Winter Skål - Capital Brewery

American Amber / Red Lager |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2002

Ratings: 275 | Reviews: 144
4.54/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Color is a clear amber with a thin off-white bubbly-foamy head that fizzed away after a minute and had some light patchy lace. Smell is very nice, its a sweet fruity delight of green grapes along with a bit of apple and peach and has a smoothing sweet malt backing. The smell and taste was very close to Hales Wee Heavy Winter but just a tad lighter. The taste is mild and light with a clean, sweet, smooth malt with a very slight and mildly bright hop thats citrusy/tangy, just a bit of green grapes and apple; all very subtle and smooth. Feel is light bodied and silky smooth, has a interesting light tang hold that reminds me of a wet wine and gets barely dry in the finish. This is very drinkable and is a very subtle, intesting beer. Yep, I liked it. Thank you, may I have another.

3.92/5  rDev +6.8%

The second of the new breweries today, a rarity for me if I may be so modest, just goes to show you that in the “World of Beer”, there’s always something new and exciting, guess that’s why I’m still at it after 45 plus years and 5400 beers lifetime.

The color on the pour a limpid deep copper, the head portly in size, frothy in texture and a nice light tan color, as it dissipates the lace left behind seals off the glass. Personally I think this a sign of a well-brewed beer, along with the bazillion tiny bubbles lifting from the bottom of the glass. Nose malt and lightly sweet, musty and a tad yeasty, fresh and pleasing the nose on this beer. Start sweet, lots of malt top moderate in its feel, finish has a delightful hop spicy presence, the carbonation tolerable and the aftertaste somewhat dry, quite a quaffable brew it is true.

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

Bronze-amber hue, translucent, smallish white head, soapy retention, no lace. Sweetish nose, toasty caramel malt mingles with slightly alcoholic notes. The palate has a malty foundation; alcoholic, sweet, little hops for bittering, somewhat spicy though. The finish is sweet, candy-like yet clean. Balanced enough. I found the body to be a little thin; this might be influenced by the meager carbonation... of course this adds to the drinkability… quite the double-edged sword. Overall, this beer is good enough to drink again, but its unspectacular… a solid session brew but not hearty enough for the winter.

Try one.

3.68/5  rDev +0.3%

Body is clear copper, head: thick, fluffy and very, very bubbly.
Of the aroma, I can speak of little: it's soft, sly, and suggestive of hardly thing that I can mention. Hops arrive fiercely on the palate and maintain their ground. Mouthfeel is malty, rich, and chewy. Nice spritzes of spices bounce in now and again, and they are quite welcome on the tongue. Medium body, easily drunk, but I'm curious about the ABV. A nice winter lager, for those who like that sort of thing.
10-04-03 Just had a bottle from last year's batch the other day, and must append this caveat to the above bit of diffidence. Maybe it got better over the months, or maybe my mind and tastes have been altered, but it's better than I said. Much better. When the new batch comes out, I'll do a better one.

4.08/5  rDev +11.2%

What a great appearance this beer has, shiny amber and a rather large, creamy head that leaves a nice lace. Strong maltiness is in the aroma, nice caramel nature. The mouthfeel is nicely creamy, very smooth beer. Flavors of malt sweetness and caramelization hit first, and then some hops are evident through the finish. I'm very pleased with this beer. I bought it on a whim and got lucky, worth a try for sure.

4.3/5  rDev +17.2%

A deeply bronzed golden hue with pale-yellow foam.
Malted aroma gummi bears and black cherries in the air, along with metal and toast.
Munich malts and black cherries up front. Bock-ish, sort of. Stays static, yet enjoyable for a while, then fades to touches of blackened toast topped with caramel. Turns grainier midway. Rides out like the setting sun across the steppe. Grassy, herbal and lingering.
Medium smooth body with intermediate carbonation.
This is a personal local favorite and a nice winter session.
A marzen on skis.
And especially gorgeous on tap.

3.93/5  rDev +7.1%

This is a very nice American amber lager that in many ways is just a hoppier version of a Marzen or Oktoberfest.

It poured a bright and sparkling amber that threw off a tremendous sticky head that slowly dropped to a steady and creamy cap. Very nice looking beer.

The aroma becomes more apparent as it warms with a toasted caramel Munich malt aroma present, along with a spicy backdrop of Crystal hops.

The taste is creamy with a very smooth Munich malt flavor that does seem to weaken in the middle somewhat. Moreover, the Crystal hops provide a nice balance.

This is a very good beer, not what I expected for a seasonal winter beer, but I warmed to it very quickly.

3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

Copper in color with a light beige head. Malty aroma smells too much like the spent grain we used to feed our dairy cows when I was growing up for my liking. Nice lightly roasted malt flavor that is well balanced by the hops. Good mouthfeel and drinkability. I had Capital's Summer Tour Pack and felt the beers were all good and a couple were very good. This peaked my interest in their Winter Skal which thanks to Bighuge I was able to obtain. This is a solid beer, but it didn't acheive that very good to exceptional score in my book that I was hoping for.

4.2/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours amber with a malty spicy smell. The taste is big on caramel malt and the hops start to come through as it warms. I can see why others might call this a lager rather than an ale. Whatever it is, I enjoyed it and I'm sure I will enjoy the remaining three.

3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured a clear copper in color with an off - white head. Signs of carbonation present in 3 columns of small bubbles. Aroma primarily consists of malts and hops. Creamy mouthfeel with a mild carbonation tingle in the middle. Bready malt flavor with a touch of spiciness in the finish. Very reminiscent of an Oktoberfest. Not what I expected in a winter seasonal beer, but very good non-the-less.

3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Clear copper color, not much head to describe, just a trace in 45 seconds. Firm but not heavy sense of caramel to the malty aroma. Satiny mouthfeel, sense of brown sugar and good toast impressions. Hop sparkle close to the swallow. What's somewhat dissappointing is the mid-mouth flavor. The early malty tastes seem to vanish, giving this beer an awkward pause in the middle. This beer is good, and a step away from being truly solid.

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Capital Winter Skal: Cripes, I know it’s the dead of summer, but they sold it to my wife last week, so its gotta be reviewed. Hey, not bad! Deep red beer, with a great big hops aroma (good sign in June) The taste was full of malt, with a pleasant spiciness, followed up with hops in the follow through and the aftertaste. Not bad for an old beer (thank you hops). I’ll look for this next Dec. 21.

4.62/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Lighter amber in color and clear. Medium and fizzy head that dissipates fairly quickly. Aroma is very pleasant and complex with qualities of malt and hops, plus alcohol and an almost spicy quality. Has the thinner quality of a lager, yet a heartiness to it. Taste is complex too with the hop bitterness dominating, but the caramel malt helping to rounding it off and make it very smooth. Pretty dry finish and that remains for a lingering aftertaste. This is as complex a lager as I have tasted. It has the Vienna qualities of a lager with maltiness and smoothness of a California Common.

4.83/5  rDev +31.6%

Edit as of March 23, 2002: I still consider this an incredible lager, but after rating many more brews, I am going to try and stay away from rating any beer perfect. So I will adjust my ratings accordingly.

This is just an outstanding lager. It IS my favorite lager of all time. It has a beautiful appearance and smell, delicious taste and a smooth clean finish. Could drink a lot of these in one sitting.

Winter Skål from Capital Brewery