1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pike Pale Ale - Pike Pub & Brewery

Pike Pale AlePike Pale Ale

good

Pike Pub & Brewery visit their website
Washington, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pike Pale Ale Alström Bros

2.33/5  rDev -34.2%

Uncertain if this is an amber, or pale based on label, WTF?

Review date: 10OCT11
Bottle date: unk says 210B on the label, maybe (July, week 1ish?)
A: Pours a hazy dark amber ale with a finger of caramel cream which falls quickly to a broken sheet of the same. Spotty lace is weak. (2.5)
S: Smells like caramel malts, sweet. Some earthy hops, and toasted sugar (3.5)
T: Oxidized malts, water, an alkaline tone, and some bitterness. Unimpressive. (2)
M: Thin (for either style) with moderate carb. Dry finish. (2)
O: I am not impressed and not surprised I've never seen this on tap anywhere (2)

2.33/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Let me prefice this by saying I live in Seattle and am not the biggest fan of this places beers.

Appearance – Orangy brown. It kind of glows when held up in the light. It's really sad when the appearance is your favorite part of a beer.

Smell – This does not smell like most IPAs. Kind of spicy. A hint of cinnamon and cloves. Quite frankly, I'm not getting anything special here.

Taste – This does not taste like most IPS I've had either. Kind of spicy but I'm not a fan of this.

Mouthfeel – Nothing too great. Very thin. I'm not a fan of this.

Drinkability – I don't like this too much. I've had a number of other pale ales lately that are far superior to this. I would not order this or purchase it again in most cases.

2.42/5  rDev -31.6%

Nice, really dark red color for a Pale. Little to no head, some moderate off-white lacing. I don't know if it was just the bottle I happened to get, but the scent and taste of this one was really flat. I don't mean that the beer itself was flat, the carbonation and all seemed fine, but the taste was just not there that night. There were some obvious citric notes in the scent, but nothing too specific. The flavor and mouthfeel were horribly off balance, all bitterness with nothing to smooth it out. The bitterness just overwhelmed any flavor that made an attempt to get to the palate. I don't mind bitter beers, some of my favorites are IPAs and Double IPAs, but this was just way off for the style and it didn't offer much to make it a worthwile experience otherwise. I'd try it once more (at the brewpub next time) just because I think it's not impossible that there was something wrong with the bottle I had, although I have no reason other than the flavor to think so, but if it came out this way again it'd be my last Pike's Pale.

2.7/5  rDev -23.7%

on tap at pike pub in seattle.

pours a clear amber with a small white head, some lacing.

smell of roasted hops and nuts and a little grassy near the end.

taste is a bit different than the normal pale ale, nutty in flavor, slightly creamy, some caramel, not that bitter and slightly sweet.

2.75/5  rDev -22.3%

2.75/5  rDev -22.3%

2.85/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

From a 22 oz bottle purchased locally. Poured into a 0.5 L glass. It's been a while since I've had this in Seattle, let's see how it's made the bottle trip to Los Angeles. Aroma is floral and a little spicy hop with some caramel and toasted malt in there. A clear burnt amber color with a thin, tight tan head. Nutty and toast malt flavors with a clean bready biscuit malt backbone. Balanced just slightly to the bitter with some earthy hop flavor coming through. I think it has lost some of it's freshness, there is a touch of staleness to the malt and a bit of lemony tea to the hop profile. I will have to compare this again then next time I'm up in Seattle.

2.9/5  rDev -18.1%

Pours a nice redish copper amber with a nice off white head.

Nose of light stone fruit and perhaps a light sweet creamed coffee.

Mouthfeel is medium with some nice malt and nut flavors; some cooked fruit character with some sweet malt in the front palate.

Pleassant finish of pine resin. Pleasant drink; somewhat ordinary and pedestrian.

3.13/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is one of the few from this brewery that I haven't tried, so I picked one up. Let's see what their more sessionable beers are like:

Appearance: Pours a rather murky looking burnt orange color with a small head of active tan bubbles that were disappearing as fast as I poured the beer with nothing to remain, really. There is a very small ring where the beer meets the glass. There is no lacing left on the glass after drinking.

Aroma: I initially got a decent amount of American hops along with some earthy hops and some mild toasty malts. There seems to be a bit of oxidation to this beer. There is some sweetness coming out with the aroma of the hops as the beer warms up some, and the toasty notes are getting more pronounced.

Taste: The flavor is more malty than the aroma suggested. There are some sweet caramel notes mixing with the hops that is pretty decent, and the overall balance of the finish is balanced, but the malt may edge out the hops a bit. Though the carbonation is low, there seems to be some carbonic acidity left on the back of the throat that I am guessing I am just misinterpreting the hops or something, but it is definitely sitting acidic back there for a while. The alcohol is not noticeable really anytime, but after I have finished about half the bomber, I am feeling a little warmer...so it is definitely in there.

Opinion: Overall this is a decent beer, but I am a little surprised that they are putting a commercial beer out like this. It is comparable to some of the better extract homebrews that I have tried, but far from what you would expect to find on the shelf at the liquor store. Since they make some other pretty decent beers, I would think that they may think to fall back and re-group on this one and try to put out something a little more remarkable.

Pike Pale Ale from Pike Pub & Brewery