Autumnal Fire - Capital Brewery

Capital Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Doppelbock |  7.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 01-26-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Autumnal Fire Alström Bros
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

3.44/5  rDev -15.7%

3.7/5  rDev -9.3%

The bartender told me this was 12% ABV. From the taste, I think its more like 8 or 9.

Minimal carbonation, very smooth, and strong.

Poured with no head but I didn’t mind because I was enthralled by the deep burnt orange color. Just from the look of it I can tell that this is going to be a great fall beer.

The nose is tantalizing. Those furious Deutscher malts that one finds in all the best dopplebocks are abundant here.

The first taste is nutty and it leaves a beet taste in my mouth. For some reason I’m also reminded of rutabaga. I think this means that the beer is earthy. At any rate it keeps making me think about roots the whole time I drink it.

I sip it slow like warm brandy. It feels energizing and my lips and tongue are pleased with the slight residual sweetness left on them after each sip.

Not a beer that I could drink more than one or two of though. After 18 oz or so, a mucus formed over the roof of my mouth and it started to reject something in it. This happens to me when I drink to much Barley wine too. I think it's my mouth's way of saying I've had enough.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Purchased from Three Cellars in Franklin, WI. Pours a deep reddish amber body with a thin head that quickly disappears. Aroma is of wood and toffee, reminiscent of a scotch or barleywine. Full bodied with low carbonation. Flavor is a complex woody toasted malt. It gets better with each sip. The alcohol is very well hidden. I would really call this a "light" barleywine. Excellent drinkability.

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours an amber color that reminds me of fallen leaves, cool evenings in front of a bonfire, and pumpkin pie. Head recedes to a tiny ring, no lacing. Smells of caramelly spice-nice. Taste is all warming malt, maybe a bit too sweet, but with a nice spice there to keep it from becoming too cloying. Mouthfeel is a bit thin-I was expecting something bigger. Nevertheless, this is a nice brew, perfect for those crisp fall nights.

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a beautiful deep ruby with very little head. The color is nice but lack of head is not as nice. The smell is of deep caramel with dark fruits and is quite enjoyable.

First sip is a mouthfull of nutty, caramel maltiness. Surfing the waves into my mouth along with it are notes of raisin, toffee and hints of hops. The taste is nice and sweet but not overwhelmingly so. A nice biterness balances it out on the way down.

Mouthfeel is very nice here. A good body that's chewy and full...just delightful. As for drinkability, I could easily sit down to a few of these. A yummy brew that's perfect for the fall/winter season!

3.7/5  rDev -9.3%

Clear, amber-caramel body. Small white head. Little to no lacing.

Aroma is banana and alcohol, which works well in this and doesn't really detract from the aroma. Some lightly toasted malts really make this smell like banana nut bread.

Flavor is lightly toasted malts again with a bit of nuttiness, although faint. Banana isn't as evident but some estery alcohol comes through. Finishes a bit peppery and spicy. Has a little bitterness in the finish as well. Okay flavor really, the aroma is much better.

Medium bodied with a good bit of carbonation that helps with the spiciness in the flavor. Flavor coats well but it finishes pretty clean.

Good drinkability for an 8.5% beer. You can pick out the alcohol but it works well in the style. Sits fairly light for its size. Overall good flavor and aroma. A good brew if you like the style.

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a slightly cloudy ruddy amber with a small, very fine bead head. Aroma of Munich malts and a bit of Hallertau with that deep caramel sweetness that screams "decoction!"

Starts out big and stays that way, the beer equivalent of a hearty German meal. Fortifying. Beer with corners. Initial caramelly sweetness with some slight rye-like spicy flavor underneath, hop presence only minimal at first but a noble hop spiciness emerges in the middle, along with some darker fruits (that emerge more as it warms) and a noticeable alcohol presence, but not much in the way of a burn. Finishes with a lingering fruitiness and sweetness, clean. Properly chewy mouthfeel.

I could drink two or three of these in a biergarten along with some wurst and a bigass pretzel or two and happily doze in a corner afterwards. Just tell me to 'raus come closing time.

Thanks to BA JeffKrenner for the bottle!

4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

This American doppelbock comes my way thanks to orbitalr0x. Pours a strikingly clear and bright copper red body with a small tan head that quickly falls into a lingering film and collar. Lacing is scanty.
Very nice doppelbock aromas, with a heavy hitting malt assault of toffee, brown sugar, and dark fruits(raisins, dates, and plums). A faint hint of alcohol is barely noticed.
Mouthfeel reveals a medium body and good carbonation for style.
Lots of complexity in the taste, with malty sweet caramel, toffee, and brown sugar, but never cloying. Hops bittering lends a nice balance, and some walnut nuttiness compliments some bread and butter notes. Alcohol is barely picked up.
This is an excellent example of one of my favorite styles, and is better than many of the German versions I've tried. Very tasty, and the medium body promotes very good drinkability.

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

Appearance: Pours a reddish brown amber, with a thick airy head that recedes quickly to outer rim lacing.

Aroma: Smells sweet, sticky and smoky. Could it be? Liquid baby back ribs?

Taste: Phenomenal balance of sweet malts, and a brandy like booze aftertaste. This beer is extremely unique and impressive.

Mouthfeel: Medium to thick mouthfeel, with a nice sticky aftertaste that makes it tough to put down.

This is my first offering from Capital Brewery, and to say I am impressed would be an understatement. I can't wait to get my hands on some more of their brews.

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

Thanks to jj21 for this brew off my Wants. Cheers!

Pours with a thin head. Dark amber in color. Sweet and malty in smell. The taste is classic doppelbock: malty, sweet, and bready. Mouthfeel is smooth & I don't detect the 8.5% ABV. One of my favorites of the style & I am a big doppelback fan. I would put this up with the best doppels around.

Highly recommended.

3.25/5  rDev -20.3%

4.63/5  rDev +13.5%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into beveled mug.

Appearance: Rich, clear mahogany with a fantastic red glow when held up to the light. Small off-white head, which leaves fine bubbles down the side of the glass.

Smell: Strong cherry, caramel, toast, biscuit and noble hops. Smells like a cross between a Marzen and a standard Bock, with maybe a tad more noticeable alcohol.

Taste: A blast of semi-sweet cherry and biscuit malts, with some caramel and other fruit underpinnings. The noble hops provide a touch of spicy, dry counterbalance.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, with a creamy, chewy body that isn't as chalky as some Doppelbocks are. A slight warmth serves as a reminder about the alcohol.

Drinkability: Simply a fantastic beer. While this should be a sipping beer, the tendency is to want to drink it like a Marzen. One of the best Doppelbocks out there, even if not truly to style.

Ok, now that I have officially reviewed this, I can now emphatically state that this, Founders Harvest Ale and SurlyFest are my favorite Autumn brews. At least for now; we will see if I can find something to top them next year.

2.78/5  rDev -31.9%

Poured from a bottle. Nice red/amber colour with a slight cream-coloured head to it. Typical carbonation. VERY sweet nose to it... very fruity (fig) and a lot like a honey-mead nose. For %7.8 ABV it was surprisingly smooth. It was WAY to sugary for my taste and very malty. They use Honey-malts which is why is smells and tastes so sweet.

Would I buy it again? No.

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

2.78/5  rDev -31.9%

A dark doppelbock, comes out substantially brown, very thin head, 1/4" tops. No lace. Aroma was chewy brown sugar candy and a sticky syrupy molasses smell.

Alcohol pungent, noticeable on the first sip. A soy sauce like sludge mouthfeel comes around. No hops. Prunes and toffee. Maybe some caramel, but its hard to pick out with the alcohol being so in your face.

Look I'm not a big fan of doppelbocks, so take this review with a grain of salt. I've never been a big fan of capitals stuff either, they make a ton of brews, but none of them memorable for me in a go out and get it kind of way.

4.7/5  rDev +15.2%

Finally, at a liquor store near me...I tore into the case before the owner even got the price entered into the scanner.

Thick pour, very yellow head, and an overall color of premium light maple syrup. Wonderful mouthfeel, much heavier than a Fest but not sticky. Flavor notes of light rum, some raisin, and a serious buttery toffee and floating caramel impression on the tongue. First rate cinnamon spice close. Satiny smooth, with senses of vanilla. Warming alcohol, great for cool weather. Exceptional amount of good old-fashioned great malt flavor and highly unusual in not needing a more "classical" balance. We have a first class brew here, one of the finest beers I've had.

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a dark amber with a nice, fluffy head that sticks around long enough for you to appreciate it.

Lots of caramel malt, butterscotch and faint hops.

Delicious caramel, molasses, taffy apple and honey. There are more hops here than any dopplebock I've ever had. Extremely creamy mouthfeel! Very pleasant finish.

I love this time of year and this beer is a staple of midwest brewing culture. This is an extremely drinkable dopplebock. I bought a 6-pack with the hopes of squirreling away half of it as this is supposed to age wonderfully... I doubt I'll be patient enough to find out.

Autumnal Fire from Capital Brewery