2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Orval Trappist Ale - Brasserie d'Orval S.A.

Orval Trappist AleOrval Trappist Ale

Reviews: 2078

Brasserie d'Orval S.A. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 09-18-2001)
View: Beers (2) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Orval Trappist Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,892 | Reviews: 2,078 | Show All Ratings:
mmthompson33

Kansas

A legendary beer. Drinking an Orval is a unique experience each time - the fruitiness, subtle maltiness and high alcohol make it one to remember. Not many beers can do that, and no beer has been able to imitate Orval. Orval has that aura that very few beers ever achieve.

10-22-2001 19:36:48 | More by mmthompson33
Reverand

The true Nectar of the Gods!!! If I had to be stuck on Island this is the beer I would take with me. With it's golden amber color to the incredible white head. The taste is impeccable an absolute frenzy on the taste buds.

04-01-2002 04:52:57 | More by Reverand
beerluvr

Ontario (Canada)

Pours with a rocky, craggy, long lived white head over hazy orangey/gold liquid. The nose is ultra fruity, clean and inviting. Taste is a flash of sweetness before a huge surge of hoppiness mixed with yeast fruitiness fills the mouth. A crisp and acidic mouthfeel gives an impression of light bodiedness. Finishes dry and bitter, complex in it's taste. The reason I chose to delve deeper into all beers Belgian. THE Trappist ale...just wish it wasn't so gosh-darned expen$ive. One of life's great luxuries!

01-11-2003 21:46:31 | More by beerluvr
WVbeergeek

The bottle alone makes this beer piece of art, along with the brewing tradition of the trappist ales this beer still being brewed by the monks of the Orval Abbey. Appears a slightly hazy amber brownish orange with a creamy crown of off white foaming head. A good friend of mine describes the aroma of this beer as a barnyard minus all of the cow shit smell. What I think he is referring to is the wild herbal spices that added to this beer, just amazing. The wild spices contain lemongrass, peppery orgegano like herbs, and the ultimate combination of malt and hop bitterness. The taste is a major wow, a grainy herbal spiritual experince exists in every sip mising spices and flavor galore. I love this beer and I must say I'm not worthy of it so complex, I feel that everytime I try it will contain another experience. Mouthfeel is smooth with a medium to light body, let's just say if you have the opportunity to try this one you have been blessed. Very drinkable, but best enjoyed one at a time to savor and enjoy all of the complexities this beer has to offer.

5-22-10 vintage date- 7/29/2009 best by 7/29/2014

This beer has an angelic experience about it, the slightly hazed glowing amber body just lets the beer gods sing down on you. The head forms chunky like clouds in the heavans. Lacing is fine intricate Belgian style all day. Aromatics bring out the barnyard funkiness that makes this a new experience everytime I've come across it, again more zestiness sharp citrus appeal from the hops with a spicy pepper kick that just works so nicely here. Acidic nature waves in as well bringing out lactic acid notes and cider like comparisons in my brain. The more yeast that makes it into the glass the funkier it gets. Drinkability and mouthfeel are great, definitely a brew I will always cherish. Effervescent and drinkable but definitely needs to be enjoyed with a good meal.

05-02-2003 10:38:13 | More by WVbeergeek
CharlesRiver

Connecticut

11.2 oz bowling pin shaped bottle. Very unique and very cool. Pours out a tannish brown with a huge fluffy white head that lasts and lasts. The smell is hoppy, earthy and herbal. With hints of something medicinal and chalky.

The taste is not what I expected at all. Smooth and mellow in the beginning. Giving way to more hoppy notes and alcohol. The flavors kind of intensify all the way through to the aftertaste. Fruity, herbal and dry at the end.

This is not what I expected but I love it. Very unique. The dryness and hoppyness makes this beer for me.

08-18-2004 22:26:59 | More by CharlesRiver
lastauss

Washington

I'm embarrassed to say that it has taken 8 years since I first tried this beer to get my thoughts (and feelings!) posted on the "inter-web." I must start by saying that it is my all-time-favorite commerially available beer.

There is no food I have met that it doesn't pair well with. I have cooked with it (I've got the Orval Cookbook- in French), served it in place of champagne, drunk it while gardening, given spoonfuls to a teething child (Oh, don't be such a prude! I had the parents' consent!). I have converted International-Style-Light-Lager-Only-Drinkers with it (after filling their minds with tearful accounts of my trip to the brewery). And yes, I buy it by the case.

What else can I say? It is the worlds' perfect drink.

09-24-2004 04:22:58 | More by lastauss
neonbrown82

Nebraska

Another delicious Belgian. This is my first Belgian Pale, though. It is actually quite a pleasant change from the intense sweetness of other trappist dubbels, tripels, and quadrupels, and strong ales. Very, very delicious, and if the drinkability could go any higher than 5, I would be sure to give it that. I believe this beer is well deserving of my second ever 5 star rating on BA.

The beer erupted into a large frothy white head regardless of the careful pour. The foam refused to subdue itself, but created little dimples in the surface. The smell was the first thing that hit me as I popped open the cap. It smelled and sounded like a sparkling champagne, even tasted a bit like one. Also in the smell was something that seems to be lacking altogether in many Belgians... hops! It is by no means a hop monster, though, as the malt character clearly shows through in both the smell and taste as well. This beer is perfectly balanced between maltiness and hoppiness, in my opinion. The mouthfeel is so incredibly smooth I can't wait to take another drink. The finish is slightly dry and reveals a bit of alcohol even though is not a very huge beer at 6.9% (according to the label). As I said before, drinkability is off the charts. If you ever get a chance, buy some. I can't believe this is one of the last trappist ales I've tried. If Westy 8 and 12 can live up to their hype, I think I will have reached beer nirvana if they are better than this.

02-06-2005 05:15:29 | More by neonbrown82
ReebShorts

Washington

11 oz. bottle, Poured into oversize wine glass. Darkish Orange color, frothy head that settled into a thin white top layer. It looks good.

Wow, there is some stuff going on here. First thing is flowers, like a boquet of wildflowers, there is some fruit present here too, maybe plum and apricot... i need to taste and find out what's going on here.

Oh my, never had anything quite like this, strong spicy flower taste, like I just drank some potpourri mix. Not bad though, the initial flavor is quelled by an abundance of carbonation, and some spicy hops. This is actually getting better with every drink, this is really good. I wish a had a couple more, but at $5.50 per 11 oz bottle I'll have to pace myself on these.

Mouthfeel is excellent,thhere is quite a bit of fizzy carbonation present but is is fine and easy to deal with, plus necessary to cut through the power of the flower.

Edit: ok, i've had a chance to drink this one several more times, and was trying to be somewhat conservative in my early reviews. But I simply love this beer, and see no reason to not give it perfect marks. Wish I had one right now....

08-18-2005 04:58:43 | More by ReebShorts
Mandrake

Nova Scotia (Canada)

Pours a fairly dark cloudy orange, very warm and with glinting sunlight coming through. The head is massive, and so thick that it almost feels like cotton candy. Leaves incredible rocky lacing all over the sides of my chalice, and maintains a thick covering over the surface for as long as the beer lasts. Aroma is insanely complex. Subtly alcoholic, which surprised me given its fairly modest ABV. Spices and breads are the dominant aromas. Lots of fruits, ranging from the very dark (raisins and plums) through the light and delicate (apples and bananas), with citrus and gloriously rich sweet malts. Incredible. Tastes bready, musty notes of brett and wild yeast. Spicy as well, cloves and pepper in the mix, with lots of fruits (banana and orange are predominant) as well. Long and sour finish. Mouthfeel is very creamy and nicely carbonated. Full and very warming, superb. Drinkability was incredible for a trappist. I wanted to keep drinking these all night. Nothing warms me up quite as well on a snowy night as Orval does. Gets better every time I have it, and is now one of my absolute favourite beers of all time. Flawless.

12-24-2005 18:40:45 | More by Mandrake
kimcgolf

Georgia

While I have been rating beers for only a short time, I have been DRINKING beers of all kinds for 35 years. The taste and finish was so good, that I refrained from drinking or eating for a long while after, to make it last. I plan to try another Orval some time soon to make sure I am consistent in my opinion, but as of right now, I have to say that Orval is the best beer I have ever had.

07-01-2006 10:12:31 | More by kimcgolf
jeffaz02t

Arizona

A: Pours a great dark-gold color. The head is beautiful.So thick and creamy. It was 3 inches, but it kept growing from the middle. Very cool looking.
Aside from the look of the actual beer, the bowling pin style bottle is the coolest bottle I have ever seen! I do not know why but I really like the actual bottle!

S: Cloves, spices, some yeast as well. There is also a hops scent that I have never really smelled before... Actually pretty nice scent. I cannot wait for the head to go down a little more so I can drink this brew. My mouth is watering from the smell of this beer.

T: Hint of spice, nothing over the top. I taste some very tasty yeast in this brew. Very unique hops flavor; again I have not experienced a taste like this from hops. VERY tasty brew.

M: I want to say the mouthfeel seems oily (this is not a bad thing) . This beer rocks.

D: I am glad I picked up a few cases of this. I would have trouble rationing just a few bottles. What a great, drinkable beer!!! My fav. of all time... Very distinct from other beers. This, in my opinion, is the greatest beer in the world!

01-11-2007 22:19:00 | More by jeffaz02t
Halcyondays

11.2 oz. bottle,

A: Sparkling burnt orange with an illustrious white head.

S: Earthy hops upfront, with wet hay, horse blankets, brett funk, and fruity yeast esters.

T: Wow, o' so complex. I don't know where to begin. First the delicious aromatic hops hit you, with the great brett notes to follow. I taste wool, rosemary, sage, grass, old leather, lots of lemon/orange, horse blankets, and some lactic acidity.

M: Incredible - very dry and bitter - so appetizing. The carbonation works wonders and just dances on your tongue.

D: Incredibly drinkable for a beer of this complexity, it can be used as an aperitif, as a perfect complement to a multitude of dishes, or as a perfect drink just by itself. This is my favourite all time beer, I knew it from the first moment I tried it. An absolute masterpiece, I can't say enough about it. Absolutely worth the $4.79 I paid for it. How this isn't in the top 100 is beyond me, but maybe it's just a little too odd and different with the brett. But in my opinion, if this beer is available anywhere in your area - go buy it now.

Edit (6/2010) - Looking back 5 years almost since I first had Orval. This beer is King. At it's peak nothing can overcome. The complexities and flavours in this beer are just incredible, I don't know what could make it better. This beer is almost $6 now, and it's still the best bargain in the beer world. If there is anyone on the fence reading this, go for it, the $6 you pay will change the way you think about beer forever.

07-07-2007 20:20:11 | More by Halcyondays
goochpunch

Bottled on 27/3/07.

Pours out a hazed apricot with abundant carbonation and a humongous, thick head which looks like whipped egg whites. Leaves some raised, bubbly lacing. Smell is a mix of pale malts, light toast, fruit and spice (coriander, passion fruit, banana, apple), and an overall bretty funk. Hops are pretty forward in the smell and come off as herbal and grassy. Flavor starts off with some yeasty fruit and spice atop a malty backbone. Hops start to peak out in the middle and remind me of rosemary. Finish comes around as extremely dry, a tad sour, and with some funk. Mouthfeel is rather light , but not watery by any means, and has a carbonation that is bubbly and lively, but manages to be extremely smooth at the same time. It's hard to keep the glass down with this one. Incredible.

I highly recommend this one as fresh as possible. I've had this beer at almost a year old before and it does not compare to like relatively fresh bottle.

07-22-2007 04:09:02 | More by goochpunch
simonjohansson

Sweden

I´d noticed this one in my local store for a rather long time, but I never tried it until recently. I was pretty bored with the old stuff, so I decided to try something new. And man - this is an excellent beer! Smell is fantastic - spicy (sage? thyme?), a bit sour; black currants, apples, somekind of candy (bubblegum?), sweet malt. In the taste, the spices come forward even more, together with different fruits (currants, apples, some sweeter tropical ones too), grass and some sweet malt, plus a really nice, balanced bitterness, and a dry finish. Excellent mix of sour, bitter and sweet notes.

Perhaps my favorite beer.

09-30-2008 00:33:37 | More by simonjohansson
HeavyG

P: 11.2 oz. bottle. Brewed and best by date on the label.

A: Poured a very nice amber color with a good 2 finger head. The lacing on this beer was great.

S: The smell was light and alomst flowery.

T: The taste was a bit strong at first. After you have a few sips of it, it opens up to a really good and smooth beer.

M: It was very soft on the tongue.

D: By far one of the most drinkable beers out there.

11-30-2008 22:54:10 | More by HeavyG
scruffwhor

Pours a lovely golden amber, great effervescant bubbling, and the perfect thick foamy head and stickage with every sip. The picture of Belgian pale ale. Crisp hrbal spice aroma, that evens out with sweet honey like malts and maybe an earthy hop finish. This smells awesome, no other words needed. Starts out with a dry biscuit malt and honey sweetness with a splash of tea-like spices. The dryness turns to a gentle, tart apple skin. Complex palate starts sweet and finishes dry to tart. Lots of flavors and textures to this beer. I'm glad this beer is sold individually instead of via a six-pack and such. Also the $4 and up price in my area, really makesyou apprecite this beer that much more eery time you buy it.

This is the best Begian pale ale I'e ever had... hands down!!!

03-08-2009 06:44:02 | More by scruffwhor
cdrogers

First, I have to admit I'm somewhat biased when it comes to the Belgium Trappist ales. I've had nearly everyone, except a Rochefort, including the Westvleteren 12, several Chimay, Westmalle tripel, but this is my favorite right behind the Westvleteren 12.

Pour: Poured from the bottle into a traditional orval siliver-rimmed goblet at about 45 degrees.

Smell: The smell reminds me a lot of a mint-chocolate cookie, with just a hint of the mint.

Taste: Very smooth taste. Mild hoppy flavor with a slight bitterness on the back of the tongue.

Head: Truly one of the best heads of any ale. Very thick through most of the glass, starts to evaporate toward the end.

Drinkability: This is one I have the pleasure of keeping in the house quite often and drink it a lot. Not a cheap one but the stronger alcohol content makes it one you don't need many of, if that's the goal.

Exceptional and highly recommend.

03-08-2009 07:19:51 | More by cdrogers
Bitterbill

Wyoming

Bought locally for $3.50.

It pours a cloudy orange gold with a 3 finger head of foam(served cold) with lots of lacing.

The smell is yeasty and bready with some good notes of funk.

The taste has the Brett and yeast at the forefront followed closely by some pepper, light clove, and some hop bitterness which shares finishing duty with some funk. D-licious. Oh, I've had this many times before as I picked em up from CO before but I'm somewhat aghast that I haven't reviewed it before.

Medium bodied with a rather high level of carbonation, I'm having a hard time not raising the glass to my mouth which leads to....

Drinkability. This is one of my favourites so it's damn drinkable for me and the goodness of the Brett is one big factor steering me that way. A world class brew!

Edit: After having so many great experiences drinking Orval, I had to go back and give it a perfect 5.

05-29-2009 23:27:03 | More by Bitterbill
azorie

Ok this is a new review after I deleted my old ones. The wife bought me a Orval glass, so I had to pour it into that. On my list of my top 5 this is a number 2.

A: Orange amber and cloudy in color with a insane 4" white head cloudy white lace, leaving rings, even after 5 minutes there still there.

S: Citrus, juniper, herbs and hop flowers.

T: a first its very dry lemon and orange, with a bit of hops and juniper. Smooth and crisp. its just a top notch, old fashioned beer than american brewers wish they could make. The sweet candy sugar is there but its just barely, its so well balanced with brett yeast its heaven in glass. the hops are sharp but well in balance.

M: Dry and medium body, great after taste.

D: geez this is the great beer to drink straight up or with food and/or cheese its just out of this world. I can never drink just one and even at 5 bucks a pop I always buy 6. This is the one beer worth it, well as most of the Trappists are.

06-29-2009 18:46:34 | More by azorie
bulletrain76

Re-rerate: Four and a half month old bottle. Stunning. The last few bottles have proven this to be a truly perfect beer. There is so much variety depending on age, but that makes me love it even more as it can be multiple beers for multiple moods while still being outstanding in every iteration. The hops and fruity esters are phenomenal in younger examples, with brett and dry elegance taking over as time progresses. This truly is a perfect five, and it is a tragedy that it's not appreciated enough to land in the top 100 when it makes the vast majority of the beers on the list look sloppy and poor.

Re-rate, 11/26/07. I've finally come around to re-rating this almost three months later, and Systemblaget still has bottles bottled on the same day, so I'm getting a sample with 9 months of age instead of 6. It may be that the beer has evolved considerably in those three months, or it may be that I have evolved as well since one of my first ratings, but this rating experience is very different from the original. The pour is a clear orange/amber with an absolutely massive lasting head. Bubbles stream from everywhere to sustain the mountainous foam for quite some time, until you wear it into a creamy layer that laces all the way to the bottom. Beautiful to say the least. The aroma is a little different than I remember: dryer and much more complex. Yeast, sour fruit, hops, bubble-gum ,and cloves hit you to start. Very spicy cloves. As the beer warms, more sugar comes out, with some caramel and a good helping of sweet cherries with a lingering acidity. The flavor is dryer than I recall; much dryer than the aroma would lead you to believe. Hop resin scrapes your tongue with a lasting bitter finish, and a slight citrus acidity rides over it all. The body is light and heavily but smoothly carbonated, with a long bitter and lean finish. the alcohol taste that was present before is completely absent now. I'm awe-struck at the complexity of this beer. I didn't know that you could smell so many amazing things in one glass. It's like a whole table of spiced christmas confections, and I'm loving it. It's leanness and dryness also make it supremely drinkable, which is more than I can say for any other Trappist ale that I've had.

(original rating) From a bottle in Lund, Sweden on 8-28-07. Pours a murky golden orange amber with a substatial head that stays for quite awhile in a tulip glass. The aroma is probably one of the best-sweet apricots linger with tangy lemon and spicy cinnamon. I was expecting a better flavor out of this, but something was lacking. There was a good mouthfeel with heavy carbonation, but an intrusiveness of alcohol lingered over it and ruined the flavor. The bitterness in the finish was definitely refreshing, but for a beer bottled at only 6.2% ABV, there shouldn't have been this prevalent of an alcohol taste. I'll definitely give it another try.

09-18-2009 23:56:37 | More by bulletrain76
Avagadro

A: Pours copper in color with an impressive amount of sudsy head. Lacing is extensive, though most of it is hidden by the brew's haziness.

S: Potent bouquet is reminiscent of lemon zest, hay, and damp soil.

T: Bone-dry with the tell-tale funk of Mr. Brett. This delicious brew tales off with a subtle hop bitterness that pairs well with the funky flavors.

M: Thin body with an assault of prickly carbonation.

D: A must have for any fan of Brett, or anyone who is interested in seeing what farmhouse funk is all about. A world-class one-of-a-kind brew that is well worth seeking out.

11-22-2009 01:14:59 | More by Avagadro
BlackHoleBrew42

Colorado

A- Golden amber Nectar, huge head, beautifully and highly carbonated

S- oooh, theres the brettanomyces... noble hops, i think Styrian Goldings. getting goosebumps.

T- Good lord. I dont know why, this beer just makes sense. Not to sout, beautiful hoppiness, but not bitter. perfectly balanced sour sweet bitter. Good lord.

M- As before, high carbonation, delicious lingering sourness, a tear comes to my eye as the flavor fades...

D- For me, my desert island beer.

Theres a store here in Colorado that sells bottles for $2.49 a piece... might need to go buy a case, although i might drink it all in a few days. Seriously. Amazing stuff. I love these Cistercian monks, got to make it to the brewery some day. Soon.

12-04-2009 04:55:07 | More by BlackHoleBrew42
boldcity2008

A: The color is a deep orange amber and cloudy in color with a insane 4" white head cloudy white lace, leaving rings, even after 5 minutes there still there.

S: Some pine hops, lemon and orange, something juniper like, lots of herbs and hop flower resin, but not piney, grapefruit like I guess. Brett is there of course.

T: Just out of this world. So it starts very dry lemon and orange, with a bit of hops and juniper and lots of brett in the front end. The sweet candy sugar is there but its just barely, its so well balanced with brett yeast its heaven in glass. the hops are sharp but well in balance.

M: Dry and medium body, great after taste. Smooth and crisp

12-13-2009 17:12:07 | More by boldcity2008
JamisonM

Arizona

A: huge head and a copper color poured into a Lost Abbey tulip

S: its funky, its bitter, its sour, bit of grapes like champane

T: taste is like the smell its very complex mask the alcohol so very well its not overly sour or bitter just right and a bit of funk comes with it.

M: Light mouth with tons of carbonation tickles the tongue but this never feels thin always brings a lot of flavor to the party

D: may I have another? nothing wrong with this beer.

01-23-2010 19:33:08 | More by JamisonM
Eisen

Washington

This is my favorit Trapist beer to date; it, in my view is better than Chimey- but very different. Having triied in Chinese "cafe" for $4 out of a wine glass, of which I spent a few miniuites trying to explane why I wonted a glass and particularly that glass, It is by far one of the best beers I have triied. I wont lie, the Chinese air killed my nose and so I can just tell by every thing else that the beer smelled like heaven. The taste was very different, very oylde fashined and very not sweat and not bitter. It was light and crispy but also heavy and wonderful. I could sit and drink these for years.

06-20-2010 16:19:50 | More by Eisen
Orval Trappist Ale from Brasserie d'Orval S.A.