Fest (Summer Fest) - Capital Brewery

Fest (Summer Fest)Fest (Summer Fest)

good

Capital Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.60% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-16-2002

3.78/5  rDev +3.6%

I'm going to re-review this beer for this year as I picked up a 2011 six pack and my impressions (or perception) seem different from my 2010 notes (reattached as well).

A -- Clear, deep gold to near orange with a sudsy, off-white head that settles slowly.

S -- DMS at first whiff with some light spicy hops and bready malts. Actually pretty nice for a lager.

T -- Light toasty and bready malts up front with a dry, spicy finish. Some nuttiness in the aftertaste. Not quite a Märzen, and not quite a Wies'n Fest style, sort of in between, but very tasty and flavorful.

M -- light-medium to medium body with a soft to crisp mouthfeel. A bit heavy for a Summer beer, and still not quite the same as the original incarnation from years ago.

O -- Overall a good drinker, very satisfying in flavor, but just a little heavy for a Summer quencher to my palate. In its first version this beer was very light gold and was a dead ringer for the Wies'n Fest style beers from Munich; very bready, lightly hopped, sweet start to dry finish.

2010 Review
***

Okay, just to make this clear to the reviews -- this beer hasn't been brewed in a few years and Capital resurrected it for their Summer Seasonal (which it was in its first incarnation).

Those of you reviewing in 2009 had some ooold brew.

A -- Deep, clear golden with a thick, off-white head that settles to a very persistent cap.

S -- Not much to this one, very "fresh" aroma, nothing off.

T -- Light, bready malts up front with some vaguely citrus and bitter hops in the middle and a husky, grainy finish with bready malts in the aftertaste. The huskiness of this beer honestly makes me think it was over-sparged.

M -- Light medium body with a smooth, soft mouthfeel -- maybe slightly sharp in the finish.

D -- Very drinkable, goes down smooth and satisfying. Although, this version of the beer doesn't strike me as authentically Bavarian as the original; it seems a little less than rich on the malt side and the hops are a little too harsh. Nonetheless, it's a very easy drinking brew. (2,045 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +19.2%

Bottle poured into a pint glass, purchased at the Crave Lounge off State St. here in Madison. It's a martini lounge and they had no beer on tap, so a small selection of mostly macro imports was the best I could manage. This seemed the pick of the litter.

Pours a ruddy golden color with a decent snow white head. A pretty beer to look at. This is a malty beast here. The maltiest beer of this color I've ever had. The grainy/caramel malts are nicely balanced by citrusy hops to create a pretty balanced beer here. Perfect session material, so it fits nicely into its style as a fest beer. Another solid brew from the hometown boys. (634 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -12.1%

I get more impressed by Capital each time I have one of their beers. This has a lovely amber-auburn color. I won’t comment on the head, since I poured this out of a growler. Also, because it’s from a growler, not much in the way of bubbles, but still a good fizziness. A very well malted Okto flavor leaving some stickiness, and well-matched hops. Consider how many German brewers are making Oktoberfests that look more like Heineken, and savor this one. (456 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -7.4%

I drank this at around 60 degrees in a pint glass

A- Relatively large white head that left medium lacing, poured a clear golden
S- pretty malty, little sweet characteristics
T- pretty clean smooth flavor, maltiness, light hops,
M- medium/light carbonation with a medium body.
D- pretty high drinkability, smooth clean, although not exactly bursting with any spectacular flavors, it does go down smooth with a solid flavor (430 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours with a big head. Deep gold color. Spot-on german malt nose. Medium mouthfeel - sweet malt charchter. A toned down Octoberfest. This beer is actually closer to what you get at Munich's Octoberfest than a traditional Octoberfest beer.

A fine German lager - could swear I was sitting under the festival tent in Bavaria. (326 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -10.4%

A good summer beer; easy drinking and not too heavy but beyond that it is pretty average.

The look in the glass was not impressive to me at all. It was very light and clear and looked like a cheap macro beer to me.

The smell and taste are grainy, bread-like and a little hint of sweetness. A plus is that it reminds me of an Oktoberfest (which makes sense since it is that style) so that serves as a nice preview for the fall selections that will be out in a few months.

There is a fair amount of carbonation when I take a sip.

So again, a decent summer brew but nothing that wowed me. (589 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -16.7%

Appearance - Light amber. Clear and bubbly. Short white, fizzy, quickly dissipating head.

Smell - Mild to moderate lightly toasted malt.

Taste - Mild toasted malt with a hint of mild spiciness. Dry finish. Slightly watery.

Mouthfeel - Medium and smooth.

Overall - Not quite the hint of Oktoberfest I was hoping for. Inoffensive, but not real distinctive. (358 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +0.8%

This one has a decent appearance. Amber with a creamy off-white head. The head hung around until half of the beer was gone with small amounts of lacing, though I must admit it took me a long time to drink it because I was too busy writing a review about my beer to drink it.
It has a malty aroma and it almost smells like there could be a little amount of rock candy in there but I doubt it. (a somewhat similar aroma)
The taste is malty and sweet. This is my third time trying it and I like it a lot more now than the first one. It has a good mouthfeel, small bubbles and a malty taste and first then it leaves a light hint of alcohol on the back of your tongue.
It is a pretty drinkable bevy. If I ever come across it again I'll probably pick up a few bottles. (771 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Appearance: Pours a pale amber with copper edges. What begins as a half inch thick head quickly fades to an incomplete cap with scattered islands of bubbles.

Smell: The aroma is almost all malt, with a toasted bread note and nuttiness that suggest Munich malt. I pick up on a bit of toffee as well. There's a bit of herbal hops, but they're extremely faint.

Taste: Starts out malty and slighty sweet, with toasted bread and a bit of nuttiness. Midway, a herbal hop flavor and bitterness appear to provide a bit of balance. A bit of toffee hides, showing itself now and then. Finishes well balanced and clean, along with a hint of coarse grain husks.

Mouthfeel: Dry and crisp, with a fairly light body. There's a bit of tannic astrigency on the tail end.

Drinkability: I'm not sure what this 'Fest' bier is celebrating, nor I am sure what style it's supposed to be. I do know that it's not all that interesting. There are no obvious flaws...there's simply not much going on. (985 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -2.5%

Appearance: a clear amber pour with a medium white head. very clear pour. attractive colour.

Smell: somewhat malty but lightly so. mild sweetness...a little caramel and roasted malt.

Taste/Mouthfeel: a simple palate yet very satisfying. cleana nd smooth mouthfeel and light, fresh body. the taste is light malt up front and then in mid sip there is a nice sweetness thats sneaks in accompanied by hints of orange peel bitterness. bitter and long lasting finish.

Drinkability: i enjoyed this beer quite a bit. not overly complex. not world class but yet it really did the trick this time around. well worth trying. (622 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

Medium caramel color. Sweet and toasty in the mouth with some tea, bisquit and toffee flavors as well as roasted malt and mocha flavors. Tea and shortbread flavors linger on the finish. I'd consider this as more of a Fall Fest than a Summer fest however? (254 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +21.4%

Had this on tap paired with a Cajun Chicken salad, poured from a pitcher into a standard pint glass.

A=Nice amber, a tad lighter than other Märzens; head was about 1/2" but left quickly.

S=Nice mix of hops and barley.

T=Very nice; a bit lighter than other Märzens, but perfect robust taste for summer.

M=Perfect...lighter for summer; very drinkable and more of a session beer than other Märzens.

O=Will be added to my rotation as a summer beer; probably earlier in the summer, so I don't have this back to back with Oktoberfests that come out in August. If you don't like summer wheat beers, this is a great alternative. (628 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -12.9%

I really didn't care for this beer, and I typically like Oktoberfest style beers. Color is slightly dark, not as dark as your typical Oktoberfest beers though. The main complaint I have with this beer is the taste. It just wasn't good. Very bitter after taste, poor flavor all around. I had this at the Capital Brewery and no one in my group cared for this beer. (362 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy orange/tan with a medium white head.

Not much aroma. There is some malt and possibly caramel that can be picked up.

A smooth and slick caramel flavor is the base of this beer. Sweet malts. It ends with an occasional bite of piney aftertaste and green apple. Starts out small, but really shines during the transition towards the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was medium weight and a bit thick with sugars. Felt a little oily.

Very drinkable. I certainly don't recommend chugging, but I enjoyed the flavor more with larger swallows. I think this would be a real hit at an outside event.

I was a little disappointed at first. I felt that the flavors were too mute, and expected more from Capital. However, I feel like I was really getting into a groove by the end of the bottle and wish I had more. (816 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%

found this one in the back of the fridge but still pretty decent so will go ahead and review it and and maybe update it next summer when it rolls out again

poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass

A-nice ochre color with about a finger of head that faded rather quickly, but settled to a nice ring that stuck around

S-some faint carmel malt and a little grain type smell

T-decent taste may have lost a little hops in the last couple months but has some nice carmel malts but I still have some grain so maybe you could say it has a carmel corn taste followed with a little spiced hop at the end

M-fairly light bodied but carbonation is good

O-good easy drinking beer worth a try again when it comes out again next summer (725 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a tan/straw color with foamy two finger head.
Has some sweet malt and citruisy hop arouma.
It has a sweet caramal and malt flavors to it, definately not "malty" subtle spice hop in the after taste.
Proper carbonation, leaves the tounge some what dry.
A decent beer if you are thirsty. I was trying to figure out why this is called a O'fest/Marzen. It's a good beer, just not a good O'fest. (396 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz. Pretty fresh tasting, just came in for the season.
Pours a golden color with a touch of red, with a nice white head and great lacing. Smells citrusy fruits and sweet carmel. Taste comes with sweet malty notes into citrus hops and slight touch of sourness bite to it. Some interesting flavors coming together here and turns into a pretty refreshing beer. Good amount of carbonation here and light mouthfeel. Drinkability is up there goes down awesome. Good beer all around for the style. I enjoy. (502 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Was very surprised when pouring this beer at the darkness of it for a summer brew. Had a faint aroma to it and a nice lace as I drank it. The taste was good but once again it reminded me more of an amber than a summer. So if you are looking for a your typicalsummer brew don't pick this, but if you want a good beer try it. Didn't really know how to rate this one because it threw me off being so different, so as a summer brew I knocked it down a notch or two................CHEERS (486 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -9%

To be honest, I was always sort of disappointed with this beer. I used to live in Madison (up until 4 mos. ago) and I'd wait with baited anticipation for the octoberfest, and this beer pales compaired to that. It's drinkable, slightly fruity hop flavors, more interesting than a lager, but not as good as their oktoberfest beer. (328 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -47.7%

Admittedly i really dislike this style.

A: Very clear beer, obviously lagered to its full length leaving this one practically see through. Bone white head.

S: Moldy grain husk smell. Almost as if using a septic system near pasture. Not good.

T: Starts with potential and drops off in a hurry in the middle. I guess grain is what i taste but honestly I dont taste much.

M: Leaves a dryness on the tongue, but the flatness of taste and abrupt ending doesnt carry any flavor over the mouth in any experiential sort of way. Particularly because the abv is over 5 you wouldnt know.

D: I could see drinking this at oktoberfest for hours...and getting drunk. (660 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -16.4%

In my opinion this beer should be called "Octoberfest Light" rather than a fest bier. I was expecting a lighter beer since it was produced in July/August. A malty/musty smell abounds in this brew that reminds me of a New Castle Ale. Beer had no head to speak of. The taste of the beer was a watered down Octoberfest, I could taste the malt, but this beer left something to be desired. It was ok, but I cannot see myself drinking this beer and enjoying it. (455 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -9%

This is an exceptional marzen. Being of German heritage, Oktoberfest is a wonderful time to let my inner beer-lover out. It pours a nice gold with a decent offwhite head. It smells wonderfully malty and tastes the same. This is a really smooth beer with no aftertaste. Bold flavor, no aftertaste? Sweet. (303 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -3.3%

Since the northwest is the home of hoppy beers, this was a refreshing and enjoyable choice--it definitely fit in with my tastes but also was mild enough to drink daily. The hop flavor is balanced nicely with malt. A very drinkable beer, very tasty and refreshing. (263 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

A - Pours a golden amber color, somewhat cloudy with very little head.

S - The aroma is very subtle. Sweet hints of caramel & some fruit, nothing overpowering here.

T - Similar to the smell, subtle caramel hints. Slight bready maltiness & some hints of fruit.

M - Light to medium bodied smooth finish

D - Very drinkable beer, good light summer beer. (353 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +17.8%

Wow, another solid entry by capital. I have been drinking capital for quite sometime now, and was never really impressed by the fest until this year's batch.

Wonderful aroma of Munich malt with an apple like smell. I have to wonder why so many reviews complained or said it has no head. Every time I crack one open I have to pour it extra slow do to the nice level of carbonation, I seem to get about a good two or more inches of head that linger long after pouring it. But this is the 2005 batch maybe they jacked up the carbonation this year.

It starts out malty and hoppy, nice interplay going on. Then the sweet malt hit's your t-buds, then some hop's coming into play once more before the bright lingering finish. The finish is bright but that's what keep's this beers malty sweetness in check so it is not to cloying. Wonderful balance of malt and hop's.

I emailed Kirby Nelson Capital's long time brewmaster letting him know I thought this year's batch was a little more hoppier than in the past. He assured me it was the same recipe, maybe the strain was a bit more robust this year. Im not complaining, I love hops and kirby is not the biggest hophead. So I am thouroughly delighted with this year's batch. Another fine offering from capital. (1,255 characters)

Fest (Summer Fest) from Capital Brewery