Pike Kilt Lifter Scotch Style Ale - The Pike Brewing Company

The Pike Brewing Company visit their website
Washington, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pike Kilt Lifter Scotch Style Ale Alström Bros
2.95/5  rDev -17.1%

Got this in a trade. I love trying all new Scotch Ales, even if I end up not liking them.

Pours too light and cloudy and frothy for my taste. Smells like a non-distinct, non-BMC craft ale of vague characteristics.

Tastes the same. Light hops, slight malty feel, very thin. Not offensive but nothing to cheer for. Carbonation is too high for a SA.

If someone had presented this to me as an Irish Red Ale, it would be a nice effort. But as a Scotch ale, it's waaay off the mark.

Sad for Scotch lovers like myself. But a tasty red ale in the Sam Adams, or O'Hara style nonetheless.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

A-Nice deep copper color, thin head, some lacing.

S-Wonderful malty and earthy nose

T-Rather sweet with some background bitterness. Smooth, roasty and malty.

M-Very smooth, viscous, slight carbonation bite at the side of the tongue.

D-Goes down easy, but at 6.5% you get some bang for your buck

3.89/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

On tap at the Daily Grill in downtown Seattle. I've lived in the area for 20+ years all told and have never sampled Pike Pub profferings, but a day on my feet with the Black Friday throngs convinced me that I needed a little more.

This beer delivered the goods. Appearance was consistently opaque, almost sultry - this ale would indeed be seductive. Mouth feel is crisp and velvety. Two or three of these and you will be on your way.

3.87/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours a dark caramel color with minimal head. Mouthfeel is light with a refreshing floral finish. Pine, woodsy feel. Overall not a ton of taste though. Fairly bland until the aftertaste

4.02/5  rDev +12.9%

A clear, red-gold Scotch Style Ale with a medium, off-white dissapating head. The smell I couldn't quite place at first, after reading the label it was quite clear...slightly burnt or smokey peat. It has a slightly "burnt" taste, and is malty, with a cedary finish. It has a firm texture in my mouth. Overall, I found this beer to be strangely different but definitely enjoyable.

(source: Athens, GA)

3.48/5  rDev -2.2%

Nice dark amber color with red and gold hues peeking through in the light. No head, no real cap and not much lacing to speak of, maybe just a hint of tan and white floating in there. The smell is a sweet caramel-like scent. Not too complex. Some smokey tones linger there too. The taste was very much on the sweet side, but had a nice little spicey, smokey bite to it. Again though, not too complex. Light to medium bodied with a mildly carbonated mouthfeel. Goes good with the food at the pub, but I wouldn't necessarily be looking for this one otherwise.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a beer can glass on 06.13.14.

A: Very thin tan mess of a head. It recedes from splotches to nothing. Cloudy brown body.

S: Very faint caramel and earthiness.

T: Follows the nose.

M: It feels flat even though there are some bubbles on the tongue.

O: This was a dead beer. It looked and tasted like flavored water. I don't have an idea of how old it was, but this is the 3rd Pike beer out of 3 that I've had like this. Drain pour.

Rating: F

2.57/5  rDev -27.8%

Not a good example of the style, and bland.

A: Cloudy amber/brown. Not quite sure what the brewer was going for.

S: Smelled like an ale, some sweetness noted, some fruit maybe apricot. There was a slight smokey aroma.

T: Bland, ale taste. No sweetness, no tartness, no smoke. Nothing that tasted like a scotch ale to me.

M: The body was heavy and appropriate to style.

D: I finished it, it was not horrible, but there are so many better examples of the style. Skip this and try another.

3.51/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance-slightly hazy reddish orange, 1/2 finger of off white foam that disappears immediately. It has a high alcohol or sugar content because it has legs like a wine.

Aroma- carmel , bandaids light apple and citrus fruit?!.

Taste- carmel butterscotch and band aids. I think a combination of high kettle caramelization and slightly vegetal tasting hop makes for and interesting and earthy ale. The hops more or less balance out there is a slight pine in the finish though.

Mouthfeel- seems right on a bit syrupy, but the booze is well disguised. Lower effervescence is spot on.

Overall- I think a decent representation of the style. It improves as it warms in the glass I think I would like to see it a touch clearer in the glass, and maybe a touch less boozy.

4.22/5  rDev +18.5%

Oooooh. I really like this beer. Out of the traditional PNW bottled staples, Pike's Kilt Lifter and Bridgeport's Pintail Ale are among the more frequently chosen brews to have, Modelled after traditional scotish heavy ales, Pike's version has an interesting blend of smokey peat on the palette along with some real thirst quenching kicks from its arrangement of hops.

Pours very clean with a moderate size head, giving way to a decent collar, a tight surface foam and decent glass lacing. Although not pegged as a bitter, this one certainly plays double duties for my own tastes and because it has a fairly bitter punch to it, it’s a great addition with a meal. But be forewarned, if you're not careful, this 'heavy' will quickly become a warming ale as its 6.6%abv can sneak up on you when you least expect it,

When you see Pike Place in the store, this Pike Kilt Lifter is the one I'd recommend from this classic Seattle brewery.

3.02/5  rDev -15.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Slightly hazy amber color with some floating sediment. Pancake head is gone in a minute flat.

Sweet malty aroma in the nose. Faint sour whiskey notes detectable.

Taste is all caramel sweetness initially, not as smoky as a typical wee heavy. Alcohol warming is noticable halfway through the glass, as well as bittering hops. Some (little) smoked peat(not much).

Mouthfeel is a little syrupy, middle of the road carbonation. I'm not sure I would want more than one of these.

I found it to be a decent beer but not one I would seek out. I also don't think it's a very good representation of the style. The faint smokiness probably means it would pair well with with a good stadium dog or a hearty chowder, but by itself this really just drinks like a malty amber ale.

3.41/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This is a nice basic ale that doesn't try too hard and would be appealing to the masses as a gateway beer. With it's price, I always have high expectations for this beer. I want to like it more. It's a good beer, but the quality does not line up with the price point.

Color is a nice orange almond with very minimal lacing after the first pour. Smell is not really there, but not bad either--light sweetmess and yeastiness. Taste is amazingly similar--not assertive in any way. Bready, biscuity, brown sugar, maybe some noble hops but not much on the bitter side at all, which is expected for Scotch ales. The amazing thing is how well the alcohol is masked and how easy it is to drink it.

Mouthfeel is pretty light and I would like something with a bit more heft, especially if this is doing all but claiming that it is a wee heavy.

3.47/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is easily my favourite of all the offerings that Pike has to offer. Nothing exceptional, but it is a tasty, malty (but not overly so) beer that drinks very smoothly. I definitely would buy again and the price point isn't bad either. This is the first scotch style ruby ale I've tried and it's made me interested to try other offerings in this vein.

4.07/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle. Dark red in color with light brown head. Cereal grain aroma with a hint of hops. Taste is a good blend of cereal grains, malt and a mix of hops. A bit of bitterness in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is good. Overall beer is great.

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

Real nice beer. I don't know if it can be called a "wee heavy", didn't seem thick enough, but the flavor was wonderful. Tad on the hpbby-bitterness side, but I am not saying that is bad at all. The color was a nice suprise, I kept holding it up to the light. I look forward to trying it there again sometime. I have to leave the family home though, they wouldn't let my daughter in the place, not even to sit on the couch. Kinda anal about that.

2.59/5  rDev -27.2%

Poured into a tulip glass from a 22oz bomber.

A- pours deep orange/slightly red with some evident chill haze and a rapidly dissipating head. No lacing evident.

S- Malty aroma appropriate for style but a bit thin. For this style I expect a more rounded malty sweetness, but this one struggles to waft through your senses.

T- This one provided some strange complexities. The malt backbone is definitely present - but tastes like perhaps the mash was overextracted... some tannins evident. Also, the hop bitterness comes out more than I would anticipate.

M- Medium bodied and rounded with nice carbonation. Thankfully the head retention issue does not seem to be a function of under carbonation.

D- Worth another try, but not something I'd seek out.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

This is my favorite style, so of course I'm going to be a bit picky. To start, I take issue with this being called a Scotch-Style Ale, since it's only 6.5%. This should be listed as a Scottish Ale. Just saying...

A: Brown-amber hue, thin head.

S: Malty aroma, very little in the way of hops. Looking good so far.

T: Smoky / peaty! Pushes the smokiness to the limit of what I consider OK, but holds back just at the edge. Balanced nicely by the malty, almost chewy body.

M: Great mouthfeel, excellent body, as a Scottish ale should be.

D: Quasi-drinkable, only because of the smokiness. Rein in the smokiness vs maltiness, and you've got yourself a Scottish ale worthy of a session.

2.73/5  rDev -23.3%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into an imperial pint glass. It pours a reddish amber color with nice head and good lacing.

The aroma is malty and very sweet. Has some fruity notes but it lacks some hop notes I would expect from a scotch ale.

The taste is also very sweet but it has some smokey and peat notes to it, guess that's the scotch ale in it. It's still not as hoppy as I would like and not a great example of a scotch ale in my opinion.

Feels a little watery and I wouldn't be really excited to drink another.

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

Got a 650ml bottle from Total Wine & More:

A: I poured the ale into a tulip-shaped nosing glass, it revealed a copper/amber hue, with some darker, mahogany notes, with a small amount of lacing on top. A bit lighter in color, and viscosity than other Scotch styles I've encountered.

S: The ale smells of hickory smoke, a bit of coarse grain, such as oatmeal (rather faint), and there is some degree of a citrus, or berry fruit on the back. Nice malty sweetness, but not overly powerful. Once you notice the smoke, it really is the first thing that hits you, and it sticks around.

T&M: There is a nice woody feel to this beer. I would classify it similar to tawny ports, where you taste some wood, but it is very well balanced. Smoke obviously follows, notes of grilled corn, and there is a cherry-grapefruit spice on the finish. The texture is rather creamy, but not overly carbonated. A rather smooth, well balanced beer -- if anyone wants to do a smoked Turkey on Thanksgiving -- this would be a good choice to pair (especially if you have a cranberry sauce nearby).

Overall, I really like this ale. It is a good summertime Scotch ale. Not too heavy, the malty sweetness, and rich flavors are present, but not too intense. It doesn't have quite the oatmeal heaviness that you might find in Oskar Blues Old Chub, for example. Different, but appealing. I'll be buying this again!

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%

A: Ruddy brown, with more red highlights as you hold it to light. Little head and thus lacing, but almost certainly an artifact of my pour.

S: Malty, with just a touch of peat. Nothing stands out, but I've had a touch of allergies lately so I may not be smelling everything.

T: Similar to the smell, I don't get a lot from this. It's just a nicely balanced, easy-drinking malty beer. Maybe a little syrupy on the finish? I don't know for sure.

M: Just a little carbonation makes this otherwise-thin beer feel more full-bodied. As some other reviewers have noted, this isn't a big Scotch ale, but rather more like a red. Taken as a red, it's great; as a Scotch, I'm left wanting more. My review number reflects the average of those two =)

D: Despite any negative implications above, I could drink this all night. I've often noticed an inverse correlation between the first four characteristics and this last one; this beer is no different.

3.72/5  rDev +4.5%

Golden brown color, crisp with a hint of ruby. Nutty, caramel smells, sweet. Taste of burnt caramel malt, fruits, and some bitterness. Appearance and smell were better than the taste, IMHO. Certainly not bad at all, but definitely not a top runner either. A great beer for the sidelines of a world sampling tour.

4.02/5  rDev +12.9%

Almost an orange appearance in sunlight. Lacing was weak. Sweet aroma and sweet on the palate but not over the top. Terrific mouth feel...I was reluctant to swallow. Pleasant carbonation and exemplary taste. For a Scotch style ale it exceeded my expectations.

2.24/5  rDev -37.1%

From a 12 oz. bottle with IBU and OG info (nice) but no freshness date. A murky dark orange with a thin instantly dissipating head despite an aggressive pour into a snifter. The aroma was pleasant but faint; some ripe orange and sweet malt.

Whatever flavor there was tasted watered down. Some grainy sweetness, some bitter in back, dry finish. Just thin and lacking in character. I expected more body from a "Scotch Style" as well, but this offering from the Seattle brewpub just didn't have the stones to earn the title. I lifted the kilt and didn't find anything there!

3.35/5  rDev -5.9%

A-Pours a dark copper with a thin white head that leaves a subsiding lace down the glass, as it settles down theres barely a head left and the lacing becomes very watery and disappates.

S-malty, caramel and some kind of legume. sort of a toasted biscuity aroma hidden behind a mellow dark fruit.

T-definitely malty, smokey and a little caramel near the end, a nutty and dark fruit flavor is deep in there. i also taste some adjuncts in there which im not fond of (its said that rice has no taste, but i disagree, i get a taste of it in here)i expect it was used as a filler to make the beers price cheaper. I was expecting a bolder flavor out of a scotch style ale out of seattle, i would have liked more hops for a more bitter finish and a higher alcohol content to give it that extra bite, its not bad but i was expecting more.

M-light body but the flavors and malts give it a pallete heaviness which is actually very nice, it goes down smooth but doesnt completely leave your tongue.

D-it is actually a very easy to drink ale, i would have liked more hops and alcoholic bite but i think i would pick this up again. not a bad price either for what youre drinking.

3.41/5  rDev -4.2%

Nice brew with a good name. Looks good, smells good, tastes good. Has a range of flavors with each drink. Doesn't blow my socks off, but enjoyed it. Had a bomber from Total Wine ... would drink 2 back to back on a Friday. ;-) My taste buds need the equivalent of a 2x4 upside of 'em which is why I prefer IPA. That said, this brew has enough flavor and complexities in that flavor to keep me interested.

Pike Kilt Lifter Scotch Style Ale from The Pike Brewing Company