Singha - Boon Rawd Brewery Co., Ltd

Thailand

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 07-20-2001

"100% barley malt beer"
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Singha Alström Bros
Reviews: 438 | Hads: 1,069

Excellent beer brewed under German technology. Great head smooth lager beer taste. Tastes best at a beer garden overlooking downtown Bangkok on a typical hot, humid day. Aroi maak maak. Tried it in Bangkok and other cities in Thailand, best beer in the country with Chang a close second. (292 characters)

reviewed from notes; 6/17/12.
A:light golden yellow in color with a thick white head.
S: smells really good! sweet malty smell, somewhat wheaty. has slightly sweet caramel flavor as it warms, this stuff is unbelievable!!!
T: great for a lager, everything a lager should be, but most are not!
M: perfect lager: silky smooth feel on the palate - new fav lager! (358 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +62.5%

Malty lager and golden yellow ‼ Good taste ‼

Singha beer with german technology.Builded in 1933. and exactly, I was seen the oldest logo of Singha beer at http://www.geranun.com/archives/1759

I love this beer , the first biggest brewery in Thailand. (257 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +49.7%

Appearance - Pours a clear golden color with a half-inch thick, fluffy white head that disappears after about a minute.

Smell - Has a grassy-like smell to it, with hints of honey and wheat.

Taste - Very sweet.. I taste the honey with some hops and malts. Can't point anything else out in specific. Has a slight bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Very thin beer with medium carbonation.

Overall - I was surprised by this beer.. I like it a lot. (443 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +47.4%

Boon Rawd.. the first and still the biggest brewey in Thailand. Malty lager herby and golden yellow abv 6% They brew it with german technology.Builded in 1933.I love this beer but it is more expensive than other beers in Thailand. It is worth the extra money. (259 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +43.8%

Appearance- clear yellow in color with beautiful small bubbles streaming up the glass, starts with medium white head that quickly fades to nothing, clear,

Smell- Corn, malts, slight hops, and grain, slightly sweet sugar grainy smell

Taste- right away somethings jumps out at me on this one that i really love, has a good grain flavor and has a bit of a malty sweetness to it but nothing to sweet that is overwhelming, slight moderate hops balance it out, I really also like the finish its crisp, enjoyable, and refreshing

Mouthfeel- smooth and yet light crisp and refreshing in your mouth, mod carb

Drinkability- Highly highly drinkable, a great session lager, I have to say I am sometimes hard on the lager style as I prefer ales but this one is good, I find something very unique and refreshing in this one, I'm glad i found this one and I think its one I will be revisiting (880 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +39.8%

I drank this beer in Thailand when I felt like spending the extra 10 baht (25 cents) over Chang. In Thailand it is served in a traditional long neck (not the funky bottles for export).

A good light tasting beer, unoffensive in any way, but not particularly great. Very little color, slightly sweet, and quick to grow a head.
I shall always have great memories of drinking it on a hot day with some spicy thai food, or while lounging on the beach, or even in a thai disco. Most people who love it do so for the same reasons- not because it's a great beer.

It is the best "thai" beer, though Heineken and Kloster are bottled locally. You can get other various brews from abroad in Bangkok in certain bars- but you'll pay through the nose. Why bother- when in Rome...

Beware of the 6.0% alcohol- it certainly isn't present in the taste- it'll catch up with you pretty fast. (881 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +39.8%

Lots of Singha flowing in Pattaya, even the turmoil of the yellow and reds couldn't keep this great beer from being enjoyed.
A - Pretty average, medium gold with minimal head
S - Another less than great aspect of this beer but still isn't bad, you can definitely smell the hops
T - This is where the beer shines, nice clean hoppy taste, a little floral but really clean
M - Carbonation and a little trailing bite give this beer a great mouthfeel
D - I gave it a 5.0 on drinkability, this beer isn't the sum of its parts. It tastes great, the mouthfeel is really good too, and its so easily drinkable with just the right amount of carbonation, pleasing flavors and bite to keep you coming back for more (701 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +39.5%

Poured from an 11.2 oz. bottle into a Pilsener glass.

A- The first beer to fit perfectly into my supposedly 12 oz. Pils glass. Since I have said it for all of the other beers I've reviewed in this category, I will say it for this one as well: pours a clear, piss-yellow color with a small white head. Head disappears quickly and leaves no lacing whatsoever.

S- Smells of yeast and malts, no hops. A very subdued smell, so it's tough to pick a whole lot out.

T- Big malt taste. I think I might detect a hint of chocolate(?). Bready taste lingers on the pallet. Really quite good for the style.

M- Spot-on for the style. Almost soda-like carbonation yet still smooth.

D- Keeping in mind the style, this is a very good beer. It's my first Asian beer, but when comparing with any of the American and Mexican macros and even a lot of the Europeans, this is top class. I don't know if I'd call it a session beer, but definitely a great beer to go along with a pizza, burger, or some other food. This might become a new tailgating beer for me. (1,041 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +38.2%

This beer is defintely a great lager with or without the food. Read the Singha table tent that was on my table as I was eating and found out that the owner of this brewery many years ago traveled to Germany to learn how to make Thailand's first beer.

The color was a nice pale golden hue and smelled like all barley. The first sip was very flavorful and it ended with a very nice hoppy taste. It definitely cleansed my palate nicely while I was eating my spicy Thai food. I definitely recommend anyone to try this when you get the chance. Cheers!

***Edit...found out through the BA mag that it is made with 100% barley malt with no adjuncts which is a plus in my book**** (674 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +35.9%

Maybe in my top five of favorite beers. This is definitely a new regular of mine.

At first appearance it had a great lager look. Nice, light golden color with a perfect head.

The smell was that of a great lager. You could really smell the grainy malts. It was a very pleasant smell that set it above most lagers.

The test reminds me a classic American lager, but with a much greater presence. The liquid tasted that of gold, which one would expect of a great lager.

It has a very medium presence in my mouth. It was light and heavy, without being to much of either. It had a very crisp taste and a smooth style that made its drinkability exceptional. (655 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +35.5%

This is a tasty, rather full-bodied lager with an enjoyable, somewhat unusual taste that is hard to pin down.

Golden, this has a big white head that lasts but leaves only a faint hint of lace.

The aroma is sweet, malty grain with flowery hops and pine, and a full, flowery fruitiness as well as a light alcoholic wine quality.

The taste is similar and strong, flowery, fruity, with grain and clear but smooth alcoholic warmth, and a spicey-bitterness in the finish. (469 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +34.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Excellent beer. No other beer in Southeast Asia comes close. Can be consumed warm or ice cold. Prefer ice cold. Heard the original brewers trained under the Guinness Brothers and modeled this beer on Harp, only difference they sourced the ingredients locally in Thailand. Not certain that is true but the beer stands out and I buy it whenever I see it all over the world. In Vietnam, where I live, I gt it delivered 5 cases at a time. It's carried by a single guy on the back of scooter. (487 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +33.6%

edit: trying it again...not quite 'ice cold' but the seeming 'rice' sweetness comes across very balanced, assertive, fresh, crisp. mouthfeel not flat at all...creamy and bright, tingly without too much carbo. again, very balanced. maybe this is a case of inconsistency (on the brewery's part...maybe mine), but this is quite enjoyable this time around with nothing to thai-related eat at the moment. the smell stays the same, but i have to jump up some points on the look, taste, mouthfeel and drinkability. yes, it's that radical a jump. wish i had bought a 6-pack of this batch.

(old review)
had at a very good thai restaurant somewhere near the new castle DE airport

pours a light straw with white head that builds and fades fast. little lacing. smells slightly tangy sweet. taste is sweet, rice-like (not sure if rice is in the bill) with very mild 'bitterness' or something that counters the sweetness. at least some balance. mouthfeel is a bit flat, thin. i've had these before and always do with spicey thai, but it wouldn't make a good session beer.

of course, i'd choose this over any bud, coors and most millers any day.

i think this would be very refreshing and drinkable alone on a really hot day. this would have to be ice cold, of course. (1,257 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +32.9%

11.2oz bottle. It says it was brewed 7-30-08 and good until 7-30-09. I'm skeptical, but what the hey.

Pours a crystal clear pale golden color. No head but there is some semblance of lacing on the sides.
Smells good for a lager; lighty malty, sweet and grassy. A bit of hoppiness to the scent as well.
Sweet light malt character melds very well with a surprising hop character for the style. A vegetal grassy/herbal flavor with a lemon note. A bit spicy at the end, too.
Very crisp; a definite thirst quencher. Perfect for a hot day when you want a macro lager with a bit more flavor than the average. Pairs well with, what else?, spicy Thai/Asian cuisine.
The best of the East Asian lagers. (693 characters)

From BeerAdvocate Magazine Volume II, Issue V:

Perhaps a surprise to the beer geeks, this beer is brewed with 100 percent barley malt, no adjuncts. Small beaded bubbles form a nice thick head with a little lacing on the glass. Filtered clarity shows a bright golden yellow color. The aroma comes off as pleasing with a sweet malt, grassy grain and mellow herbal hop mix. Crispness is right on target for the style, moderately sized fluffy body does flex a small creamy portion of leftover dextrins. Grainy but clean, more of a bready and feed grain flavor which is a tasty compliment to the kiss of hops. Bitterness is modest as the hops let the malt do what it does and coats the palate with a thin sheet of herbal flavor. Finishes semidry with a clean graininess.

The malt flavor and the stellar crispness does what not many lagers can, it harnesses an epic refreshing quality and maximizes drinkability. You don't have to be eating in a Thai restaurant to drink this beer; it's good enough to stand on its own. (1,015 characters)

Pale clear gold with two fingers of white head that lingers about five minutes. Few lacings.
Smell bready malt and some herbal hop aroma.
Taste big surprise is the level of the noble hopping in this beer. The malts are barely able to keep up. Light to medium mouthfeel with proper carbonation level. A lightly dry bitter finish.
Overall an excellent euro lager that has some real flavor. I was not expecting such a tasty beer from Thailand. (445 characters)

What is it with all these sushi beers! I call it a sushi beer because I feel like I should be eating sushi while enjoying the brew. Regardless, I know I have had this beer before. I just find it funny that in the tasting notes they call it “runny honey”. Just sounds funny. Okay, I’ll stop.

This beer smells wonderful. It has a lager base to it, which I assume is the malt base this beer has. It has a somewhat carbonated nose too… which is hard to explain until you smell it. Just give it a whiff and you will see. I bet this beer has a large mouthfeel… let’s see.

On a side note, I can’t get over the logo… it’s very clean, and fitting for the country this brew is produced… it is only made in Thailand. Makes you appreciate the beer that much more.

The beer is NOT what I expected on the palate. It’s big alright, and has an incredibly smooth mouthfeel. It almost explodes on the tongue as you swallow. It crawls down the back of your throat and just stays there… it’s hard to explain but this is not our typical lager. I would think this beer tastes better cold, too.

The beer has an almost sweet aftertaste. I wouldn’t call it honey… but something that an hour after a spoonful of honey would produce. It lingers on the tip of your tongue all the way to the back of your throat. I wonder what this beer would taste like on tap. It’s good… I am very impressed and for a beer that I went in thinking would be weak, and somewhat pale (hence the “Euro pale lager” style) this beer fits in.

I like it. I would TOTALLY try this beer again. Actually, I might go order another one. Bottoms up people! (1,640 characters)

Malt liquor? Tastes more like a strong German Pils with its nice and malty spine and long, bitter finish. Nose is big husky malt, stainless steel and lime leaf. If given the choice, I'd take this over nearly all mass-produced Asian Lagers no matter what the cuisine. (266 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +30.6%

Singha has a thick, white head and a clear, bubbly, yellow-golden appearance, with a decent amount of lacing left down the glass. The aroma is of lightly-roasted barley malt and bitter hops. Taste is sweet, bready, and somewhat hoppy. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Singha finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and mostly dry. Overall, this is a good beer, and I recommend giving it a try.

RJT (396 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pale straw color. White 3 finger head lasting around 2 minutes. Weak legs but high activity.

Faint aromas, but strong flavors of grains and citrus with minimal herbal spices. Rich crisp taste with some pleasant bitterness and slightly sweet.

Slick light body with prickly carbonation. Well intensified finish ending with a thick smoky grainy and lemony, slightly bitter dry mouth coat.

Overall : Surprisingly good rich flavors, great freshness while being a little dry...really impressed! Love this beer! (508 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +29.9%

The pour on this brew was a nice clear, yellow color. It had a nice 1/2 inch white head that fades to nothing after a minute or so. There is a lot of bubbles that stream up the glass, the whole time you are drinking this brew.

The aroma on this one is very basic, but nice an crisp. I can sense malts, some slight hops, grains, slight sugary aroma, along with a bit of corn.

The flavor on this one goes with the aroma pretty well. It a nice basic brew, but has a little bit extra. There is a nice grain flavor that gives this brew a bit of a malty sweetness. The brew isn't overwhelming sweet, and with the detected hops, it balances out the brew pretty well.

The mouthful is nice and smooth. Its what I expect from a lager such as this. It does has the advantage of staying light and very crisp. The wonderful amount of carbonation keeps this brew very refreshing.

The drink on this very is very high. This could be a great session beer. I am very impressed, firstly because I am not always a lager drinker. Secondly, because this is the first Thai beer I have ever had. Its a nice refreshing brew, I will most certainly find this one again. (1,148 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +29.9%

I am not a lager drinker by any means, but I am thoroughly impressed with Singha. I believe this beer to be perfect on a hot day and one that is extremely sessionable. Medium to light golden in appearance, this lager is darker than most American style lagers. Pour is as you would expect with a good 1-2 finger head. lacing is minimal but apparent. Taste is of slight peach and honey. mouth feel is light-medium, possibly due to the amount of barley used in this brew. A slight sodium-dry finish is felt at the back. All in all this has become one of my favorite lagers, which is a short list. This matches perfectly with Thai food and coconut curry. Try this one FRESH for the best results, you will not be disappointed. Cheers! (729 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +27.6%

Had tonite with Thai food. Poured a nice straw yellow color with bright white foam head. Smelled of malt and a little citrus. What a nice clean crisp taste. Full malt and grain flavor with a good amount of sweetness. Obviously matches great with Thai food or other spicy cuisine. Has a hint of a citrus taste, with a that clean malt flavor you expect from the category. VERY very drinkible. These will be good to keep in the fridge for those double-header baseball sessions at home in front of the TV. (501 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +27.6%

A friend of mine went to Thailand to train for a few months and brought me back a few bottles. What a friend!

A - Pours a crystal clear golden yellow with a nice white head that sticks around.

S - Grainy and slightly sweet. There is some hop bitterness in the nose but not overly so. Smells quite nice actually.

T - I personally felt this was one of the better 'American Lagers' I've tried to date. There is a mild sweet maltiness to the beer with a balanced hop bitterness. Tastes a little grainy but in a good way. More like a pilsner than a lager. At 6% ABV, it's deceiving - I could put down a few of these and be in trouble in no time.

M - Crisp and refreshing. If I have Thai food, I'll be sure to order this one. Refreshing and highly drinkable.

D - I could have a few no problem. I would need to try one purchased in the states to compare but I personally felt this was much better than the C grade it received. (925 characters)

Singha from Boon Rawd Brewery Co., Ltd