Blonde Doppelbock - Capital Brewery

Doppelbock |  7.80% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-05-2002

2.6/5  rDev -32.3%

Twelve ounce bottle acquired as an extra. Served in a pilsner glass and consumed on 07/17/2008.

Grabbed this one out of the fridge last night before dinner and intended to enjoy it while I was eating, but it did not really turn out that way. The pour was rather dull, with an amber color, with nice clarity but that was about it. No head really ever, except for maybe a broken ring of lace on the top but that was about it. Some light carbonation streaming from the bottom, but the whole thing really did not strike me as overly impressive.

The aroma was more of the same. Light roasted malts, with a musty and very bready profile. Nothing really that would tell me the style or what direction this was going to go in. The flavor was just not good, at least for me. This one tasted stale, moldy bread and gym socks would be the appropriate description. Decent body, but again slick, with not enough carbonation in it to really make a difference. No real hint of alcohol, but still, this was a mess. No direction and everything taste stale.

Overall I was a bit shocked and let down by this one. I have had good luck with Capital so far and this was the first one that threw me. Nothing that would keep me from trying them again in the future, but it does make me take pause. Oh well on to the next one. (1,305 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -25.5%

This beer was ok, but very unimpressed. This was my first foray into so-called "Blonde Doppelbocks" and it disappointed me. Way too sweet for my taste. No carbonation, no lacing, no head off tap. Could have been better,or at least not labeled as a doppel. (255 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear lighter amber. Nose is sweetened malts. Flavor is quite sweet, light brown sugar with a high level of malts. Winter fruits also prevalent with an oh so little hint of bitterness in the finish. I founds this to be almost cloyingly sweet. Nice malt and fruit notes were suffocated by the syrupy body of this brew. Thanks to JeffKrenner for the bottle. (363 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured a honey-orange into a Duvel tulip with a minimal film of white head.

Fairly strong and slightly musky/metallic aroma of caramel and brown sugar. Low to moderate carbonation and a fairly chewy mouthfeel, flavor is actually more creamy and toasty than sweet -- not what I expected with this style. Fairly quick and slightly watery finish with more bready malts and a slight bitterness. Higher ABV is not especially masked.

I enjoy doppelbocks quite a bit, but I must say that this one let me down. Nice aroma, but not much taste to back it up. Maybe I got a skunky bottle? (579 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -24%

Going off old notes. Pours a rust color with super small off white head. Nose is pale malts, white grapes, slight honey. Tastes same as the nose, fairly sweet. Medium bodied, low carbo. A nice session beer (205 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -23.4%

12 oz. bottle with a simple, but classic label of the Capital Dome surrounded by a blue record. Coming out of the record are thin gold lines. In the lower left hand corner is the ABV%. No back label because all the mandatory Government information along with another picture of the Capital Dome can be found on the neck label. No best before date, but there is an inked bottle code on the neck.

When poured into a Paulaner Salvator Pilsner glass, this "Blonde" Doppelbock was a clear amber orange with a streak or two of lemon yellow. The head of foam was a complete disappointment. The initial head of foam was 3/4 of an inch in height and egg shell white in color. Even though it was a decent size, it was one of those fizzy heads of foam. This fizzy white head of foam fizzled away in a matter of only one second. It didn't even bother to leave a steak or spot of lace. I only saw a small handful of rings along the edge. That's all she wrote folks!

This Doppelbock had a semi sweet aroma. The most dominate aroma was the sweet malt. There wasn't much of anything behind the sweet malt. All my nose was able to find was a pinch of orange peel and a subtle whiff of hops. Even when I swirled this beer around and around, nothing new came out. More sweet malt emerged, but that was it. Again, that's all she wrote folks!

After the disappointing appearance and smell, I was hoping that this beer would come through where it matters most, the taste. I hate to say this, but it didn't. It was just as disappointing as the smell and taste. The taste was all about the sweet malt and the alcohol. I'm still not sure why a 7.8 ABV% Doppelbock had so much alcohol in it. In between the sweet malt and the alcohol was the taste of orange and bitter hops. It was too hard to tell what kind of hops they were. Not much going on in this beer unless you really like the taste of alcohol.

Medium bodied Doppelbock with an OK level of carbonation and a quick aftertaste of sweet malt and more alcohol. Even though I could taste the alcohol at every twist and turn, I couldn't feel the alcohol go to work.

I tried so hard to find something nice to say about this beer, but it's so hard when I find a beer that has very little to offer. I was hoping that not all of these tasted like this so I bought another bottle from another store. I got the same thing from the second bottle. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. (2,429 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -22.4%

I know what you're thinking: how can there exist a blond doppelbock? Well, don't get too excited because this is about as blonde as... uhh... who's a famous red-haired person? It's as blonde as Samantha Morten in _Synecdoche, New York_! Yep. It's really dark amber, pale for a doppel, with a fabulous head.

Smells light. Very grainy. You get a light hint of that zippy bock malt I so enjoy, but also an odd hint of something a little too strong.

Tastes like zippy, hugely sweet bock malt up front. Coyingly sweet. A bit too much. Balance is attempted from alcohol and yeast bitternes, but the result is a rollercoaster of scary extremes.

You get used to it, after a few sips, but it never quite comes together. None of it is bad, really, but when you combine its lack of balance with its huge intensity it's really not that good. (835 characters)

I took "blonde" to mean light, which is a misconception I know, but I was still surprised how substantial this beer was. Lots of caramel, lots of malt, viscous. Not bad, but for all the compounds that were clearly suspended in the liquid (evident from the mouthfeel and thickness), it didn't taste like all that much. Sort of a mismatch to me. Still, not a bad beer, and I thought it OK.

Color is a dirty-blonde amber color. This beer is pretty thick and had very little head. I don't know the nutritional info on this beer, but pouring gave me the impression that it is a calorie bomb. Aroma is caramel but rather faint. Flavor takes a back-seat to mouthfeel, which is thick and full and combined with the flavor reminiscent of malt syrup. Still, it was good in that the maltiness intensity was clearly communicated, yet the beer didn't taste grainy or overly cerealy.

Not bad, and more than I was expecting. However, I was a bit disappointed in the intensity of flavor delivered, particularly given a very heavy mouthfeel. I'd weakly recommend.

I bought this as a single from 3 Cellars in Franklin, WI. (1,107 characters)

Definitely lighter than others of the style... Very sweet and fruity malt aromas... Overly sweet.. Lots of apple and raisins... Loads of sweet caramel malts with the apple and raisin present here as well... Strange aftertaste present as well... This one isn't working for me... Very average doppelbock... (304 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -21.1%

A: Minor lacing along the interior of the glass, light to medium gold in color, crystal clear - 3.50, S: Lots of sweet grains - malts dominate the nose, I pick up little to no hop aroma, very slight burn - 3.00, T: A decent spicy hop bite, quite grassy and with a jolt of alcohol burn, quite bready and with a thin toasty flavor - 2.75, M: A little on the side of being slick, medium mouth feel - 3.00, D: A blonde Doppelbock is not your standard style and hence I'm not sure what to expect, all in all this was an okay beer but not one that blew me away - 3.00 (561 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -20.8%

A: Very clear, light golden amber. One finger white head, tight bubbles. Few medium bubble float to top. Head disappears quickly.

S: Sweet, malty and light. A bit tinny.

T: Malty and sweet. Thick with a metallic taste. The ABV is 7.8 and I can taste it. I've had brew with a much higher ABV that masked it a lot better. Though the smell was light and crisp, the taste is less so. I get a malty thick taste that lingers forever.

M: Again, the thick malt taste isn't that appealing to me. It looks so refreshing and tastes so oppressively thick.

D: I almost feel bad that I don't like this beer more, but I wouldn't drink another one. I'm not feeling the caramel malt in this one, I can taste it, but I'm not liking it. (722 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -19%

(Served in a weizen glass)
A- The light copper body is clear with a sea of carbonation supporting a bubbly off-white head that last for a bit.
S- The sweet malt flavor blends with a buttery diacetyl aroma and a dry cracker finish.
T- The sweet almost cloying flavor of malt gives way to a dry buttery note and a carbonic acid bite in the finish. There is really no hops noticed in the taste or bitterness.
M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel with no alcohol heat but a soft fizz in the finish.
D- This beer is really too sweet with nothing to support it and no depth to the sweetness. (596 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -18.8%

A dark golden colored brew with a small head that dissapeared almost immediately. Aroma is sweet and malty with a hint of caramel and a bit of a yeast thing going on. Flavor is a rich malty sweet one and a bit dry on the finish. Has that distinct German bock aroma and flavor. Not a bad beer but not something I'd drink often either. (333 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -18.5%

First of all, I have never seen such a light colored Dopplebock nor have I ever rated such a light colored Dopplebock since I've been rating beers. That said, this brew had a small white head with small bubbles that fully diminished. The lacing was fair and the body was clear with an orange hue. It had a light malty aroma and a hoppy aroma of citrus. There was no carbonation observed with this brew. It was bitter tasting from start to finish and lingered for a while after finishing this drink. The mouthfeel was smooth, light and somewhat watery. (551 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -18%

12oz bottle w twist-off cap. "2009" indicated on the neck label. tasted in late may/early june 2009.

dark honey amber color, w orange tint. gem clear. 1-finger off-white head is fizzy and soon dissipates to just wisps, then nothing. no lace whatsoever.

aroma: malty caramel, apple, whiffs of euro/noble hops. touch of vanilla? faint whiff of alcohol.

taste: caramel maltiness again, but less than what the aroma led me to expect. touch of apple. slightly hoppier than aroma, with euro/noble character and mild to moderate bitterness. a phenol and fusel note, along with general alcohol booziness, comes in towards the finish, slightly thinning out the malt character. nothing horrible, but not desired either.

medium body, some smoothness, but the fusel/alcohol note becomes solvent-like here. mild to moderate carbonation.

when i had this in a small 2 or 3oz sample size at a festival, it seemed so much better. but sitting down with a full serving, it was not as ideal. not a bad beer, but not really all that good either, particularly as a result of the fusels and alcohol that come in and mar the whole thing... (1,120 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -17.4%

Thanks to hopdog for this...
Appears a light gold with spotty lacing.
Smell is of sweet, canned tropical fruit.
Taste is malty, with grapes, citrus, grainy, odd clay-like taste.
Mouthfeel is sweet, hitting mostly in the middle of the tongue.
Drinkability is ok. I wouldn't bother with it again though. I think I just prefer doppelbocks on the dark side. (358 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -17.2%

This was one of my all time favorites - but took a big step back this year. I see that BTI rated it really high this year - what are theythinking??? Rating based on history?

Has a nice enough maibock nose, but lacks past years compexity. The first taste is rather off-putting. It has a rather stark and harsh yeast compenent. The flavors don;t develop and give the mouthfeel of previous years or anywhere near the taste of the tap version.

Finish picks up just a bit, but the lingering harshness of a "house" yeast strain of where this is contract bottled is a bit tough. (577 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -16.7%

This brew pours a small head of fine white bubbles and a transparent light orange brown body. It had a mild malt aroma. This brew had a smooth initial flavor and no fore or after bite. I did not understand this brew and I would definately not call it a Doppelbock. (264 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -15.9%

This beer pours a clear red color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes quickly into decent lacing. The aroma is of caramel, with a hint of grapefruit. The taste is maltier than the aroma, with a nice lasting caramel finish. The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with lively carbonation. Overall, I don't really get this beer. It seems more like an amber lager than a doppelbock. It isn't bad, but it isn't good enough that I would buy it again. (450 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12 oz served in a Duvel tulip

A - Beautiful rich amber color, small white head which shrinks quickly, lacing which is okay at best.

S - Some yeast, honey, caramel, fresh grains.

T - Sweet malts, Bavarian yeasts, & not much else, really. Sweet finish with lots of malt and some heat. Not bad, but definitely not my style.

M - Heavy for me (again, not an aficionado of the style); poor carbonation

D - A little hot and sweetness gets cloying after awhile. (458 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -14.3%

Pours a brownish, Carmel color into my pint glass. Clear with little to no head.
Smells great. I am getting some apple, Carmel and biscuit aromas. Very nice.
Taste is just a bit too sweet for me. The carmel and malts just take over. A nice boozy flavor as well. Reminds me of a bourbon ale.
Low to medium carbonation with a thin to medium body. Hang is minimal, more booze than malt.
I like the beer, but one is enough. I would have liked a tad more balance here. Need a little more hops and just a tad less malt. (513 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a golden color with quite a bit of haze and a thin white head. Interesting nose with grain and some light fruits. Hints of alcohol. Taste is light fruit and grain, going along with a creamy mouthfeel with slight booze. An interesting idea, but not all that good. (290 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -14.1%

This was just a very standard beer to me, nothing special.

The color and smell were pretty average. An orange golden color that could have been any of hundreds of beers out there. The smell was about what you'd think a bock would smell like.

When I took a sip, I was expecting something more to kick in; maybe a little more bitterness, maybe some sweetness (because I saw people reference a sweetness in other reviews) but there was nothing there.

If I did have to say one positive about this beer, the 7.8 abv is well hidden and the beer does go down rather smooth so if you were in the mood to polish off 3 or 4 of these and get a nice little buzz going; this beer would work. There are times I am looking for that but on this particular Friday night, I wanted something good to sip and enjoy and it just didn't do it for me.

EDIT-I have held onto a few bottles of this for a few months now and after having one tonight, I noticed more booziness than the last time I had one. I don't know if just a few months is enough to bring out characteristics from cellaring it but it was for sure packed more of a punch than the last time I had it. Another factor was that right before I drank this tonight, I had two lesser alcohol beers so it may have made this one seem more boozy. (1,282 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -14.1%

Lacquered, brassy orange with butterscotch trim. The soft, ecru colored cap is strangely small and is essentially featureless. It deflates way too quickly and, in the process, leaves the glass untouched by lace. The beer itself looks good, but that's the extent of it. Not an especially good start.

The nose is far from world-class, either in terms of intensity or personality. It's malt dominant, as it should be, with a disturbing lack of complexity or even a token amount of hoppiness. So far, it's hard to believe that Capital is responsible for this big lager.

Blonde makes a comeback of sorts on the palate. It's a decent blonde doppelbock, maibock, helles bock... whatever your term of preference is. Still though, I'm amazed at the lack of the slightest bit of depth or complexity. Even a token amount of spicy German hoppiness would help immensely. The finish is somewhat bitter, but it's a bitterness that is divorced from even a modicum of hop flavor.

The flavor profile improves a fraction with warming, but not enough to warrant any real praise. At least the body/mouthfeel up to the task at hand. It's medium-full and delivers an impressive smooth silkiness that all well-constructed, high gravity lagers seem to possess.

Blonde Doppelbock isn't the beer that I'd hoped it would be. This brewery appears to take pride in their bocks since they brew six of them at various times of the year. Even though this one falls well short of expectations, I'm still excited about trying the four Capital bocks that I haven't yet had. I just hope they're better than the beer I just finished. (1,607 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -13.3%

12oz long neck. Consumed 1/19/10

A) Pours with a quick settling one finger head. The head dissapates to nearly nothing, leaving an also nearly nothing lacing. Clear body. Light upward carbonation. Amber in color or maybe it's strawberry blonde.
S) Notes of caramel. Light raisin.
T) Caramel and toffee - very boldly. Mellow sweet nuttiness. Hints of alcohol - a light effervescence in the end with an alcohol bite. Also in the mix dry grain, mild earthiness.
M) Somewhat smooth, although the body is a bit flat. Medium body. A tweek of syrupy feel.
D) A decent brew, but not one that is a stand out. (601 characters)

Blonde Doppelbock from Capital Brewery