Pike Kilt Lifter Scotch Style Ale - Pike Pub & Brewery

Pike Pub & Brewery visit their website
Washington, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pike Kilt Lifter Scotch Style Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 427 | Reviews: 214
3.48/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pour is reddish orange. Head appears for a moment and then vanishes entirely. Nose reminds me of hops dipped in caramel. Taste is hoppy, brown sugary, and caramel-y. This one isn't completely doing it for me, I'll be honest. Mouth is quite nice though. Very thick ... carbonation is like a blanket. Drinkability is ok because the taste isn't bad or tastebud wrecking after only a couple sips. It would work to try a sixer of this.

3.55/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours an orange-amber color topped by just a touch of creamy white head. Aroma of rich caramel malt, some light peaty smoke, light fruity hops, and a hint of diacetyl. Palate is well-balanced between sweet caramel and fruity hops, with notes of dark fruit and peat smoke. Medium body is just a bit light for this style, and lacks the syrupy feel that is characteristic of some of the heavier-hitting scotch ales. Nonetheless, it's a fairly tasty and easy-drinking take on the style.

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

A - Pours a cloudy brown/amber color, some carbonation, tiny head, some lacing afterwards.

S - Scents of malts and a little smokiness.

T - The taste is sweet malty with a clean finish.

M - Light-Medium body, nicely balanced brew.

D - Drinkable. This brew surprised me, I thought that I would not like it, but it's really not that bad. Would buy again.

3.65/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a clear pint glass. Decent 1 finger off-white head faded slowly leaving a thin layer. Looks a bit like an amber ale, amger to brown color. Not at all what I was expecting.

One of my favorite brews locally is the Silver City Scotch Ale. I was thinking this would be something along those lines, but straight off the appearance wasn't even close. The Silver City Scotch is very dark (almost black), so I am curious to see how this compares.

Aroma is milder than I expected, Malt, brown sugar, plum, a tinge of smokiness.

This is not bad, pretty tasty actually, there are some hops here to balance out the sweet caramel/brown sugar, and this happens to be very drinkable. Not great, but could see throwing a few of these back easily.

I really need to seek out more brews in this style as this one is night and day different to the only other scotch ale I've had to compare it to.

3.28/5  rDev -8.4%

This has a cloudy orange colour and an ample head. I wasn't able to divine much of a nose because of the smoky bar I was consuming this in.

It has a fruity, tangy flavour with a malt profile which manages to mix caramel and carrot. This is well balanced with enough hops to give it a little bite. As the beer warms the fairly high alcohol content becomes apparent. I like this beer but it isn't easy to knock back and an imperial pint was more than enough.

3.38/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I poured this beer in to a pint tumbler. It has a copper/brown color and is quite clear. The head was moderate, off-white and bubbly, but dissipated quickly to a thin white film, with some lacing.

The beer has a faint smell and is malty. The smell is generally unremarkable.

The taste is nice, smoky and malty with a slightly bitter hop finish. The after taste is short lived but pleasant.

I enjoyed this beer. It is light, tasty and very drinkable. I’d love to stop by the Pike Pub & Brewery and try one on tap some time.

3.02/5  rDev -15.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Slightly hazy amber color with some floating sediment. Pancake head is gone in a minute flat.

Sweet malty aroma in the nose. Faint sour whiskey notes detectable.

Taste is all caramel sweetness initially, not as smoky as a typical wee heavy. Alcohol warming is noticable halfway through the glass, as well as bittering hops. Some (little) smoked peat(not much).

Mouthfeel is a little syrupy, middle of the road carbonation. I'm not sure I would want more than one of these.

I found it to be a decent beer but not one I would seek out. I also don't think it's a very good representation of the style. The faint smokiness probably means it would pair well with with a good stadium dog or a hearty chowder, but by itself this really just drinks like a malty amber ale.

3.47/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The head is tiny, off-white, bubbly, greasy. Beer is hazy copper-orange, maybe tending somewhat toward brown. There's sweet toffee/caramel/brown sugar in the nose. Some pipe smoke. Dark tobacco toffee in front; tangy, fruity caramel in the middle; sour fruit and smoky caramel in the end. Interesting. Sour fruit and dark, burned caramel. Not bad. Kind of "homebrewy".

4.03/5  rDev +12.6%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck bottle. Best by date notched on the side.

Appearance: Pours brownish orange with a good thick head. Decent retention.

Smell: Lots of malt sweetness. There is also a roasted smokey flavor to it - reminds me of the dimly lit Pike Pub!

Taste: Very smooth and creamy. Lots of sweet malt, and then a bit of hops at the end to balance it out.

Overall impression: Dangerously drinkable. High ABV and great drinkability could be a very dangerous combination in this one. Wish I could get it regularly here in Colorado.

2.92/5  rDev -18.4%

This beer has a lot of complex flavours, but unfortunately, it didn't really do it for me.

The peated malt is apparant, and there is some residual sweetness, but overall, it was too bitter for this style. The flavours were just a little harsh for my tastebuds.

3.68/5  rDev +2.8%

Deep amber in colour with a small white, short lived head.
Not much in the way of aroma, easy goin' hint of sweetness. Maybe my nose isn't working.
Largely malty flavor, finishing with a small, although noticeble, hop kick.
Seems somewhat light in the mouth.
Which makes it easy to drink.
This is different then other examples of the style I've tried. Subdued sweetness, a hop presence, and a much lighter body.
Good stuff.

3.76/5  rDev +5%

I think I remember liking this a bit more on tap up in Seattle but out of the bottle is only a notch down. This is a good looking beer, a nice deep reddish orange color with a 1 inch head that lasted a bit. The bubbles in the head weren't particularly small but they held up well. Not any noticeable carbonation to be seen.

The smell is a whiff of marmalade and not much else. Not overpowering, that is for sure, but decent. I really didn't get much else out of it.

This is a slightly dry beer, not very hoppy, and the carbonation is just barely there, enough to let you know. It is a nicely sweet beer, the maltiness sticking out a bit to smooth it out. It does have a smoky aftertaste but I don't think I noticed the peat mentioned on the bottle.

It sits well in the mouth, asking for another hit or, even better, a visit to Pike's itself. Well done.

3.18/5  rDev -11.2%

Lucent, dark orange-amber; butterscotch more specifically. The head is light caramel in color with a definite orangish tint and is sitting at a solid two fingers as I type. It's in no hurry to depart, but when it finally does, sudsy scraps and small sheets of lace make their way to the glass. Not quite what I have in mind when I think 'wee heavy', but it's an acceptable look.

Disappointing. There's no other way to describe the aroma since it has very little, if any, Scotch ale characteristics. What reaches my nose is a muddled conglomeration of malt and hops with a phenolic scent that does not put me in mind of the great phenolic whiskies of Scotland. It isn't a bad nose really, but is an unfocused, weak, somewhat anti-style one.

The flavor follows suit. Kilt Lifter is not especially good beer. The phenolic, medicinal flavor coming from the yeast (I assume) overpowers all of the other potential flavors to the detriment of the whole. It's malt-dominant... without being all that malty. It's more sweet than bitter... without being overly sweet. All in all, the mishmash of flavors don't come together well at all. I wish that the medium-long finish was only half as long.

Kilt Lifter (a fairly common name it seems) is not good beer. It misses the style mark by a fairly wide margin, yet isn't so bad that it's completely without merit. It really isn't worth a purchase though and I'm glad that I only bought one bottle. Pass this one by.

The beer pours a nice amber color with a thick frothy offwhite head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a mild crystal malt scent with a bit of peated malt aroma. The taste is good, although I'm not sure it really nails the style too well. It has a nice and light malty core with a smokey feel and a rather bitter hop aftertaste . It goes down smooth and has a grainy bisquit malt and hop finish. The mouthfeel is good. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a fine brew. It is certainly unique and quite flavorful; a good drinker.

2.18/5  rDev -39.1%

Highly dissapointed in this one...thin...fizzy...lacks peat...lacks maltiness...has almost a fruity sourness...very unremarkable drinking experience. I would never buy this one again...perhaps it's old but we got it from Liquid Solutions and I assume they only ship fresh beer..even if it is old a 6.6% Scotch should hold up better...tangy tasting...just not at all what I expected....light orange color....nose almost smells like a barnyard...tart on the finish...not very good at all

2.71/5  rDev -24.3%

This beer pours an amber color with a small head that goes away fast and doesn't leave any lacing on the glass. kmpitz2 described the aroma as tomato and spices and I totallly agree. The flavor was much the same. I didn't even detect any peated malt. Something really strange about this brew, not in a good way. I had to pour this one out.

3.21/5  rDev -10.3%

This beer pours a golden amber color with a finger of head that falls to ring the beer. The nose is really strange. The first thing that comes to mind is tomato, some leather and spiceyness. I hope the flavor is different. What I get in the flavor is odd. I get the peated flavor, but it tastes a bit like leather. There is a bit of bite in the finish, but overall I don't like the beer all that much. Not what I want from a Scotch. The feel is rather thin, and drinkability suffers from the odd notes I get in the flavor and nose. I would not recommend this beer.

3.34/5  rDev -6.7%

I had the pleasure to drink this beer back in the days when there was a LOT of peated barley presence (and it was still called "Maul Hammer.") It still has some decent mouthfeel, and when it warms up, you get just the slightest reminder of that smoky peat. It has always been a smooth drinker, to the point of being quite dangerous in its 6.5% abv past, but I think it's been dumbed down to the point of near-fogettability. Still, it's better than most US attempts at a Scottish style.

3.31/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours a copper orange with a white cream head that fades rather quickly. The smell is of roasted malts and grilled fruit, alcohol lingers. The taste is very light for this style, roasted malts and fruit blend well with the alcohol tones, hopyp dryness bring up the rear. A drinkable Scotch Ale but lighter than most, I like Scotch Ales with a cigar but this one just doesn't quite make it to the cigar room.

4.57/5  rDev +27.7%

Copper infused rust color, a bit of chill haze to it, large and thickly fluffed beige head sits well for a while before descending to a thin collar and the lacing sticks in strings and spots. Aroma is super yummy malt goodness, thick and dark caramel, super nice peat moss thats not overly smokey, but favorlaby earthy and has a terrific sweetness to it overall. Taste follows suit with a brigade of dark caramel and toffee sweetness with super nice earth tones and breadiness to make it rich and thick. Again the peat is there but not overwhelmingly smokey, it adds just enough to it to really go "Wow". Hops play underneath more towards the finish with a slight spice and bite helping the end of warmth and add to some of the slight dryness. Great feel, nearly full, very well rounded, and toothsweet smoothness and the low carbonation makes this a creamy thick treat to drink. The first thing that came to mind, and only after a few sips, is that its a whole hell of alot like a good barleywine. But without all the baggage of the higher ABV. A real plus and incentive to get alot more of this in the future, as it is quite a malty, yummy treat. One I would keep in my fridge alot if I could get it. Yummy! Did I already say that?

3.95/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a nice copper/orange with a thin head that is gone pretty quickly,aroma is soft and fruity with a light alcohol note that lingers.Taste is fruity in the start with an alcoholic warming aspect to it,I noticed a hoppy dryness in the finish.Seems a bit thin for the style but flavorful I would try it again though.

3.87/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a clear tea color with a most but very creamy off-white head. The smell consists of a musty smoke aroma with smooth malt tones as well. The taste is malty with a smokey overtone and very light hops and again the musty presence with a medicinal end to each swallow. The carb bite in this beer with the flavors seems somewhat electrified with a nine-volt batter that zaps the tongue. This is a light bodied beer that finishes smokey dry.

Notes: It has alot going for it but one thing that really is out of whack is the ultra thin mouthfeel. Still fairly drinkable, but it comes up short of a great beer.

3.78/5  rDev +5.6%

Pike Kilt Lifter Scotch Style Ale was served from a 22 oz. bottle. In a pint glass, the beer was a clear orange caramel brown color, and was topped by a negligable head. that left weak lacing. The nose was quite malty, with a nice orange citrus presence and just a slight hint of peat smoke. I would have liked the peat to be more pronounced. I was pleasantly suprised by the taste though. A sweet flash is very quickly eclipsed by a powerful orange zippy bitterness, which lasts though to the drier, very estery earthy bitter finish...very nice and lively.. The body felt appropriately full for the flavors and style, but the carbonation was a bit lacking, which was apparant from the lack of a significant head. Overall, a very tasty effort that drinks well.

3.68/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance – Dark orange in color and thick. The head was nice as well, pitting into little puddles on top of the body and leaving a little lacing.

Smell – The caramel malt aroma is smooth and pleasant. I’m not catching a lot of scotch, though.

Taste – The scotch taste is there, but very light. It’s also very smooth, which is something you often don’t find when sampling this style. This one also has some powdery pepper spicing to it.

Mouthfeel – A little thinner than I had hoped, but the smoothness makes up for it.

Drinkability – I don’t know if I’ll be “lifting my kilt” after one of these, but it sure was tasty.

3.78/5  rDev +5.6%

Dark copper body with a light tan head. Smells of sweet, almost winey malts. Slight medicinal character and some hops too. Taste starts with the winey sweetish malts, bread pudding, and then a smokey-peat bog flavor. Finish is more bitter than other Scotch ales I've had, with lingering sweetness. Medium to big body, with a little syrupy feel. A little sweet to drink much.

Pike Kilt Lifter Scotch Style Ale from Pike Pub & Brewery