Pike Tandem - Pike Pub & Brewery

Pike Pub & Brewery visit their website
Washington, United States

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: RedDiamond on 10-19-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pike Tandem Alström Bros
Ratings: 100 | Reviews: 57
3.06/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle

A- Poured into a chalice. Pours a murky dark brown color with a light tan head with decent retention and lacing.

S- The aroma is dark fruits, coriander, dark candied sugar and yeast. The aroma is a little disappointing, pretty faint for the style.

T- The taste like the aroma is pretty average. Dark fruits up front, a hint of peppery spiciness and a touch of hops with a yeasty finish. A little bland for the style.

M- The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with a lot of carbonation.

D- Belgian-style Dubbels are one of my favorite beer styles so I always get excited to try one I haven't before. This one was a letdown. Not horrible, but it does not hold a candle to some of the top beers within the style.

2.98/5  rDev -14.6%

I managed to find multiple types of Pike at a local liquor store. How or why they got this label so far into the east coast is a surprise to me.

I poured this into a nice, Brasserie D'Achouffe tulip glass. It left a few fingers of foam and the coloring is a deep brown.

I smell a ton of caramel off the top. It is pretty sweet.

The flavor is not very good. I get some of the caramel, but the roast doesn't pair well with this. The lingering funk of this beer isn't very good.

I really like the brewery, but this bottle really didn't hit the spot.

2.96/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A dark brownish orange. Aroma is biscuity-malt, a little must. Flavor is more rich malt, but not much of that Belgian funk or spice you expect from a Double. There are hints of bakers chocolate and maybe some died fruits, but its more malt and biscuit. Its not a bad beer, it drinks well and can be sessioned. Just not a great example of the style.

2.95/5  rDev -15.5%

22oz bottle into a large goblet

Pours a dark mahogany brown, very slightly translucent, doesn't appear to be cloudy. White head and very little of it. Slight, fine continuing carbonation. Smell is raisin-y and date-y primarily, sweet and dark fruity, a little wet forest smell.

Taste is very mild, a little watery. Dominated by date sweetness which is not entirely pleasant. A little bit of holiday spice flavor in the background.

Mouthfeel is thin and relatively light. Drinkable, but not impressive.

2.87/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Now this is depressing me already, but I will try not to continue with any preconceived notions. The beer pours a somewhat cloudy brown color that was practically lifeless. There were a few islands of tannish foam when I was pouring the daylights out of it...at least for a Dubbel. I poured the whole bomber in about 15-20 seconds. I can't really see any bubbles rising, and when held to the light. There isn't any more lace than you get from a Coke.

Aroma: Some dark fruit notes in the aroma, along with some sweet "burnt candy" notes. There is already a decent amount of floral hops coming out. The malts are a big player in the aroma, giving some caramel and a few toasty notes to round out the ensemble. This is really weird for a Dubbel.

Taste: The flavor is much more Belgian than anything the aroma had to offer. There is still a huge dark malt presence with sweet caramel, toffee, and toasty burnt bread crusts, but there are a WHOLE LOT more fruity esters in the flavor than I ever would have dreamed from the aroma. The beer is medium bodied with very low carbonation, so it is coming across the palate really lame and uneventful for this style.

Opinion: Overall, this is unusual for a Dubbel, that's for sure. It isn't a disgusting beer or anything, and may pass for some version of an American Brown Ale in the aroma, while really just ending up as an estery unbalanced mess in the flavor. I haven't cared for this beer to say the least. I really think that it is just an American Brown Recipe stepped up with some two-row and fermented with Belgian yeast. I have been pretty disappointed with this beer. You would think that if they were going to go through the trouble of putting out a Belgian style beer like this, that they would want to come remotely close to the style. I guess this is a beer brewed for some off-the-wall category in the GABF with no intention of ever holding water to any of the real classic examples of this style. Stay away from this beer if you like Dubbels. If you like hotly/estery fermented American Brown Ales...give this a shot.

2.7/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours deep opaque brown with a dense off white head. The aroma is malty and the flavor is more porterlike than anything. Roasted, chicory, unsubtle. There is a flatness on the finish. The label promises coriander, but I don't see it. The mouthfeel is prickly.

1.44/5  rDev -58.7%

I don't know, but this bottle was just plain terrible. I poured a bottle into couple of snifters for myself and a friend. He warned me that Pike is known for being unreliable in their quality control, and that people are saying that bottles seem to be infected too often.

We both think the bottle I got may have been infected, or it's simply a real bad beer. It's my first time drinking something from this brewery, so that's a disclaimer I'll have to make.

There was a strong and unpleasant funky aroma that's unlike anything I have smelled ever. The taste was terrible. I couldn't even comfortably drink a sip without grimacing. It was so bad that the rest of the beer was poured down the drain.

Pike Tandem from Pike Pub & Brewery