Mutiny IPA - Capital Brewery

to view more.
Ratings: 165 | Reviews: 23
Reviews by herr_fish:
3.56/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The Mutiny IPA was one of the best offerings at the Dells resort where we are staying. The beer poured a clear orangish with white head that left some lacing. The scent had a nice citrus base. The taste was a battle between bitterness and malt with the malt being slightly sweet. In the end the beer was ok because it just didnt seem balanced. The mouthfeel was medium in body with good carbonation. Overall it was a good beer and worth a try.

3.18/5  rDev -4.8%

Appearance - Medium gold with a touch of red or orange. A very slight haze. Medium high white head. Persistent.

Smell - Light pale malt. Only moderately strong grassy hops - substantially less hoppy than most IPAs I've come across.

Taste - Brief sweet pale malt. Quickly replaced by a reasonably strong dose of citrus and resin hops. Lemon and orange peel, a little pine.

Mouthfeel - Medium to light.

Overall - A change in direction for Capital. Not bad, but Capital has traditionally done other things much better. I'm not sure I see a reason to buy their IPA.

3.34/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-Clear amber orange, not much carbonation, one finger head.

S-Malt. More malt. Lots of malt. Not real citrus or any other flavor.

T-Very malty. This weird spice like note. Apples, not bitterness awful balance.

M-Lighter, not much carbonation, no hop bite.

O-One of the worst IPAs I've had. And it shouldn't have been that old based on when I had.

3.61/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

poured 12oz can into Duvel Tulip.

A - A light hazy orange copper color. Two finger white head that stays for a bit before settling into a thin ring around the glass. Good amounts of lacing. Really looks nice.

S - Nice aroma of bright floral hops, citrus and pine. Good hints of malt backbone and caramel. Nothing big and bold, but pleasant.

T - Much more flavor than I expected. Mostly bitter pine and light citrus with a hint of sweet malts and caramel in the middle. Finish is light bitter and sweetness. The taste is just above average.

M - Light carbonation and a dry and bitter finish. Some stickiness.

O - This IPA was better than I thought it would be. The fact that you can buy it for under $1 a can for the summer and that it is sessionable is a win for me.

3.4/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Nice convenient can that keeps out the light and chills fast. A necessity at Christmas time, let's give it a whirl. Popping the top I get a fruity smell of banana esters. Pours to a bright only slightly amber yellow with a lacy clingy off white head that laces as it recedes. The taste is sweet malt with some dandelion and alfalfa in the background. Not a big hop bite for an IPA in fact quite tame and sweet. Except for the twangy aftertaste I would even call this an IPA its more like an ale that is heavier on the malt backbone than the hop bite. Good thick mouthfeel. A decent brew but not IPA by any means, not enough to mutiny, but the crew may still have some unrest.

3.68/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours hazed golden to amber with a head that descends to a lasting thin cover. Strands of lacing stick.

The smell is of smoked pine, toffee and some citrus.

The taste is of bittering citrus, tobacco-ish, piney hops that stay a hair ahead of the sweet, balancing, toffee-ish malt. Some alcohol warmth shows in the dry finish.

It is smooth, somewhat juicy, with a medium body.

I wouldn't say it's "outstanding", but would say it's "good to very good". A piney/citrusy IPA with a firm malt backbone. It is a solid representation of a highly competitive style.

3.48/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into snifter glass. It smelled primarily of oranges and maybe one of those orange drinks you get at the center isle of the grocery store. Pretty interesting. It also had very subtle floral notes. Beer was light amber in color.

Flavor - It does have an upfront hoppy profile, excellent bitterness which was balance with some sweetness of fruit. The flavor did not last long however, kind of dissipated quickly. The glass won't be sitting long before I take another sip. It did have a grassy finish. It didn't bother me at first, but with a second can, the aftertaste was kind of pesky. I did not care too much for the finish of the beer (strictly my opinion though).

You do get what you pay for. I paid about $11.50 for a 12 pack. That's less than a dollar a can. For the cost of the beer, I certainly would buy this again, especially if I'm having people over. However there are many outstanding IPA's that I will pick over this. But I still consider this IPA above average considering the price you pay for a 12 pack in cans. Good tasting beer overall.

4.44/5  rDev +32.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Yep, they are putting it in the CAN now and The CANQuest (TM) was delighted to score some at Riley's Wines of the World druing the annual visit to Madison, WI for the Great Taste of the Midwest!

From the CAN: "It's Time for a MUTINY!"

A loud Crack followed by an inverted Glug and I was off and running. I created two-plus fingers of dense, foamy French Vanilla-colored head from my pour. Color was a deep-gold with NE-quality clarity and right away, King Midas, Croesus and Mammon were all fighting for a taste (SRM = 6). Nose was really pine-y and while the Milwaukee version seemed to be a little off, this seemed like it was going to be right up my alley. Mouthfeel was better than average, not quite full, but approaching it. The pine of the hops was the centerpiece on this one and while there was certainly malt present, it was not going to be enough for the faint of heart. Sticky lacing began to appear with every draught from my glass. Finish was semi-dry and frankly very tasty. I ran through it much more quickly than I realized. I could have drank at least one more of that one.

3.71/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A=In the yellow to orange transition zone, crystal clear, with a billow head, about an inch and a half, that recedes to a quarter inch or so in about 5 minutes as I took my first few sips.

S= Fairly neutral on the aroma hops for an IPA. Something about the aroma reminds me of 7th grade metal shop - nothing overwhelming, but the smell of hot metal faintly brushes my nose.

T=Initially, I tasted piney hops and a dry bitter finish. After a few sips and lupulin threshhold adjustment, some sweetness of comes across to help balance that bitterness.

M=The beer is soft in the mouth, a little slick, perhaps. Sort of suggestive of a good kiss.

O=While there's a lot to like about the technical execution of this beer -- foam, texture, balance -- I feel that it should have delivered more on taste and smell. Still, I'm glad to have had the pleasure.

3.43/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12oz twist-off (first bad sign) with no date (2nd)

look is fairly typical color, with big head that falls to one finger but looks nice. smell is damp vegetation, some musty pine. taste is sweet overripe fruit, some light citrus tones, and peppery spice. feel is a bit cloying.

very average, but not bad.

3.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours a nice, white head that is resiny, persistent, and laces nicely. Bright, citric hop aroma. Nice golden color. Starts off quite bitter with grapefruit/citrus rind. Builds into a medium bitterness, and then it just CLEARS as the malt rips through for a rich, biscuit like finish with lingering grapefruit hop bitterness.

Overall, this is quite good. I love the transition as the aggressive malt balances this one out very well. I'm not huge into that grapefruit/citrus rind hop profile, so if YOU are, add a few points up top.

I still am not sure how I'm taking to the idea of Capital making an IPA, hahaha
I love seeing them branching out, but I guess I'd love to see them branch out with some funky lagers.
I know Kirby is gone, and this is very well made, so I'll be interested to see what happens with Capital. At the least, I can't complain about another good, local IPA to choose from.

2.5/5  rDev -25.1%

Pour is dark golden amber with a small amount of light tan head that dissipates quickly. Nose is incredibly sweet, sugary caramel, a bit herbal in the hops but light. Taste is stale malt, sweet, sugary, faint herbal tea hop. Syrupy body, moderate carbonation.

2.18/5  rDev -34.7%

Another miss from Capital--I'm getting pretty sick of these guys as a brewery.

I find it amazing that this beer is considered an IPA. It's overly-malty, hop character isn't there, and it has little-to-no bite at all.

Appearance is average. Taste is pretty meh. It's almost as if they didn't even bother to dry hop the beer.

This is a short review, but not much more needs to be said. The beer is relatively crappy. My advice? Stick to Ale Asylum's Bedlam, which is a far superior brew.

3.45/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A - fairly clear golden, light amber with a big fluffy white head.

S - some citrus and pine. Caramel malt. Very light aroma.

T - light citrus, pine and breast malt. Almost crisp like a lager.

M - light and crisp.

D - one of the lightest ipas I have had.

3.84/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A-Oak colored....minimal head

S-Floral and piney...fresh scent...not an overwhelming scent though....a bit perfumey....different than most but enjoyable to smell...

T-Again a bit different....heavy pine notes...dry....oily....

M-Finishes pretty dry....medium to high medium bodied...

O-Bought this because it was a 12 pack of cans for about $12...a good value in my opinion after drinking it...not my personal favorite flavor style for an IPA (I like the fruity/citrus bombs) but this is good for what it is and reminds me of several IPA's I had while in San Diego so I would say it is loosely in the West Coast IPA territory....closer to that than East Coast....Malt is fine but never strong...If a person was IPA hunting in the midwest it would be tough top a 12er of this (piney IPA) for $12 and a 12er of Summit Saga (fruit forward IPA) for $12...$25 for a case of great drinking but different IPA's...what's a case of Bud run these days...$20??? I rest my case...

3.6/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This poured out as a nice looking pale yellow color with a foamy bright white head on top. The retention and lacing were both quite impressive on this beer. The smell of the beer is a bit on the subtle side, I would say they didn't dry hop this beer at all, so the hoppy aroma that an IPA should/might have isn't really there. If you breathe in deep you can pick up some fruity citrus notes but this is fairly malty on the nose. The taste is pretty simple, there is a good malt base with some resiny hops in the finish. The mouthfeel of the beer is smooth, light bodied and very drinkable. Overall it's a good IPA, glad I got to try it fresh. I'd say it's worth trying.

3.85/5  rDev +15.3%

Mutiny IPA pours a dark golden color with a small white head. There is a seawater like aroma with hints of hops. The taste has a drinkable hop flavors that finishes dry. Drinkable yet full flavors and full bodies. Overall a very nice complete IPA with some good flavors.

2.57/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

L- pours a hazy orange with a one finger head.
S- a very tame hop with much citrus fruit smell. Some malty smell.
T- Not overly hoppy with a definite biscuit taste. Tastes do not compliment each other very well.
Feel- for not being overly hoppy, not very pleasant.
Overall- one of my least favorite in a while.

3.72/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Mutiny IPA

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a shaker pint glass. This was served chilled.

A) This was a very light amber. There was over a finger of white foamy head. Decent retention, with layers of lacing left on the pint.

S) The aroma is quite light. Not unexpectedly, there was pine, a pinch of grass, and some citrus.

T) A bit more flavor than the nose led on. Adequate bitterness from the hops. Had a white grapefruit taste going on... Malty sweetness balances it out.

M) A lighter medium body. This was lively and crisp. Very refreshing... Slightly dry finish. Aftertaste was fine.

O) I found this to be fairly enjoyable. It reminded me a bit of All Day IPA, although the ABV is about 2% higher. Whatever, it's easy drinking. I wouldn't turn a bottle down, and if Capital cans it, I'd toss some in my golf bag this summer.

2.64/5  rDev -21%

Well I think it's safe to say Capitol's first venture into IPA territory was a failure.

The beer looks fine, a copper color, with a nice 2 finger cap that retains nicely.

Mutiny IPA definitely falls apart upon first wiff. Mostly pine, a hint of citrus, biscuity malt and what i can only describe as oxidized hops. I'm assuming this is relatively fresh since it was just released, so it must be from poor dry hopping conditions. I've had homebrew beer exhibit that oxidized hop aroma before I figured out how to minimize oxygen exposure during multiple dry hop additions.

The flavor is a let down as well. Some hop character is evident in a decent pineyness and a mild citrus note in the finish, but a definite overwhelming malt presence in the form of toasty, biscuity flavors as well as some copper penny metallic for good measure. The bitterness is a bit more abrasive than I prefer, lingering on the palate.

I had hope Capitol recruited somebody with some hopping skills. This beer proves that is not the case. I guess its cheap so that's a good thing. I wonder how their new DIPA is? After this, I will be in no hurry to find out.

3.73/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Chilled bottle served in a pint glass

A - pours a light, clear amber, lots of carbonation, fluffy white head with a bit of lacing

S - aroma is a bit of citrus,

T - sharp bitter hops initially, followed by a hint of grapefruit, then a solid bready malt backbone

M - crisp, light, well- carbonated, could definitely throw back a few of these on a hot summer day

O - Capital's first IPA offering, certainly a solid go at the style. I'll be happy to pick this one up again

2.57/5  rDev -23.1%

Looks good. Unfortunately that is about all it has going for it. Every other aspect of the beer is average at best. Smell is smokey citrus. Flavor is smokey hop bomb very little if any malt flavor is detected. Really probably would never drink again.

3.85/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Capital Mutiny IPA, Capital Brewery, Middleton, WI. Their first IPA? I think so.

Clear, golden / light amber hue, beautiful head of ivory foam. Nice looking.

Aroma: good'n'hoppy, plenty of citrus, lemon zest, lime spritz, some piney notes. Perfectly pleasant.

Taste: great hop bite up front, with plenty of juicy malt behind it. Some bitterness pounces the palate, but malt never stays far behind. Tasty stuff. Bright citrus fruit flavors, medium bitterness, light, lingering finish.

Very nice India Pale Ale. I could drink this one again and again.
Did not like their Double IPA at all, but this one is A-okay.

to view more.