Blonde Doppelbock - Capital Brewery

Capital Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Doppelbock |  7.80% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-05-2002)
BeerBelcher

I took "blonde" to mean light, which is a misconception I know, but I was still surprised how substantial this beer was. Lots of caramel, lots of malt, viscous. Not bad, but for all the compounds that were clearly suspended in the liquid (evident from the mouthfeel and thickness), it didn't taste like all that much. Sort of a mismatch to me. Still, not a bad beer, and I thought it OK.

Color is a dirty-blonde amber color. This beer is pretty thick and had very little head. I don't know the nutritional info on this beer, but pouring gave me the impression that it is a calorie bomb. Aroma is caramel but rather faint. Flavor takes a back-seat to mouthfeel, which is thick and full and combined with the flavor reminiscent of malt syrup. Still, it was good in that the maltiness intensity was clearly communicated, yet the beer didn't taste grainy or overly cerealy.

Not bad, and more than I was expecting. However, I was a bit disappointed in the intensity of flavor delivered, particularly given a very heavy mouthfeel. I'd weakly recommend.

I bought this as a single from 3 Cellars in Franklin, WI.

03-17-2008 13:26:59 | More by BeerBelcher
Tilley4

Tennessee

Definitely lighter than others of the style... Very sweet and fruity malt aromas... Overly sweet.. Lots of apple and raisins... Loads of sweet caramel malts with the apple and raisin present here as well... Strange aftertaste present as well... This one isn't working for me... Very average doppelbock...

01-12-2011 05:23:56 | More by Tilley4
deereless

Colorado

3.03/5  rDev -21.5%

A: Minor lacing along the interior of the glass, light to medium gold in color, crystal clear - 3.50, S: Lots of sweet grains - malts dominate the nose, I pick up little to no hop aroma, very slight burn - 3.00, T: A decent spicy hop bite, quite grassy and with a jolt of alcohol burn, quite bready and with a thin toasty flavor - 2.75, M: A little on the side of being slick, medium mouth feel - 3.00, D: A blonde Doppelbock is not your standard style and hence I'm not sure what to expect, all in all this was an okay beer but not one that blew me away - 3.00

08-13-2010 23:17:25 | More by deereless
happilysurly

3.08/5  rDev -20.2%

A: Very clear, light golden amber. One finger white head, tight bubbles. Few medium bubble float to top. Head disappears quickly.

S: Sweet, malty and light. A bit tinny.

T: Malty and sweet. Thick with a metallic taste. The ABV is 7.8 and I can taste it. I've had brew with a much higher ABV that masked it a lot better. Though the smell was light and crisp, the taste is less so. I get a malty thick taste that lingers forever.

M: Again, the thick malt taste isn't that appealing to me. It looks so refreshing and tastes so oppressively thick.

D: I almost feel bad that I don't like this beer more, but I wouldn't drink another one. I'm not feeling the caramel malt in this one, I can taste it, but I'm not liking it.

02-27-2010 21:15:28 | More by happilysurly
rhoadsrage

3.1/5  rDev -19.7%

(Served in a weizen glass)
A- The light copper body is clear with a sea of carbonation supporting a bubbly off-white head that last for a bit.
S- The sweet malt flavor blends with a buttery diacetyl aroma and a dry cracker finish.
T- The sweet almost cloying flavor of malt gives way to a dry buttery note and a carbonic acid bite in the finish. There is really no hops noticed in the taste or bitterness.
M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel with no alcohol heat but a soft fizz in the finish.
D- This beer is really too sweet with nothing to support it and no depth to the sweetness.

08-31-2010 02:54:17 | More by rhoadsrage
hotstuff

3.1/5  rDev -19.7%

First of all, I have never seen such a light colored Dopplebock nor have I ever rated such a light colored Dopplebock since I've been rating beers. That said, this brew had a small white head with small bubbles that fully diminished. The lacing was fair and the body was clear with an orange hue. It had a light malty aroma and a hoppy aroma of citrus. There was no carbonation observed with this brew. It was bitter tasting from start to finish and lingered for a while after finishing this drink. The mouthfeel was smooth, light and somewhat watery.

06-30-2003 13:59:01 | More by hotstuff
BierReise

3.1/5  rDev -19.7%

A dark golden colored brew with a small head that dissapeared almost immediately. Aroma is sweet and malty with a hint of caramel and a bit of a yeast thing going on. Flavor is a rich malty sweet one and a bit dry on the finish. Has that distinct German bock aroma and flavor. Not a bad beer but not something I'd drink often either.

08-17-2003 19:58:14 | More by BierReise
tai4ji2x

3.13/5  rDev -18.9%

12oz bottle w twist-off cap. "2009" indicated on the neck label. tasted in late may/early june 2009.

dark honey amber color, w orange tint. gem clear. 1-finger off-white head is fizzy and soon dissipates to just wisps, then nothing. no lace whatsoever.

aroma: malty caramel, apple, whiffs of euro/noble hops. touch of vanilla? faint whiff of alcohol.

taste: caramel maltiness again, but less than what the aroma led me to expect. touch of apple. slightly hoppier than aroma, with euro/noble character and mild to moderate bitterness. a phenol and fusel note, along with general alcohol booziness, comes in towards the finish, slightly thinning out the malt character. nothing horrible, but not desired either.

medium body, some smoothness, but the fusel/alcohol note becomes solvent-like here. mild to moderate carbonation.

when i had this in a small 2 or 3oz sample size at a festival, it seemed so much better. but sitting down with a full serving, it was not as ideal. not a bad beer, but not really all that good either, particularly as a result of the fusels and alcohol that come in and mar the whole thing...

11-03-2009 16:13:47 | More by tai4ji2x
weeare138

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

Thanks to hopdog for this...
Appears a light gold with spotty lacing.
Smell is of sweet, canned tropical fruit.
Taste is malty, with grapes, citrus, grainy, odd clay-like taste.
Mouthfeel is sweet, hitting mostly in the middle of the tongue.
Drinkability is ok. I wouldn't bother with it again though. I think I just prefer doppelbocks on the dark side.

11-29-2005 21:59:42 | More by weeare138
sweethome

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

This was one of my all time favorites - but took a big step back this year. I see that BTI rated it really high this year - what are theythinking??? Rating based on history?

Has a nice enough maibock nose, but lacks past years compexity. The first taste is rather off-putting. It has a rather stark and harsh yeast compenent. The flavors don;t develop and give the mouthfeel of previous years or anywhere near the taste of the tap version.

Finish picks up just a bit, but the lingering harshness of a "house" yeast strain of where this is contract bottled is a bit tough.

07-27-2007 04:27:32 | More by sweethome
TheDM

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

This brew pours a small head of fine white bubbles and a transparent light orange brown body. It had a mild malt aroma. This brew had a smooth initial flavor and no fore or after bite. I did not understand this brew and I would definately not call it a Doppelbock.

08-01-2003 22:09:57 | More by TheDM
Infamous7100

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours a brownish, Carmel color into my pint glass. Clear with little to no head.
Smells great. I am getting some apple, Carmel and biscuit aromas. Very nice.
Taste is just a bit too sweet for me. The carmel and malts just take over. A nice boozy flavor as well. Reminds me of a bourbon ale.
Low to medium carbonation with a thin to medium body. Hang is minimal, more booze than malt.
I like the beer, but one is enough. I would have liked a tad more balance here. Need a little more hops and just a tad less malt.

01-22-2011 02:21:43 | More by Infamous7100
OSUBucksfan09

08-06-2012 06:48:42 | More by OSUBucksfan09
klikger

Wisconsin

12 oz served in a Duvel tulip

A - Beautiful rich amber color, small white head which shrinks quickly, lacing which is okay at best.

S - Some yeast, honey, caramel, fresh grains.

T - Sweet malts, Bavarian yeasts, & not much else, really. Sweet finish with lots of malt and some heat. Not bad, but definitely not my style.

M - Heavy for me (again, not an aficionado of the style); poor carbonation

D - A little hot and sweetness gets cloying after awhile.

10-14-2010 22:15:07 | More by klikger
bradcochran1234

Georgia

01-28-2013 21:49:04 | More by bradcochran1234
udouche

12-14-2012 22:33:55 | More by udouche
KarlHungus

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

This beer pours a clear red color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes quickly into decent lacing. The aroma is of caramel, with a hint of grapefruit. The taste is maltier than the aroma, with a nice lasting caramel finish. The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with lively carbonation. Overall, I don't really get this beer. It seems more like an amber lager than a doppelbock. It isn't bad, but it isn't good enough that I would buy it again.

06-28-2007 02:50:24 | More by KarlHungus

12-23-2013 00:46:23 | More by vinny21bal
Thorpe429

3.28/5  rDev -15%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a golden color with quite a bit of haze and a thin white head. Interesting nose with grain and some light fruits. Hints of alcohol. Taste is light fruit and grain, going along with a creamy mouthfeel with slight booze. An interesting idea, but not all that good.

11-03-2010 22:21:00 | More by Thorpe429
mjpolzin

Wisconsin

3.33/5  rDev -13.7%

This was just a very standard beer to me, nothing special.

The color and smell were pretty average. An orange golden color that could have been any of hundreds of beers out there. The smell was about what you'd think a bock would smell like.

When I took a sip, I was expecting something more to kick in; maybe a little more bitterness, maybe some sweetness (because I saw people reference a sweetness in other reviews) but there was nothing there.

If I did have to say one positive about this beer, the 7.8 abv is well hidden and the beer does go down rather smooth so if you were in the mood to polish off 3 or 4 of these and get a nice little buzz going; this beer would work. There are times I am looking for that but on this particular Friday night, I wanted something good to sip and enjoy and it just didn't do it for me.

EDIT-I have held onto a few bottles of this for a few months now and after having one tonight, I noticed more booziness than the last time I had one. I don't know if just a few months is enough to bring out characteristics from cellaring it but it was for sure packed more of a punch than the last time I had it. Another factor was that right before I drank this tonight, I had two lesser alcohol beers so it may have made this one seem more boozy.

04-02-2011 02:24:40 | More by mjpolzin
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.33/5  rDev -13.7%

Lacquered, brassy orange with butterscotch trim. The soft, ecru colored cap is strangely small and is essentially featureless. It deflates way too quickly and, in the process, leaves the glass untouched by lace. The beer itself looks good, but that's the extent of it. Not an especially good start.

The nose is far from world-class, either in terms of intensity or personality. It's malt dominant, as it should be, with a disturbing lack of complexity or even a token amount of hoppiness. So far, it's hard to believe that Capital is responsible for this big lager.

Blonde makes a comeback of sorts on the palate. It's a decent blonde doppelbock, maibock, helles bock... whatever your term of preference is. Still though, I'm amazed at the lack of the slightest bit of depth or complexity. Even a token amount of spicy German hoppiness would help immensely. The finish is somewhat bitter, but it's a bitterness that is divorced from even a modicum of hop flavor.

The flavor profile improves a fraction with warming, but not enough to warrant any real praise. At least the body/mouthfeel up to the task at hand. It's medium-full and delivers an impressive smooth silkiness that all well-constructed, high gravity lagers seem to possess.

Blonde Doppelbock isn't the beer that I'd hoped it would be. This brewery appears to take pride in their bocks since they brew six of them at various times of the year. Even though this one falls well short of expectations, I'm still excited about trying the four Capital bocks that I haven't yet had. I just hope they're better than the beer I just finished.

10-27-2006 15:45:06 | More by BuckeyeNation
u2carew

3.35/5  rDev -13.2%

12oz long neck. Consumed 1/19/10

A) Pours with a quick settling one finger head. The head dissapates to nearly nothing, leaving an also nearly nothing lacing. Clear body. Light upward carbonation. Amber in color or maybe it's strawberry blonde.
S) Notes of caramel. Light raisin.
T) Caramel and toffee - very boldly. Mellow sweet nuttiness. Hints of alcohol - a light effervescence in the end with an alcohol bite. Also in the mix dry grain, mild earthiness.
M) Somewhat smooth, although the body is a bit flat. Medium body. A tweek of syrupy feel.
D) A decent brew, but not one that is a stand out.

01-20-2010 01:36:47 | More by u2carew