Eternal Flame - Capital Brewery

Doppelbock |  9.10% ABV

Beer added by: WastingFreetime on 10-05-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.12/5  rDev +4%

Most of the info I gleaned about this one comes from their official webpage on the beer, but the synopsis on this one is as follows:

This is their 25th anniversary celebration beer, more specifically the first rendition (2011 vintage) of it, because the future plans are to set aside about 60 barrels worth of this brew each year for blending with a new, different doppelbock recipe and than bottling, releasing to the market but also setting aside 60 barrels worth of the new blend, re-lagering, and repeating the process yearly. I vaguely recall such a thing might be called "vertical brewing"...

So basically, this will be a vintage beer, theoretically each year being a mutation based off the previous year. And so now we come to the "birth beer" as they have christened it over at Capitol Brewery...it is a blend of Autumnal Fire and something new they called "Imperial Fire" that was ramped up with candi sugar.

Pours out jewel-clear red-tinged amber with perky carbonation, a two finger fluffy white head that dissolved in about three minutes but did not leave behind any lacing... The body seems slightly thinner than the Autumnal Fire, and in retrospect is the most off-putting aspect of the brew that I could nitpick at...but only as a minor nitpick, mind you. Smells of faint plums floating over the top of a swaggering flurry of brown and candi sugared oktoberfest malt scent that doesn't smell as alcoholic as you think it would, what with being 9.1% ABV and all. No, instead, I just get that ABV dealt to me as a slowly rising lingering warmth in the back end of the sip, just how I like my high ABV brews to treat their boozey aspects! And speaking of taste, this is a rather well crafted malt bomb, it comes across to the palate as sort of a 'streamlined / deconstructed Autumnal Fire' in which (by objective comparison to my memory of Autumnal Fire) the bready flavors are muted but the aspects of vinous / sherry notes are amplified, with an exciting leathery accent that I fervently hope will amplify with cellaring. (One can only hope.)

Now realize that one year from now, the next mutated vintage will have been released. Let's try to keep all our reviews of this one as it changes underneath this entry so that we can keep the database nice and clean and tidy, OK? (Just mention what year its from in the future reviews)

We are going to be lucky enough to witness beer-volution as it happens, and I for one am excited to see what will come out of this delicious experiment. (2,500 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last