La Bête Des Vosges - Brasserie Artisanale des Vosges

La Bête Des VosgesLa Bête Des Vosges

Brasserie Artisanale des Vosges
France

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: mattmaples on 08-20-2003)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Muddybuddy

Oregon

3.38/5  rDev +3.7%

I picked this bottle up today in order to expand my horizons and try somthing not only new to me, but from out of the country as well. There is no date on the bottle and no clue to its age.

Appearance: Light amber that would have been translucent, but I poured about a third of the yeast remaining in the bottle in on purpose. It has a very light head that mostly dissipates quickly, but leaves a dense island in the middle of my pint.

Smell: Smells highly of banana and vanilla. There is no hops aroma present and very little malt aroma present.

Taste: There is a distinct malty flavor to this beer which is accented by some slight alcohol warming. The bananas that were present in the aroma make their way to the taste as well as possibly an "oaky" taste that isn't entirely unpleasant. There is a little "roasty" flavor that comes through on the end of the taste that makes this a more robust flavor than I would have guessed from the aroma.

Mouthfeel: Thick and slick, with restrained carbonation.

Drinkability: This is, for me, only a one/per night type of beer. I don't think two of these would hold up well for me.

**My French is rusty. Can anyone tell me what the name is, translated to English? I can get "The Beast of the ___" and that's it. Thanks in advance!**

12-17-2005 01:48:06 | More by Muddybuddy
silenius

3.18/5  rDev -2.5%

I never know what to expect when I find a beer from a smaller Eurpoean brewery that I've never sampled. Could it have been sitting on the shelf for years? There is no date on the label, and is that dust I see on the bottle? Nope. Or at least it is a lot less that some of the other bottles I see around it. That's about the only way I know to judge how long a bottle has been sitting around if it is not something that would turn over quickly. Glad to say that this bottle doesn't appear to be too old.

Pours a foggy tea-brown amber with an active head that doesn't do much lacing.

Smell is a bit complex with sweet malts, honey, candy and nutty smells mixed with some spicing that kind of reminds me of apple pie - or a least a little apple tart. Pretty good.

Taste confirms the nose with sweet syrup like flavors with a nutty drying and dark spice to cut the cloying flavor. It isn't too sweet, but it is verging on it. Aftertaste is more like a coke than a beer.

Mouthfeel is on the slick side with a general lack of carbonation - kind of like a slighly flat cola.

The more I drink, the less I like it.

12-02-2005 01:38:37 | More by silenius
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.45/5  rDev +5.8%

Dark orange with a small storm of particulates. The head is small (even after a semi-vigorous pour), is pale golden beige and is soft and nearly featureless. It's currently sitting at a fat one finger with an abbreviated collar of lace as the only glass coverage.

Even with repeated sniffs, the characteristics of the nose aren't obvious. It's sweet and fruity (apples? peaches? apricots?) with a significant alcohol presence; like fruit brandy, or more accurately, fruit liqueur. There's a hint of spice as well, but no more than that.

The flavor is... different. La Bete Des Vosges doesn't taste much like a BSPA, but then I'm always open to interesting variations on the theme as long as they're still good. The jury's still out on whether this one qualifies as good. Sweet, fruity and alcoholic is the Cliff's Notes version of the flavor profile. Unfortunately, the various elements don't fit together as tightly as I'd like. The seams are definitely showing.

This is another one of those beers that lacks a center. The various flavors go this way and that, in and out of focus, never really making a commitment. The finish is marginally better because it's more aggressively fruity. Although the incompletely masked alcohol is consistent with the 'S' in BSPA, I prefer the power of this style to be due to flavor rather than arrogant booziness.

Like the French themselves, I have a hard time figuring out French beer. It isn't often that I score drinkability lower than taste. I did so in this case because this offering is more interesting and odd than it is pleasurable. I love the big orange dog on the label, the exact color of the beer by the way, but he's more 'La Batard Des Vosges' (mutt of the Vosges) than 'La Bete Des Vosges' (beast of the Vosges).

07-19-2005 15:15:33 | More by BuckeyeNation
RoyalT

2.65/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Appearance – Where’s the head? This is flatter than a pancake. I almost threw out my elbow trying to work some foam up in the glass. The body is a dingy brown. Not pretty.

Smell – This one has a nice, fruity bouquet. I can pick up a lot of summer fruits like peaches, watermelon, star fruit, and a few others. There’s some light cinnamon spicing in there and a bit of alcohol. I can’t pick up much of a malt base and the hops are almost AWOL but otherwise this is a pleasing nose.

Taste – The fruits from the nose make their way to the taste, but the lack of a good backbone and absence of hops disappoints.

Mouthfeel – Way too flat for a BSPA and barely medium-bodied. It seems by reading a few other reviews that this is common and not a “bad bottle” situation, otherwise I wouldn’t post the review.

Drinkability – This was tough to drink, but the nice fruits and complimentary alcohol kept things going. I hate to be the lowball here but I’ve had first time homebrew efforts at this style that were better.

07-12-2005 01:57:01 | More by RoyalT
tjd25

France

3.63/5  rDev +11.3%

I had to fight ot get head, but it proved to be dense and creamy, in spite of being thin. The body is of a nice amber color. The smell shows very nice notes of red fruits with a wooden character. Sweet, yeasry, and slightly citric. The taste is overpoweringly of yeast, raisins and wood, with some subtle notes of chocolate and deep, thick and almost chewy notes of hops. You feel the 8% abv, quite warming. Quite winy, almost mouth puckering. The mouthfeel is quite round, but not overly smooth, just ok. Interesting, but you can’t have too many of these, the Beast of the Vosges will kill you. This cheesy comment was written to try to equal the cheesiness of this beer’s name. Sorry.

08-15-2004 22:42:01 | More by tjd25
ADR

3.65/5  rDev +12%

Very hazy pale brown, kind of dull color. Head is medium-bubbled and light in color. Necklace-like lacing on the glass. Aroma is all malt, caramel with some maple syrup sense. Carbonation is on the lower side, hops are minimal, malts are showcased by the set-up. Honeyish, some sense of cashew nuttiness, slight yeast vibrancy. Bitter comes on slighlty near the end, a trace of an alcoholic sense catches up on further sips. Decent brew, a little thick for quaffability, but no real flavor problems to my tongue...

Source: Liquid Solutions

12-09-2003 16:20:24 | More by ADR
mattmaples

Oregon

4.3/5  rDev +31.9%

The Beast of Vosges is a French amber that has a wonderful aroma and flavor. It pours a light amber / brown. The big aroma is of dark cherries and malt. The flavor is malty smooth with just a hint of flowery hop at the end. Although when you think of France you think of wine, they do make some mighty fine beer. For example check Yeti and belzibuth.

08-20-2003 00:29:53 | More by mattmaples