Autumnal Fire - Capital Brewery

Capital Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Doppelbock |  7.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 01-26-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 426-450 | 451-475 | 476-500  | next › last »
4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

Ahh, a delight to pour on this cool Fall day here in Chicago. The color is all Fall with a deep brown hue that is highlighted by burning red and flaming orange. The head is rich and murky. It fades fairly quickly, but the lace is firm and ever present. The aromatics are at once rich and warming with abundant malt, raisin and nutty, milky chocolate nuances. In the mouth the beer sings! This is a meal and true to the style. I think the monks would like this stuff. Loads of rich malt, creamy chocolate milk like aromas. Long, full bodied, and complex in the mouth with bitter mocha, more chocolate and raisin-nuts-the alcohol is very warming,and integrated well as not to overwhelm. This is a slow sipper so be careful as it is very easy to drink. Had a couple watching game 1 of the Cubs vs Braves playoff series 2003...can it get much better?

moulefrite, Oct 04, 2003

Autumnal Fire, from Capital Brewing Company. Well, I anticipated another Oktoberfest Marzan, but from the aroma alone, I sense we have something else. Mind you, my nose is a good foot and half from the glass. A quick BA check confirms it, a doppel bock. It has that malty, raison aroma, with a wee whiff of alcohol.

Pours an unusual deep garnet color, and appears clear to the light. The head is well off white, with streaks of tan.

Definitely a doppel bock: huge malty blasts of dried fruits, raisons, a bit of bready malts, and a little caramel. Fairly assertive tastes of alcohol as well. Creamy mouthfeel, somewhat unexpected, but pleasant. Significant warmth from the alcohol, all the way down. Hmm, I can find no information on the abv, but I’ve got to think its well north of 6% or 7%. I’m going to buy some more and see how it keeps.

jackndan, Oct 03, 2003
4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

A much anticipated annual Fall limited release from Capital. Described as "a doppelbock based on an Oktoberfest personality" from the brewery, Autumnal Fire seems a lot more doppelbock than O'fest to me. Regardless, it is a tasty offering that, every time I try, seems to reveal some previously unnoticed nuance in the flavor.

The appearance epitomizes Fall colors with a beautiful dark brown and garnet body topped by a khaki colored head. A familiar Capital doppelbock aroma reveals itself. The nose consists of malt, candied raisins, dates and molasses. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied. The taste consists of sweet malt, caramel, oak and fruit, almost like feint cherry. The warming alcohol almost adds an odd flavor charateristic in the finish and is pretty noticable throughout as an underlying element. To me this detracts a little and doesn't seem to balance with the other flavors in that aspect. As the beer warms to room temp it almost takes on a brady or cognac-like flavor and essence. Top notch!

Winter, Sep 22, 2003
4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

Tis the season. Capital Brewing has this only about 2 months out of the year. I went directly to the brewery to make sure I got it. Pours a nice 1" head that turns into a nice lace. Nose is malty and a tad sweet. Taste is like an over the top Oktoberfest. Lots of malt(roasted) a little sweet and hoppy. The alchohol shows its head after you swallow a few sips. I would guess this is 6-8%

This is a fine brew but I get burned out on Oktoberfest taste. Just a personal thing

daledeee, Sep 09, 2003
4.4/5  rDev +7.8%

I kept this beer as a reminder of last season's Oktoberfest. I poured it quite cold and it responded with a beautiful 1/2" tight head having small bubbles and just a hint of green on the gold. The color was cinnamon and it threw a spicy smell out to meet me from about two feet away even five minutes after I poured it.

The taste is balanced. First it's sweet, then spicy, then bitter, then sweet again. It wanders around

The mouthfeel is viscously medium to full bodied. High ABV lagers can get cloying but this one stays just back of that. It's "juicy". What exactly makes a tongue squirt saliva out of the sides? I recall tart doing that but I don't get tart here. I look forward to buying and trying it again this year.

The dangerous part about "an Oktoberfest style brewed to a Doppelbock strength"is its drinkability. Choose your designated driver early or stay at home...Yeah....this is a good "Stay at Home" beer.

faernt, Sep 01, 2003
3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

Originally sampled on 19 November 2002. This beer has a red/orange color. The flavor is quite malty. It's aroma is slightly sweet. It finishes with a slightly sweet tangy taste. In my opinion, it's quite an enjoyable Doppelbock. I'll have to arrange to get some again.

jcalabre, Jun 14, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

Deep ruby, brown in color and clear as a whistle. Flavor and aromas were spot on for the style. Malt sweetness and caramel abound. Bitterness and hops are there in enough quantity to make sure things stay in check and not get out of hand. A damn fine example of the style and a cool label to boot.

Don't know who I got this from, but I think them much (probably cokes).

jreitman, Mar 18, 2003
4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Autumnal Fire pours a deep, earth-toned reddish brown with an orange-tilt when in front of the light. Clear, but not brilliant. My 2 fingers of foam was just a film after about 2 minutes, though the big, bready, fresh-cracked-malt aroma that accompanied the pour was awesome. That breadiness soon evolved into a vinous, alcoholic fruitiness reminiscent of EKU 28 and other super-high gravity lagers, though with more fresh malt than those beers.

The sweet, viscous body was carbonated well enough to prevent syrupy-ness, but not so much that beer was prickly. The flavor is all about malt and this beer really showcases beer’s primary fermentable. The maltiness is almost overpowering, but so luscious. The intensity of the concentrated malt flavor is almost fun—like drinking a super-hopped double IPA. The finish is a little interesting… While the maltiness lingers, but doesn’t become cloying, an interesting honey flavor emerges from somewhere in the back of my throat and leaves the beer with a flavor that I didn’t really taste much while it was in my mouth. This created a pretty cool air of complexity with this beer. I’ve tasted that honey flavor before in several other American lagers brewed in the German Style, and I quite like it, though I’ve never had it in a German lager. The originals are much too “clean” for a flavor like this.

I’m not always a fan of Doppelbocks as I think they can be a little tedious sometimes with the intensity of the Munich malts. I can almost always appreciate a good example of the style, though I rarely want more than one. Capital’s Autumnal Fire, while definitely a Doppelbock through and through gets higher marks for drinkability from me for the simple reason that although it meets the classical guidelines, it also manages to be “interesting”, without being unusual.

TXHops, Feb 24, 2003
4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

Deep ruby red hue w/ excellent clarity indicative of ample lagering. Vanilla white, creamy, dense and persistant one fingered head leaves isolated aggregates of foam. Sweet, sugary caramelized fruit like melanoidins and toasty Munich hits the nose at first, then are ceded by mellow, pseudo-diacetyl buttery caramel and nutty brittle. Round, lightly caramelized malt sweetness upfront in flavor yields to toasted malt and rich, toffeeish sweetness. Impressions of pralines and fruit with a side of grainy whole wheat toast. It's a continental breakfast in a glass. Perhaps slightly thin in body, yet the ample residual dextrins lend a smooth mouthfeel. Subdued hop bitterness barely offsets malt sweetness, but is sufficient enough to prevent it from becoming cloying. Trace herbal hop undertone. Finishes clean w/ lingering light bready sweetness. Mild alcohol warmth surfaces late, adding delayed additional richness. Autumnal Fire is a delicious, well crafted brew. Less complex than some imported examples of the style, but pleasantly heavy handed in caramelized malt character and tremendously smooth overall.

marc77, Jan 26, 2003
4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

Recommended to me by ADR for its "velvety smoothness."
Deep amber color, clear, with a tan colored head that's fairly full. Rich malt aroma with sense of caramel pushing to sweetness. Taste pushes the sweetness too, but doesn't pass to my point of displeasure. Rich malt without heavy roast or caramel. Nice lingering aftertaste without excessive dryness. Very smooth with a medium rich mouthfeel. Very good beer with nice subtleties and balance.

garymuchow, Jan 24, 2003

Hazy redish copper color,fruity candy like aroma, taste of light maple syrup and cotten candy, sweet but balanced , thick, heavy and very tasty, another great one from this great brewery.

maxpower, Nov 20, 2002
4.45/5  rDev +9.1%

This is my favorite so far from Capital. Pours a deep red-orange color with a foamy thick tan head. The bread clean aroma is one of the most inviting of the fall seasonals. The bold malt profile is touched with a fresh bisuit flavor. The aggressive spice bitterness makes me picture a perfectly balanced see-saw with malt on one side and hops on the other drooping on each side from the weight of each element. Warming, complex and flavorful.

beernut7, Oct 18, 2002
4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

I've always thought of the better O-fests as being like Doppelbock Jrs. This beer firmly sets itself apart as being a full fledged Doppel, plus some. Everthing about this beer is deep, full, and rich. It pours a deep mahogany red with what settles into a wisp of a head. The aroma is a full malt attack with vanilla and oaky traits. Alcohol was easily perceived but welcome. The flavor is rich and complex. Start was sweet and malty, balanced nicely by toasted grains and drying alcohol. A little spicy bitterness with more of that vanilla oakyness you get from a fine bourbon stays with you after you put the glass down to regroup for your next sip. Things got smoother and more intense as it warmed. By the time I had finished it I was well ready for bed.

Thanks to Bighuge for this one.

pbrian, Oct 11, 2002
4.83/5  rDev +18.4%

This beer is a deep beautiful scarlet color. A little head fades to nothing. Similar to some barleywines I've had. Deep, thick malt aroma. This beer is a dopplebock, but the body is in the medium to medium-full range. The taste is wonderful. Deep, smooth malt. Also get some notes of vanilla, oak, dark fruit and wood. If I were to compare this beer to another, I'd look at the JW Lees Harvest ales for similar taste profiles. This beer tastes as much like a barleywine to me as it does a dopplebock. I think the a/v for this beer is around 8.5%. I can't pick up any sign of alcohol though. Brewed to perfection by the Lager Master, Kirby Nelson. This is definitely one of the best Wisconsin brewed beers.

Bighuge, Sep 26, 2002
4.83/5  rDev +18.4%

This is a feather in Capital's hat. I twitch in the anticipation of this one's release every year. The twitching usually starts around March.
Crystalline scarlet-copper. A pale-orange head sits royally above this glorious elixer. Fades to a skimming, but never leaves entirely.
Malts stampede into the nose. Fruity sweet, and bogglingly complex. Grape, raisin, orange peel, liquorice, toffee, sweet bread. Makes you want to eat the glass.
Flavor is equally delectable...actually moreso. Starts with a quick jab of toasted grain, which is quickly slaughtered by the onrushing sweet malt avalanche. Grape and raisin notes are first on the scene, quickly followed by tart apples, liquorice, carmel/toffee. Sublte spices provide an exclaimation mark. Faint nutmeg, ginger and clove notes.
******Deep breath*****
A touch of spicy hops closes the deal. Until the next sip unleashes the fury yet again.
Moderately thick in the mouth. Never cloying. The medium carbonation stays steady throughout.
Incapacitatingly drinkable. Drink this until your cerebellum ceases function. Menacing.
Amazing. One of Wisconsin's very best. Shit, one of THE very best.

cokes, Sep 17, 2002
4.7/5  rDev +15.2%

Finally, at a liquor store near me...I tore into the case before the owner even got the price entered into the scanner.

Thick pour, very yellow head, and an overall color of premium light maple syrup. Wonderful mouthfeel, much heavier than a Fest but not sticky. Flavor notes of light rum, some raisin, and a serious buttery toffee and floating caramel impression on the tongue. First rate cinnamon spice close. Satiny smooth, with senses of vanilla. Warming alcohol, great for cool weather. Exceptional amount of good old-fashioned great malt flavor and highly unusual in not needing a more "classical" balance. We have a first class brew here, one of the finest beers I've had.

ADR, Sep 12, 2002
4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

One of my all-time favorites...Billed as a doppelbock with an octoberfest feel...me and my brother do a lot of blind taste tests, and we were unsure what to do with this one..We placed it in our Doppelbock test in the spring and the Octoberfest in the the fall..It rated near the top in both....doesn't have the character of a Paulaner Salvator, but much easier drinking and extremly tasty....A guy could get in trouble kicking back more than a few of these as they are very tasty and very very easy drinking...A high quality beer from the King of Bocks/Doppelbocks..

ZAP, Jan 26, 2002