Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Island Wheat - Capital Brewery

Island WheatIsland Wheat

Capital Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: DaPeculierDane on 09-06-2005

3.82/5  rDev +12%

Clear straw gold color, lots of little carb bubblies,filtered, small white head. Minimal lacingf. Nice light wheat scent, fairly sweet. Sweet malt start, grass, filtered wheat tones, just a peck of hops. Fairly thin and dry, a bit of acidicism.

I'll have to check after I'm done writing, but i thought Capital was all about lagers, but this is certainly a nice light filtered wheat brew.

3.6/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12 oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a crystal clear gold, topped with a finger of bright-white foamy head. This retains with a thin layer of fizzy film but does keep some creaminess on the edges that leaves back soft spotty lacing. The aroma has a sweet tang to it of bready character and citric fruit. Hops give this a grassy and spicy feel that lends this some airiness in the nose.

The taste has a crisp and sweet twang to it from the wheat, with earthy fruit mixing in and a moderately bitter hop profile that gives this some bite. Spice and rind leave back a steady lingering dryness. The mouthfeel is light-medium bodied, with a prickly crispness that keeps this lively feeling in the mouth. Maybe even a little bit too carbonated at times but it doesn't hinder the overall presence or drinkilbility of this.

This wasn't bad at all. Pretty well done little hoppy wheat beer here that had some kick to it but the wheat and citrus gave this a sweet smoothness that coupled with the crisp feel to keep this quite quaffable.

3.33/5  rDev -2.3%

Thanks to resi for the trade.Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a cloudy golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of grains and citrus. Taste is a bit of sour lemon up front, some wheat and grains, not bad but nothing special. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall this is a pretty good beer.

3.7/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Received in a trade from Kegatron. Thanks! Served into a tumbler at 45 degrees.

Appearance: A very pale yellow, hazy, but not cloudy. Quite a lot of carbonation can be seen in the glass. An eggshell white frothy head, about 2 finger widths. Retains a small but fluffy ring, and laces well for the style.

Smell: Fairly floral and grassy, clean, simple, and has some background sweetness there too. Some lemony notes also.

Taste: Some up front sweetness, fairly indescript though. A nice burst of lemony zing, quite a bit of twang which I like. Finishes with some wheat and earth/grassy notes.

Mouthfeel: Tingly on the tongue, fairly high on the carbonation. Maybe a little much. Light body, refreshing, finishes dry.

Drinkability: Drinks great! Could knock back a few of these on a hot afternoon. No alcohol flavor to speak of. Overall a good example of the style, simple, and well made. Recommended.

3.56/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a hazy golden in color, topped with a billowy off-white head which leaves just a trace of Brussels lace is it falls. After a couple of minutes only a slick of off-white foam covers the surface of the beer.

Nose is a musty, malty experience, with the teeniest bit of lemony citrus and broader wheat malt notes. No hops to speak of here, and it's almost like a pale lager, and this is not a bad thing at all . . .

Tangy and semi-sweet on first sip, the wheat malt dominates this one, with a zesty citrus character highlighting the aromatic portion of the palate. Quite dry and refreshing, also rather light in body and alcohol. A lemon-rind character is what lingers here in the place of what I'd expect to find a bittering hop.

Truly excellent drinkability, here, and with an ABV that feels like it's somewhere in the 3.5 ~ 4.2 range, this one is a true session beer.

Although Island Wheat no doubt will not appeal to folks who like bigger, bolder (and hoppier~!) entries in the APWA style segment, I'd say it's a hell of a beer to have around when a thirst-slaking wheat is what the doctor ordered. The fact that this one is available in 12 pack cans will have me seeking it out (over E.g. Blue Moon, Wittekerke) the next time I head out to throw some discs with friends ; )

4.01/5  rDev +17.6%

Capital in a CAN! Suh-wheat! The CANQuest (TM) CANtinues to receive new and unheard of CANs from hither and yon and I am appreciative to all who are involved in this madness.

From the CAN: "Refreshingly Different"; "Craft-Brewed by Capital Brewery Co., Inc., Middleton, WI Made with wheat from Washington Island, Door County, WI"

F**k it. I want to relocate to the Great Lakes region of the midwest and the sooner the better. I am deeply tired of the east coast and only time and money stand in my way! And now for a review -

Directly after the Crack & Glug, I felt as though I were looking at lemon meringue pie in a glass! The liquid was a hazy lemon-yellow and the finger-and-a-half of foam was thick and bone-white! Beautiful. Nose had a peppery tang to it and suddenly my mouth was watering. Mouthfeel was medium and there were flavors of lemon and pepper on the tongue, but both in mild forms. Refreshing, indeed! I spent the day in a humid classroom at the end of the hall because one (or more) of my jagov colleagues opened their window(s), defeating the central A/C. What I wouldn't have given for one of these beers out of a cooler at lunchtime. Sadly, as a high school English teacher, beer is frowned upon in the building. I had to wait until I got home, but it was worth the wait. I would not want a steady diet of Island Wheat, but a couple/few on a humid day would really cure what ales me.

3.22/5  rDev -5.6%

12oz. bottle poured into a hefe glass. Thanks to Beerwolf77 for this one!
(A)- Pours a hazy yellow color that produced a fantastic white fluffy head with solid retention behind it. Left stringy lacing behind as it finally subsided.

(S)- A light crisp lemon peel with a light airy honey wheat aroma.

(T)- Same as the smell. A light lemon peel with a lightly sweet honey wheat profile.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. Light and airy with a light crisp feel and sweetness.

(D)- A solid refreshing beer. Light-bodied with some good flavors. A great session brew to have around.

3.68/5  rDev +7.9%

Can care of Kegatron, thanks Heath!

Poured into a snifter...honestly I don't know why since I have plenty of wheat glasses but I guess I am just being lazy tonight. This brew appears a cloudy yellow color with 2 fingers of white head. The head retains pretty well and slowly receeds leaving quite an extensive layering of lace all about the glass.

The aroma of this brew is mostly composed of a smell of fresh wheat upfront mixed with a bit of a bready aroma. Herbal hops with a slight indication of citrus character come in through the back. As it warms it has a bit of sulfuric character that was initially hidden.

The taste of this brew is mostly wheat that imparts a bit of a bready sweet taste that is balanced by a minor amount of citrus and spiced hops. Very slight fruity taste that is a bit lemon-like. It finishes with a lingering bready grain taste coupled with the slight citrus and minorly herbal note.

This is a light bodied brew with a typical moderate to high level of carbonation. It is quite drinkable but each sip seems to make this brew come across a bit watery in the feel but overall it isn't bad. This isn't a beer that I would seek out on a regular basis but it is certainly something you sit down and have a few of on a hot day.

3.9/5  rDev +14.4%

I enjoyed the Island Wheat beer from Capital Brewery. It is a light wheat beer, comparable to something like Boulevard Wheat. It is a light shade of gold, almost yellow. You can detect a bit of citrus in the smell and taste. My girlfriend really liked this beer, so I would say the drinkability is very high as well. This beer won't blow your mind, but it is definitely worth the try.

3.3/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to beerwolf77.
12oz bottle poured into SA perfect pint.

A- Pours a golden straw color with a good amount of haze to it. A finger and a half worth of head that leaves some decent lacing on the side of the glass.

S- A big amount of wheat, probably some crystal malts and a touch of yeast. Maybe just a hint of sweetness.

T- A good amount of wheat, a small amount of sugar and some yeast. The malt doesn't really come in to play all that much.

M- Medium bodied that is very smooth. The carbonation gives a nice little tickle on the tongue.

D- A run of the mill beer that could be a good lawnmower beer now that it comes in a can. Nothing really spectacular about this beer, average all around.

3.36/5  rDev -1.5%

Thanks goes out to beerwolf77 for this brew.

Pours a nice cloudy pale yellow color, nice carbonation, nice two-finger fizzy white head, with some nice sticky lacing to follow. The nose is malty, with some yeast/grass notes, slightly spiced. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, yeasty/grassy, a slight spice note. Light-Medium body. Drinkable, a nice thirst quencher.

3.04/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours cloudy yellow with very little white foam. No lacing observed.

Light wheaty smell, but minor.

Taste is chalky - some wheat, low carbonation - falls a little flat. Short in the mouth.

Easy to drink, finishes easily, but not too much happening here.

3.14/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours a brilliantly clear light golden color, with a nice looking head that leaves a decent amount of lace behind.

Honestly I couldn't even smell the beer, it was so weak. There's really just not a whole lot there if it can't overcome the smell of a well kept dining facility.

Taste is on the bland side, but for a Pale Wheat Ale I guess this is to be expected. A tinge of hops mix with a pale malt/hint of wheat combo.
What's there doesn't taste bad at all, it's just that there's barely anything there. Would definitely make for an easy summer drinker if it was cold.

3.22/5  rDev -5.6%

12 oz. bottle, which proudly sources the wheat from Washington Island, WI. No freshness date.

A - Pours hazy yellow with a fleeting, soapy, eggshell-colored head. Thin ring of bubbles with virtually no lace.

S - Gentle and sweet overall. Clean wheat with a bare hint of citrus.

T - Seems to follow the nose. Moderately sweet, then notes of husky wheat. Finishes with a gentle hop bitterness and a suggestion of lemon peel.

M - Carbonation is snappy and refreshing, though not forced. Mouthfeel is appropriately smooth and light-ish.

D - Fits well with the style, which is to say most (though not all) APWAs are simple, mediocre, and designed to convert the macro drinker's palate. Not a bad choice for a "premium" lawnmower beer though.

4.37/5  rDev +28.2%

A= pours an almost white color. It's a really really pale yellow that is hazy as hell. The head is a nice two finger high with big bubbles in it. Soapy looking almost with the bubbles on it. The head falls a little fast for a wheat but the lacing is great on this one.

S= Very wheaty. A nice wheat smell. A little citrus in it which is typical from most wheats but this one has a strong wheat smell.

T= Again strong wheat taste to it. Really nice. When I look for a wheat beer this is sort of what I want. A little citrus taste to it but nothing artificial at all. The flavors are very spot on for a wheat in my opinion. A lot of wheat beers these days are hopped up but this one lets the wheat take the front seat and just tastes good.

M= Smooth and crisp. I'll be drinking a lot of this during the summer. This is a refreshing beer. I'm impressed.

D= Great. This beer didn't let me down at all. I'm not a real big fan of the brewery at all but this beer is really good. Smooth and crisp. Nice wheat forward beer with great flavors and still lets the wheat take the front seat. Awesome job. I'll but this again any day I got a cravin for a wheat.

3.94/5  rDev +15.5%

I first sampled this on draft in Washington Island, Wisconsin, the island for which the beer is named. All the wheat used in the brewing grown organically on the island. Kind of an awesome thing since it helps a pretty remote rural community to maintain its agricultural industry. Every place we went on the island (I think there are only four bars anyway) had it on tap, and I drank many pints.

Jump forward a year or so, I'm at Sahar Liquors in Chicago on the way to a party, and six pack bottles are available! I pick it up, even though the price is steep ($11+tax). Still good but not as good as I remember.

Last weekend in Wisconsin I stopped at my favorite beer store to marvel at low low Wisconsin prices. A 12-pack of bottles is $14, but I am inexplicably drawn to beer in cans...blame my dad, I guess. So I see this in cans and I'm like, "There is no way I can't buy that."

I bring it home, crack one open, and I think I like it better from a can than a bottle. Very mild, very drinkable. I could probably put a few of these away in a sitting if it was better available down here.

3.53/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a weizen glass.

Appearance: Inch of white head, but it doesn't stick around for real long. Cloudy bright yellow body.

Smell: Not much to the smell. No German wheat beer qualities, no noticeable hops. It's just bland when it comes to aroma.

Taste: Rather enjoyable, for such a typically bland style anyways. Mild hop bitterness in the finish.

3.63/5  rDev +6.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a Samuel Adams Summer Ale Stange. No date or info.

A - This beer is incredibly carbonated. Tons of bubbles flowing up to a dense white head. Low but great retention. The color is a lightly cloudy pale straw yellow. A bit of lacing on the glass.

S - Crisp, dry wheat blowing in the summer breeze. Too bad there is a mellow straw hint in there. No hops. No real yeast either.

T - The flavor is a smooth wheat with really nothing else. No hops, no malts, no yeast. Just a plain, dare I say bland, wheat.

M - Light-bodied and really crisp, it has a sharp carbonation bite to the finish.

D - The only time I ever see myself wanting this beer ever again is on a hot summer day when i need a refreshing brew. It really lacks in flavor. There is next to nothing there. But it is what it is and for a wheat beer it's incredibly refreshing.

3.47/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, pale yellow color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Good retention and slight lacing. Smells of yeast, pale malt, wheat, and slight citrus. Fits the style of an American Pale Wheat Ale. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of wheat, yeast, pale malt, and slight citrus. Overall, refreshing but, lacking body and complexity.

3.48/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Served in a traditional pint glass with about 1/8" of white head. Head reduces to just a surfaced coating. No lacing. Color is very hazy straw.

S: Light lemon and some sour yeast.

T: Strong lemon with some light bread-like flavors. Surprisingly long finish. Reminds me of carbonated lemonade.

M: Light in body with high carbonation that tingles the tongue.

D: This is a very refreshing beer, though not a very complex one. Easy drinker for a summer day.

3.73/5  rDev +9.4%

A- A hazy yellow liquid with some streams of rising carbonation. The white head is splotchy and thin.

S- Some light itrus and white bread. Pretty light, but hey, it's about right for the style.

T- Some light citrus with white bread and wheat. Pretty simple, smooth, and tasty.

M- Creamy smooth with a nice carbonation bite. Enjoyable.

D- A nice sessionable beer that would be great on a summer day out on the lake. I can't imagine the alcohol being all that high, but it would still be nice to know what I am dealing with here.

3.46/5  rDev +1.5%

12 oz can received in the 2nd round of the Fight Club BIF .. Czoch75 smacked me around easily. I've been sitting on this one for a while and found it on the bottom shelf of the upstairs fridge.. Thanks Clint.. I am very excited to have a "new to me" Capital brew... and it makes it even more special that it's from a can... poured into my shaped SA glass.

Very big head.. good lace for the whole glass.. the brew is a slightly hazy golden straw color..

Aroma is slightly sweet pale malts with some hidden citrus hoppiness.. really pretty flat.. not a whole lot going on.. as expected for the style.

Flavor has a mild sugar cookie essence that sorta ties everything together.. I could swear there is a lemon zest component.. but my palate could easily be wrong.. sorta seems flimsy from the get go.. very drinkable and the good carbonation helps.. but in my mind, I can only see this is a camping beer.. not anything I would buy except to put in a cooler.

Thanks for the beat down.. Clint clobbered me.. I like this beer.... but I am having a very hard time "NOT" comparing it to many of my favorite brews from Capital.

3.45/5  rDev +1.2%

Capital is hyped quite a bit in my area yet this is the first beer I've had from them.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Nice amount of thick white head about a half inch high. Golden straw color with moderate cloudiness.

The smell of this beer was very inviting. A light yeasty/wheat fragrance with a bit of citrus.

I really enjoy the taste of this beer. I'm a fan of wheat beers in general. It's very smooth and has such a pleasant flavor. There's a hint of fruit with a nice malty backend.

This beer dances nicley on your tongue then washes down easy.

Overall a nice session beer for my taste. I will be picking up more of these.

3.97/5  rDev +16.4%

Blue Moon, Boulevard Pale Wheat, 312: unexceptional, uninspired, but indubitably drinkable and not without their charms. Also, they sell like mad. You can't blame Capital for throwing their hat into the ring.

Pours hazy yellow with a nice head. Pretty, but unexceptional. Smells more hefe-y than your typical pale wheat, decent hints of banana and pepper from a surprising yeast profile. A good blend between bitter yeast and hops and sweet wheatmalt.

This certainly isn't the Spotted Cow-killer they were hoping it would be, but it's a welcome alternative to the more unadventurous (and commercially viable) pale wheats out there.

3.6/5  rDev +5.6%

Presentation: 16oz pint

Appearance: Light cloudy straw colored beer with a thin white cap from a weak pour.

Smell: Mild vague citrus fruit and crisp wheat

Taste: Mild orange flavors, with very mild vague spice and esters...this ends with a mild yeasty twang and just a hint of floral qualities

Mouthfeel: Light-medium bodied; fairly crisp

Drinkability: Pretty good

Conclusion: This is an average American Wheat...the only thing that puts it slightly over others like it is the floral notes on the finish

Island Wheat from Capital Brewery