Fest (Summer Fest) - Capital Brewery

Fest (Summer Fest)Fest (Summer Fest)

good

Capital Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.60% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-16-2002

1.91/5  rDev -47.7%

Admittedly i really dislike this style.

A: Very clear beer, obviously lagered to its full length leaving this one practically see through. Bone white head.

S: Moldy grain husk smell. Almost as if using a septic system near pasture. Not good.

T: Starts with potential and drops off in a hurry in the middle. I guess grain is what i taste but honestly I dont taste much.

M: Leaves a dryness on the tongue, but the flatness of taste and abrupt ending doesnt carry any flavor over the mouth in any experiential sort of way. Particularly because the abv is over 5 you wouldnt know.

D: I could see drinking this at oktoberfest for hours...and getting drunk. (660 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -20.5%

Capital Fest Beer: This is a deep red beer, unusual for a summer beer. The taste has a fairly strong malt taste, with hops pronounced at the end. I’m a little surprised that this is a summer beer; it tastes much heavier than a refreshing Hefe Weiss. (258 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -17.5%

A- Pours a seemingly thick (at first) two fingered head that gradually dissipates out. Leaves a foam ring around the glass. Minimal, but present lacing. Cloudy golden in color.

S- Bready, yeasty.

T- Slight citrus, even slighter caramel. I don't really taste too much really. Bummer...hoping to pick out a winner out of the refrigerator tonight.

M- Slightly sting on the ol' tongue. Kind of thin.

D/O- Not for me but the drinkability would be high for others I presume...so I'll come to a compromise. What's the deal with the style being their seasonal brew? I'm all for breaking the rules...just seems odd. (610 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -17.3%

This beer had a average sized smooth and creamy ivory head when poured and it had fine-small sized bubbles that mostly diminished. The body was carbonated and cloudy with a golden hue. The nose consisted of malt, caramel, and fruits with a light bitter, hoppy and sour flavor to it. The mouthfeel was smooth and thin and it was medium bodied. This beer left a good lacing on the sides of my glass. (397 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -17%

Single finger head with trace lacing. Head doesnt last long. Body is hazy golden with amber hues. Bread and sweet caramel, standard aroma. Mostly caramel malt in the flavor. Very light hop and burnt toast flavor. Medium body and light to moderate carbonation. Overall a little bland. Smooth and drinkable. Less hoppy than I like my ocktoberfest beers. (351 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -16.7%

Appearance - Light amber. Clear and bubbly. Short white, fizzy, quickly dissipating head.

Smell - Mild to moderate lightly toasted malt.

Taste - Mild toasted malt with a hint of mild spiciness. Dry finish. Slightly watery.

Mouthfeel - Medium and smooth.

Overall - Not quite the hint of Oktoberfest I was hoping for. Inoffensive, but not real distinctive. (358 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -16.4%

In my opinion this beer should be called "Octoberfest Light" rather than a fest bier. I was expecting a lighter beer since it was produced in July/August. A malty/musty smell abounds in this brew that reminds me of a New Castle Ale. Beer had no head to speak of. The taste of the beer was a watered down Octoberfest, I could taste the malt, but this beer left something to be desired. It was ok, but I cannot see myself drinking this beer and enjoying it. (455 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -16.4%

Mediocre pour. Rust colored, but no head at all and no lacing, neithers.

Dull smell. No real Pang of marzen or bock malt. Just some light grain and the slightest hint of caramel.

Tastes pretty much like it smells, sadly. Nothing offensive; just a bunch of benign malt. There's a tiny bit of tartness in the back that's more than welcome, but it's not enough to really save ther beer. There's no intensity, no complexity.

It's hard to do a marzen without spice.

I expect more from capital. It's not that I got a bad bottle of this; it doesn't taste stale or sour. It's just bland. (593 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -13.7%

12oz bottle.

Poured a medium and slightly cloudy golden color with a huge (4 finger) sized white head. Aromas of yeast and bready. Tastes of breadiness and honey. I didn't really get too much more out of this one.

Notes from and tasted on: 01/15/06. (251 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -12.9%

I really didn't care for this beer, and I typically like Oktoberfest style beers. Color is slightly dark, not as dark as your typical Oktoberfest beers though. The main complaint I have with this beer is the taste. It just wasn't good. Very bitter after taste, poor flavor all around. I had this at the Capital Brewery and no one in my group cared for this beer. (362 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -12.9%

A: orange/light amber body, trace head, very little lacing

S: malt, sweet biscuit, hint of honey, perhaps dash of pine

T: sweet biscuity front, firm earthy malt, light pine crisp finish

M: med body, big carbonation, prickly tongue, semi-dry finish

O: Odd making an Octoberfest/Marzen beer for
a Summer release? This beer is a little too heavy for
Summer BBQ/session. Decent enough and fine gateway
brew option.

SOLID, NOT A MUST HAVE! (442 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -12.1%

I get more impressed by Capital each time I have one of their beers. This has a lovely amber-auburn color. I won’t comment on the head, since I poured this out of a growler. Also, because it’s from a growler, not much in the way of bubbles, but still a good fizziness. A very well malted Okto flavor leaving some stickiness, and well-matched hops. Consider how many German brewers are making Oktoberfests that look more like Heineken, and savor this one. (456 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -10.4%

A good summer beer; easy drinking and not too heavy but beyond that it is pretty average.

The look in the glass was not impressive to me at all. It was very light and clear and looked like a cheap macro beer to me.

The smell and taste are grainy, bread-like and a little hint of sweetness. A plus is that it reminds me of an Oktoberfest (which makes sense since it is that style) so that serves as a nice preview for the fall selections that will be out in a few months.

There is a fair amount of carbonation when I take a sip.

So again, a decent summer brew but nothing that wowed me. (589 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -9.6%

Had just been thinking how nice an Oktoberfest beer would be on a cool summer night when I saw this at Binny's, so I picked up a six pack.

The color is just what you'd expect: A clear copper color, with a tan head that doesn't hang around too long. Thin but noticeable lacing.

Great aroma: Sweet, bready, biscuit, and caramel. But the taste is a little disappointing: Too thin, with a much lower malt profile that the aroma would have you believe. The hop profile is a little higher than I prefer in this style, too, and finishes with a surprisingly bitter after taste.

I could (and will) drink a few of these in a sitting, but it's not even average for this style. Too bad. (677 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -9%

To be honest, I was always sort of disappointed with this beer. I used to live in Madison (up until 4 mos. ago) and I'd wait with baited anticipation for the octoberfest, and this beer pales compaired to that. It's drinkable, slightly fruity hop flavors, more interesting than a lager, but not as good as their oktoberfest beer. (328 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -9%

This is an exceptional marzen. Being of German heritage, Oktoberfest is a wonderful time to let my inner beer-lover out. It pours a nice gold with a decent offwhite head. It smells wonderfully malty and tastes the same. This is a really smooth beer with no aftertaste. Bold flavor, no aftertaste? Sweet. (303 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Was very surprised when pouring this beer at the darkness of it for a summer brew. Had a faint aroma to it and a nice lace as I drank it. The taste was good but once again it reminded me more of an amber than a summer. So if you are looking for a your typicalsummer brew don't pick this, but if you want a good beer try it. Didn't really know how to rate this one because it threw me off being so different, so as a summer brew I knocked it down a notch or two................CHEERS (486 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -7.4%

I drank this at around 60 degrees in a pint glass

A- Relatively large white head that left medium lacing, poured a clear golden
S- pretty malty, little sweet characteristics
T- pretty clean smooth flavor, maltiness, light hops,
M- medium/light carbonation with a medium body.
D- pretty high drinkability, smooth clean, although not exactly bursting with any spectacular flavors, it does go down smooth with a solid flavor (430 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%

found this one in the back of the fridge but still pretty decent so will go ahead and review it and and maybe update it next summer when it rolls out again

poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass

A-nice ochre color with about a finger of head that faded rather quickly, but settled to a nice ring that stuck around

S-some faint carmel malt and a little grain type smell

T-decent taste may have lost a little hops in the last couple months but has some nice carmel malts but I still have some grain so maybe you could say it has a carmel corn taste followed with a little spiced hop at the end

M-fairly light bodied but carbonation is good

O-good easy drinking beer worth a try again when it comes out again next summer (725 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into my Cheers mug.

A) A pretty clean looking light amber. There was really no head, maybe a quarter inch. The head dissipated quickly, no lacing.

S) Mostly malt, some bread, light hops, kind of a light leafy smell.

T) Again, toasty malt, bread, a bit of sweetness and earthy tones. A very pleasant finish and aftertaste.

M) Toss up here, not light, not medium. It's a lighter medium bodied beer that is pretty crisp, not much bite. Pretty easy drinking.

O) There is nothing I really dislike here, however ther is also nothing that really stands out. It's a decent beer, and it's worth a try. (626 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -6%

Certainly not an o-fest....seems to fit the bill as a Munich helles lager...has that spicy czech pils hoppiness...decent maltiness...some toasted caramel but also some breadiness to it....medium bodied....pretty crisp....nice enough but not a special creation by Capital...nice summer brew with some character but I'd reach for something different personally (hence the drinkability rating) (390 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy orange/tan with a medium white head.

Not much aroma. There is some malt and possibly caramel that can be picked up.

A smooth and slick caramel flavor is the base of this beer. Sweet malts. It ends with an occasional bite of piney aftertaste and green apple. Starts out small, but really shines during the transition towards the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was medium weight and a bit thick with sugars. Felt a little oily.

Very drinkable. I certainly don't recommend chugging, but I enjoyed the flavor more with larger swallows. I think this would be a real hit at an outside event.

I was a little disappointed at first. I felt that the flavors were too mute, and expected more from Capital. However, I feel like I was really getting into a groove by the end of the bottle and wish I had more. (816 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -4.7%

A - Amber / light amber with a great amount of head and nice lacing.

S - Spicy and grassy hops with a light carmel scent

T - Spicy grassy hops, bread malt, and perhaps a mild hint of nuttiness and caramel

M - Smooth and moderate in carbonation

O - Good flavor that is easily drinkable and light enough not to be overly demanding (333 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -4.7%

Capitol Brewery's Fest (Märzen Oktoberfest Lager) pours a good two fingers
of rocky foma over a slightly cloudy amber brew. Carbonation is sprightly, and
the nose is toasty barley malt and lager yeast. The flavor is slightly sweet barley
malt up front balanced by a nice snappy herbal hop. The aftertaste is a bit of grain,
the hop in the finish fading quickly. the mothfeel is round, yet crisp due to the
carbonation. A nice solid brew, right about where it should be for this style. (487 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Appearance: Pours a pale amber with copper edges. What begins as a half inch thick head quickly fades to an incomplete cap with scattered islands of bubbles.

Smell: The aroma is almost all malt, with a toasted bread note and nuttiness that suggest Munich malt. I pick up on a bit of toffee as well. There's a bit of herbal hops, but they're extremely faint.

Taste: Starts out malty and slighty sweet, with toasted bread and a bit of nuttiness. Midway, a herbal hop flavor and bitterness appear to provide a bit of balance. A bit of toffee hides, showing itself now and then. Finishes well balanced and clean, along with a hint of coarse grain husks.

Mouthfeel: Dry and crisp, with a fairly light body. There's a bit of tannic astrigency on the tail end.

Drinkability: I'm not sure what this 'Fest' bier is celebrating, nor I am sure what style it's supposed to be. I do know that it's not all that interesting. There are no obvious flaws...there's simply not much going on. (985 characters)

Fest (Summer Fest) from Capital Brewery