Harrods Knightsbridge 1849 Lager - Hofmark Brauerei

Harrods Knightsbridge 1849 LagerHarrods Knightsbridge 1849 Lager

Hofmark Brauerei visit their website
Germany

American Adjunct Lager |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: wlhagan3 on 05-11-2004)
Reviews by flyingpig:
2.48/5  rDev -24.4%

Amber with an off white head with bubbles that lasts not to bad although shrinks slightly.

Hops, malts & grain all detected here with a faint pine smell as well.

Has an oak/wood like taste with a strange bitter aftertaste that is quite dry. There is also some hops apparent here & some malts.

Light with decent carbonation although I felt it wasn't the smoothest of beers.

A okay lager that just wasn't to my taste. I enjoyed it although I wouldn't drink it again I don't think.

1001 Beers List & more:

flyingpig, Dec 28, 2010
3.7/5  rDev +12.8%

Not sure why this beer has been retired, this was bought as a present by my wife earlier this year, best before 1st Nov 2007, at a cost of £2.95 for a 450 ml flip-top bottle. Maybe Harrods have changed their lager brewer?

Anyway this bottle was poured into one of my Veltins Pilsner glasses (two and a half times).

The first pour, straight after the bottle was popped gave a two inch white head and a light golden, slightly hazy body with plenty of carbonisation. the head started to fall away as soon as I had a sip, but it didn't go completely. The second and third pour did the same, so plenty of condition within the beer.

The aroma wasn't too bad for a lager, I have trouble finding any nose with this type of beer, but this one had a good beery yeastiness to it.

The taste was better than a few lagers I've had. If in fact it is to be classed as an American Macro, then it is a bloody good one. I think this is actually a fine German Pilsner badged for the UK market as a lager. The flavours of light hops and malts came through, as did the yeast.

As with all lagers, the lightness prevents a great or amazing mouthfeel, but this had enough about it for me to enjoy. No metalic or tinny aftertaste, no huge dryness, just a pleasant feel to it.

An OK beer, the price (well it is Harrods) is a bit over the top, I wonder if it is available under a different name in Germany at a more realistic price?

BlackHaddock, Oct 09, 2007
3.05/5  rDev -7%

Bought this swing top bottle at the famous Harrods department store in London. 450 ML brown bottle. Brewed for Harrods by Hofmark Brauerei D-Cham. Listed as a "premium lager strong and pure with no artificial ingredients".

Musty malty sweet smelling in the glass. Pours with a huge white head that has big airy bubbles. Very clear. crystal/yellow look. This is the clearest (most filtered?) beer I have ever seen.

Clean sweet malt taste upfront on the tip of the tongue. The brew then gives a slightly meaty, cooked corn finish on the tongue. Medium to light coating mouth for a lager. It is an ok beer but not one I need another of soon... a non-offensive lager..

frank4sail, May 11, 2004
3.4/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer is clear golden, with a hint of brass, a big off-white head that has unevenly sized bubbles. Leaves good lacing.

The smell is very malty, grains, horse fodder, some citric nuances, and slightly of boiled vegetables.

The taste is also sweet and malty, bread, porridge, a slightly bitter finish.

Medium low carbonation, small soft bubbles, medium body, soft and finishing dry.

The maltiness is a bit too much.

rarbring, Nov 21, 2010
3.43/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a two finger white head that fades slowly leaving some lace. Clear amber color. Good carbonation and light-medium bodied. Slightly hoppy nose. Flavor light sweet malt, very clean, hops in background. £2.95 ($4.93) for a 500ml flip-top bottle only from Harrods Knightsbridge, London, England. Contract brewed by Hofmark Brauerei. Best by April 24, 2010. ABV is 5.2%.

jdhilt, Aug 20, 2009
2.53/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Received the brown swing-top bottle as a gift from the in-laws after their trip to London.

Pours a very light straw yellow with a big white effervescent head. Smelled and tasted a little skunked to me right off the bat. Mouth feel is a touch above thin. Not much malt backbone to speak of. There was some lacing in the glass after finishing the beer. Pretty lame beer in my opinion. Definitely won't be my choice of drink when I go to London this fall.

wlhagan3, Jul 01, 2005
4.4/5  rDev +34.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had a bottle of this in the Harrods tea room on the 2nd floor, with their delicious split pea and ham hock soup - I'd hit the wall on tea and crumpets!
Appearance is gold with a white foamy head with medium bubbled lace.
Smell is sweet herbal, citrus hops, sugars. Nice, but not what I was expecting, which would have been more cereals.
Taste is also on the sweet and fruity side, with a taunt bitterness on the finish, and almost a touch metallic. Reminds me a lot of a bier de garde, which I'm a big fan of.
Mouthfeel is light, modestly crisp, slippery.
Drinkability is high for me, as I love the fruitiness. However, its atypical for a german lager and may not please fans of that classic style. Since my tastes are strongly skewed to farmhouse style, I'm happy as can be.
3.5/4.5/4.5/4/4.5

ccrida, Sep 26, 2012
Harrods Knightsbridge 1849 Lager from Hofmark Brauerei
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.