U.S. Pale Ale - Capital Brewery

U.S. Pale AleU.S. Pale Ale

Capital Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: sweethome on 06-22-2007)
2.9/5  rDev -13.4%

Twelve years later and I am still alive, kicking and receiving a pension from Uncle Sugar, courtesy of 15.25 years of honorable service in his Canoe Club! Howzat skew your tables, you actuarians? Why do I mention my time in the U.S. Navy?, you ask. Because they radicalized me in ways I could never imagined as a 17 y/o kid, including putting more weapons in my hands than most people even know of.

From the CAN: "Hops with an Ameri[CAN] accent."; "Disarmingly drinkable." No beer will ever disarm this citizen! They will disarm me when they pry the weapon from my cold, dead fingers.

Wow, I love a beer that CANnot be CANtained! Following the Crack, I had beer foaming out, forcing a quicker Glug than I usually prefer. I got just a finger of foamy, rocky, bone-white head before it dissipated into the ether. Nice lacing, though. Color was a slightly hazy orangish-amber. Nose had a definite citrus-hop bite. My mouth began to water. Mouthfeel was medium and the hops were there, but not disarmingly so. I was frankly a little disappointed. Maybe Capital should stick to their strength - lagers. Finish was powdery in terms of the hops and their bitterness, almost like it was saturated in being dry-hopped. I'd like to like this, but no soap.

woodychandler, Oct 31, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +8.4%

Thanks to resi for the trade.Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a caramel color with a 1 inch head. Smell is mostly of hops, a bit of sweetness. Taste is a good balance of hops and malts, a touch sweet, a tad bitter. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has good drinkability.Overall this is a good quality beer.

tone77, Oct 23, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -17%

Thanks Kegatron! Poured from a 12oz can into a tumbler at 45F.

Pours a nice chill hazed bright orange, I like how neon it is... Off-white two finger head with a kind of rough and tumble look to it. Good retention and good lacing.

A good deal of citrus is present in the aroma, mostly a lemony zing which has been missing from many of the hoppy beers I've had lately... I wonder which hops they're using. Some orange and grapefruit are here too, along with a bunch of caramel in back.

Taste starts off nice, with the citrus right up front with a zingy amount of lemon, lime, orange, and grapefruit all well in balance. Unfortunately after this pleasant profile abruptly ends, a gigantic caramel flavor washes over and finishes very buttery and astringent, almost like a butter rum lifesaver.

Mouthfeel is a little airy for me, it just feels like it isn't oily enough to me or something, and is slightly abrasive instead of soothing.

The session started off well enough until I put the beer into my mouth. It's not bad, but it's not too good either. Alcohol wasn't really present in any way but the astringent caramel and butteryness wore on me.

Bubba83, Sep 22, 2010
3.58/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from a can into a snifter, thank you Heath for the chance to try this. This brew appears a clear orange color with 2 fingers of stained head that looks a certain shade of orange about it as well. The head receeds leaving spotty lace about the glassware.

The aroma of this brew is a little sweet with a mixed scent of caramel-like malt and fruity/floral smelling hops. The more whiffs I take the more the malt starts to come across a bit toasted and the hops give way to a more spiced and almost peppery character.

Taking a sip, the hops pour across the tongue with a mild herbal bitterness that is spicey in a peppery sort of way just like the aroma indicated. The malt backing is pretty solid with a flavor of toasted malt that compliments the herbal character of the hops. Quite a dry finishing pale despite the lingering toasty flavor of the malt. As it warms some of that 5% abv starts to become noticeable and mingles well with the malt/hop combo.

This is a medium to light bodied brew with a modest level of carbonation. The toasty quality of the malt coupled with a spicey flavor of hops that I am not use to made for an interesting experience with this offering. Not bad.

stakem, Sep 10, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -6.6%

A: Light amber in color, minor spotting along the interior of the glass, medium head with decent retention - 3.50, S: Soft bubble gum nose - similar to Hubba Bubba with a mild citrus perhaps a tangerine aroma, malts provide a light toastiness to the smell - 3.75, T: Mild but noticeable hop bite, very slight grapefruit flavors, some clean malt flavors, pretty standard APA - 3.00, M: Light bodied and kind of thin mouth feel - 2.75, D: A basic APA that would benefit from an additional dose of hops, quite drinkable but doesn't really stand out - 3.00

deereless, Jul 14, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured into my pint glass the beer is crystal clear golden yellow. About a finger of stark white head. A modest ring of lace is left behind.

The aroma is lifht citrus fruit and a heavy dose of pale malt. The malt is a bit stronger than the hops. A touch skunky.

The flavor is tame citrus hops and loads of malt. A wheat cracker finish ronds things out.

Medium to light body. Average carbonation.

Overall a decent pale ale that is very drinkable.

beerwolf77, Jul 05, 2010
3.6/5  rDev +7.5%

The bottle of U.S. Pale Ale poured a golden yellow into my pint glass with a 1/2 inch white head that left lots of lacing in my glass. I would have been more impressed with the looks of this if it were a lager. This seems to be too light of a color for a pale ale.

The smell was of citrus fruit and some caramel. the taste has some citrus hops and a bit of biscuity malt in the background for balance. All of the flavors, the hops in particular, are mild and mellow. Some of the right flavors are there, they aren't nearly as assertive as in most other pale ales that I have tried.

The mouthfeel was rather thin for a pale ale. Rather watery. Thaat being said, this ale is pretty easygoing and drinking a few of these would be no problem as long as I am in the mood for something that seems to be a cross between a pale ale and a lager. Those looking for hoppy pale ales need to look elsewhere.

Ottertude, Jul 03, 2010
3.55/5  rDev +6%

12oz can poured into SA perfect pint.

A- Pours a crystal clear golden yellow. A decent finger and a half worth of head that leaves no lacing on the side of the glass.

S- A nice bit of citrus hops balanced nicely with a good malt presence. Some grassy notes and a hint of sweetness.

T- The hops are not super strong but they give a nice little kick. Mostly citrus and some orange. A pretty good malt backbone that makes this a pretty balanced beer. A slight bready taste rounds this one out.

M- A little bit on the watery side, so lighter bodied but has a nice little hop bite and a bunch of carbonation that tickles the tongue.

D- I was able to test out the drinkability first hand this weekend at a Brewers game. This beer is great for a hot summers day and since it comes in cans, you can take them anywhere. Good flavor and a low ABV makes this a good tailgating beer.

Wisconsinality, Jun 01, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -15.5%

12 oz. bottle, no freshness date

A - Slightly hazy medium-gold. A hard pour forms a fleeting half-finger of eggshell head. Lace starts to form, but is pretty much stillborn after a few sips.

S - Vague hops that lean citrusy. Bare hint of dried apricot. Severely toned down.

T - Terse citrus hop note with a bit of watered down malt. Bitterness in the swallow hardly even qualifies as modest. Finishes dry, with ghostlike dried apricot.

M - Leans watery, with moderate carbonation.

D - A generic, lawnmower "pale ale" that is obviously aimed at converting the Leinenkugel's crowd. Palatable, but not something I would seek out again unless it was cheap.

association330, Apr 01, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +11.9%

The beer pours an amber tinged golden hue with a wispy head and decent retention. Fruit, apricot among others, in the nose along with a distinct citrus character from the hops.

A strong presence of the fruit in the flavor. There is nothing special about, it just happens to be there. The fruit pervades the entire experience, leaving an overall sweetness. Toward the end, citrus from the hops begins to mix in.

This beer is a bit rough around the edges. I would like to see less apricot in the malt, and a little boost to hops.

BeardedBoffin, Feb 15, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -11.9%

Thanks for mnwags for hookin' a brutha up!

Big bountiful head, bone-white and holding steady while lots of bubbles rush to it. Lace clings like sea foam to the sides. Color is sunny copper. It's nice and looks the part.

Aroma features hops that lean very much on the fruity side, some citrus zest but also apple and a distinct peach smell. Almost like Magic Hat's #9 in the nose. Not a lot of malt backup detected on the sniff, just a mild doughy scent, like shortbread.

Flavor is simplicity incarnate: fruity hops; kiss of doughy malt; light mineral flash. Adequate hop bitterness in the finish, nothing blaring or over-the-top. There's nothing at all wrong with simplicity of course--this just doesn't impress and I can't find much more to say about the flavor.

Mouthfeel is about as ho-hum as the flavor. Remarkably thin, bordering on watery. Not even the ample carbonation can save it.

I had Capital's Autumnal Fire on tap at Chicago's Map Room a couple years back and it was exceptional. This is not. It's not even "disarmingly drinkable," as the label claims, as it falls short where it matters most (taste/flavor). Here's another label claim: "Hops with an American accent." That would be a neutral midwest accent (I can say that, I'm from the midwest and have a neutral accent). Yet another label claim: "America's #1 Rated Brewery," which begs the question "Rated by Whom?" Of course, I would jump at any chance to have their Autumnal Fire again.

Metalmonk, Feb 02, 2010
3.6/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a slightly hazy, pale golden color with a pillowy, frothy, off-white head. The nose is a mixture of malty notes - light caramel and subtle toasted malt - as well as hints of citric hops. The taste is similar with the toasty caramel malt taking center stage and the citrus hops playing backup. Pretty well balanced, starts out slightly malty sweet and finishes with just a touch of hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is on the light side and the carbonation while not aggressive, adds to the overall thickness of the brew. Overall a drinkable beer, sessionable for sure but not really memorable.

gmfessen, Dec 20, 2009
2.55/5  rDev -23.9%

Saw this can at Siciliano's and thought I'd give it a go.

A- Lighter, clear straw color. White head rises to about a 1/2 inch and then dissipates instantly. This beer almost looks like a lager.

S- The head dissapeared so fast I barely got my nose in there before it was gone. I don't get a lot, a little breadiness and a small hop tone.
Kinda sad after having a few aromatic pale's lately.

T- The taste is a little off. The beer is very underwhelming. I get a small amount of hop with a light biscuity taste. *Sigh* Capital, my first introduction isn't so nice. It tastes like something AB would make. There is only the slightest bite.

M- Very smooth, very drinkable, very...unremarkable. On the can it says "Disarmingly drinkable", and it tastes like they are trying to be the Bud Light of pale ales.

D- Yeah, you could have a few of these and not know any better.

Capital, I am so sorry. I will have to give this one another go. I heard great things and I think I got a bad can, so my score will reflect that until I taste better.

Pedro07, Nov 03, 2009
3.03/5  rDev -9.6%

my first capital brew (well...had the rest of the six pack the other night). i realize that i haven't consumed an APA in awhile, so i am fearful that my standards thereof might have been skewed by heartier drink

very light in color--amber-hued gold--with HUGE bubbles (never seen 'em like this) that reinforce a strong head

cascade aromas with a touch of sweetness

really not all that flavorful. water and hop, with a touch of malt. bitterness is shortlived. mouthfeel is ok

a somewhat average APA

bruachan, Oct 09, 2009
3.45/5  rDev +3%

Appearance: Slightly hazy yellow body (a tinge of orange) with a thin white bubbly head that sticks around for a bit. Not bad for an APA, but I usually expect a bit more red.

Smell: Pale maltiness, piney citrus hops.

Taste: Much like the aroma, a strong citrus flavor with a hint of dry piney hops on the finish and a dry aftertaste. This is better when it's a bit colder. Almost reminds me of a lager at times.

Mouthfeel: Thin body, heavy hops, moderate carbonation. Actually quite pleasant.

Drinkability: This is a bog-standard APA. Worth drinking, but nothing special.

danielharper, Oct 06, 2009
3.53/5  rDev +5.4%

A clear pale golden color pour with a small white head that quickly fades, medium carbonation . Aroma is light floral hops and a hint of citrus . Flavor is much the same as the aroma , a little malt up front with a citrusy hop profile, lightly yeasty , well balanced for a APA but lite on the bittreness . Light body with a clean , but slightly oily mouthfeel . A slightly hoppy peppery finish . Quite sessionable and a pretty good try .

WakeandBake, Sep 11, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a clear, golden/copper color. 1/2 inch head of a white color. Good retention and good lacing. Smells of hop, pale malt, and pine. Fits the style of an American Pale Ale. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of hops, pine, and slight sweet malt. Overall, a decent brew with a decent aroma, but slightly watery mouth feel.

Tone, Aug 21, 2009
3.6/5  rDev +7.5%

A- An extremely clear light orange liquid with a sad, loose white head that leaves excellent lacing.

S- Toasted malts and grassy hops. There is a touch of fruitiness in there as well.

T- Same as the aroma with an earthy aspect to it as well. More bitter and sweet than the aroma led me to believe.

M- A nice amount of carbonation gives this a nice, crisp appeal.

D- A decent beer, but there are better options out there. The can option is nice, but I think I would rather go for a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

david131, Aug 20, 2009
3.38/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from a bottle into a glass stein, with a wide mouth to enjoy the aroma.
A: The head erupted and remained for an extended period of time. The beer was a light amber color, but the lacing was minimal.

S: There was an malt and fruit smell, with a definite grainy presence that I was not expecting. It was almost spicy too.

T: The sharp bite of the hops was the most noticeable feature, leaving behind a dry sensation that left very little aftertaste. After the smell of the fruit I was expecting a sweetness that never showed itself.

M: Smooth at first but the dryness was unmistakeable, plus I don't think there was enough carbonation by the end of the tasting.

D: The bitterness surprised me when I was looking for a balance of sweetness that never occurred.
The description on the bottle says "Disarmingly Drinkable" but I would have to disagree. The dryness whould be reserved for a beverage more suited for sipping instead of this brew.

chetripley, Aug 06, 2009
3.58/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a glass beer mug.

The beer poured a clear, medium amber color with a thick white head. The head was slow to recede, and swirling produced a moderate amount of soapy-looking lacing.

The aroma was a very citrus, lemony smell with some underlying malts. There was also something vaguely flowery there, but I found the lemony smell was the strongest.

The mouthfeel was a little thin, almost to the point of feeling like a light beer.

The taste started vaguely sweet, but that was immediately lost to a minor hops presence. It finished with a taste that reminded me of eating orange rinds. The lemony flavor lasted for a while after the hops bitterness faded.

A decent summer beer. An easily drinkable, refreshing kind of beer, but I can see it disappointing the hop heads out there.

DeeMented, Aug 01, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -4.5%

I was excited to find a new pale ale to try.. and from Wisconsin to boot..
I poured the 12 oz can into a pint glass..
it smelled fairly promising maybe a little light.. slightly citrus, indicating that hops were indeed present.. the first sip was reassuring.. not bad very good feel and not bad taste.. but as I continued to drink it it just tasted more and more flat to me.. it tasted kind of unbalanced.. with some caramel syrup like flavors against a not so robust hop background. Something just tastes a little bit off with this beer- i wish it was a little more crisp.. its like a watered down hop taste to me.. I find it good but dissapointing.. I would drink it if I had no other option.. but I am not excited by it.

mcdevster, Jul 10, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +17.9%

pours a clear bright golden orange with a 2 finger white head that leaves no lacing

smell is of very spicy hops and some sweet malts

taste is much of the same peppery spicy hops and sweet carmel malts on the end - a very different apa then most - reminds me of some anderson valley beers

mouthfeel is light with good carbonation with a very dry finish

drinkability is good and it breaks from normal APA flavors which makes me wish i had more then just this single bottle

jsh420, Jun 28, 2009
3.6/5  rDev +7.5%

I'm up late moving the sprinklers around.. Might as well have another brew.. This is another Capital Can picked up from Czoch75 in the Fight Club Project Mayhem BIF.. Thanks Clint for the beating... it was a good beating. :-)

Poured into my shaped SA glass.. Almost no real head atop a crystal clear orange brew.. a lite cap stick around for the entire glass.

Aroma is a lite mashup of spicy and even lighter citric hops.. some mild background caramel malts help..

Flavor mirrors the palate with a touch of toasty malt... but again it sorta seems limp... more malts than hops cover the mild American hops.. come on... I want more.. very drinkable.. but I want a bit more everything.

I would definitely pick this up if it was available.. but only for BBQ's and camping trips... I want more ...

3.5/3/3.5/3.5/4.5

Edit: Notes from back in July '07 show I had a flaccid APA back then too.. Capital is one of the Mecca's BA's should try and seek out.. but not for their ale's .. prove me wrong.. come on.. I dare you.. prove me wrong!!

JohnGalt1, Jun 23, 2009
3.1/5  rDev -7.5%

A: Pours a golden straw color. about a 1/2 inch of foamy head with a little bit of lacing.

S: Not a whole lot going on here. Some malts and some hops, but very nondescript.

T: Seltzer water, biscuity malts on the front with a respectable amount of bittering hops on the rear end.

M: Light bodied with medium carbonation. Off-dry. Cleansing.

D: The bottle indicates this beer is "Disarmingly Drinkable" and I would have to agree. This is a session beer all the way. Really just doesn't have all that much character, but there is enough flavor to prevent the beer from being boring.

Florida9, Apr 23, 2009
3.35/5  rDev 0%

Pours to a golden lager-type color with thin skim of a white head that lingered shortly and left little lacing. Aroma was faint lemony citrus with just a hint of hops. Mouthfeel was a slight tingle-slight skunk mix, and the taste was a continuation of the citrus fruit found in the nose. Rounded off to a finish that was dry, a shade bitter and a little skunky.

Not much to this one.