EisPhyre - Capital Brewery

Capital Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Eisbock |  9.80% ABV

Beer added by: heyitsbyron on 03-13-2006

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 204 | Reviews: 162
3.03/5  rDev -26.1%

Reviewed on 1/31/2010. Bottle thanks to Skyview. Pours a clear amber with a small white head. Aroma of sweet caramel malt, prunes, molasses, brown sugar. Flavor is also quite sweet with many of the same flavors -- molasses, brown sugar, vanilla, sweet malt, plus some vegetal notes. Probably quite good for the style, but I am not a fan of the beer overall as it is much too sweet and heavy for my tastes.

2.91/5  rDev -29%

Pours a dark copper reddish brown color. Thick head with good retention and lacing. The smell is very sweet. Brown sugar, molasses, malted milk, and chocolate covered rasins. There is also a strong wiff of alcohol. The taste is consistant with the smell. Very sweet up front with a warming boozey finish. Very thick substantial mouthfeel. The sweetness and the boozey aftertaste made this go down hard for me. I wasn't really won over by this one. The beer flavors didn't seem to hold up very well and in the end all I tasted was a hot alcohol flavor. If the ABV was a little lower I think it would be a better overall beer.

2.76/5  rDev -32.7%

Originally reviewed on 2/18/10.

A-Really clear copper with a one finger head.

S-Caramel malt, dark fruits, and toasty malt.

T-Rich dark fruits with warming slightly astringent alcohol.

M-Not as carbonated as O expected it to be with a pretty thick body for a bock.

D-The alcoholic quality present really knocks down the drinkability for me. It feels like it should be more than 10% ABV. I'd like to try one with a year of age on it though, but this is not a beer I would drink again fresh.

2.74/5  rDev -33.2%

Bottle. Poured into a tulip glass a dark, clear copper red color with a 2 finger tight off white head. The aroma to me is rather subdued with slight notes of sweet fruits, slight vegetable like tomato, and grain. Medium mouthfeel. Hmmm, interesting, sweet fruit/vegetable flavor gives way to booze and a slight bitterness. I find myself not the biggest fan of this one not because it is boozy but because the flavors just aren't really that appealing to me. The bitterness lingers on for a while. Tastes like boozy sweet tomato to me. Looks really nice though and leaves some lace.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
EisPhyre from Capital Brewery