Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Singha | Boon Rawd Brewery Co., Ltd

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review

SinghaSingha

Boon Rawd Brewery Co., Ltd
Thailand | website

Style: Euro Pale Lager

"100% barley malt beer"

Added by UncleJimbo on 07-20-2001

Reviews: 453 | Ratings: 1,158
3.74/5  rDev +23.8%

Appearance: Looks like a typical macro pilsner, straw yellow with a foamy white head that receeds quickly. No lacing. Yawn.

Smell: Suprisingly floral aroma, quite hoppy indeed. Nice.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Wow, this is actually quite a competent pilsner. Starts out with a sweet mouthful of malt before the hops come through with a bracing bite. Crisp and rich, with a pleasantly bitter aftertaste. The ABV is well-concealed, but no doubt adds to a fairly smooth and dense mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Good; tasty, crisp and substantial--great with Thai food. While Asian beers tend to be pretty mediocre, IMHO, this is a top-notch pilsner that will hold its own with its Euro counterparts. No Urquell or Czechvar, but good stuff.

1.66/5  rDev -45%

Singha's initial dollop of sweet maltiness is immediately followed by a crisp, crackling hop character that turns sweetly grainy in the aftertaste -- or so claims the 365 days of beer calendar that I got for Christmas. I'm trying as many of the recommended beers on the day they appear and, unfortunately, January 7th was Singha. It looks and smells like a cheap lager, virtually no head and virtually no taste. It’s a bit thicker on the palate than American crap beer, but it's your basic "serve cold, swill it down, catch a buzz" beer for the masses.

2.69/5  rDev -10.9%

OK, pours pale straw, very little head forms. Just enough to cover the top of the beer, but not thicker than a bubble or two. This makes me wonder what's different about the bottle I had compared to others who speak of a huge foam.

Skunked somewhat. Smells of old grass. Malt mixed with a subtle fruity sweetness at first, but over time quite a big fruity aroma emerges. Let me say this--the aroma is quite unique.

The carbonation seems subdued, but it feels hot to the tongue. One glance at the glass reveals the carbonation exists in large amounts. This beer coats your tongue more than I'm used to.

Taste is overwhelmingly sour. A slight bitter finish (and I mean slight) that becomes more noticeable as you drink. Sour start sets the tone. An old kind of sour lemon taste (old as in off, not nostalgic). Aftertaste is very citrus, with bitter overtones. In time, the tongue feels 'spiced'. At first, the high alcohol content isn't noticeable, but after half a glass, I could feel and taste it. As it warms, the grainy character emerges in the flavour and it becomes less citrus.

This beer isn't as bad as I imagined it to be, but it's quite different from what I usually favour. I was ansty about trying this one, but I would recommend this to people as an extremely unique, if not exciting, beer.

2.93/5  rDev -3%

Singha is labeled as a "malt liquor," so i'm not entirely sure if it even qualifies as a beer. but i suppose, since it's on this website, it must be loosely related to other products of barley malts and hops. This Thai beverage pours golden and builds a very thick, frothy, white head. The bubbles on top gradually thin out to form a film or center patch of whiteness, but the head never dies away entirely. Singha smells "floral." Actually, "floral" is the word I used to describe this beer to my mother, who asked about it after the first bottle I tried. The smell is a little like a wildflower bouquet with heavy dose of lemon juice.

It starts mild and crsip with some acidic quality, but not a lot of distinct flavor. As it settles onto the tongue, Singha becomes light-bodied and smooth, but with complex sour notes. Fruit-like flavors are also discernible when the beer is fresh from the refridgerator. It finishes rather unpleasantly. Singha rolls off the tongue quickly, but its aftertaste comes back with a vengenance. The beer's leavings become a lot like cough syrup as you get to the bottom of the glass. The heavy taste sits in the center of your tongue for a long time after the bottle has been put in the recycle bin.

3.87/5  rDev +28.1%

Surprise surprise. Just when I was beginning to sour on Asian beers, along comes Singha to lend me an ounce of faith.

It is a normal looking brew. A small, creamy-headed straw-coloured beer with lots of continuous bubble action.

Citrus aromatics have been coupled with a fine sulfuric sweetness; a balance of which I am fond. The taste was a nice balance of moderate flavours that had a lengthy duration. But it is on the palate that Singha excels. Lively carbonation is added to a full and creamy texture. Very nice stuff.

Singha is a bit creamy and sweet for me to want to drink more than a half dozen at one sitting, but it is a damned nice beer and one I heartily recommend.

2.6/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I had this beer tonight at a Thai place in Arlington. Served from a 12oz bottle into a tall pilsner glass. Pale yelllow in color with a minimal head even after an aggresive pour. Smell wasn't much, kind of reminded me of Heiniken. Taste was malty sweet in the beginning then a bit skunky in the end. I honestly felt it went well with my Hot Basil Fried Rice, it just wasn't a stand out beer.

What else is their from Thailand?

2.82/5  rDev -6.6%

For export only
Fill 12 12 02

The appearance when poured into the glass was of a plain yellow color, nothing fancy, and it boosted some carbonation. The head that was formed was white in color that lasted only a moment then fell to almost nothing, except a ring on the edges. It did manage to leave some lace behind. The aromas that came from the glass were of malts, light hops, pepper spice, and some light fruit (plums). The malt and pepper seemed to stand out. The flavors started off with a pepper spice bite then the hops came over my tongue, then as it settled over my tongue I noticed a sweet malt and spicy pepper dominate the flavors as it started to slide down my throat, and finished off with a fruity flavor in the back. The aftertaste was mostly a combination of malty pine with hints of fruit (as it warmed). The body was light to medium. I did notice that when first served cold it had a kind of plastic feel in my mouth that was noticeable but diminished as it warmed. But I also noticed that it became slightly bitter as it became too warm. Over all I would say that it was not a bad beer to drink. I rather liked the spiciness appeal it had to it. I would have liked to try one that was a little fresher, and if get a chance to I will do so.

3.2/5  rDev +6%

This is one of those beers that, judged on its own, would not fare terribly well. But taken in context with the ethnic cuisine to which it is particularly well-suited, the beer gains a notch or two. Pale straw, some vague sweet grain in the aroma. Very smooth, with a slightly astringent sweetness. Not bad, but pretty pedestrian. Team it up with some potent Thai spice, however, and the beer kicks into gear as an ideal salve to sooth a raw tongue. Mutes the fire a bit, and then gets out of the way.

1.49/5  rDev -50.7%

Singha is one of the most unpleasant beers that I've tried within recent memory. I was expecting this to be a rather bland, lifeless, but harmless pale lager type of beer with maybe a slight alcohol kick from the 6% abv. This beer turned out to be much more akin to an American malt liquor, and a most foul one at that.

Singha pours a decent yellowish gold color with a decent foamy white head that lasts for under 30 seconds. The aroma however was one of the most putrid I could ever recall for a beer. To start off, it smells like the beer was bottled with the scent gland of a skunk. Altough arriving in a brown bottle, the smell was beyond skunk, and also included some nasty adjunct smells and alcohol smell. Call me crazy, but it smelled like it could have had B.O. in there too. Quite repulsive, and it nearly gave me a headache by just smelling it. The mouthfeel was thin and fizzy. The flavor is quite unpleasant as well. Some of the skunky flavor carries over, but the flavor contains an odd chemical taste that feels like it is burning my tongue somewhat. I'll use the figurative "battery acid" metaphor here literally. There are some light, cheap adjunct flavors underneath that to a small extent, but the alcohol flavor is also quite dominant. The finish is unpleasantly bitter. The aftertaste carries a rather astringent alcohol flavor, and it finishes off with some alcoholic warmth.

I would lump this in with Natty Ice and Elephant as amongst some of the most foul beer I've tried. From other reviews, it looks like that this could be a decent beer at times. I do not have anything good to say about this beer though.

2.21/5  rDev -26.8%

One I picked up while on an “Asian beers” kick this week. Poured from the 12oz. bottle depicted, Singha has a clear straw color and has a fizzy white head that quickly settles down to a ring. The smell was a corn/malt mix that came off slightly sour. Faint floral citrus scent also. The taste was a grainy malt flavor that tried valiantly to mask a lightly sour taste lurking around underneath. There was a mild hoppiness to the finish but the sourness was rather distracting. The feel was on the medium side of light-bodied, crisp, and having a sour tanginess.
Overall, Singha is still pretty close to what I remember from my stops in Thailand. Back then I could hardly choke it down and would opt for nearly anything else. I still wouldn’t get this unless approaching “last resort” status.

3.08/5  rDev +2%

poured with a very energenic head and settled to small white head, very pale straw-yellow color. some hint of sweetness in the aroma (being from malt or corn I can't tell) followed by a slight spicy hoppiness. the corny/malty sweet taste is there again followed by more hop character than I was expecting and a good dose of co2. all in all this is a very good compnion with a spicy thai food, the residual sweetness and co2 clears the palate and some of the heat.

3.23/5  rDev +7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. stubby bottle served chilled in some sort of water glass or something.

Appearance: Clear golden yellow color with a short lived white head. Not much in the way of head retention. A few bubbles drift upward.

Smell: Pale malt aroma with a hint of banana. Not much of a sniffer.

Taste: Pale malt sweetness with some faint peach and ginger aftertastes (I ain't kiddin'). Slightly sour.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and clean. Very light bodied and seemingly well carbonated.

Drinkability: I wasn't prepared to like this as much as I did. I'm not saying it's world class, but I'll definitely have it with Thai food when eating out. Easily drinkable and goes quite well with the myriad flavors of Thai cuisine.

3.21/5  rDev +6.3%

12 oz brown short bottle, capped. Fill date on back label. (042203).

This pilsner poured a fizzy, yellow color with creamy, tall, white foam that left good lace on the glass. The smell was malty with some grain and a faint hint of sulfur. The taste was tangy, malty, with some grain, and with a sourness in the finish. As the beer warmed there was a light sweetness (corn?). The mouthfeel was crisp and tangy with some sourness in the finish. It was relatively clean, with medium-light body and good carbonation. This was an easy drinking, lighter pilsner, and was well suited to compliment spicy food very nicely.

3.35/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a clear rich gold with a fine, tight white head that sits at a solid 1/4" and stays.

Nose is fresh bready malt supported by some earthy/flowery hop notes and a touch of fruity sweetness.

On the heavier side of midweight on the palate. Richly malty, with a good bit of residual sweetness. Hop flavor is minor, but there is a touch of bitterness, and a little acidic sharpness to support the malt. Finish is decent. Carbonation is a bit low, and makes the beer a bit tiring to drink.

This is a beer that has its ups and downs. When its fresh and not abused, as my samples were yesterday, it is very fine indeed for drinking with spicy Thai cuisine. In that context, both the sweetness and richness work well. I can't really imagine drinking this on its own however.

2.9/5  rDev -4%

The beer pours a slightly hazy golden yellow, topped with a moderate fluffy white head. Some quickly rising bubbles feed the head.
Aroma is sweetly malty, with the hops not quite balanced, and lacking the spiciness I was expecting for a pilsner. More of a helles or export style, I think. Fairly clean, with a bit of grainy underlying sweetness.
Flavor is malty, with a little toasted malt presence. Definite pilsner malt, fairly clean, with a slight muddiness. Some apparent yeast starting in the middle, with a mildly herbal noble hop finish. Very mild peppery flavor. Medium bodied, with a pleasant active carbonation.
Not bad overall. Went well with pizza.

2.55/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Clear pale golden yellow with just a thin head that quickly settles to a film. Lots of big rough bubbles working their way up through the glass. No lace.

Smells hoppy and peppery, slightly skunky on opening. Give it a swirl and dunk your nose in to catch the metal. Tastes sweet, light and slightly malty with a lingering bitter hop finish. Some grass in there, too. Nice mouth feel, good and crisp without being overly sharp.

Not magnifient, but good enough to share with your friends without hurting anyone. Don't know if I could drink a ton of these and stand the sweetness.

2.89/5  rDev -4.3%

I wish Logan had some good Thai food to try this with (maybe I should learn to cook my own). Clear yellow with a little fizzy white head--not a great looker (could pass for Bud). It does have a smell though--some malts, but mostly pungeant, resiny hops and a bit of alcohol. Taste is surprisingly strong flavored honey malts with a modest, bitter finish. Is there corn in here, I can't tell. Definitely more flavorful than most macro lagers. I think I'll wait until I visit Thailand before I buy this again.

3.1/5  rDev +2.6%

First time I had this was during one night in Bangkok with some friends listening to some bad Karaoke in a hotel bar. Multiple pitchers were shared. Now to try this again... Pale yellow in color with a foamy white head. Smells kind of sweet, some hops and grains in there as well. Has a hoppy metallic flavor, some mellow grains. No distinct flavors here but has a very clean taste. Quite drinkable and the burps really sting the nose. I could have used ten of these at Teton Thai. Now if only I was back in Thailand...

2.88/5  rDev -4.6%

This is one of those beers that everyone can enjoy, meaning some guy who wants to drink to get drunk can use this as a session, and the beer lover won't get too offended at it's taste. The nice lacy head dies too fast, and there isn't really much of a faint hop smell. Very sweet, which really compliments Asian style cooking.

1.53/5  rDev -49.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer pours a very pale clear yellow, with little aroma, mostly sweet grain. Very light taste and high carbonation, starts very sweet, rounds off grassy, and finishes with a little hops, dry and crisp.

Not something I enjoy at all, the double tapered bottle was more interesting then the sweet but bland beer.

3.57/5  rDev +18.2%

I've had this beer for a while and like it more and less at times. I might update this later.

The somewhat uniquely shaped 12oz bottle has a cool label. The beer pours a nearly perfectly clear golden color with a fair amount of head and an abundant CO2 supply beneath. The smell is malty and hints of mild bitterness. The taste is sweet and bready with an almost dusty dry aftertaste. Hops aren't apparent, but the nice crispness suggests they're in there. This beer is very good with a wide variety of foods and as an after work thirst quencher.

3.58/5  rDev +18.5%

As with most Asian beer there is that sweetness, it is not out of balance by any means but that sweetness is there. Super crisp and very refreshing. The mild hop bitterness is set for balanced and the graininess is not harsh at all.

All in all this is a great brew to pair with Spicy BBQ, spicy Tai cuisine would be the obvious pick.

1.56/5  rDev -48.3%

12 oz bottle. Poured a golden yellow, with a fair head that quickly receded. Immediatly after pouring came the aroma of skunkiness. Even in a brown bottle. Very little carbonation, it seems like it all disappeared in the head. Taste is flat and bland, with just a trace of hops bite. Skunkiness is still there. Reminds me of alot of macros just flatter.

1.22/5  rDev -59.6%

Yuck is my first impression of this brew. It poured a medium white head of mostly fine bubbles. The body is yellow and there was carbonation observed. There was next to no lacing on the sides of my glass. The only description that I can give for the aroma is "yucky".

1.4/5  rDev -53.6%

This brew pours a medium head of fine to medium sized bubbles and a carbonated weak pee yellow body. Its aroma is very strong and replusive. It barely tastes better than it looks. Its flavor is fizzy skunky thin and slightly hopped. Definately a brew to finish and go on to the next one.

Singha from Boon Rawd Brewery Co., Ltd