiness (but in a good way). On the palate, there was oak, oak and more oak! But, it was quite frothy and creamy with lots of coffee and dark, high cocoa mass chocolate. Nice stuff!

4.03/5  rDev +9.5%

A: murky brown and black body with deep burnt orange borders. Pretty close to ink black. The follow up and formation of a massive buff brown head erupted with my rather weak pour. This thing was incredibly active as chunky boulders of soft chocolate rocks sat atop, with staying power. Lacing had a few honorable mentions, with one large smear of particular interest hugging my glass. Looks like a "Pike Stout"

S: heavy hitting dark malts with faint chocolate, coffee, and bourbon types whiffs. Nothing stands in as being very woody, but you could stretch the senses after a heavy huff to include oak and vanilla within the bourbon/alcohol notes. If I remember right, this does a pretty good job of replicating the original Pike Stout with a few new smells

T: upfront are the dark malty notes, this is followed by crushed dutch coffee beans with a sturdy helping of bitter chocolates. A few sips in, when you let things gather, the predominant flavor revolves around the bitterness. The cocoa and coffee notes are free to roam and pick up lightly spiced vanilla with, you guessed it, wood-barrel (almost winey) flavors. The bitterness is claiming more coffee character as the sips continue and things are even darker with the malts taking form as blackened and smoldering. Warming augments a few dimensions. Otherwise the pungent flavors coat most everything on the tongue shortly after the sip

M: pretty heavy brew with some good girth points. The carbonation is in good order and right for the style. Another thing, the ABV just lurks around and never gets in the way, as it's always under control. The finish nips the palate with a baked dryness

D: the original Pike is banging, and the Pike Entire is banging. The original has been a go to brew for me and the same follows suit for the wood aged. If any discrepancies exist, which they really don't, it might need to mellow out just a bit with the bitter features it carries.
Well, in any event, is it tasty! Get a hold of it

3.35/5  rDev -9%

A: Pours a dark brown, almost black color. A very small bubbly beige head forms, but recedes in an instant. Light lace is left behind.
S: A bit reserved. Some dry wood and roasted malt. Light chocolate aromas with some coffee. Plenty of alcohol. Not a lot here.
T: A bit more roasted flavor than in the nose. Some chocolate and coffee. Pretty standard for the style. Though a little to much alcohol.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. Kind of thin and watery. The alcohol shows itself everywhere. Though a good beer to sip on for an after dinner drink.

Not one of my favorite Impy Stouts. Not bad at all, just a little bland and watery. It is worth a try, but there are other stouts I will choose over this.

4.4/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a pitch black color that's completely opaque without even the slightest of lighter colored edges and a two finger frothy dark tan head. Excellent retention, only slowly receeding into a lasting cap that coats the glass with soapy lacing.

Bourbon oaky aroma with lots of dark roasted malt, vanilla, dark chocolate, toast, vanilla, bourbon, caramel, toffee, oatmeal, lactic creaminess and more bourbon. There is such a nice blend of oaky bourbon, chocolate and vanilla probably due to only 50% of it being bourbon barrel aged.

Very roasted silky chocolate maltiness with hints of bitter dark chocolate, toffee, roasted coffee bean, toast, oatmeal, dark fruits and subtle hops. There is a nice bourbon characteristic that is not too overpowering. Again, this is probably due to the fact that it is a blend of 50% regular version and 50% aged in bourbon barrels. It's a nice change of pace to sip on a bourbon barrel aged beer that is complex and has other flavors shining through instead of being a hot bourbon dominated beer.

The roastiness is very prominent up front but is quickly balanced by the smooth silky lactic maltiness. There are a lot of sweet complex flavors going on here and the high ABV is very well masked. Only slight alcohol warmth in the finish making it very drinkable. There are some earthy bitter citrus hops toward the end which provide a nice dry finish. Very complex and dangerously drinkable. Recommended.

3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

The premise: Pike blends their XXX Extra Stout with an imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels for seven months. First released in '08, Entire is promoted as an annual high-profile specialty beer à la Abyss.

Entire is impenetrably black with a smooth body and peripheral suds. The aroma boasts bitter chocolate and oaked sherry but with a noticeable measure of alcohol and some wayward medicinals. Bourbon elements are contributory but not decisive. They lend a hint of oak character to an otherwise fine standalone stout flush with roast barley and ample hop spice.

An easy sipper, aged to a regal informality, though a tad less than spectacular.

Note: I keep listing Pike's Extra Stout with 5 "X"s and the database keeps posting it with just 3. Weird.

4.08/5  rDev +10.9%

Lucky to try this on tap at the pike brewery. Heard this was something that was worth trying so here goes. Review from my phone, live at the brewery.

A- As you would expect, it pours dark dark dark. Black liquid with a thin tan head that looks dense. Head dissipates fast.

S- My smell is shot from having a cold, but i can still get some coffee and sweet smokey notes from it.

T- Most definitely coffee. Chocolate comes in on the sweet side and balances with the coffee nicely. Still has the smokey taste which seems to keep the alcohol mellow. Very good taste overall.

M- Very thick going in and down and boy is it awesome. I can almost chew it. The flavor lingers forever on the tongue. Even being nearly 10% ABV, it is well hidden.

D- Man if you could handle more then a few bottles or even glasses for that matter, then a pat on the back for you. I would either get too full or plastered, which ever comes first. Overall a very tasty beer. I am going to be picking up a couple bottles on my way out, one for now, and one to age till their 2010 comes out.

4.46/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I pulled this out of my cellar last night, I'm glad I did and wish I had more. This thing aged beautifully.

Blanced coffe notes, cocoa nibs, bittersweet choc, faint oak, and just enough malt.

Pitch black, with a tight, long lasting coffee colored head. Smooth and lovely, certainly couldn't tell it was around 9.5% alc.

Slow sip by the fire, eating s'mores. Good times, great beer.

4.37/5  rDev +18.8%

A murky brownish-black stout with a sticky chocolate milk colored head.

Malt forward stout aroma, with delicious virgin wood. Hints of beef stew and mild leather.

Very balanced and delicate. Sure its a big stout and there are some rough flavors, but they are all tamed and work well together. I love the wood, very fresh like a lumber yard. I wouldn't mind if there was much more of it. Mild sourness attributed to the roasted barley gives it an old-school appeal. Lots of dark chocolate and burnt raisins. Licorice too. Firm yet delicate bitterness along with a mild noble hop flavor, really great choice of hops. Finishes like coffee, bitter, roasted, and mildly sour.

Good mouthfeel, velvety like Abyss. Carries the viscosity and aroma quite well. The viscosity isn't as heavy as expected, adding to the coffee parallel.

Great beer, easy to drink but good to ponder. Cheers!

3.65/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours very dark brown in color with some lightedness around the edges. Nice mocha colored head. Smell is some cocoa and some very strong oak flavor from the barrel. From what I understand this beer is comprised of two separate beers. One that was fermented normally and the other half was aged in oak bourbon barrels. They were then mixed together and bottled. There are some very strong notes from the barrel coming through in the flavor, almost too strong. Almost gives it a bit of a woodsy funk flavoring. Still very enjoyable and well done. Don't know what's giving me that funky flavor, but it's definitely there for me. Good beer.

4.32/5  rDev +17.4%

Pours black completely opaque with a quickly receding tan head. Smells of burnt malts, bourbon, and oak. First sip is well balanced between the malts and the wood. Notes of vanilla and caramel lovingly contribute. Perfectly carbonated with an amazing mouthfeel. Sweet with just the right amount of bitterness. Wow!

4.24/5  rDev +15.2%

Thanks to Shane(beachbum1975) for sharing this.

A: Pours pitch black, no light. Nice sized head with some retention and decent lacing.

S: Very nice stout aromas mixed with a very appealling wood character. Really digging some of these new barrel beers that aren't in bourbon. Great wood.

T/M: Mellow stout. Light roast and char, some old coffee. The wood is definitely the best part but it doesn't come out enough. Nice bitterness on the back end. Body is medium full is nice creamy carbonation.

D: Drinks easy enough and is tasty. Not bad.

3.76/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks go out to Dajtai007 for this recently traded beer.

Pours a gorgeous, black, viscous mass with only the slightest hints or dark root beer brown when it was being poured. Nice dark tan head with great lacing.

Smells of hops, heavily roasted malts and coffee.

Taste is much like the nose with high alpha hops, oak woodiness, light lactose, heavily roasted, almost dry malts and a light coffee presence.

Medium bodied with medium to high carbonation and mouthfeel.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast