Pike India Pale Ale - The Pike Brewing Company

Washington, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-23-2002

Reviews by rickyleepotts:
4.06/5  rDev +8.3%

I have never been to Seattle, but Sheryl went this year for a few days. She stayed in downtown Seattle and had a great time. Now that we are in Arizona, hopefully we can take a week there in the near future. While she was there she went to Pike Brewing Company. She brought back some beers including the Pike Monk’s Uncle Tripel Ale (which is on our list) and the Pike IPA, which is also on our list. Tonight we are digging into a bottle of the IPA with hope it made the trip from Indiana without harm. The last few beers we opened that traveled west with us have been spoiled. This one looks good in the bottle… let’s drink!

In the Glass: This is a good looking IPA. We have a bomber of this, so it makes nearly two pints. The beer is thick, almost orange, and has a huge rich foamy head. The head sticks around for a while, too. The lace is perfect… what a good IPA should be! This is my first beer from Pike, and while I haven’t been to Seattle, I am excited to try this beer.

Nose: Not as much nose as I had hoped. But since this beer traveled with us from Indiana, I have to count my lucky stars that we can even drink it! Cheers to that. What I am getting from the nose is subtle earthy aroma that reminds me of the Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. Granted, the Dogfish Head is nearly 20% ABV… but the balance that beer brings, even though it has such an impressive ABV, is still something to write home about.

Flavor: The flavor is nice. It isn’t as hoppy as I wanted, but even though I consider myself a “hop head”, I can still appreciate a well-balanced IPA. That is what this is. There are some earthy notes in the flavor, as well. Not like chewing on dirt or anything… but there is some substance there. From the time it hits your lips, it is just a smooth and enjoyable experience.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is nice, too. There isn’t much going on up front, but when it hits the back of your palate, the thickness kicks in and you get a feeling for the craft part of this craft beer. This isn’t your average IPA. There is a certain thickness that reminds me of some home brews I have had. Toward the end, the beer quickly turns to the best part… the aftertaste.

Aftertaste: Whoa, that’s a nice aftertaste. The beer is thick, and leaves a mighty finish on your tongue… then you swallow thinking there is still beer in your mouth. Nope. That’s just the thick and creamy aftertaste that I wish all beers had. The aftertaste lasts, too. I am talking a good three minutes or more. It’s weird, because with most hoppy beers, the aftertaste is there but quickly turns to a copper flavor. This beer just hangs on with that creaminess that you experience across the board. A very well done IPA.

This is my first experience with Pike beers… and I am impressed. I can’t wait to get out to Seattle and try these beers on at the brewery. Imagine drinking these at the brewpub. Can’t wait!!! I would say, even if you don’t like an IPA, you would enjoy this. There is enough balance and malt character to go around. It’s not malty… but it is one of the most malty IPAs I have had in a while. Bottoms up, people!

Pike IPA – The bottle says: “NA”

3.76/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

at Sea-Tac into a shaker

a: little haze, reddish amber with a one-finger off-white head
s: not a huge nose, but solid, caramalt and earthy/bready sweetness, as well as some tangerine and earthy/herbal hoppiness
t & m: this is old school west coast IPA, to me, with solid hoppy resin notes, a little bit of citrus, some slight earthy herbs, balanced by a great (almost English) malt backbone. Its substantial, pleasantly bitter, but not rough. a little on the heavy side, and maybe could use a bit more carbonation...very easy to knock back a number of these, but I've got to catch a plane.

Its great to see this old school northwertern company now here in the triad.Poured into a imperial nonic a hazed deep burnt orange with a thinner but well sustained white head.Aromas are dominated by herbal/citric hop with a caramel sweet malt base as well.Flavors of herbal tea and grapefruit upfront with a hefty caramel toffee malt base,pretty well balanced with the hops winning out slightly.A very good old school IPA with a bit of an English element in it to me,I liked it and will get more.

4.19/5  rDev +11.7%

Appearance – Orange and very cloudy in the body with a decent head.

Smell – This was has a fantastic bouquet. It’s a combination of sweet, caramel malt and complex hops. The piney tease is just right, and everything comes together nicely here at the nose.

Taste – The piney hops are nowhere to be found and are replaced with big floral and citrus. There’s also some serious peppered spicing in there. The malt is laden with sugars and caramel and is very sweet.

The spicing is good but almost too much. It’s very dark and powdery. There’s pepper in there for sure and other dark spices. These mix well with the big citrus hops.

Mouthfeel – A bit on the dry side and definitely (at least) medium-bodied.

Drinkability – I really enjoyed this ale, but it is definitely NW and may not be to everyone’s liking.

Update – I originally reviewed this in 2003 so thought it would be fun to re-review it with a 2004 vintage. For the most part it is very consistent, although I didn’t find this new batch to be as spicy. The head came up a lot better though so I’m raising the Appearance rating by half a point.

4.03/5  rDev +7.5%

12 oz. brown long neck bottle with a freshness date on the back label.

Appearance: Lightly hazed coppery orange hue, a thick pancake like head rests on top and does not want to break apart.

Smell: Soft pungent citric hop aroma, very floral with hints of tangerine juice. Soft bready grain in the nose as well.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy with a bitter start. Malt sweetness shows it is big enough to handle the hops and the hops have to muscle-up to make sure they are on top. The pungency of the hops is very pleasing with a citric tone all the way through. Subtle fruitiness with a yeast backing. Ends with a supple bready sweetness and a slam of pungent oily hop.

Notes: This is what I think the ideal standard American brewed IPA should taste like as it has all of the trademark qualities of one. An easy pairing for me was to put it up against a sharp aged cheddar.

3.68/5  rDev -1.9%

On-tap at the brewpub.

My second beer of the afternoon from Pike. Somewhay hazy peachy-copper in color. Nice lacing on the pint glass. Aromas are a mixture of floral and citrus. Nothing to nose-piercing. Flavor is a more balanced mix of the citric-floral hops and a sweet, almost caramel malt flavor. Finish is dry and long-lasting with bitterness. Good mouthfeel and drinkable.

3.16/5  rDev -15.7%

On tap poured into a sampling glass.

Pours a very clear amber with a small white head with lots of what lacing. Nose is tame without much going for it.

Taste is well balanced, malty with a light hop bite but not over he top, fairly earthy with a smooth finish. Carbonation is light.

3.63/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Received this in my first BIF in a package from Brewfan. Thanks!

Appearance- Pours a nice looking amber-golden with about two fingers of very tight, bubbly head on top. Great head retention, and a layer actually sticks around throughout the drink. Not much in the way of visible carbonation beading up.

Smell- Lots of hops, and as is the case with many west coast IPAs, I find it to be on the side of very fruity smelling hops. A lot of grapefruit bursting out with just a touch of malt sweetness underneath.

Taste- Grapefruit rind with a touch of pine resin come across in a big way first, as I like from a good IPA. However, I find this to be surprisingly balanced for a west coast IPA, with some malt noticeably coming across on the palate. I like it, though it definitely doesn't hit me in the face as much as I was expecting.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Very good creamy mouthfeel on this one with very nice carbonation. Drinkability is also very solid on this one for me because of the balance.

Overall, I like it. A very good IPA and one that I'd have again. Doesn't beat you over the head with hops despite being very hop forward. While not the best IPA I've ever had, I'd definitely have it again.

3.73/5  rDev -0.5%

I love Pike's beers and this is a pretty good one, if not as complex as some of their other beers. With the large amounts of hops, it's just another Pac NW IPA, and lacks the identity of their Pale Ale or Kilt Lifter. It's a deep copper, with a smallish head, and lasting big-bubbled foam. The hop aroma is not too forthcoming, but the beer contain quite a bit of bitterness and large chunks of grapefruit. The malts are biscuity and pretzel-like and definitely pull their weight. A light smokiness is evident, as well as an appealing earthiness from the yeast, but the hops bash those flavors down. The bitterness lingers on the tongue a bit too long for my taste. I'd say a touch more aromatics, a fraction less bitterness, play up the yeast and burnt maltiness, and this would be near perfect. As such, it's a worthwhile beer but not outstanding.

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%

3.45/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Slightly hazy apricot colored with a low beige head that rises up minimally and quickly flattens out to a soapy cap.

Aroma of bready malt, citrus, and honey.

Initially sharp citrus hop flavor, accented with honey. Quickly moves to piney hops, fairly bitter, some grapefruit rind lingers. Flavorful, but not overly complex.

Thin mouthfeel, a little slick. Decent drinkability, tasty but not approaching greatness.

3.82/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A classic IPA. Pike, always one of my fave breweries. More orange than many of the old school IPAs, looks like a new style west coast ipa. Great aroma, smells and tastes like Cascades.

Hides the alcohol well (a Pike trademark), good backbone to the beer, doesn't allow the large amount of bitterness and hop character to run free, unbalanced. All works together quite nicely. Loses a little bit mouthfeel wise, because its been known to take on a woodsier feel down the road, losing some of its hoppiness.

4.09/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured from a bottle. Dark red/orange in color with an off white head. Citrus hop aroma in the nose. Taste is citrusy, plenty of bitterness. Texture is a tad on the thin side. Overall pretty good.

3.75/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a chilled bomber, 6.3 ABV, 60 IBU.

A-Pours a dark apricot unfiltered amber with a fairly thin eggshell head that settles rapidly. Nice looking beer, a bit dark from what I would expect from an IPA.

S-Mostly sweet caramel malts. Not picking up much hop character here, but what I am picking up is of the citrus rind variety.

T-Huge creamy hop goodness mated with an equally huge sweet juicy malt backbone. Well balanced taste that tapers off in a lingering astringent bitter finish. Feels bigger than the ABV suggests, taste-wise.

M-Well balanced carbonation, and a creamy mouthfeel that is fairly heavy for the style, but I'm not saying it is a bad thing, just different.

O-I will definitely be buying this again. Nice switchup from the traditional summer refresher IPA, this would do very well with some chill in the wind. Well done.

3.75/5  rDev 0%

This beer pours a clear medium amber hue, with two fingers of soapy light beige head, which leaves a decent round of thin webbed lace on the glass as it falls away. It smells of caramel and toffee malt, and zingy citrus. The taste is pine and citrus oil, with a biscuit/toffee sweet undertone. The carbonation is moderate, the body medium weight, viscous, and smooth, and it finishes off-dry, the caramel malt and pine hop doing the watusi well past the end of the music.

A pretty decent IPA, and despite the prevalent hop character, what I took away was actually the sweetness. Huh.

3.3/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from notes.

A: Pours a hazy orange color with a small off-white head on top. Not much retention or lacing.

S: Seems to a bit on the malty side for an IPA. Some graham cracker malt, caramel, and a little bread. There is some faint grass and citrus fruit.

T: Also a little maltier than I would prefer with some caramel malt pretty heavy throughout. Some light grassy and floral hops as well as some faint citrus.

M: Light to medium bodied with medium carbonation. Pretty easy drinking.

O: An average IPA, a little on the malty side.

3.85/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a nice light amber, fairly opaque, bright. Modest head with an aggressive pour.

The smell is subdued, hoppy and bitterish with orange or lemon,

I like the taste of this beer, it's predominantly hoppy, of course, but the hops are only the baseline element, there are notes of sweet caramel malt, citrus, on top and it's all well balanced. Mouthfeel is similarly good, substantive enough to be full flavored yet still crispy and refreshing. In summary, this is a pretty good IPA and one that I'd regularly pick with my dinner (compliment, of course).

Interesting sidenote, but in my experience this is a brewer that just gets no PR or respect here in its hometown. There's plenty of competition, of course, but Pike makes some nice brews and I don't get why they are so under the radar.

3.53/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle courtesy of Presario. Pours orange body with significant off-white head. Mild hop aroma. Passable IPA taste, the bitterness is there mostly in the finish, almost astringent.A little grapefruit. Not greatly drinkable.Midling mouthfeel.Malt there but it does nothing special for me.

Pike India Pale Ale from The Pike Brewing Company