Island Wheat - Capital Brewery

Island WheatIsland Wheat

Capital Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: DaPeculierDane on 09-06-2005)
4.75/5  rDev +40.1%

Bosco, Dec 28, 2012

tyleeis, Apr 16, 2014

ScrimshawFan, Nov 30, 2011

Nofear048, Dec 19, 2011

jjhardy12, Jun 06, 2014

EddieJoe, Jul 07, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +30.7%

A= pours an almost white color. It's a really really pale yellow that is hazy as hell. The head is a nice two finger high with big bubbles in it. Soapy looking almost with the bubbles on it. The head falls a little fast for a wheat but the lacing is great on this one.

S= Very wheaty. A nice wheat smell. A little citrus in it which is typical from most wheats but this one has a strong wheat smell.

T= Again strong wheat taste to it. Really nice. When I look for a wheat beer this is sort of what I want. A little citrus taste to it but nothing artificial at all. The flavors are very spot on for a wheat in my opinion. A lot of wheat beers these days are hopped up but this one lets the wheat take the front seat and just tastes good.

M= Smooth and crisp. I'll be drinking a lot of this during the summer. This is a refreshing beer. I'm impressed.

D= Great. This beer didn't let me down at all. I'm not a real big fan of the brewery at all but this beer is really good. Smooth and crisp. Nice wheat forward beer with great flavors and still lets the wheat take the front seat. Awesome job. I'll but this again any day I got a cravin for a wheat.

jjanega08, Mar 01, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16 oz pint at a local Madison bar.

A: The beer poured a very nice cloudy, light golden-yellow with fluffy white head at the top. Only downside, the head does go away faster than expected.

S: The aroma is that of sun grown wheat field, some citrus (lemon and slight orange), with a hint of hops.

T: I mainly get wheat over- and under-tones. I believe the subtlety in this beer is its complexity. It does not over power with citrus or grain, everything seems quite well balanced. I like that every time I drink this beer I get a very consistent wheat taste.

M: Very crisp and clean. About a medium-bodied beer, carbonation was just right.

O: I really like this beer. I think this was a great addition to Capital's repertoire. It goes down smooth and is refreshing. It's not necessarily going to blow the doors off of anyone, but it is very consistent and always been good to me. Grab one on a hot summer day and enjoy!

TX-Badger, Jun 14, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +25.4%

Straight out of the fridge. Poured form the bottle into my favorite glass. Poured surprisingly clear for a wheat, so I looked in the bottle and all the sediment was stuck to the bottom of the bottle. Medium yellow in color with thin white head. Very little head retention. Slight malty aroma, but I didn't really detect anything else. Medium/light body. Well balanced slight taste of hops and malt with a slight Citrus taste on the finish. I wonder if there may have been a more yeasty taste if I'd agitated at the finish of the pour to get the sediment into the beer? VERY drinkable beer. Alcohol not very detectable.

BeerCheese, Jan 25, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +25.4%

yankinwis, Feb 17, 2013
4.22/5  rDev +24.5%

One of my favorites. Good old wisconsin beer, great look, taste and drinkablility.
A - Poured out orange/bronze color. Medium Head, doesn't vanish quickly.
S - Tasty. A little yeasty with hints of sweet (almost bananna) potent aroma.
T - Very good. Goes down easy, good summer beer.
M - Not as "grainy" as other wheat beers. Best served extra cold.
D - Like other wheat beers this one is refreshing. Good with almost any food, not quite a pungent aftertaste as some.

This beer ranks about 5 on my top 10. Almost everyone I know that has tried it has liked it even though most are caught up in the "Budlite" crapshoot.

Beerman420, Mar 12, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +20.9%

Hopefully this bottle isn't too old to give this a fair shot.
Light malty sweet aroma with mild wheat in the background, but also a surprising Am. lager quality in the touch of sourness. Seems like some German hops in the fold too (I could be wrong, but is seems hold that quality).
Pours attractively with nice white head that full, semi-dense with some creaminess. Clear and gold with lots of rising bubbles (Sam Adams glass).
Light and soft malt flavors of both light barley and soft wheat. Really nice mouthfeel of soft creaminess and a perfect amount of carbonation enhancing the best qualities of this beer. Mild sourness (again like and Am. lager) and a really quick drink with very slight dryness/bitterness lingering for an incredibly short time.
Drinkability is very high on this. Goes down easily and flavorfully. Great with food (like my salad). Nicely done. Seems best when cold.

garymuchow, Oct 31, 2008

Capital's Island Wheat delivers the typical cloudy yellow-orange body and frothy bright white head that you'd expect. The head retention is very good, and it leaves rings of lace about the glass with each sip.

The nose is wheaty and yeasty with a delicate fruitiness.

Wheatish malt makes up the largest cut of the flavor, with it's delicate fruitiness (berries, very slight lemon) rounding it out. A mild yeasty tartness appears midway, cutting through the gently sweet and grainy malt, leading to a dry finish. The maltiness kind of sticks in the mouth a bit, but it's nice, and some low-key hops that weren't able to make their way through in the mouth come out to play. It's mildly bitter, allowing it to finish dry without lingering.

Very well done! An excellent American wheat that has at least some roots in the Bavarian style.

NeroFiddled, Jan 20, 2007

Wisconsin....Wisconsin....where for art tho Wisconsin!!! Oh...a lil' Capital Brewing after a hard fought hockey game...and that's what I'm talking about!!!! This beer is cloudy yellow with decent head. The hints of lemon/citrus hit the nose nicely. The taste is very good...nice wheat balanced with lemon/citrus. The mouthfeel is easy and I could mown the lawn all day with this beer! ENJOY!

WoodBrew, Mar 27, 2011

Giesch, Feb 04, 2014

benholmen, Nov 23, 2011

BrewCityJeff, Jan 31, 2012

Capital in a CAN! Suh-wheat! The CANQuest (TM) CANtinues to receive new and unheard of CANs from hither and yon and I am appreciative to all who are involved in this madness.

From the CAN: "Refreshingly Different"; "Craft-Brewed by Capital Brewery Co., Inc., Middleton, WI Made with wheat from Washington Island, Door County, WI"

F**k it. I want to relocate to the Great Lakes region of the midwest and the sooner the better. I am deeply tired of the east coast and only time and money stand in my way! And now for a review -

Directly after the Crack & Glug, I felt as though I were looking at lemon meringue pie in a glass! The liquid was a hazy lemon-yellow and the finger-and-a-half of foam was thick and bone-white! Beautiful. Nose had a peppery tang to it and suddenly my mouth was watering. Mouthfeel was medium and there were flavors of lemon and pepper on the tongue, but both in mild forms. Refreshing, indeed! I spent the day in a humid classroom at the end of the hall because one (or more) of my jagov colleagues opened their window(s), defeating the central A/C. What I wouldn't have given for one of these beers out of a cooler at lunchtime. Sadly, as a high school English teacher, beer is frowned upon in the building. I had to wait until I got home, but it was worth the wait. I would not want a steady diet of Island Wheat, but a couple/few on a humid day would really cure what ales me.

woodychandler, Sep 29, 2010