Wisconsin Amber - Capital Brewery

Capital Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Amber Alström Bros
Ratings: 403 | Reviews: 173
2.6/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed from notes.

Has a semi-hazy golden amber appearance with a short-lived white foam collar, no lacing. Smells faintly of a mild biscuit malt, and that's about it. Tastes of the same mildly sweet biscuit malt, and that's about it. Hops are so far into the background as to be really close to no hopping at all...body is carbonated well and light in texture without feeling watery. But so far, this offering by Capital has been a disappointment for me. I would have liked to have tasted something a bit less... blandly one dimensional. I'd call this one a lawnmower beer.

2.53/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours amber with an off white one finger head with fair retention and no lacing. Smells of grains and biscuit malt with a small hop presence.

The taste is much like the aroma. grains, biscuit malt, and a small hop presence. Nothing which really stands out. Light to medium bodied, average carbonation. Not much aftertaste. Overall. a rather ordinary unimpressive beer.

3.85/5  rDev +9.1%

From 10/29/11 Tasting Notes

Poured out of 12 oz can into pint glass

A) Copper color lager with a finger of white head. Okay retention, minimal lacing.

S) Nice malt presence. Little bit of caramel.

T) Lightly roasted malt, with some of the sweetness detected on the nose. There is also a nice earthy hop background. Good balance and a nice finish/aftertaste.

M) Medium body with a decent amount of carbonation, but not too much. Crisp and satisfying.

O) This is an enjoyable brew. It is remarkably easy to drink. No rough edges. They're not taking any risks with the formula here, just making a good red lager, and I think that is the point.

3.95/5  rDev +11.9%

This is not usually a style I seek out, but in my Wisconsin country side hotel (House on the Rock Inn) this was one of the two best beers they had on tap (out of 8).

It's a pretty color and has exceptional aroma and even taste, for the style. It is hoppy. Much more tha expected of the style, but that's good.

It has a little bit of a skunky off color taste, but it is well below the rest of the flavors. I may never get another opportunity to buy this, but I would consider it ifI did.

3.63/5  rDev +2.8%

Opening NFL Sunday!!! Starting with a can of Wisconsin Amber!!! Yeah baby!!! The beer is a cloudy red ale with thin white head. The smell has a slight sweet malt to it....not much else. The taste has a great malt character with touch of sweetness. The mouthfeel is great...very favorful decent abv and smooth. Definitely worth teh purchase!

3.66/5  rDev +3.7%

So I have had this both in the can and on tap, and I actually preferred it in the can. Pours a dark amber with a 1 finger head. The smell is pretty straight forward, bready malty sweetness, a little bit of caramel, and a faint amount of citrus. Tastes mainly bready and malty, caramel, and a little copper/metallic flavor. The caramel sweetness really come out as the beer warms up, tastes much better at 50-60 degrees. This finishes rather clean, fairly standard bodied beer here. Refreshing on a warm day, otherwise nothing to write home about.

A - Pours with one finger of white foam on top of a clear, amber-brown body. The head settles fairly quickly and leaves little lace.

S - Caramel and toffee malt notes with just a hint of herbal hop aroma.

T - Toasty malt with some toffee. A bit more caramel comes out in the middle. Finishes with plenty of caramel and sweet malt character with moderate bitterness and grassy hops.

M - Medium-thick body, moderate carbonation, and a slightly sweet finish.

D - A pretty solid, if somewhat unremarkable, amber ale. Lots of malt with more than enough hop character to balance; though it isn't a hoppy, west coast red ale by any stretch.

3.93/5  rDev +11.3%

12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Clear copper body with an inch of frothy, persistent off-white head that leaves some nice lace. Very attractive lager.

S: This one’s all about the malt, with nutty, toasty, and caramelized malt aromas dominating. Quite nice.

T: Sweet, nutty malt opens things up, followed by some more toasted undertones and finally a mixture of fruity hops and dry lager yeast on the long, clean finish. Simple and entirely enjoyable.

M: Medium body, lots of prickly carbonation. A little too prickly.

O: I don’t have too much to say about this one: it’s a good, drinkable, flavorful lager. If you’re into that, give it a shot.

Cheers!

4.2/5  rDev +19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: A little light for an amber, more of a rich golden. I've seen pale ales darker than this. The head is a nice off white, three+ fingers, again, a little much. Great clarity and pretty good active carbonation.

S: Not much for aroma here, but there's a little cooked bread and caramel. While it doesn't need a lot, it needs more than this.

T: Taste is where this beer really goes WIN for me. It's not earth shattering, but it's very nice, and very simple, and very refreshing. A little toast, some very mild hops. I like it.

M: could use like 1% more body and carbonation.

D Superb.

3.7/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

This one pours a healthy red amber color with a tiny head. Aroma is sweet caramel malts with a bit of graininess. Taste is a smooth, slightly earthy caramel maltiness with a bit of grains to liven it up. This one feels good going down, it's lighter bodied, but the carbonation smooths it out very well. The drinkability is also exceptional. Overall, it's a solid, drinkable Amber Lager. What else can I say?

A - Pours a radiant brassy amber hue, and is capped with a moderately-lived head.

S - The nose is mellow, grainy, slightly sweet, with vague herbal hop notes.

T - Herbal and savory hops are more accutely apparent, with celery-ish notes proffered. Tastes good for the style intent.

M - Feels good man.

O - Capital seems to be adept at making tasty straightfoward offerings; no exception here.

This is just a good, solid, easy drinking amber/red that although it is nothing special, it is a nice, easy drinking beer to be enjoyed on a hot, summer day. I give it a slighly higher than average score because it is from Capital Brewery and they are one of my favorite local breweries. It has the normal caramel notes that I usually can taste in a red. It isn't my favorite Capital beer but like I said, a good summer option.
EDIT-Had it immediatly after a Fat Tire and when I had this one, I almost tasted a medicine like bittnerness that was not pleasant. I won't lower the score too much but when compared to something else similar I did not like this.

3.58/5  rDev +1.4%

A: amber color, clear, thin white head, decent retention

S: mild sweet malts, caramel, faint smoke character

T: sweet malts, some corn character, mild earthy hop character, nice balance

Mf: light body, medium carbonation, smooth texture

O: nice malty lager, a little sweet, good drinkability

2.57/5  rDev -27.2%

A: As usual, this beer has amazing clarity. Great lagering effect. Medium lacing with an offwhite head. Wouldnt call it amber in color, more orange to red.

S: Not much doing here, husky grainy in smell.

T: What seems to be a consistent feature for this brewery is fizzy in the nose with a touch of jazz and then by the time the middle comes around, its quit. The aftertaste in the finish however has a nice nutty character to it, which I have found lacking in most of Capital's beers I recently tried.

M: carbonation fizz on the tongue, doesnt last long as I would prefer it, but very light and drinkable.

D: Wouldnt choose it for the style, but would drink it to drink in the sun.

3.64/5  rDev +3.1%

On a recent trip to Wisconsin I picked up a sixer of Wisconsin Amber, I enjoy tasting local beers not available in my neck of the woods and when in Rome. The bottle pictured above is out of date, the new label has "drink beer naked" across the bottom encoded in Naval communication flags. After going through the trouble of decoding the message I discovered the message is explained right on the bottom of the six pack holder.

Anyway, on to the beer...

"Beer for badgers" is a tasty amber. Has a nicer amber color to it and a head that quickly dissolves to nothing. Smell matches the taste, nothing over powering or out of place. Overall it's a good beer, not the best amber I've ever tried but in no way bad. I would drink it again but I am bringing home 2 mixed cases of local Wisconsin beers that I've tried while here and this one didn't make the cut, only because it's nothing too special.

This is a great amber, i'm really impressed with the depth of flavors coming out of this. So much toasted bread, like fancy morning breads with raisons and spices and whatever else the bakery would put on bread before baking it, this beer is liquid that.
Oh yea, It's a clear reddish amber color and has no haze at all, totally clear. The body is medium and has a very appropiate level of carb, moderate.

I will probally get a pack of this over the summer and/or fall. It's really great, i would love to camp with this too.

2.63/5  rDev -25.5%

pours clear amber with a 1+ finger head that left no lacing

smell is faint but i pickup sweet caramel malt

taste is blah - boring - average - your standard amber with the training wheels still on

mouthfeel - medium body decent carbonation - needs to have more bite - very smooth

drinkability is not good - i will never buy this beer again and after i finish this 6 pack i highly doubt i will ever drink this again

3.88/5  rDev +9.9%

"Beer for Badgers"! Go figure, I like beer and I like Badgers!

A - Poured a hazy light amber in color, when held to light it has accents of orange and red. The body is topped by a foamy one finger off-white head which sports excellent retention. Nice lacing left behind.

S - Caramel malt with a slight hint of sweet toffee lingering about. Not a hugely aromatic brew overall.

T & M - Biscuit and malt body followed with smaller accents of sweet toffee and some hop bitterness. Medium bodied with a crisp, almost dry character. Moderate carbonation.

D - This is one of those beers that you could stock your fridge with and drink all night. I think it would also bode well with those that haven't ensconced themselves in the world of craft brews. A good starter brew to get your macro drinking friends drinking good beer. Nicely done, a good red lager.

3.35/5  rDev -5.1%

A-Burnt orange and some cloudiness, tan head that quickly dissipates
S-yeast esters, mild roast barley malt, a little hop spiciness
T-Malty with a slight hop end note-aroma is better than the taste
M-Nice slightly creamy mouthfeel
D-Good for a couple-nothing special for this style

3.27/5  rDev -7.4%

Pretty good beer. I had this one on new year's eve at Towne Inn in Jefferson, WI. Nice amber color, smelled pretty good. It was an average tasting amber beer. Good taste though, hint of orange peel, wouldn't mind trying it again sometime. It's an easy drinking beer.

3.33/5  rDev -5.7%

Served in a pint glass

It blows my mind with the myriad of options before me that I've never reviewed this style of beer before, until now! This beer pours a decent deeper copper color with a good firm looking white foam head. This beer smells of orange citrus hops upfront which are quickly swallowed by a balance of caramel and clove, i also think I detected some egg and cinnamon. Though the picture I painted for the aroma may seem tasty, I just don't think it meshed well and seemed unbalanced. After smelling the aromas I was intrigued as to what this beer would taste like, the answer was "not much". That having been said there is a malty taste in the foreground that is washed away by what is seemingly no real flavor at all just vague light beer-ness, and it's all finished off with an off-putting bitterness that seems not really to be appropriate with the flavors involved. This beer is a little too watery for my liking as well though it does have some nice carbonation. As much as it may sound like I'm bashing this beer it's not really all that bad, it's just not really something I'm leaning towards getting in the future.

4.42/5  rDev +25.2%

My thinking has brought me to the CANclusion that I want to relocate to the upper midwest. I want to get a Doctorate from U/W (Madison) and live and teach in Chicagoland. I love anything that enables me to transport myself mentally to the place I'd rather be. I got some of Capital's beers in a (rolling) trade with resi (highly recommended for his patience alone) and I have been so busy at school that I could not get to my beer. What is wrong with my priorities? I drank more as a sailor than I do as a civilian!?! I got out to have more time to myself. It ain't workin', bro.

From the CAN: "Beer for Badgers" and "An Ameri[CAN] Lager".

I wouldn't let a badger anywhere near my beer! They are fierce little creatures that would scratch your eyes out and have them for a snack. I often wonder about the Great Lakes college teams - badgers, wolverines, gophers. Bad news on a stick all the way around. Whoa! Is there a review forthcoming, or what?

Man, I CAN honestly say that I love the Crack & Glug auditory aspect of CANned beer. What great head! I mean, I got a great two-plus (!) fingers' worth of rocky, bubbly tawny head with low retention off of my pour.

Tawny Amber, I think that they used to dance at Papa's just outside the gate in Roosevelt Roads, P.R. Ah, the memories. My faves were China and Cinnamon in 1993, a couple of lovelies from the old river towns around Pittsburgh with whom I not only got along famously, but I actually danced with on a couple of occasions. I was down to skivvies, but they were down to buff. I gotta write a book ...

Color was definitely an orangish-amber, but with a refreshingly light haze. I am not a big fan of clarity, given that it strips away flavor. Natural is better in all things, especially beer and women. Nose was filled with carmel. Yum! Mouthfeel was medium-to-full and it tasted like a Sugar Daddy. No boostin', yo! It was like liquid caramel. Speaking of Sugar Daddies, it was not just my good looks and sculpted build coupled with my love of Pittsburgh that attracted Cinnamon and China to me - I was making good do-re-mi on active duty. Hell, I spent most of my money on beer and women, the rest I just wasted. Finish lingered with a caramel sweetness initially, but giving 'way to a light bitterness. Ain't no badger gettin' this! I'm keeping it for myself! Samey-same with Cinnamon and China. Go find your own women!

I'm putting some of this beer in the cooler and we're headed to the lake for some skinny-dipping.

3.43/5  rDev -2.8%

Thanks to resi for the trade.Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a caramel color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is sweet, some hops. Taste is good, hops up front, a bit of caramel and malts. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall this is a good quality beer.

3.41/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A good easy going amber. Amber in color, looks a little thin at times, but the color is good, even if viscosity isn't the greatest. Head and aroma aren't worth talking about.

Taste, pretty smooth, don't be looking for some high hopped west coast amber. No surprises, mildly sweet, caramel, drinks almost like an Oktoberfest. Almost as good as the Sprecher Amber Lager. Same vein. Good hot n humid beer to relax with.

3.33/5  rDev -5.7%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Thanks to TheStretch for this bottle!

Another brew taken down during the Man's Weekend. It pours a clear reddish-amber topped by a half-finger of white foam. The nose comprises orange zest and peel, hot cinnamon, and some smoky toffee. The taste holds notes of light orange zest and light caramel. The body is light, with a light carbonation and a dry-ish finish. Overall, not much exciting going on here, but a nice enough brew to relax with.

Wisconsin Amber from Capital Brewery