Capital Dark - Capital Brewery

Wisconsin, United States

Munich Dunkel Lager |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Soneast on 08-02-2009

3.83/5  rDev +1.9%

Munich Dark is a beer brewed in the dunkel style. A very nice domestic interpretation of the style. The beer pours a deep brown with reddish tints a nice soft white head forms leaving nice lacing as it reduces. The aroma is a slight sweet maltiness, no real toasted malt aromas or hop notes. The taste is mild, clean and slightly malty, some rich undertones from the darked malts are noted, but they are smooth, not biting. Likewise, the hop bitterness is only noticeable in the finish. The mouthfeel is a bit light and watery, but nonetheless this is a very nice beer. (569 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +15.7%

It poured a dark molasses with a stark white two finger head that left lacing behind as it broke-down.

A nice mellow smell of roasted malt.

A nice up front taste of roasted malt which is followed up by a nice lite hop finish. Mellow and balanced. It was lite bodied but not watery.

It was nice, very tasty. Refreshing. I could drink this all night. (352 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -9%

Pours a light chestnut brown with a thin light tan head that disappears quickly. Light cocoa aroma with a grassy hop note in the background. A simple straightforward dunkel with decent malt body and just enough hops to not be unbalanced. A medium-light body appropriate for the style. There is certainly nothing in this beer to quickly sate you, but it doesn't do enough that is interesting to make each fresh serving an adventure. (431 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +1.3%

Nicely carbonated auburn brown colored beer with an off white head. Malty aroma with an estery yeast finish which is almost bock-like. The flavor is nice, roasted malt to toasted bread, with solid bitterness. The beer is creamy smooth and then finishes clean with a little astringency on the tongue. This beer is versatile, I could enjoy it with lunch, at a tailgate, or at the bar. (382 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance: A dark brown that reminds me of Fender's tobacco-burst design when it catches the light, albeit with more ruby hues. Low/medium viscosity, with medium visibility. Poured without a head, and very little lacing, though I suspect this had to do with the frosty glass provided by the establishment.

Aroma: Fairly clean and refreshing, with only light espresso notes. A little more chocolate malt development as it warms.

Taste: Clean, refreshing, and again light on the development. Espresso and cocoa notes from the malts, and a slightly sweet finish that develops as the beer warms. Low on the bitters.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, with low carbonation. Clean, crisp coffee finish.

Drinkability: While this beer isn't light on flavor, it doesn't develop much by way of complexity. But as far as the style goes, this is a good rendition. The finish is perfect, and the flavors are balanced. I could certainly drink a lot of this, and appreciate the understated character (against more heavily engineered attempts at dark lagers). (1,040 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +12.2%

Mahogany coloring with slight head which quickly dissipates. Traces of lacing.

Roasted malt gives off a clean and pleasant aroma.

Taste follows characteristics of smell but to a slightly lesser degree.

Good mouthfeel characterizing a beer that is very harmonious. Lasts long enough in the mouth to savor until the next sip.

Very good drinkability combining all the ingredients necessary. Do not disappoint and serve this beer too cold as I did with my first one. It really opens up when served at 50 degrees or warmer. (530 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -13.6%

Looks like cola and has a poor white head. Smells are faint, but I get a tiny bit of apples and caramel or chocolate malts. Flavors are mainly malts (caramel and very very slight chocolate), hops are very faint, but there are also some sour or cidery flavors. Mouthfeel is on the heavy side of thin, and there is a bit of astringency. I can pretty fairly say this is the worst Capital beer I've had, as nearly every aspect of this beer is a little bit lacking in some way. (472 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours a deep amber color. Smells of raisins. Tastes is very malty, with very little hops. Raisin appears again. Mouthfeel's pretty smooth.

Overall, this is a tasty beer. Nothing super special, just a nice, easy drinking malty lager. This'll definitely make a return visit to my fridge. (288 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -8.2%

Appears dark amber capped with a thick froth that lingers only briefly, yet leaves a nice ring around the edge of the glass.

Aroma dominated by sweet toasted malts and not much else, but it doesn't need much else.

Flavor is somewhat out of balance and lacking complexity. Also has a somewhat astringent finish from a little too much roasted malt. I notice some esters in this too that are more characteristic of ales than lagers.

Mouthfeel is thin and doesn't live up to the expectations set-up by the hefty aroma.

This is an OK beer, but not a session brew. For a dark lager, it goes down rather easily, but still I can't drink more than one at a time. (665 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +17%

This is a wonderful dunkel. Great brown color. Wonderful malt flavors that aren't overpowering. Has a great creamy quality. Munich malt really shines through. Roasted character and mild sweetness, then the hops hit you in the finish. This has great drinkability, and would make a decent session beer. (300 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +18.6%

12 oz bottle into a pils glass.

This beer is everything a Munich Dark should be, matching the quality of the best imported versions I've had with the freshness of a local offering. The presentation is perfect and the all-important lager drinkability is on target. The mix of coffee/chocolate/munich malt in the flavor is delicately offset by the sharp hop edge.

The nose could be a little stronger and the carbonation is a little higher than I expected -- I think that may be why my impression only improved as the beer warmed / rested. Overall great beer that will serve well as a good sessionable/easy drinking brew. (621 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Raisin brown to purplish red in color. Off white head with medium lacing.

S: Sweet malts and roasty notes.

T: Nose is malts to be sure then the middle brings in the robust character of the body. But in style, the finish is light and easy to drink.

M: coffeeish feeling on the tongue with a watery feel in the throat.

D: Good beer to go back to back with, refreshingly light in taste but with a quality that is savory. (424 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +3.2%

Smooth film of almost microscopic bubbles in the tannish yellow seems to almost promise the smooth, full body that will follow. Ditto, the cloudy, very dark brown, red/brown hue. Promise is kept, as a wash of slightly sugary malt, bannana, and clove pushes a wave of sweet alcoholic vapors up into my nasal cavities. "Noble hops." I swear to God, I was thinking this after my first draught, and before I looked up the description of "Munich Dunkel Lager," which confirmed that they are often a compoment of this style, Quite a lot of similarities between pub ales & brown ales I've had. I would not have believed a lager could be so complex! Capital beer! (heh heh) (665 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass
A pretty good dark beer. I like most dark beers and I'd take it over others but it's not one I'm going to get often.
Look is dark brown with a head that reduces to a cap and sticks around to the end.
Smell is pretty much roasted malt.
Taste is all bitter chocolate mellows a little as it warms. I don't really get anything else.
Feel very carbonated and medium body.
Drink a very drinkable beer I could easily down a 6 pack. (463 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +9.6%

Green label has the Capital Brewery monicur of the WI state capital.

Appearance: Small head, dark amber to brown color, opaqe.

Smell: Nice coffee and chocolate aromal.

Taste: Very good beer, with the chocolate/caramel/coffee flavors present and good. My only complaint is that I think the coffee flavor is a little bit strong, although overall a very good beer.

Mouthfeel: Smooth.

Drinkability: This is becoming my favorite style of beer and this is a great example, very drinkable. (497 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

First, I should say that I don't think I'm a big fan of Dunkel. I like Anglo-American style stouts and porter, but this dark lager didn't hit my mouth well. I prefer bitterness in the toasted malt itself rather than from the sharp hop finish.

That said, this beer has a beautiful color. Reddish dark amber, with a marvelously puffy tan head.

I think it tastes better as it warms to room temperature; the malt is tasty and bready. Vaguely sweet, but not too extreme in any direction flavor-wise. This malt balances out nicely as it warms. Extremely drinkable brew, just not one I would seek out. (596 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +14.4%

Friday my local store got the six-packs in stock and I couldn't wait to try it. Very nice dark amber appearance. Smelled very much like munich malt with hints of coffee. Tasted mostly like the munich malt. very smooth, dry. This could easily find its way back in my fridge. Its a knockout dark lager from one of my fav. local breweries. (336 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -8.2%

Capital Dork is alright and I'll enjoy the six pack recently purchase.

CD has a crisp mouthfeel, a distinct lager with a slightly sweet finish.

But I've got more to say about CD's packaging. First, the label on CD has an obvious circle that covers enough of the 'A' in Dark to make it look like 'Dork'. If you guys from Capital Brew are reading this then please pay attention. You don't have to tell me that I'm drinking the High Life to help my self esteem, but don't tell me that I'm drinking Dork Dark! In fact I rather admire the gothic font, just please move your logo somewhere else on the label.

Second, the style listed herein, on Beer Advocate, is a Dunkel. Some other lesser regarded, but more commercial site (I didn't say ratebeer here) said Dunkel too. CD is a bit too tight and malty to carry the description of Dunkel but CD retains some of the crisper flavors of Dunkel to warrant it more of its cousin; there's enough of a hint of Dunkel in CD to know its in the family, but it has different parents. Dork, or Dunkel, lets just say CD, is rather like a blend of Munich Lager with some Dunkel added. (1,119 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -9.3%

This is a dark red-black beer with a mild coffee ground and grape aroma. It's light bodied and fizzy with coffee, cherry, and cola, with a nice hint of hops at the end. It goes down very easy, which might be the best thing for a dark lager. It doesn't have anything to bring me back, though. (291 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +2.7%

I liked this one, it was very malty and had a strong roasted flavor to it. It's a nice chocolate brown with a light head that's off white. The smell was unremarkable, giving more of the lager aroma than any hops or malts. Mouthfeel is full, but you know that it's not a stout or something that demands to be chewed. I'd drink a few more of these. (If I had them, and sadly, I don't. :( ) (387 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +4.8%

Had on tap at the brewery.

Was a dark brown somewhat trasnlucent, small head slight lacing.

Malty aroma, a preview of what is to come.

Malty, slight sweet dried fruit with a bite, enough of a bite to make in interesting. Medium carbonation that went well with the taste. Taste became fuller as it warmed which I suppose makes sense.

Pleasent on the tongue, and very easy going down. I was thinking I could drink alot of these. (430 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +7.2%

A very nice dark lager, which, IMHO, there are not nearly enough.

Pours a beautiful dark amberish with a great head on it that hangs around a long time and laces nicely. The aroma is fairly innocuous, but the flavor is subtle and delicious: Smooth would be a word I'd use to describe this to those afraid of dark lagers. It leaves a nice sweet aftertaste that doesn't conflict with the original drinking.

You could easily pound back several of these before you realized you'd done so. A great beer for a cool fall day. (520 characters)

3.76/5  rDev 0%

Poured a mahogany with red edges and even a few traces of amber at the bottom. Head was about 1 finger on an aggressive pour and became very thin, but consistant thereafter. Lacing was noted, but not a great deal.

The smell was somewhat faint, but was lightly smoky with stronger burnt coffee suggestions.

The taste was of caramel with coffee notes, malty. Left a noticable and pleasant aftertaste.

Slightly thin mouthfeel, but not watery in any way. A drinkable beer, suitable more for October or March (in Minnesota). (528 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +0.3%

First impression: I love the color of this beer.

The smell is malty and rich. Really nice in my tulip glass

The mouthfeel is kinda thin but the taste is bigger. I can see why they went ahead and put "Munich" in the name- this a beer that would fit seamlessly at any German bar.

My overall impression is that this is good enough to drink in most instances and I'd recommend it to anyone. However, it isn't very daring or unique, so it's not worth going out of your way to seek out. If you stumble upon it and want a good German-style beer, pick it up! (553 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +14.4%

Appearance: Pours a deep, dark brown with a good head. Wonderful lacing.

Aroma: The aroma really blossoms as it sits a couple minutes. Deep and malty, hints of raisin.

Flavor: Very malt forward beer with subtle hop balance. Raisin and plum fruitiness balance a pleasant bitterness. Lingering finish.

Mouthfeel: Clean, medium bodied beer. Goes down easy and before you know it, you're ready for the next sip.

We had the pleasure of meeting head brewer Kirby Nelson at Steve's Liqours, where he was promoting some winter beers and offering tastings. He's a fantastically nice fellow, and a Zappa fan (he names all their fermenters after Zappa songs - pics coming). Having studied with a German lager master, this beer definitely plays to Kirby's strong points. Highly recommended. (782 characters)

Capital Dark from Capital Brewery