Orval Trappist Ale - Brasserie d'Orval S.A.

Orval Trappist AleOrval Trappist Ale

Brasserie d'Orval S.A. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 09-18-2001

to view more.
Ratings: 4,776 | Reviews: 2,193
3.49/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.25

Just not my thing. Compared to the taste of other Belgian Trappist beers this just doesn't impress me as much. Well-made but the flavor profile was a bit disappointing. Positives: excellent carbonation (maybe a bit too much though) and interesting bottle.

4.93/5  rDev +17.4%

I,m a huge fan of Belgian beers and this is the best of the best in my opinion. Fantastic in every way.

3.84/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottled on 1/14/14 BB 1/14/19

Extremely lively carbonation takes several pours to get it in the glass. big white foaming head sits on top of the dark yellow liquid.
Smells of sweet malts and pears. Taste is of spices and pears with a touch of white grapes.
Feel is highly carbonated that dances across the palate but ends dry with a slightly wine after taste.

This is the start of my resolution for the summer to get a better baseline understanding of the classic Belgian beers . Orval is certainly not bad but not sure if I will return to it very often. I am certainly glad to have it under my belt however as far as beers I have experienced.

3.42/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Didn't live up to the hype for me. Herd great things from this brewery but I have to say I don't think I would buy again. So many other Belgium trappist I would choose over this.

3.57/5  rDev -15%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Feb 13 and Sept 14 side by side. Didnt enjoy either, though fresher was better. Astringent mouthfeel from both.

3.74/5  rDev -11%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle. bottled on 4/15/13. drank 5/12/15

A caramel in colour with a huge head.

S green apple, light fruit, pears, brett funk

T taste follows the nose with green apple, pears, brett funk, slight spiciness.

M very carbonated. likely from the brett

O pretty good

2.44/5  rDev -41.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

This was a caramel colored beer, it had lots of foam when it was poured. It has a nutty scent to it. It tastes very sweet and you can definitely taste the nutty hints. It made me want to brush my teeth after consuming because it felt so sweet.

3.3/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

small bubbles with an amber color. Malty and sweet

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I will pass on this one if it is offered up again.

Not my style.

Hate to be a Philistine, but I didn't like it. Too sweet and it tasted almost like wine.

3.46/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Color - Mild brown

Aroma - Hint of spice, herbal

Palate - Smooth, sweet, spicy

Overall - Unique profile, good beer

3.92/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

It's a classic. Awesome bottle. Nice big head, coming out the top of my stemmed glass. Complex smell and flavor, spices and sweetness and bitterness. Perfect mouthfeel. I'm just not sure I really enjoy the flavor, it's almost medicinal. I understand the appeal for others, but I just don't think I'll be looking for this anytime soon.

2.89/5  rDev -31.2%

Compra: www.elcervecero.com
Opinion: Sabe un poco como a rancio. Desde luego es la trapense que menos me gusta, de lejos...

4.37/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Medium brown color. Malty and sweet

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Lasting foam, cloudy and golden. Interesting smell-- like melons and somewhat salty. It tasted smooth and slightly savory. I also got hints of citrus/orange. Definitely unique.

The best trappist ever!!! Great aroma. Amazing taste.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

outstanding Belgian that is mighty tasty

3.43/5  rDev -18.3%

The color of this beer is a medium orange/brown. The aroma you get is a slightly fruity with a hint of spice smell. Tasting this beer it is sweet and spicy with a really bad aftertaste.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured out cloudy. Very airy head. Has a peach copper kinda color to it. Smells fruity sort of. Wow ok sweet then bitter. Then Belgium yeast. I'm not disappointed at all.

3.49/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not my type.
A little bit hop taste and sour

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I remember trying Orval many, many years ago when I was first geiing into beer and thinking it was okay. I almost feel ashamed now, realizing what a truly great beer this is. Unique yeast notes on the nose have floral and spicy characteristics. The flavor changes from initial taste to the finish, and changes further as it breathes and warms a bit. I don't find it funky in a traditional Brett sense, but it adds another flavor layer that all comes together.
Different and special, this is one to go back to over and over.

3.81/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Tastes very bready. Pours a lot of foam. The taste improves greatly over time after you pour.

4.87/5  rDev +16%

Sour, funky, smooth, delicious. Can be drank cold, cool or at room temperature, and will reveal different complexities and aromas at different temps. Notes of cherries, fruit, citrus aroma. Should be served in a chalice or tulip glass. A world class trappist ale.

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Used to drink this a lot and just thought it less satisfying than most Trappist ales I drink. But a couple years later, drank it at a craft beer bar in a nice oversized wine glass and liked it more than ever. Interesting but a good interesting.

4.39/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a beautiful golden Amber with good frothy head which slowly dissipitates. Smells are subtle. Black cherry, honey sweetness, and a spicy zing. A definite malty sweetness comes through at the back of the tongue. A very well balanced, yet highly carbonated beer leaves a dry mouthfeel. Fab!

to view more.
Orval Trappist Ale from Brasserie d'Orval S.A.