Winter Skål - Capital Brewery

Capital Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 275 | Reviews: 144

3.01/5  rDev -18%

A decent look of pale malt looking, little head.

Not much on the nose, taste has the pale malt and mild hops, a decent session type taste but not much more.

Easy to drink, but not really satisfying, looking for more depth after one, ok in a pinch.

They should call this a nice session beer, not much to satisfy your winter needs.

3.01/5  rDev -18%

November 2011 bottle

A- Inch tall white dense head. Beer is a very light ambvr color. Above average head retention and good lacing.

S- Lemon grass in the nose, very bready.

T- Bready sweet malts up front with a just a tocuh of caramel. Skunky bitterness on the tail end...I could do without that part.

M- Medium to medium-thin, adequately carbonated for the style.

D/O- Very drinkable, although just one step above a macro for me. I do not think I would have this again as I wasn't a big fan.

3.03/5  rDev -17.4%

12 oz twist off bottle.

It pours an amber/orange, like an oktoberfest.

The smell is clean with a big grainy smell. There is a hint of diacetyl in the smell, it smells buttery.

The taste is very basic, the diacetyl is still there though. It is basic and grainy.

This beer is about as basic as it gets, with little flavor. Like a watered down butterier oktoberfest beer.

3.07/5  rDev -16.3%

A: Poured a brilliantly crystal clear orange, (think jello) with about a finger of bright white head.

S: Mostly carmel and toffee comes through in the aroma for me with a slight hint of citrus hops. The combination reminds me of a copper penny, not a bad thing per se.

T: Carmel, toffee and copper like maltyness are dominent but not over powering. I can't detect much hop flavor, but the bitterness is nicley balanced to keep the sweetness to a minimum. If i didn't look at the label I would think the winter warmy-ness vibe I get from this beer would make it a 7-8% instead of a 5.8.

M: Very dry mouthfeel, with the carbination about average.

O: While this wasn't what I expected with a name like 'winter skal', I enjoyed it overall and would recomend it to any BMC drinker that wants something more complex without going to far away from the comfort zone.

3.14/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

3.17/5  rDev -13.6%

Pours a darker amber than I was expecting, SRM larger than anticipated, thin head on it. Aroma was nutty, this was one of the nuttiest aromas from an amber ale I've ever had. I have no idea what "skal" means, I wish the cardboard or the bottle was a little more informative in that regard.

Taste, pretty smooth, inoffensive stuff, the nuttiness of the aroma is slightly disappointing for its lack of a coming out party on the taste buds, but its still ok. Real mello, a little bit of toffee and caramel, this is probably a good choice for drinkers who don't like hoppy or very strong beers. Filler beer is how its known at my house. I do have another situation I would recommend it though, if you just came in from the snow, but you're now sitting by a warm fire, I can see this working in the winter like that.

3.18/5  rDev -13.4%

12 oz. bottle, with some kind of a coded bottling date on the bottleneck. A new beer to me, acquired as part of a mixed six pack at the local Binny's. My first beer from Capital Brewery, and I'm excited to have it. My bottle lists a 5.80% abv.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - Pours a hazed brassy orange colored body with just over a finger of fluffy off-white head. Some scattered lacing. Looks alright.

S - Smell is bready, yeasty, dusty, and musty. Clean bready amber malt, some soapiness, some fruitiness, some buttery diacetyl, and a hint of some strange minty spicing. Faintly herbal / grassy spice rack sort of notes in there, also.

T - Taste follows the nose pretty spot on - very bready and malty with mild fruitiness. Caramel / amber malts, some burnt sugars, some indistinct hop / yeast derived fruitiness. Mild herbal spicing, but nothing in particular.

M - Feel is crisp, smooth, and clean. Bready maltiness on the palate with some stickiness. Medium bodied with good carbonation.

Overall, a fairly unmemorable winter lager from Capital Brewery. Not harsh, foul, or offensive, just very simple, and lacking in any depth or complexity. Would probably go well with a meal, I suppose. Looking forward to trying more from these guys.

Capital Brewery Winter Skål ---3.5/5

3.2/5  rDev -12.8%

Pale orange color

Weak smell, grains, toasty notes.

Some toasted flavors, and a slight caramel note. The slightest hop notes in the background.

Mouthfeel average.

I was underwhelmed. Easy to drink, but I don't feel I could pick it out of a lineup.

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Winter Skål from Capital Brewery