Island Wheat - Capital Brewery

Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: DaPeculierDane on 09-06-2005

4.38/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16 oz pint at a local Madison bar.

A: The beer poured a very nice cloudy, light golden-yellow with fluffy white head at the top. Only downside, the head does go away faster than expected.

S: The aroma is that of sun grown wheat field, some citrus (lemon and slight orange), with a hint of hops.

T: I mainly get wheat over- and under-tones. I believe the subtlety in this beer is its complexity. It does not over power with citrus or grain, everything seems quite well balanced. I like that every time I drink this beer I get a very consistent wheat taste.

M: Very crisp and clean. About a medium-bodied beer, carbonation was just right.

O: I really like this beer. I think this was a great addition to Capital's repertoire. It goes down smooth and is refreshing. It's not necessarily going to blow the doors off of anyone, but it is very consistent and always been good to me. Grab one on a hot summer day and enjoy!

4.37/5  rDev +27.8%

A= pours an almost white color. It's a really really pale yellow that is hazy as hell. The head is a nice two finger high with big bubbles in it. Soapy looking almost with the bubbles on it. The head falls a little fast for a wheat but the lacing is great on this one.

S= Very wheaty. A nice wheat smell. A little citrus in it which is typical from most wheats but this one has a strong wheat smell.

T= Again strong wheat taste to it. Really nice. When I look for a wheat beer this is sort of what I want. A little citrus taste to it but nothing artificial at all. The flavors are very spot on for a wheat in my opinion. A lot of wheat beers these days are hopped up but this one lets the wheat take the front seat and just tastes good.

M= Smooth and crisp. I'll be drinking a lot of this during the summer. This is a refreshing beer. I'm impressed.

D= Great. This beer didn't let me down at all. I'm not a real big fan of the brewery at all but this beer is really good. Smooth and crisp. Nice wheat forward beer with great flavors and still lets the wheat take the front seat. Awesome job. I'll but this again any day I got a cravin for a wheat.

4.2/5  rDev +22.8%

One of my favorites. Good old wisconsin beer, great look, taste and drinkablility.
A - Poured out orange/bronze color. Medium Head, doesn't vanish quickly.
S - Tasty. A little yeasty with hints of sweet (almost bananna) potent aroma.
T - Very good. Goes down easy, good summer beer.
M - Not as "grainy" as other wheat beers. Best served extra cold.
D - Like other wheat beers this one is refreshing. Good with almost any food, not quite a pungent aftertaste as some.

This beer ranks about 5 on my top 10. Almost everyone I know that has tried it has liked it even though most are caught up in the "Budlite" crapshoot.

4.18/5  rDev +22.2%

Straight out of the fridge. Poured form the bottle into my favorite glass. Poured surprisingly clear for a wheat, so I looked in the bottle and all the sediment was stuck to the bottom of the bottle. Medium yellow in color with thin white head. Very little head retention. Slight malty aroma, but I didn't really detect anything else. Medium/light body. Well balanced slight taste of hops and malt with a slight Citrus taste on the finish. I wonder if there may have been a more yeasty taste if I'd agitated at the finish of the pour to get the sediment into the beer? VERY drinkable beer. Alcohol not very detectable.

4.1/5  rDev +19.9%

Hopefully this bottle isn't too old to give this a fair shot.
Light malty sweet aroma with mild wheat in the background, but also a surprising Am. lager quality in the touch of sourness. Seems like some German hops in the fold too (I could be wrong, but is seems hold that quality).
Pours attractively with nice white head that full, semi-dense with some creaminess. Clear and gold with lots of rising bubbles (Sam Adams glass).
Light and soft malt flavors of both light barley and soft wheat. Really nice mouthfeel of soft creaminess and a perfect amount of carbonation enhancing the best qualities of this beer. Mild sourness (again like and Am. lager) and a really quick drink with very slight dryness/bitterness lingering for an incredibly short time.
Drinkability is very high on this. Goes down easily and flavorfully. Great with food (like my salad). Nicely done. Seems best when cold.

4.01/5  rDev +17.3%

Capital in a CAN! Suh-wheat! The CANQuest (TM) CANtinues to receive new and unheard of CANs from hither and yon and I am appreciative to all who are involved in this madness.

From the CAN: "Refreshingly Different"; "Craft-Brewed by Capital Brewery Co., Inc., Middleton, WI Made with wheat from Washington Island, Door County, WI"

F**k it. I want to relocate to the Great Lakes region of the midwest and the sooner the better. I am deeply tired of the east coast and only time and money stand in my way! And now for a review -

Directly after the Crack & Glug, I felt as though I were looking at lemon meringue pie in a glass! The liquid was a hazy lemon-yellow and the finger-and-a-half of foam was thick and bone-white! Beautiful. Nose had a peppery tang to it and suddenly my mouth was watering. Mouthfeel was medium and there were flavors of lemon and pepper on the tongue, but both in mild forms. Refreshing, indeed! I spent the day in a humid classroom at the end of the hall because one (or more) of my jagov colleagues opened their window(s), defeating the central A/C. What I wouldn't have given for one of these beers out of a cooler at lunchtime. Sadly, as a high school English teacher, beer is frowned upon in the building. I had to wait until I got home, but it was worth the wait. I would not want a steady diet of Island Wheat, but a couple/few on a humid day would really cure what ales me.

Capital's Island Wheat delivers the typical cloudy yellow-orange body and frothy bright white head that you'd expect. The head retention is very good, and it leaves rings of lace about the glass with each sip.

The nose is wheaty and yeasty with a delicate fruitiness.

Wheatish malt makes up the largest cut of the flavor, with it's delicate fruitiness (berries, very slight lemon) rounding it out. A mild yeasty tartness appears midway, cutting through the gently sweet and grainy malt, leading to a dry finish. The maltiness kind of sticks in the mouth a bit, but it's nice, and some low-key hops that weren't able to make their way through in the mouth come out to play. It's mildly bitter, allowing it to finish dry without lingering.

Very well done! An excellent American wheat that has at least some roots in the Bavarian style.

Wisconsin....Wisconsin....where for art tho Wisconsin!!! Oh...a lil' Capital Brewing after a hard fought hockey game...and that's what I'm talking about!!!! This beer is cloudy yellow with decent head. The hints of lemon/citrus hit the nose nicely. The taste is very good...nice wheat balanced with lemon/citrus. The mouthfeel is easy and I could mown the lawn all day with this beer! ENJOY!

3.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Blue Moon, Boulevard Pale Wheat, 312: unexceptional, uninspired, but indubitably drinkable and not without their charms. Also, they sell like mad. You can't blame Capital for throwing their hat into the ring.

Pours hazy yellow with a nice head. Pretty, but unexceptional. Smells more hefe-y than your typical pale wheat, decent hints of banana and pepper from a surprising yeast profile. A good blend between bitter yeast and hops and sweet wheatmalt.

This certainly isn't the Spotted Cow-killer they were hoping it would be, but it's a welcome alternative to the more unadventurous (and commercially viable) pale wheats out there.

3.95/5  rDev +15.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a weizen glass. pours a hazy straw color with a few fingers of tight white head. the head dissipates into moderate lacings and a soapy ring around the brew.

smells sweet overall, with wheat malt, pale malts, citrus, and a touch of grassy hops. not too much here, just clean and honest; blends together into a solid aroma.

taste is sweet, with a touch of citrus and pale malts. very restrained and tight on the palate. not much here either, just a solid mix of flavors. ale yeast is slightly descernable, alongside a hint of mild hops on the fiinsh.

aftertaste is very light, just citrus and pale malts.

mouthfeel is clean and slick. medium-light bodied.

drinkability is great. clean flavors and a light character make this one very refreshing.

3.94/5  rDev +15.2%

I first sampled this on draft in Washington Island, Wisconsin, the island for which the beer is named. All the wheat used in the brewing grown organically on the island. Kind of an awesome thing since it helps a pretty remote rural community to maintain its agricultural industry. Every place we went on the island (I think there are only four bars anyway) had it on tap, and I drank many pints.

Jump forward a year or so, I'm at Sahar Liquors in Chicago on the way to a party, and six pack bottles are available! I pick it up, even though the price is steep ($11+tax). Still good but not as good as I remember.

Last weekend in Wisconsin I stopped at my favorite beer store to marvel at low low Wisconsin prices. A 12-pack of bottles is $14, but I am inexplicably drawn to beer in cans...blame my dad, I guess. So I see this in cans and I'm like, "There is no way I can't buy that."

I bring it home, crack one open, and I think I like it better from a can than a bottle. Very mild, very drinkable. I could probably put a few of these away in a sitting if it was better available down here.

3.92/5  rDev +14.6%

Appearance - Clear medium yellow. Short white foamy head with some staying power.

Smell - Mild sweet maltiness. Kind of bready. Good for style.

Taste - Begins with a very sweet surge. Quickly fades into a lingering grain flavor. Quite distinct. Hops not real noticable.

Mouthfeel - Light and well carbonated. Crisp.

Drinkability - This is one of my go-to beers, particularly in the summer. Light and refreshing and local. Well made beer from a high quality producer.

3.92/5  rDev +14.6%

Pours an interesting very pale, golden-straw color, slightly cloudy, and a thin white head with good retention. Smells like a lighter strain of wheat and northern yeast, backed by a mild orange citrus and a tiny bit of the characteristic banana you find in wheat ales. Overall the nose is very fresh and appealing. First taste is mellow yeast and wheat, with the citrus gently blended, and a tiny bit of hopping the round it out. The citrus and yeast linger into the aftertaste. Light and refreshing to a high degree, but still medium in body and full-flavored, it's easy to see why this is one of Capital's key brews.

3.9/5  rDev +14%

I enjoyed the Island Wheat beer from Capital Brewery. It is a light wheat beer, comparable to something like Boulevard Wheat. It is a light shade of gold, almost yellow. You can detect a bit of citrus in the smell and taste. My girlfriend really liked this beer, so I would say the drinkability is very high as well. This beer won't blow your mind, but it is definitely worth the try.

3.88/5  rDev +13.5%

This wheat ale pours a clear light golden body with a quickly dissipating white head. There is a strong dry wheat aroma from the local wheat. Your first taste is a big toasty wheat nose and a good amount of carbonation to support the dry after taste. There is no loss in the zip department, with a some pepper and lemon zest. There is a lot going on here and the flavor profile does a good job of highlighting the locally grown wheat. The other flavors support and balance out the wheat. Light, refreshing bit of terior, but with wheat instead of hops. Try with a lawn chair at the end of a hot day or a basic freshly grilled fish taco.

3.88/5  rDev +13.5%

A - Started out light and golden but I like to take the last 1/3 of my wheat beers swirl them and add it to my pint glass. So now its a real murky yellow. Had a pretty nice head. It didn't stick around to long but there was about a 1/8 inch that held on.
S- Can smell wheat, yeast and a little citrus maybe lemon.
T - Pretty good. Tasted pretty much how it smelled to me.
M - light and creamy with decent carbonation.
D - I think this is a great session beer. I have had it in cans while on a river trip. Its good stuff.

3.88/5  rDev +13.5%

This is my new favorite beer from Capital Brewery. Beer resembles a hefe weiss in appearance and aroma, but does not have the spiciness of that particular style of beer. Nonetheless this beer is a great session beer and one that I will enjoy in the upcoming summer months. Taste was a refereshing lighter beer that reminds me of a light white bread/angel food type cake. Give this beer a try.

3.83/5  rDev +12%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams "Perfect Pint" glass.

Appearance: Pours a very cloudy pale golden yellow with some orange. Lots of rising bubbles and a big four finger white head with good retention. Leaves lots of creamy lacing around the glass.

Smell: Aroma of wheat malts with some light spicing. Wheat grains and pale malts with lots of yeast. Hints of biscuit and crackers. Hints of citrus orange and lemon zest. Also a good scent of coriander and a slight hint of pepper. Very forward with the yeast and wheat.

Taste: Taste is crisp, wheat and yeast driven, and somewhat tart with the citrus. Starts with the wheat grains and sweet malts. Notes of yeast, biscuit,, cereal grains, and crackers. Then comes the citrus with notes of tart lemon juice and orange. On the sweeter side with no real noticeable bitterness except for some tartness. Crisp and decent.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with a fairly high level of carbonation. Crisp, tingly, and tart.

Overall: A pretty decent take on the wheat ale style. Some nice citrus character. Nice summer option.

3.82/5  rDev +11.7%

A: pours clear and golden in my pils glass. A very thin head. Nothing remarkable here, thought it would be unfiltered.
S: smells like sweet wheat bread with some faint hints of citrus. Very pleasant.
T: a refreshing blends of the bread and citrus mentioned before. A slight spice is present as well. Very tasty.
M: nicely carbonated and medium bodied. A slightly bitter hang, but a nice finish.
O: not the best of this style I have tried, but nothings wrong here. Certainly a candidate for a session brew and a good effort.

3.82/5  rDev +11.7%

Clear straw gold color, lots of little carb bubblies,filtered, small white head. Minimal lacingf. Nice light wheat scent, fairly sweet. Sweet malt start, grass, filtered wheat tones, just a peck of hops. Fairly thin and dry, a bit of acidicism.

I'll have to check after I'm done writing, but i thought Capital was all about lagers, but this is certainly a nice light filtered wheat brew.

3.82/5  rDev +11.7%

A- Straw gold, half finger head.

S- Bready, grainy malt with grassy notes.

T- The malt is mostly bready with some very light biscuity and caramel notes adding depth. Some extremely light hop bitterness comes in to just barely offset the sweetness with out detracting from the overall bready profile of this beer. Finishes smooth and semi sweet.

M- Light bodied without being watery, spritzy carbonation.

D- Not a "go to" persay but I could put back a few of these come summer.

A great example of the sytle. Be sure to check it out when the weather gets warm.

3.77/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

It offers yeasty bread aromas and flavors and a hint of banana. There is nice depth from the wheat but not a lot of spice. Although it does not have an immense amount of flavor, it is very refreshing and drinkable.

3.73/5  rDev +9.1%

A- A hazy yellow liquid with some streams of rising carbonation. The white head is splotchy and thin.

S- Some light itrus and white bread. Pretty light, but hey, it's about right for the style.

T- Some light citrus with white bread and wheat. Pretty simple, smooth, and tasty.

M- Creamy smooth with a nice carbonation bite. Enjoyable.

D- A nice sessionable beer that would be great on a summer day out on the lake. I can't imagine the alcohol being all that high, but it would still be nice to know what I am dealing with here.

3.73/5  rDev +9.1%

Island Wheat pours a clear bright straw color, with a good size head. There is a slightly skunk aroma with some hints grainy wheat. The taste is crisp, clean, good full wheat flavors, with hints of a carmalized malts. Not watery, full flavor, a little too carbonated. Overall this is a solid wheat ale, clean and crisp, but on the lighter side.

3.7/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Received in a trade from Kegatron. Thanks! Served into a tumbler at 45 degrees.

Appearance: A very pale yellow, hazy, but not cloudy. Quite a lot of carbonation can be seen in the glass. An eggshell white frothy head, about 2 finger widths. Retains a small but fluffy ring, and laces well for the style.

Smell: Fairly floral and grassy, clean, simple, and has some background sweetness there too. Some lemony notes also.

Taste: Some up front sweetness, fairly indescript though. A nice burst of lemony zing, quite a bit of twang which I like. Finishes with some wheat and earth/grassy notes.

Mouthfeel: Tingly on the tongue, fairly high on the carbonation. Maybe a little much. Light body, refreshing, finishes dry.

Drinkability: Drinks great! Could knock back a few of these on a hot afternoon. No alcohol flavor to speak of. Overall a good example of the style, simple, and well made. Recommended.

Island Wheat from Capital Brewery