1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Autumnal Fire - Capital Brewery

Autumnal FireAutumnal Fire

Capital Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Doppelbock |  7.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 01-26-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Autumnal Fire Alström Bros

2.3/5  rDev -43.6%

this brew pours up like unfiltered cranberry juice with a tiny off white head. the nose is cranberries and subtle sweet pale malts. the taste is the same as the nose but more intense flavors, and subtle caramel. this beer is too sweet for me. medium bodied, low carbo.... I'm never gonna dance again...

2.7/5  rDev -33.8%

Pours a hazy dark burnt orange with small offwhite head that disappates quickly. The aroma is rich and malty with caramel foremost, some breadiness-earthiness. The flavor is smooth, deep malt with raisin and toffee character and dark toast. There are just a touch of herbal hops..licorice? The finish is a little bit boozy and leaves a sticky aftertaste.

2.78/5  rDev -31.9%

Poured from a bottle. Nice red/amber colour with a slight cream-coloured head to it. Typical carbonation. VERY sweet nose to it... very fruity (fig) and a lot like a honey-mead nose. For %7.8 ABV it was surprisingly smooth. It was WAY to sugary for my taste and very malty. They use Honey-malts which is why is smells and tastes so sweet.

Would I buy it again? No.

2.78/5  rDev -31.9%

A dark doppelbock, comes out substantially brown, very thin head, 1/4" tops. No lace. Aroma was chewy brown sugar candy and a sticky syrupy molasses smell.

Alcohol pungent, noticeable on the first sip. A soy sauce like sludge mouthfeel comes around. No hops. Prunes and toffee. Maybe some caramel, but its hard to pick out with the alcohol being so in your face.

Look I'm not a big fan of doppelbocks, so take this review with a grain of salt. I've never been a big fan of capitals stuff either, they make a ton of brews, but none of them memorable for me in a go out and get it kind of way.

3.03/5  rDev -25.7%

This one, this year, like the oktober-fests, is too sweet. *sigh* big disappointment. Poured with a nice off- white head and lots of lace. Color is a lovely clear copper. Aroma is malty, toffee, and caramel. Flavors about the same, but less toffee and sweeter. Body's good and carbonation too. A little boozy at the very end. Finish is

3.18/5  rDev -22.1%

I poured the beer into a clean pint glass. The color was redder than I liked. I usually look for a darker, copper color when partaking of a doppelbock. The beer offered a decent foam head which quickly dissipated and left no Belgian lace behind clinging to the side of the glass.

I felt the beer did very little on the tongue. It presented with a very alcoholic taste but had very little malt taste that characterizes other doppelbocks. I felt the beer lacked complexity and the potent taste of bitter dark chocolate flavor.

I have often enjoyed Capital's beers so I was surprised that this beer did not live up to the billing of my friends IMO.

3.25/5  rDev -20.3%

Bottled 17 August 2011. Originally reviewed an old bottle (see below), updating now after tasting it fresh.

Appearance exactly as described below, with a little more lacing.

Smell is actually a step down from that year-old bottle. It's much weaker on the fruit, and heavier on the toasted bready malt.

Taste is definitely better fresh, but I'm still not all that impressed. It's got that same bite that I don't like, though it's much more subdued now. Decent sweetness, bready malts, a bit of fruit. Still not all that impressed.

Mouthfeel is a touch better than I thought before, but still rather watery for a doppelbock. Where's the sugar, the chewy feel?

Not one of the best. I'm quite surprised that this ranks so highly among domestic doppelbocks, as it just doesn't measure up for me.

----

Bottled 24 August 2010. It's a fall seasonal, but this heat wave is making me long for fall, so I'm thinking ahead. Or back.

Pours a deep coppery amber, translucent, with nice light emanating from it. One-finger yellowish tan head that dissipates quickly and leaves little lacing. (3.5)

Smell is full of sweet fruity malts. Lots of dark sweet fruit - prune is blasting me in the face, with some fig lurking behind it. Brown sugar and bread are there in the background, as is alcohol. Nice, but not as deep and varied as it could be. (4)

Taste is sharper than I expect. All the fruits and sugar that I picked up in the smell are there, but there's also an odd kick that I haven't experienced in a doppelbock before. Might be hops, might be alcohol; kinda hard to tell. It's not great, though, and it overshadows the nicer, more desirable malt flavors. Finish is surprisingly quick, rather dry, with that odd bitterness. (2.5)

Mouthfeel is okay; not as sticky and sugary and chewy as I want it to be. Rather watery for a doppelbock. (3)

This didn't measure up to my hopes. The taste has something weird going on that I don't like, and the mouthfeel is too light and dry. It's very possible that this beer has suffered since bottling. I'll try this year's batch much fresher, as soon as it comes out, and revise my review as needed. (3)

3.3/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours out dark amber or reddish light brown. Around one finger of creamy looking tan head. Retention is decent with a bit of lace to boot. Aromas of hazelnut, figs, concord grapes, and biscuit malts.

Some nice fruity and nutty elements there. Lots of grape flavor up front with some hazelnut, midpalate is spicy and alcoholic. Finish is a bit like spicy grapes. Lingering bitter yet floral cookielike malt on the tongue. The fruity character dominates here and the alcohol is too much. Tastes like an ordinary bock that happens to have the alcohol kicked up to near eight percent. Needs a lot more malts to balance it out.

Nice medium to heavy body, tad heavy on the carbonation but it feels pretty robust. This seemd somewhat tasty at first, but drinking this bottle is more than enough.

3.3/5  rDev -19.1%

Thanks to kmpitz2 and orbitalr0x for bringing this beer to my attention. Pours a brown color with very little head and no lacing on the glass. kmpitz2 nailed the aroma as sweet toffee. The flavor is nutty and bready, but there's something odd here. I'm not sure what it is. The drinkability is great for 8.5% abv, but I don't like the flavor. Seems a bit thin as well.

3.33/5  rDev -18.4%

Fall is here and so is Capital Brewery's Autumnal!

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Using a slow pouring technique, there was absolutely no head on this. There was some carbonation and the coloring was a nice caramel brown. Almost like a light sun tea.

This has a sweet hops scent, a bit on the strong side.

The first sip of this beer gave my tounge a little buzz. There was a slight alcohol bite to the flavor, but not bad.

As far as drinkability goes, I could maybe do one more after this one. This is definitely not a session beer for me as I found it a bit overpowering.

My first doppelbock that I can recall having and so I'll need to experiment more with the style.

3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

This review is completed from notes taken while travelling through Madison and having this beer on tap at a little coffee shop/restaurant. The beer in the glass was copper or dark orange with a light head. The nose was mildly malty. The initial attack was a mixture of malt and grain. The flavor grew more malty as the beer approached the finish. There were some hints of the smooth malt flavors in the aftertaste. I definitely enjoyed the beer, but I would say that it wasn't quite "oktoberfest" season, or at least the weather wasn't cooperating when I drank it.

3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

Pours a lovely translucent burnt-orange/copper hue. Thin head dissipates as quickly as it rises.
Smells sweet like bready malt with a hint of fruit and citrus. The taste starts off malty - though not as much as I would have liked for this style - then echoes the citrus fruit of the smell for an instant before the crisp carbonation introduces the dry, slightly bitter finish. The total effect reminds me very much of grapefruit.
Feels a bit thick at first but the carbonation keeps it in check.
A good but not great beer that gives little indication of its alcoholic strength.

3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

Received this in a recent trade from Pauly2X- thanks dude!

Pouring a dark brown with ruby shades into my ommegang stemmed tulip. A small light tan head recedes quickly.

Not getting too much from the nose, but maybe a bit of molasses or a nutty character. But mostly just a lot of malt.

I'm really not a huge fan of this style, so the taste and mouthfeel were a bit off-putting to me. Slightly too sweet for my tastes and had almost a smoky character- but that was the only redeeming quality I could find.

Considering its ABV, this is really drinkable. Maybe I just don't 'get' this style but I'm much more content drinking a more roasted brew or a malty lager with a more upfront smoky characteristic.

3.4/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Leaves a one finger deep espresso foam colored head with no retention, and no lacing. Body is a clear copper.

Smell - apples, plums, pears, and diacetyl.

Taste - same as the smell. Fruit and diacetyl. Decent, but not great. A weak wash of the apples, pears, plums, followed by diacetyl.

Mouthfeel - thin bodied, fluid, and dry.

Drinkability - it's not bad , but it doesn't impress my palate either boldly or subtly.

Autumnal Fire from Capital Brewery