Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Pike Kilt Lifter Scotch Style Ale - Pike Pub & Brewery

Pike Kilt Lifter Scotch Style AlePike Kilt Lifter Scotch Style Ale

good

Pike Pub & Brewery visit their website
Washington, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pike Kilt Lifter Scotch Style Ale Alström Bros
firstprev| 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next → last
2.71/5  rDev -23.7%

This beer pours an amber color with a small head that goes away fast and doesn't leave any lacing on the glass. kmpitz2 described the aroma as tomato and spices and I totallly agree. The flavor was much the same. I didn't even detect any peated malt. Something really strange about this brew, not in a good way. I had to pour this one out. (339 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is a mild and washed out version of the style.

Pours amber with a disappointing head. The aroma is sweet, a little peaty, with an unfortunate bite of elastic. The flavor is sweet, slight, and malty with a band-aid finish that is not appealing. The mouthfeel is prickly to an unpleasant degree. (299 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -25.9%

A 12 oz bottle from Liquid Solutions.

A: The ale is an amber orange color, far to vibrant and clear to be a wee heavy. The head is practically nonexistent.

S: The aroma has some stronger malt notes and just a mere hint of smokiness.

T: The ale has an unremarkable malt body supported by some bittering hops and absolutely no smokiness. I think that the ale is older but not quite too old to support the big flavors in a wee heavy.

M: The mouthfeel is malty but lacks any real memorable aspect.

D: I'll try another one just to confirm or dispel my initial conclusions, but what I found here was not enjoyable in any form. (635 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -27%

Poured into a tulip glass from a 22oz bomber.

A- pours deep orange/slightly red with some evident chill haze and a rapidly dissipating head. No lacing evident.

S- Malty aroma appropriate for style but a bit thin. For this style I expect a more rounded malty sweetness, but this one struggles to waft through your senses.

T- This one provided some strange complexities. The malt backbone is definitely present - but tastes like perhaps the mash was overextracted... some tannins evident. Also, the hop bitterness comes out more than I would anticipate.

M- Medium bodied and rounded with nice carbonation. Thankfully the head retention issue does not seem to be a function of under carbonation.

D- Worth another try, but not something I'd seek out. (751 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -27.6%

Not a good example of the style, and bland.

A: Cloudy amber/brown. Not quite sure what the brewer was going for.

S: Smelled like an ale, some sweetness noted, some fruit maybe apricot. There was a slight smokey aroma.

T: Bland, ale taste. No sweetness, no tartness, no smoke. Nothing that tasted like a scotch ale to me.

M: The body was heavy and appropriate to style.

D: I finished it, it was not horrible, but there are so many better examples of the style. Skip this and try another. (491 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -31.5%

This beer really misses the mark for a style that I consider one of my absolute favorites.

The color is much lighter than I am used to seeing, a clear bronze.

I'm not going to spend too much time on this review because honestly the beer is just not worth it.

The taste is way off the mark. Missing is the peaty smokiness and complex malt that a Wee Heavy should have. In its place is a somewhat medicinal flavor with a hint of sweet malt.

Pass if you have a better option. (476 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -36.9%

From a 12 oz. bottle with IBU and OG info (nice) but no freshness date. A murky dark orange with a thin instantly dissipating head despite an aggressive pour into a snifter. The aroma was pleasant but faint; some ripe orange and sweet malt.

Whatever flavor there was tasted watered down. Some grainy sweetness, some bitter in back, dry finish. Just thin and lacking in character. I expected more body from a "Scotch Style" as well, but this offering from the Seattle brewpub just didn't have the stones to earn the title. I lifted the kilt and didn't find anything there! (574 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -37.2%

Recieved as a joke sort of I guess from the shotgun BIF. I had really never had much from them, but being this is one of my favorite styles what the heck right? Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 08/30/2009.

The pour was off from the start, small tan head which faded almost instantly was replaced by only the slightest bit of lacing on the sides of the glass, which itself faded momentarily leaving behind only a bare, brown liquid. Aroma was a mess, wet carbonard, hints of caramel were muted and astringent. A touch of tannic flavors welcomed me, or scared me away, It was just all over. Watery flavor, thin and flat feel, nothing redeeming it at all. Small touch of caramel, maybe at the end of it, but really just shocked by how off this one was. No sign of alcohol or depth in the body.

Overall the worst scotch ale I have ever had. I am really shocked to be honest as well. It was just all over the place and way too thin for the style. I was expecting average but did not even get that. Not sure whats going on but I would not go here again. (1,083 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -38.6%

Highly dissapointed in this one...thin...fizzy...lacks peat...lacks maltiness...has almost a fruity sourness...very unremarkable drinking experience. I would never buy this one again...perhaps it's old but we got it from Liquid Solutions and I assume they only ship fresh beer..even if it is old a 6.6% Scotch should hold up better...tangy tasting...just not at all what I expected....light orange color....nose almost smells like a barnyard...tart on the finish...not very good at all (485 characters)

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a beer can glass on 06.13.14.

A: Very thin tan mess of a head. It recedes from splotches to nothing. Cloudy brown body.

S: Very faint caramel and earthiness.

T: Follows the nose.

M: It feels flat even though there are some bubbles on the tongue.

O: This was a dead beer. It looked and tasted like flavored water. I don't have an idea of how old it was, but this is the 3rd Pike beer out of 3 that I've had like this. Drain pour.

Rating: F (478 characters)

firstprev| 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next → last