Jobu - Capital Brewery

JobuJobu

Capital Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Brown Ale |  ABV ?

Beer added by: BrownAleMale on 02-06-2014

to view more.
Ratings: 38 | Reviews: 5
Reviews by Tafyob41:
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Poured into a shaker pint.

A: Poured like a soda. A lighter Dr. Pepper brown with a fast fading head and no appreciable lacing to speak of. Big chunky bubbles.

S: Smell was outstanding. Toffey, nutty and rum notes all over the aroma. I was impressed by the smell and very hopeful for a great flavor from this beer.

T: Sour! I was taken aback because I didn't expect any sour notes from the beer. Definite Acetic acid taste from overuse of adjuncts (corn sugar) or liquid extract. You want to taste the rum and the wood from the barrels but its just overwhelmed by sour. Some nutty, bready gets through from classic malts but that's about it. Disappointed.

M: Medium bodied with huge chunky bubbles. Drinkable but not as smooth and creamy as it could be. Probably force carbonated and would've perhaps been better bottle conditioned or brewed with cream ale yeast.

O: Definitely drinks more like a Kentucky Common than a traditional brown ale. It would've completely fit the Kentucky Common style if it had a creamier head. Being as it wasn't billed as such, I have to give this one a fail.

22 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. The local beer store is still holding down bottles of this, so I thought I'd give it a go. My first big bottle from Capital Brewery; this one a 'rum barrel-aged brown ale'. 8.50% abv according to the label. Aged for six months in Jamaican rum barrels.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A - It pours a hazy caramel / ruby colored body with a half finger of tan head that falls to a ring quickly. Leaves behind scattered patchy lacing. Some fine sediment visible when held to the light. Looks very nice.

S - Initial booziness gives way to a slight acetic vinegary tartness, but pleasant in my opinion. Lightly tart & musty smelling. Notes of wood, oak, vanilla, and light band-aid. I can definitely see where the tropical rum notes have taken effect here.

T - An initial light sour / tartness hits you, but it subsides to waves of caramel, vanilla, wood, green apples, & dried earthy fruitiness. The tart is very enjoyable, in my opinion, and integrates well with the rest of the flavors.

M - The feel is smooth, creamy, & tart. Lingering notes of vanilla and tart fruitiness. Lightly coarse carbonation, but very easy-drinking for the 8.50% abv.

Overall, I'd certainly say that the rum barrel-aging has done it's thing - for good or for ill. I am of the opinion that it is rather enjoyable, and I am liking this beer quite a lot. Certainly a unique and different beer experience, which is always something I am on the look out for. While perhaps not the most pristine example of a barrel aged brown ale, I'd recommend this one. Keep on with more experimentation like this, Capital Brewery.

Capital Brewery Jobu -----4/5.

3.19/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

poured 22oz bottle into chalice.

A - Very dark gorgeous ruby/brown with a thin off white head. No lacing.

S - Whoa, I can smell the rum and alcohol up front. Hard to find the malty brown ale beneath. Sugar, subtle banana taffy, and maybe a hint of coconut.

T - A bit harsh with overpowering alcohol and rum. I wanted to taste the smooth malty brown with some nuttiness, but it is hard to find. Odd aftertaste.

M - Light bodied with okay carbonation and kinda rough. Not very smooth.

O - Well, this beer is okay, not what I hoped it would be. I think the base beer needs some work or the rum barrels ruined it. It's not bad, but it could be so much better. I was intrigued since I really enjoy brown ales and there are few that are aged barrels. I'd skip this one.

3.47/5  rDev +3%

From notes on 4/30/14

Dark body with minimal head. Very grainy bread like aroma. Some alcohol smell. Sour taste. Was not expecting that. Some alcohol taste. Minimal flavor imparted by the barrel. It's ok.

4.54/5  rDev +34.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

The rum scent is up front. It's sour, so most likely you'll love or hate it on that alone. You get a lot of the barrel in the flavor. Very easy to drink at 8.5%.

to view more.