Pike Pale Ale - Pike Pub & Brewery

good

Pike Pub & Brewery visit their website
Washington, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pike Pale Ale Alström Bros
Hopheadjeffery

12-22-2012 17:32:35 | More by Hopheadjeffery
harrymel

2.33/5  rDev -34.6%

Uncertain if this is an amber, or pale based on label, WTF?

Review date: 10OCT11
Bottle date: unk says 210B on the label, maybe (July, week 1ish?)
A: Pours a hazy dark amber ale with a finger of caramel cream which falls quickly to a broken sheet of the same. Spotty lace is weak. (2.5)
S: Smells like caramel malts, sweet. Some earthy hops, and toasted sugar (3.5)
T: Oxidized malts, water, an alkaline tone, and some bitterness. Unimpressive. (2)
M: Thin (for either style) with moderate carb. Dry finish. (2)
O: I am not impressed and not surprised I've never seen this on tap anywhere (2)

10-10-2011 11:20:22 | More by harrymel
atomicbwax

2.33/5  rDev -34.6%

Let me prefice this by saying I live in Seattle and am not the biggest fan of this places beers.

Appearance – Orangy brown. It kind of glows when held up in the light. It's really sad when the appearance is your favorite part of a beer.

Smell – This does not smell like most IPAs. Kind of spicy. A hint of cinnamon and cloves. Quite frankly, I'm not getting anything special here.

Taste – This does not taste like most IPS I've had either. Kind of spicy but I'm not a fan of this.

Mouthfeel – Nothing too great. Very thin. I'm not a fan of this.

Drinkability – I don't like this too much. I've had a number of other pale ales lately that are far superior to this. I would not order this or purchase it again in most cases.

11-13-2005 04:28:38 | More by atomicbwax
skillerified

2.42/5  rDev -32%

Nice, really dark red color for a Pale. Little to no head, some moderate off-white lacing. I don't know if it was just the bottle I happened to get, but the scent and taste of this one was really flat. I don't mean that the beer itself was flat, the carbonation and all seemed fine, but the taste was just not there that night. There were some obvious citric notes in the scent, but nothing too specific. The flavor and mouthfeel were horribly off balance, all bitterness with nothing to smooth it out. The bitterness just overwhelmed any flavor that made an attempt to get to the palate. I don't mind bitter beers, some of my favorites are IPAs and Double IPAs, but this was just way off for the style and it didn't offer much to make it a worthwile experience otherwise. I'd try it once more (at the brewpub next time) just because I think it's not impossible that there was something wrong with the bottle I had, although I have no reason other than the flavor to think so, but if it came out this way again it'd be my last Pike's Pale.

02-24-2007 01:58:28 | More by skillerified
froghop

2.7/5  rDev -24.2%

on tap at pike pub in seattle.

pours a clear amber with a small white head, some lacing.

smell of roasted hops and nuts and a little grassy near the end.

taste is a bit different than the normal pale ale, nutty in flavor, slightly creamy, some caramel, not that bitter and slightly sweet.

11-30-2008 19:28:14 | More by froghop
bef126

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

10-16-2013 03:17:51 | More by bef126
Brewsmith

2.85/5  rDev -19.9%

From a 22 oz bottle purchased locally. Poured into a 0.5 L glass. It's been a while since I've had this in Seattle, let's see how it's made the bottle trip to Los Angeles. Aroma is floral and a little spicy hop with some caramel and toasted malt in there. A clear burnt amber color with a thin, tight tan head. Nutty and toast malt flavors with a clean bready biscuit malt backbone. Balanced just slightly to the bitter with some earthy hop flavor coming through. I think it has lost some of it's freshness, there is a touch of staleness to the malt and a bit of lemony tea to the hop profile. I will have to compare this again then next time I'm up in Seattle.

04-18-2009 07:20:05 | More by Brewsmith
GRG1313

2.9/5  rDev -18.5%

Pours a nice redish copper amber with a nice off white head.

Nose of light stone fruit and perhaps a light sweet creamed coffee.

Mouthfeel is medium with some nice malt and nut flavors; some cooked fruit character with some sweet malt in the front palate.

Pleassant finish of pine resin. Pleasant drink; somewhat ordinary and pedestrian.

09-05-2009 19:57:09 | More by GRG1313

New Hampshire

11-22-2011 18:10:25 | More by Rochefort10nh
SkeeterHawk

3.13/5  rDev -12.1%

This is one of the few from this brewery that I haven't tried, so I picked one up. Let's see what their more sessionable beers are like:

Appearance: Pours a rather murky looking burnt orange color with a small head of active tan bubbles that were disappearing as fast as I poured the beer with nothing to remain, really. There is a very small ring where the beer meets the glass. There is no lacing left on the glass after drinking.

Aroma: I initially got a decent amount of American hops along with some earthy hops and some mild toasty malts. There seems to be a bit of oxidation to this beer. There is some sweetness coming out with the aroma of the hops as the beer warms up some, and the toasty notes are getting more pronounced.

Taste: The flavor is more malty than the aroma suggested. There are some sweet caramel notes mixing with the hops that is pretty decent, and the overall balance of the finish is balanced, but the malt may edge out the hops a bit. Though the carbonation is low, there seems to be some carbonic acidity left on the back of the throat that I am guessing I am just misinterpreting the hops or something, but it is definitely sitting acidic back there for a while. The alcohol is not noticeable really anytime, but after I have finished about half the bomber, I am feeling a little warmer...so it is definitely in there.

Opinion: Overall this is a decent beer, but I am a little surprised that they are putting a commercial beer out like this. It is comparable to some of the better extract homebrews that I have tried, but far from what you would expect to find on the shelf at the liquor store. Since they make some other pretty decent beers, I would think that they may think to fall back and re-group on this one and try to put out something a little more remarkable.

05-27-2011 01:38:29 | More by SkeeterHawk
lacqueredmouse

Australia

3.15/5  rDev -11.5%

On-tap at the brewery (or the brewery's outlet?) at Pike Place Market in Seattle.

Pours a hazed slightly amber golden hue. Head is a fine ring of white with solid persistence. Lots of carbonation, very light body. Looks okay, overall.

Nose is very empty, however: there's a light caramel to it, and just a dusting of hops that feel like they're old or oxidised. Not much else, I'm afraid.

Taste is a bit better, as the caramel comes through with more robustness, and the hop characters do hint a little at citrus peel, although the bitterness they generate leaves a husky, earthy character on the back palate. Feel is light, but it's enough to support the hops at least.

Overall, it's OK, but somewhat depressingly OK. It's not bad, just pedestrian and extremely dull and boring. This pretty much pushes it to "sub par" for me.

07-17-2012 04:46:54 | More by lacqueredmouse
BeerAngel

3.15/5  rDev -11.5%

This beer pours a hazed burnt orange with a nice cream colored dense head. The aroma is a fresh baked bread and light malt with a tad of fruitiness and a hint of alcohol. The taste is an acidic hop bitter with a sweet bread background. I can detect a very faint mint(?) in the background along with alcohol on the tail. This is a light bodied beer that finishes slightly sweet.

Notes: A very different pale IMHO. It's unique in flavor but not necessarily bad, just unfamiliar. Not sure where some of these flavors come from, maybe cinamon or clove. Cheers!

04-08-2004 22:55:44 | More by BeerAngel
Hollenbeck2

Oregon

3.15/5  rDev -11.5%

bought this selection at John's Marketplace in portland oregon, loved the label design, very cool, and the fact that it is from the extreme northwest. Very dark pale ale to me, poored in a frozen pint glass and enjoyed with company, they liked it as well.

I would recommend although I have a feeling this is one of those brews that tastes drastically different at the actual brewing location, I plan on visiting next week.

07-23-2007 23:12:38 | More by Hollenbeck2
Jason

3.18/5  rDev -10.7%

12 oz brown long neck bottle with a “Best if consumed before date marked” on the back label.

Appearance: Web-like lacing on the glass with a deep brassy colour that glows in the light.

Smell: Soft citrusy hop aroma, floral in a way. Hints of yeast and a caramel malt in the back.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Medium body with an ample crisp and smooth mouth feel. Laid back citrusy floral hop, bitterness is there but tame. Full mouth of malt ranging from toasted grain to hints of caramel. Clean ale-like finish with some residual sweetness.

Drinkability & Notes: A run of the mill pale ale for me, something I’d order if it was there but I would not go out of my way for it. Did well up against an American cheddar.

03-06-2003 18:18:17 | More by Jason