Blonde Doppelbock - Capital Brewery

Capital Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Doppelbock |  7.80% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-05-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
mikesgroove

South Carolina

2.58/5  rDev -33.2%

Twelve ounce bottle acquired as an extra. Served in a pilsner glass and consumed on 07/17/2008.

Grabbed this one out of the fridge last night before dinner and intended to enjoy it while I was eating, but it did not really turn out that way. The pour was rather dull, with an amber color, with nice clarity but that was about it. No head really ever, except for maybe a broken ring of lace on the top but that was about it. Some light carbonation streaming from the bottom, but the whole thing really did not strike me as overly impressive.

The aroma was more of the same. Light roasted malts, with a musty and very bready profile. Nothing really that would tell me the style or what direction this was going to go in. The flavor was just not good, at least for me. This one tasted stale, moldy bread and gym socks would be the appropriate description. Decent body, but again slick, with not enough carbonation in it to really make a difference. No real hint of alcohol, but still, this was a mess. No direction and everything taste stale.

Overall I was a bit shocked and let down by this one. I have had good luck with Capital so far and this was the first one that threw me. Nothing that would keep me from trying them again in the future, but it does make me take pause. Oh well on to the next one.

07-19-2008 15:27:24 | More by mikesgroove

2.75/5  rDev -28.8%

06-27-2013 21:01:02 | More by birchstick
KeefD

2.85/5  rDev -26.2%

This beer was ok, but very unimpressed. This was my first foray into so-called "Blonde Doppelbocks" and it disappointed me. Way too sweet for my taste. No carbonation, no lacing, no head off tap. Could have been better,or at least not labeled as a doppel.

04-14-2008 02:58:20 | More by KeefD
thaichile

2.85/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear lighter amber. Nose is sweetened malts. Flavor is quite sweet, light brown sugar with a high level of malts. Winter fruits also prevalent with an oh so little hint of bitterness in the finish. I founds this to be almost cloyingly sweet. Nice malt and fruit notes were suffocated by the syrupy body of this brew. Thanks to JeffKrenner for the bottle.

08-04-2006 14:51:07 | More by thaichile
grittybrews

Washington

2.85/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured a honey-orange into a Duvel tulip with a minimal film of white head.

Fairly strong and slightly musky/metallic aroma of caramel and brown sugar. Low to moderate carbonation and a fairly chewy mouthfeel, flavor is actually more creamy and toasty than sweet -- not what I expected with this style. Fairly quick and slightly watery finish with more bready malts and a slight bitterness. Higher ABV is not especially masked.

I enjoy doppelbocks quite a bit, but I must say that this one let me down. Nice aroma, but not much taste to back it up. Maybe I got a skunky bottle?

06-15-2010 05:31:43 | More by grittybrews
AltBock

2.94/5  rDev -23.8%

12 oz. bottle with a simple, but classic label of the Capital Dome surrounded by a blue record. Coming out of the record are thin gold lines. In the lower left hand corner is the ABV%. No back label because all the mandatory Government information along with another picture of the Capital Dome can be found on the neck label. No best before date, but there is an inked bottle code on the neck.

When poured into a Paulaner Salvator Pilsner glass, this "Blonde" Doppelbock was a clear amber orange with a streak or two of lemon yellow. The head of foam was a complete disappointment. The initial head of foam was 3/4 of an inch in height and egg shell white in color. Even though it was a decent size, it was one of those fizzy heads of foam. This fizzy white head of foam fizzled away in a matter of only one second. It didn't even bother to leave a steak or spot of lace. I only saw a small handful of rings along the edge. That's all she wrote folks!

This Doppelbock had a semi sweet aroma. The most dominate aroma was the sweet malt. There wasn't much of anything behind the sweet malt. All my nose was able to find was a pinch of orange peel and a subtle whiff of hops. Even when I swirled this beer around and around, nothing new came out. More sweet malt emerged, but that was it. Again, that's all she wrote folks!

After the disappointing appearance and smell, I was hoping that this beer would come through where it matters most, the taste. I hate to say this, but it didn't. It was just as disappointing as the smell and taste. The taste was all about the sweet malt and the alcohol. I'm still not sure why a 7.8 ABV% Doppelbock had so much alcohol in it. In between the sweet malt and the alcohol was the taste of orange and bitter hops. It was too hard to tell what kind of hops they were. Not much going on in this beer unless you really like the taste of alcohol.

Medium bodied Doppelbock with an OK level of carbonation and a quick aftertaste of sweet malt and more alcohol. Even though I could taste the alcohol at every twist and turn, I couldn't feel the alcohol go to work.

I tried so hard to find something nice to say about this beer, but it's so hard when I find a beer that has very little to offer. I was hoping that not all of these tasted like this so I bought another bottle from another store. I got the same thing from the second bottle. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

04-25-2013 02:40:09 | More by AltBock
mynie

2.95/5  rDev -23.6%

I know what you're thinking: how can there exist a blond doppelbock? Well, don't get too excited because this is about as blonde as... uhh... who's a famous red-haired person? It's as blonde as Samantha Morten in _Synecdoche, New York_! Yep. It's really dark amber, pale for a doppel, with a fabulous head.

Smells light. Very grainy. You get a light hint of that zippy bock malt I so enjoy, but also an odd hint of something a little too strong.

Tastes like zippy, hugely sweet bock malt up front. Coyingly sweet. A bit too much. Balance is attempted from alcohol and yeast bitternes, but the result is a rollercoaster of scary extremes.

You get used to it, after a few sips, but it never quite comes together. None of it is bad, really, but when you combine its lack of balance with its huge intensity it's really not that good.

06-05-2009 06:03:09 | More by mynie
LJWalker

Alabama

02-08-2012 17:27:46 | More by LJWalker
AmandaSchaefer

05-13-2013 22:43:36 | More by AmandaSchaefer
BeerBelcher

I took "blonde" to mean light, which is a misconception I know, but I was still surprised how substantial this beer was. Lots of caramel, lots of malt, viscous. Not bad, but for all the compounds that were clearly suspended in the liquid (evident from the mouthfeel and thickness), it didn't taste like all that much. Sort of a mismatch to me. Still, not a bad beer, and I thought it OK.

Color is a dirty-blonde amber color. This beer is pretty thick and had very little head. I don't know the nutritional info on this beer, but pouring gave me the impression that it is a calorie bomb. Aroma is caramel but rather faint. Flavor takes a back-seat to mouthfeel, which is thick and full and combined with the flavor reminiscent of malt syrup. Still, it was good in that the maltiness intensity was clearly communicated, yet the beer didn't taste grainy or overly cerealy.

Not bad, and more than I was expecting. However, I was a bit disappointed in the intensity of flavor delivered, particularly given a very heavy mouthfeel. I'd weakly recommend.

I bought this as a single from 3 Cellars in Franklin, WI.

03-17-2008 13:26:59 | More by BeerBelcher
Tilley4

Tennessee

Definitely lighter than others of the style... Very sweet and fruity malt aromas... Overly sweet.. Lots of apple and raisins... Loads of sweet caramel malts with the apple and raisin present here as well... Strange aftertaste present as well... This one isn't working for me... Very average doppelbock...

01-12-2011 05:23:56 | More by Tilley4
deereless

Colorado

3.03/5  rDev -21.5%

A: Minor lacing along the interior of the glass, light to medium gold in color, crystal clear - 3.50, S: Lots of sweet grains - malts dominate the nose, I pick up little to no hop aroma, very slight burn - 3.00, T: A decent spicy hop bite, quite grassy and with a jolt of alcohol burn, quite bready and with a thin toasty flavor - 2.75, M: A little on the side of being slick, medium mouth feel - 3.00, D: A blonde Doppelbock is not your standard style and hence I'm not sure what to expect, all in all this was an okay beer but not one that blew me away - 3.00

08-13-2010 23:17:25 | More by deereless
happilysurly

3.08/5  rDev -20.2%

A: Very clear, light golden amber. One finger white head, tight bubbles. Few medium bubble float to top. Head disappears quickly.

S: Sweet, malty and light. A bit tinny.

T: Malty and sweet. Thick with a metallic taste. The ABV is 7.8 and I can taste it. I've had brew with a much higher ABV that masked it a lot better. Though the smell was light and crisp, the taste is less so. I get a malty thick taste that lingers forever.

M: Again, the thick malt taste isn't that appealing to me. It looks so refreshing and tastes so oppressively thick.

D: I almost feel bad that I don't like this beer more, but I wouldn't drink another one. I'm not feeling the caramel malt in this one, I can taste it, but I'm not liking it.

02-27-2010 21:15:28 | More by happilysurly
rhoadsrage

3.1/5  rDev -19.7%

(Served in a weizen glass)
A- The light copper body is clear with a sea of carbonation supporting a bubbly off-white head that last for a bit.
S- The sweet malt flavor blends with a buttery diacetyl aroma and a dry cracker finish.
T- The sweet almost cloying flavor of malt gives way to a dry buttery note and a carbonic acid bite in the finish. There is really no hops noticed in the taste or bitterness.
M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel with no alcohol heat but a soft fizz in the finish.
D- This beer is really too sweet with nothing to support it and no depth to the sweetness.

08-31-2010 02:54:17 | More by rhoadsrage
hotstuff

3.1/5  rDev -19.7%

First of all, I have never seen such a light colored Dopplebock nor have I ever rated such a light colored Dopplebock since I've been rating beers. That said, this brew had a small white head with small bubbles that fully diminished. The lacing was fair and the body was clear with an orange hue. It had a light malty aroma and a hoppy aroma of citrus. There was no carbonation observed with this brew. It was bitter tasting from start to finish and lingered for a while after finishing this drink. The mouthfeel was smooth, light and somewhat watery.

06-30-2003 13:59:01 | More by hotstuff
BierReise

3.1/5  rDev -19.7%

A dark golden colored brew with a small head that dissapeared almost immediately. Aroma is sweet and malty with a hint of caramel and a bit of a yeast thing going on. Flavor is a rich malty sweet one and a bit dry on the finish. Has that distinct German bock aroma and flavor. Not a bad beer but not something I'd drink often either.

08-17-2003 19:58:14 | More by BierReise
tai4ji2x

3.13/5  rDev -18.9%

12oz bottle w twist-off cap. "2009" indicated on the neck label. tasted in late may/early june 2009.

dark honey amber color, w orange tint. gem clear. 1-finger off-white head is fizzy and soon dissipates to just wisps, then nothing. no lace whatsoever.

aroma: malty caramel, apple, whiffs of euro/noble hops. touch of vanilla? faint whiff of alcohol.

taste: caramel maltiness again, but less than what the aroma led me to expect. touch of apple. slightly hoppier than aroma, with euro/noble character and mild to moderate bitterness. a phenol and fusel note, along with general alcohol booziness, comes in towards the finish, slightly thinning out the malt character. nothing horrible, but not desired either.

medium body, some smoothness, but the fusel/alcohol note becomes solvent-like here. mild to moderate carbonation.

when i had this in a small 2 or 3oz sample size at a festival, it seemed so much better. but sitting down with a full serving, it was not as ideal. not a bad beer, but not really all that good either, particularly as a result of the fusels and alcohol that come in and mar the whole thing...

11-03-2009 16:13:47 | More by tai4ji2x
weeare138

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

Thanks to hopdog for this...
Appears a light gold with spotty lacing.
Smell is of sweet, canned tropical fruit.
Taste is malty, with grapes, citrus, grainy, odd clay-like taste.
Mouthfeel is sweet, hitting mostly in the middle of the tongue.
Drinkability is ok. I wouldn't bother with it again though. I think I just prefer doppelbocks on the dark side.

11-29-2005 21:59:42 | More by weeare138
sweethome

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

This was one of my all time favorites - but took a big step back this year. I see that BTI rated it really high this year - what are theythinking??? Rating based on history?

Has a nice enough maibock nose, but lacks past years compexity. The first taste is rather off-putting. It has a rather stark and harsh yeast compenent. The flavors don;t develop and give the mouthfeel of previous years or anywhere near the taste of the tap version.

Finish picks up just a bit, but the lingering harshness of a "house" yeast strain of where this is contract bottled is a bit tough.

07-27-2007 04:27:32 | More by sweethome
TheDM

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

This brew pours a small head of fine white bubbles and a transparent light orange brown body. It had a mild malt aroma. This brew had a smooth initial flavor and no fore or after bite. I did not understand this brew and I would definately not call it a Doppelbock.

08-01-2003 22:09:57 | More by TheDM
Infamous7100

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours a brownish, Carmel color into my pint glass. Clear with little to no head.
Smells great. I am getting some apple, Carmel and biscuit aromas. Very nice.
Taste is just a bit too sweet for me. The carmel and malts just take over. A nice boozy flavor as well. Reminds me of a bourbon ale.
Low to medium carbonation with a thin to medium body. Hang is minimal, more booze than malt.
I like the beer, but one is enough. I would have liked a tad more balance here. Need a little more hops and just a tad less malt.

01-22-2011 02:21:43 | More by Infamous7100
OSUBucksfan09

08-06-2012 06:48:42 | More by OSUBucksfan09
klikger

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12 oz served in a Duvel tulip

A - Beautiful rich amber color, small white head which shrinks quickly, lacing which is okay at best.

S - Some yeast, honey, caramel, fresh grains.

T - Sweet malts, Bavarian yeasts, & not much else, really. Sweet finish with lots of malt and some heat. Not bad, but definitely not my style.

M - Heavy for me (again, not an aficionado of the style); poor carbonation

D - A little hot and sweetness gets cloying after awhile.

10-14-2010 22:15:07 | More by klikger