Eternal Flame - Capital Brewery

Eternal FlameEternal Flame

Capital Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Doppelbock |  9.10% ABV

(Beer added by: WastingFreetime on 10-05-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Beefytits4

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

03-10-2012 23:44:58 | More by Beefytits4
beagle75

3.6/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a half-pint chalice.

A: Clear, medium amber color with a peripheral crescent moon of off-white bubbles. Light lacing remains and sheets of fine bubbles rise along the walls of the glass.

S: Spirituous toffee from the large malt contribution is further enriched by the lofty bready backbone. No alcohol is detected.

T: Begins fairly sweet, with soft syrupy caramel that is refined to the point of understatement. Acidity is mild into the middle where dynamic spirituous qualities begin to take shape. Flavors turn boozy in the finish, but not off-putting.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, slightly syrupy on the palate where alcohol warmth is appropriate, with low carbonation.

D/O: Refinement seeps from the pores of this beer, its simultaneous smoothness and heady alcohol qualities make it effortless to slowly sip. If anything it becomes too subdued, although such a comment seems a little unfair for a lager, even if it is a strong lager.

03-08-2012 16:33:09 | More by beagle75
MadTownDrinker

02-19-2012 16:35:04 | More by MadTownDrinker
kjkinsey

02-04-2012 00:50:29 | More by kjkinsey
mariposafan

3.3/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Bright auburn with just skiff of head and that dies almost immediately.

What aroma there is is fine but there just isn't much there. What I can make out is sweet and caramely but that's about all I can say about it.

The flavor is drier than I expected but that's not a bad thing. Some caramel or toffee in there along with some bitter orange. Mostly, though, it's a little watery and non-descript - odd considering its parentage.

The mouthfeel is very nice. If there were more flavor the carbonation would cut through it just fine. The alcohol does a little drying but not badly.

Overall, nothing special. Certainly nothing as nice as Autumnal Fire! I'd pass on this one if it were offered again.

01-01-2012 21:32:37 | More by mariposafan
sjstraub

12-19-2011 03:33:58 | More by sjstraub
jsh420

3.78/5  rDev -3.6%

pours clear burnt orange with a small 1/2 finger head that faded to a film and left no lacing

smells of boozy apples caramel toffee nutty malt

taste is just like the nose but the i think the booze is a little too much and over shines the malts that are not as rich as the other doppels capital makes - malts are less caramel and more bready

mouthfeel medium light body - over carb boozey bite without a dry finish is not smooth and not good

overall - big let down after from capital maybe 6months will help - good thing Autumnal Fire is still on the shelf and Blonde Doppelbock will be out soon enough

12-07-2011 05:05:42 | More by jsh420
scaliasux

4.72/5  rDev +20.4%

Appearance - Medium copper-amber. Opaque. Thin just off-white head.

Smell - Very rich malt. Caramel and dark fruit, prunes or raisins. A hint of alcohol.

Taste - Sweet rich malt. Fruity - prune or raisin character quite prominent - and some brown sugar or molasses. Clearly quite a bit of alcohol.

Mouthfeel - Medium. Smooth.

Overall - Fantastic, a perfect beer for slow sipping on a late autumn evening.

12-07-2011 03:36:56 | More by scaliasux

nsmartell

11-15-2011 12:03:45 | More by nsmartell
steveh

3.8/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Wasn't sure I'd find this south of the Cheddar Curtain, but there it was -- in an out-of-the-way store -- just hadda.

A -- A clear, copper-amber color with a very dense, firm, light tan head.

S -- Bready, yeastiness up front with some light caramel back and some peppery alcohol peeking through. Even some light earthiness back. Even some mild spicy hops back.

T -- Rich, sweet, almost buttery - without being diacetyl, character up front. Mildly spicy hops in the end, and very, very peppery alcohol in the finish.

M -- Mouthfeel is soft and creamy with a full body and very dry finish.

O -- Okay, I really want to like this beer, but it's almost over-attenuated to the point that all the flavor is fleeting and you're left with a very dry finish that is sort of flat and characterless. I may have to try another (on a different night) and possibly revisit my review, but I honestly think I like the regular Autumnal Fire best.

11-09-2011 22:26:13 | More by steveh
Bighuge

4.58/5  rDev +16.8%

Fiery scarlet red hue to this one. Thin beige head. Minimal lace. Huge rich malty nose. Caramel and toffee explode in rich wafts of beer goodnes. Smooth velvety mouthfeel with rich flavors of malt....crystal/caramel based malts....double decocted malt goodness. Similar to the Autumnal Fire, but different in a way. Hard to place a finger on it but to try maybe a little more candy like presence in the sweetness. Very good dopplbock. Looking forward to future creations from this base beer. Alcohol is barely perceptible.

11-04-2011 03:47:31 | More by Bighuge
Strix

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

Beautiful clear orange, decent head, but didn't stay long.

Smells sweet and malty, big Oktoberfest-type smell, I'm also getting pumpkin pie for whatever reason.

Huge sweet malt flavor, with caramel, cherry, vanilla, bourbon, wood, and mint. Complex and tasty.

Medium-thin mouthfeel, but it works nicely here.

This was very drinkable (wouldn't have guessed 9%) and very flavorful. All Capital's big bocks blur together in my mind, but they are all quite tasty. It will be interesting to see what this series produces down the road.

10-29-2011 03:41:22 | More by Strix
jera1350

I like the concept of this beer and its future, but I have to admit, the future batches for this beer are a bit confusing. Let's see how this "birth" batch is.

Pours a coppery color with a thin yet creamy head of foam that leaves some acceptable lacing.

A nice malty sweetness is present in the nose along some spiciness and earthy hops. A touch of a vegetal aroma in there too.

Mirrors the nose pretty well. Malty sweetness, brown sugar, a little maple syrup. Spice and earthiness from the hops. A little warm alcohol comes through also.

Very smooth with soft carbonation. Maybe just a tad under carbonated. Dry finishing with some warmth from the alcohol.

I enjoyed this one. Nice drinkability and an excellent cool weather beer. It will interesting to see how the future of this beer will turn out.

10-23-2011 22:11:57 | More by jera1350
drpimento

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

Pretty good beer. With an aggressive pour I got a small off white head that quickly settled down to a ring and no lace. Color is a very lovely, clear, red orange amber with a couple of tiny bubble trails. Aroma is great upon opening with an immediate whiff of sweet malt. Out of the glass are also caramel, toffee, fruit, and a very slight hint of butterscotch. Flavor is similar to nose with an excellent balancing effect from carbonic tang and bittering hops. Body and carbonation are decent. Finish is like flavor with also a little banana, of good length, and some alcohol at the very end.

10-22-2011 23:16:08 | More by drpimento
bashiba

3.45/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured a nice clean and clear deep amber/red with a thin ring of off white head.

The smell is very bready and sweet with a big hit of brown sugar and molasses.

The flavors are sweet and malty with a bit of sourdough, toffee, and brown sugar all making appearances. Has a bit of a light minty bit of earthy hops in the finish, almost enough to bring back a little balance, but not quite.

The mouthfeel is thick and oily.

A decent doppelbock, maybe a bit syrupy and sweet, and not and improvement on the great autumnal fire, hopefully the future iterations are more interesting.

10-16-2011 00:26:37 | More by bashiba
daledeee

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

These guys love to make Doppelbocks. I think this is three kinds I have had.

I poured this and found it to have a nice clear auburn body with a very light tan head.

Immediately, I was overwhelmed with a really strong candy and syrup smell. Things calmed down a little and now it is a caramel and roasted malt nose. The head has left a little lace and a good ring around the side.

This is about 45F and about right. Taste is very strong with roasted malts and caramel and brandy. I also notice some fruits like apricot. This is a pretty sweet beer with an almost sticky mouth feel. As with the smell, things seemed to calm down a little after a few minutes in the glass. It ends up being a very balanced flavor and the mouth feel also improves. Somehow, the mouth feel turns out a little dry after all that up front sweetness in the beginning. I don't notice any alcohol up front. This is a pretty good representative of the style but one at a time is enough for me. A couple German examples make it difficult for me to put this in the same league, but it is still a good offering.

10-15-2011 22:49:45 | More by daledeee
adman08

4.18/5  rDev +6.6%

A-Pours clear copper color with a very small amount of head that fades quickly.
S-The aromas are fairly strong and complex. The initial smells were very sweet and fruity but as the beer gets some air a very strong aroma of vanilla is apparent. There is still some slight cherry aroma and some alcohol.
T-Initial flavor is very sweet and fruity but as with the aroma this changes quickly to flavors of primarily vanilla with some cherry sweetness, strong alcohol, slight toasted malt and finishes with just a hint of bitterness and caramel.
M-Thick with very light carbonation, slightly sticky. Starts very sweet and finishes slightly dry.
Overall, I really enjoy this beer. I love the sweetness, I love the smooth vanilla flavor and aroma. I think it's a very good dopplebock and possibly the best beer I've ever had from Capital, Eisphyre being my other favorite.

10-13-2011 02:44:15 | More by adman08
mjpolzin

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

So I think if I had to rank them in order of best to worst it would be...1. Autumnal Fire 2. Eternal Flame 3. Eisphyre since they are all similar beers and Capital even markets the fact that they are. We will see if my scores reflect that once this one is plugged into my profile.

On a side note, some of my buddies criticize Capital for all of the beers tasting basically the same. I can see some validity in what they say as I do have a hard time differentiating between some of their beers but I like the taste of most of them and like I said above, in this case, they market the fact that the three in the "fire" series are all similar. I fully plan on cellaring at least one of these to compare from year to year as Capital releases a new version of Eternal Flame every year.

When I poured the brew into my glass, it reminded me more of Eisphyre than Autumnal Fire. It was a clear/copper/reddish pour but it didn't look like it had much body.

The smell wasn't much when I first poured it but as it warmed, it smelled malty and boozy.

The only other review on BA right now talked about how the alcohol slowly crept in at the backend of a sip. I totally agree with that. I first tasted a harsh maltiness and not much else and then the alcohol hit me pretty hardcore.

I don't think I liked this as much as I hoped and I didn't like it as much as Autumnal Fire BUT it was still a pretty substantial beer and I really look forward to sampling the future versions....

EDIT: Well it looks like my scores reflect the fact that I actually still prefer Eisphyre over this offering BUT I still think in the future I will purchase more EF than Eisphyre because of the whole evolution process from year to year....ah marketing...

10-10-2011 02:06:34 | More by mjpolzin
WastingFreetime

4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

Most of the info I gleaned about this one comes from their official webpage on the beer, but the synopsis on this one is as follows:

This is their 25th anniversary celebration beer, more specifically the first rendition (2011 vintage) of it, because the future plans are to set aside about 60 barrels worth of this brew each year for blending with a new, different doppelbock recipe and than bottling, releasing to the market but also setting aside 60 barrels worth of the new blend, re-lagering, and repeating the process yearly. I vaguely recall such a thing might be called "vertical brewing"...

So basically, this will be a vintage beer, theoretically each year being a mutation based off the previous year. And so now we come to the "birth beer" as they have christened it over at Capitol Brewery...it is a blend of Autumnal Fire and something new they called "Imperial Fire" that was ramped up with candi sugar.

Pours out jewel-clear red-tinged amber with perky carbonation, a two finger fluffy white head that dissolved in about three minutes but did not leave behind any lacing... The body seems slightly thinner than the Autumnal Fire, and in retrospect is the most off-putting aspect of the brew that I could nitpick at...but only as a minor nitpick, mind you. Smells of faint plums floating over the top of a swaggering flurry of brown and candi sugared oktoberfest malt scent that doesn't smell as alcoholic as you think it would, what with being 9.1% ABV and all. No, instead, I just get that ABV dealt to me as a slowly rising lingering warmth in the back end of the sip, just how I like my high ABV brews to treat their boozey aspects! And speaking of taste, this is a rather well crafted malt bomb, it comes across to the palate as sort of a 'streamlined / deconstructed Autumnal Fire' in which (by objective comparison to my memory of Autumnal Fire) the bready flavors are muted but the aspects of vinous / sherry notes are amplified, with an exciting leathery accent that I fervently hope will amplify with cellaring. (One can only hope.)

Now realize that one year from now, the next mutated vintage will have been released. Let's try to keep all our reviews of this one as it changes underneath this entry so that we can keep the database nice and clean and tidy, OK? (Just mention what year its from in the future reviews)

We are going to be lucky enough to witness beer-volution as it happens, and I for one am excited to see what will come out of this delicious experiment.

10-05-2011 01:40:42 | More by WastingFreetime