2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Orval Trappist Ale - Brasserie d'Orval S.A.

Orval Trappist AleOrval Trappist Ale

Reviews: 2078

Brasserie d'Orval S.A. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 09-18-2001)
View: Beers (2) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Orval Trappist Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,885 | Reviews: 2,078 | Show All Ratings:
kjyost

Manitoba (Canada)

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Walked into the Liquor Mart today, and what the heck? Orval? Gotta pick that up...

Bottled on 04/01/2010 ABV 6,2%

Poured stiffly into a Leffe chalice that is not nearly large enough, with 2/3 head and 1/3 beer. The beer itself is golden to orangey. The head quickly descends to a small cap leaving lacing all the way.

What a fantastic aroma coming off he head though. Initially a tiny bit of funk came through, but it took we a moment to notice the oriental lily that was very strong. As that aroma weakened the essence of barnyard was coming out, perhaps with a hint of my wet dog, but that could just be me being crazy.

The beer itself is incredibly interesting with a light sourness and funk. When the remnants of the bottle are thrown into the chalice that lily flavour plays across the palate. No substantial bitterness. Different flavours are prevalent in each sip. Sometimes the malt plays through, other times different aspects of the funk, often it is floral esters.

The mouthfeel is a little weak initially, likely due to the stiff pour as the carbonation is almost flat. It gets better when the rest of the beer is poured in, becoming smooth and creamy with a light finish.

Drinkability? Hell yeah. This is lightest drinking trappist I have tried. I suspect though by the third it would quit being so complex, but still just flavour country...

EDIT: 09/24/11 Bottle aged 1.5 years. Strong lily notes have disappeared, much stronger barnyard aroma play through with a stronger finish on the palate. Not remaining hop aromas / flavours are apparent. Not as good as fresh.

09-24-2011 23:32:00 | More by kjyost
cbarrett4

Oregon

Poured into my Karmeleit tulip (man chalice):

Pours a dusky, hazy orange with an insane amount of head with fantastic retention. Smells of funky citrus and flowers, lots of yeast backing it up. Seriously elegant and floral.

Taste centers on malts with a good kick of bready yeast, orange blossom, and dried nectarines. A tad sour but only faintly so.

Texture is rich and layered without being heavy or overly alcoholic. Fine balance of astringency with the sweetness, though light on both. Really well delineated.

Overall one of the best trappist ales out there. And my personal favorite trappist brew.

10-21-2011 21:36:26 | More by cbarrett4
Cru

Montana

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

My favorite beer. The perfectly balanced flavor profile. Just enough sour to keep the malty sweetness common in the Trappist Style from taking over. Most of the other Trappist style beers tend to be far to malt-forward for my taste. But I love this beer, I might have married it if I had known about it before I met my wife.

High carbonation, often overflows on opening, head can take some time to dissipate. Straw to copper color.

Strong fruit nose, strong sour apple but clearly the intended flavor. Balanced bitterness. Very clean mouth feel. No lingering after taste.

12-19-2011 22:10:56 | More by Cru
rdespain

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

One of the most original and funkiest beers ever made! Drinking it makes me feel like I am walking through a hay field during the early harvest. Lots of cows grazing around in the fields, freshly pollinated flowers, and funky fresh smells all on the wind. Love the beer, have had it fresh (less than three months old) and aged (3+ years in bottle), and I love it every time. Every bottle is different but the funk and the pure farm freshness remains each time.

05-15-2012 20:37:31 | More by rdespain
chanokokoro

Poured from a 11.2 oz. uniquely shaped bottle into an Orval chalice

Pours a slightly hazy orangish amber with a two finger clean white head. Abundant lacing visible along the sides of the glass. Smells of citrus and flora with a hint of pine. Seems to be a medium-bodied brew at first but finishes light, very dry, crisp, and clean. Tart citrus rind and grass dominate with dry, fruit tones throughout. Fantastic dry Belgian pale ale. Definitely one of the very best available.

06-11-2012 02:38:15 | More by chanokokoro
Marc_V

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Bottle from Belgian Beer Shop.com. I drank this one cooled. This gives the beer a lot more freshness. It's a wonderful thirst quencher. The color is hazy amber with a nice off-white head that leaves lots of lacing.
The aroma is very hoppy, fresh with a touch of fruitiness (citrus). The taste is perfectly balanced between the hop bitterness and the fruity sweetness. The beer is also yeasty. This is by far my all time favorite. A true classic that can be drunk on every occasion.

11-20-2012 18:29:56 | More by Marc_V
JamesQuaff

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured into a Duvel tulip from an 11.2oz bottle, with a bottling date of 08/18/2011. Gifted to my on my birthday by a good friend with great taste and extreme patience. Told myself I was going to wait for a special occasion, but today thought "wouldn't cracking this aged Orval MAKE today a special occasion?".

A: Pours a rich copper-orange with a dense and luxurious one finger head which leaves rather thick fingers of lacing that slowly retract completely into the brew. Plenty of carbonation rising up from the bottom of the glass. Beautiful.

S: The nose is giving me something different every time I go back. Wildflower honey, banana, grains, some pepper, a tiny bit of horehound candy, tropical fruit, and a funky barnyard vibe toward the back. Belgian all the way. The honey seems to come up to the front to me the most.

T: Oh man... the taste. This beer is absolutely sublime. Subtle initial hop bitterness fades into a slight honeyed sweetness which gives way to a most delicious funky finish. Kind of like how you can taste the Asturian hill country in Cabrales blue cheese or taste the ocean in a fresh oyster. This fleeting idea of a flavor note that floats away from the finish must be what an abbey tastes like. Mind-blowing.

M: Medium-bodied, creamy and smooth. The carbonation is luxurious and velvety.

O: Definitely one of the finest beers to ever cross my lips. Hands down the best example of a BPA I've ever had. This was my first encounter with Orval, so I've never had a young version to compare with this one. I will absolutely be adding a few bottles to my growing collection and sampling them at various ages.

03-25-2013 00:00:02 | More by JamesQuaff
putnam

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Lunar-eclipse orange with a massive, stiff head. Another aromatic triumph. Pine needles, sourdough, orange peel and clove all take turns on the nose. There is a really medieval feel to the aromatics. This is the beer they drank in Middle Earth, all resinous, peaty and full of crackling wild enzymes. The flavors are pretty and refined, somewhat in contrast to the nose. Sourwood honey, nutmeg, and roasted starch appear. A dry beer overall. A very fine, powdery grain on the finish. One unique beer.

10-02-2002 16:24:08 | More by putnam
TheLongBeachBum

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

A One-Beer Trappist Brewery (OK - I know they do Petite Orval, but it is not generally available), brewed with 2 yeasts, the latter of which being a composite of several yeast strains, including Brettanomyces (of lambic fame), a beer that undergoes three distinct fermentations, and it is dry-hopped with English Hops. Wow!!. This is no “Run-of-the-Mill” Belgium Trappist Beer; it is, in all fact, probably the singularly most unique and certainly distinctive of all the Trappists.
Gorgeous looking Orangey-Amber color when poured, with a well developed covering, the bubble size diminishing as you rise up the profile of the head. Fantastically - Fabulously - Fruity nose. Perfume almost to the point of being intrusive, yet it invites you to delve into this immensely complex bitter beer. You are not disappointed, bitterness is very prevalent but “other almost indescribable” tastes abound. It really is so hard to explain this beer properly; Hop-Oils, Perfumes, Xmas Spices, almost Phenolic aftertastes – it’s all there. And the balance of these tastes, changes dramatically with its age. I have drunk Orval “fresh”, 1, 2, 3 and 5 years old. For me it is at its epoch between 1 and 2 years old. At 5 yrs old, it was flat and had no perfume or bitterness, and was very dank & musty, fine for a lambic - but not good for Orval. Also, if you intend to Cellar this beer, you MUST keep it Upright, Cool AND Dry – for the crown caps have a very nasty tendency to rust if the bottle is kept on its side, or somewhere damp, I know I lost a whole a whole Crate to Oxidation!!!
Unique, Very Distinctive, and a One-Off Trappist that is quite "English" in a strange way.

10-10-2002 22:18:04 | More by TheLongBeachBum
Sigmund

Norway

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

(330 ml bottle, ABV 6,2%). This fine beer is cloudy deep golden with an enormous creamy head. It has an intense, overwhelming but lovely aroma of ensilage, horse stable, leather and spicy fruit cake. The flavour is complex and spicy, hops stand out, the aftertaste is dry but could have lasted a little longer. Still, this is clearly a world class beer. Definitely moreish!

08-12-2003 20:25:24 | More by Sigmund
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Pourred an orangy brew with what I consider to be the most beautiful beige head. Head retention for Orval is what other brewers should aspire to since it is the longest lasting I have ever experience. Taste is of complex spice with great fruit aroma. Also, great wheat taste with a strong body. One of the best trappist in my opinion.

11-25-2003 15:24:37 | More by Phyl21ca
brushpig

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Slim the bartender at the Hopleaf suggested this fine brew. Served in a tulip glass.

Amber orange appearance with a huge frothy head.

The aroma of flowers citrus light spices.

The taste is something special, smooth, but very complex with lemons, hops, tart, bitter, flowers. All this with a perfect balence that makes this a joy to drink. Not a overwhelming ABV (6.20)
which makes this very drinkable.

This is one of the traditional belgiums that is a must try.

03-06-2007 15:18:00 | More by brushpig
SickBrew

Washington

Holy Sh!t.

Purchased from "By the Bottle" in Vancouver WA.

Poured into a chalice and marveled at the persistent bountiful head. Outstanding aroma - the standard for Trappist Ales. Holy Sh!t, because this beer tastes phenomenal and needs no complicated review. Definitely give this a try.

08-12-2008 00:02:19 | More by SickBrew
ommegoose

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Purchased at Evanston First Liquors. Bottled on 4/24/2007, best before 4/24/2012.

Foams up incredibly fast and is a little difficult to pour. A mountain of foamy head develops and lasts and lasts. Pale gold with heavy carbonation to start, but turns into a nearly opaque murky brown when the sediment is added. Significant lacing.

The first thing that catches my nose is lemony tartness, followed by herbal and grassy notes. Like potpourri, or an herbal tea.

Full of lemon and herbal flavors. Maybe a hint of honey. Not very sweet at all. Finishes with a hint of spearmint. Hops are there with some bitterness, but they are pretty subdued at this point in the aging (about 18 months). I need some help picking out the flavors, but I know I like them very much. So unique and different with every sip. Amazing.

Dry. Very dry. Carbonation was not as bad as I expected from the pour. In fact, it's pretty smooth and slightly creamy.

I restrained myself because this is expensive and in relatively short supply, but I'd love to drink about four of these in a go. So dry, and that flavor keeps calling you back for sip after sip. A hyped beer, but lives up to it easily. I'm stunned that this is not a top 100 beer. A true classic.

10-21-2008 05:28:11 | More by ommegoose
sccala

Rhode Island

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured out of a bowling pin shaped brown bottle. The bottle was, or at least seemed a bit heavier than the average 11.2 oz bottle. Poured into a dry, room temperature pint glass.

A- Ooo baby! A light gingerbread color with an incredible head...4 finger collar...1 finger of which rose above the rim of the glass. Consistency of the head is that of home made whipped cream. It didn't completely vanish until I was over half way done drinking the beer. Slightly above average lacing.

S- Good, wholesome, feel-good smells here. Pine trees, a bouquet of flowers, herbs...not much hops though.

T- Wheat, lemon, more hops here than in the smell. Nice and crisp and refreshing, yet dry, not sweet.

M- Perfectlly balanced tastes, perfect carbonation, medium body. In my opinion, the after taste reminds me of the after taste you get from Chimay grand reserve.

D- This beer is surprisingly easy on the palate and stomach. Doesn't fill you up instantly...which is actually unlike most trappist style ales. And with a modest 6.9% ABV, you actually can drink and appreciate each one.

11-26-2008 02:31:24 | More by sccala
CityBoy1986

Mississippi

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured into a snifter from an 11.2 oz. bottle. My batch was bottled on 6 May 2008, best before 6 May 2013. I think I'm safe ;-).

The pour is a hazy shade-lighter-than-copper with two fingers' white head. Retention and lacing are nice.

The nose is like a flowery version of gin--juniper mixed with floral notes. Some light citrus is also in there I can smell the alcohol, but it is in the background. The taste again contains juniper, flowers and citrus, but all are nicely balanced. Again, there is just a hint of the alcohol. The dry finish seems to last forever.

The mouthfeel is light, but not too light. Carbonation is nice and crisp. Drinkability is high; this is an exceptional sipping beer.

This is the most I've spent on a beer per ounce, and it is worth every penny. Whenever I have some extra in my pocket, this will be in my house.

03-20-2009 09:23:52 | More by CityBoy1986
SugarBunny

Maryland

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Served in a chalice and eaten with chocolate cake.

The color was golden and it smelled delicious, even though I had a cold at the time.

A lot of the yeast character comes through as it warms up (which I let it do). It was very complex, with even hints of fruity tones. It went really well with the chocolate cake I was eating, which I wasn't sure it would. I love chocolate cake, and it put the chocolate cake to shame.

It was also really carbonated, which I expected and do enjoy, although it makes me drink it more slowly, which is ok with me.

I'm looking forward to the next bottle I have in the fridge.

04-30-2009 01:16:28 | More by SugarBunny
Doomcifer

Rhode Island

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Wow...I haven;t had one of the Bad Larry's in a while!

Bottled on 2/20/08 ; pretty old bottling but should still be great.

Pours a bright golden color with a fantastic rocky, frothy, sticky head that retains unbelievably well. Mass amounts of lacing sticks to the Chimay glass. Smells of brett funk, yeast, vinegar, leather...tons of things going on here. Tastes of tons of funk on the palate, tart cherries, with a huge backbone of IODINE. Reminds me of a spirit ie single malts in it's crazy complexity. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, lots of carbonation, prickly on the mouth, and dry finish. Drinkable on the fact that you can't put it down while you're trying to figure out everything that is going on inside this extraordinarily unique beer.

05-13-2009 20:14:39 | More by Doomcifer
eclaycamp

Kansas

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Orvall is arguably the most recognizable and respected of all the Trappist breweries, save perhaps for Chimay. Orval is immediately identifiable by their unusual bottle shape. It looks like a small brown bowling pin.

12 ounce bottled pulled into a rudimentary glass chalice. I poured this one slowly and tossed out a bit to avoid having the beer overpowered by the yeast cake on the bottom of the bottle. The beer is tangerine in color, more orange than I remember. It's the color of sun tea. Small bubbles make up a larger rocky head. Nice lacing that looks a lot like dish soap. Solid inch worth of head on this one, even with my conservative pouring efforts. Smell is amazing, intoxicating. I get some light hits of yeasty clove and bananas to start things off, before things get a little more hefty. There's a strong fruit presence here, with some cherry standing out for me. Im also getting a distinct apple presence. Combined with the malt profile it's almost like smelling a hot apple pie. There's also some clear earthy barnyard funkiness going on. Mouthfeel is light, almost to the point of effervescence, and there's very little in terms of bitterness.

I haven't had Orval in quite some time. My first real drink in a long while just takes the concept of Trappist beer and turns it directly on it's ear. Huge amount of dry and musky Brett yeast can be found through out the beer, adding an incredible amount of flavor. Hop character is relatively muted, though it's there up front. Reminds me of pear cactus. While there's a ton of things going on, the beer remains an absolute joy to drink. The light body makes this a very quaffable beer, though the flavor profile encourages you to meander. As the beer warms it offers you more, as the brett notes start to highlight more of the caramel malt profile.

Those with a patient palate will find that this beer offers a level of enjoyment few others can match. For me, it's so good it borders on ridiculous. There's really nothing to fault within this beer. Impeccable, simply incomparable. Highly recommended.

09-06-2010 18:20:36 | More by eclaycamp
AlexLMS

Portugal

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Appearance: slightly hazy with a deep copper colour. The head is moderate to low in size, kind of off-white and well-formed. It may not be long lasting but presented some nice lacings.
Aroma: wonderfully complex, very spicy, strong herbal hops and fruits (mainly orange-citrus).
Taste: confirms the aroma with sweet malts, spices, herbal hops, citrus, honey and sweet alcohol presence.
Mouthfeel: smooth, low carbonation, warming high alcoholic strength, and full body
Finish: goes on forever. Starts dominated by its bitter side and slowly shows its spicy character.

Overall: superb beer. Extremely complex, unquestionable deserves its spot as one of the best beer of the world.

10-18-2010 15:59:41 | More by AlexLMS
mynie

Indiana

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Resplendent pour, like a honeycomb peacock. Or like Duvel, only thicker, manlier, less like champagne and more like beer, expect for it's just as fancy and just as beautiful.

The aroma is lightly sour but still dry and spicy, sort of like a saison only without the crisp summeryness.

Tastes like a whole new kind of good. It's aggressively fizzy, unlike most other trappists, and so it hits you more like beer than like wine. And I mean that in the most non-judgmental way possible, just as a simple observation: if you sat one of these and a Westy 12 in front of a guy who's only drank Bud, he'd say this is more beery.

The complexities are big Brett, mild ripe fruit, and some dry European hops. It all very dry and yet very sharp, and most of all it tastes like it's alive. This isn't like anything else I've ever had before. The feeling is like when you visit a new, majestic physical place--and maybe you've seen pictures of it before, or maybe you heard about it, but that's nothing like *being* there*, and the newness of it all makes every little part of it seem especially vibrant.

12-13-2010 05:32:50 | More by mynie
Chico1985

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

A classic Belgian I've put off for far too long. Bottled on date is 6/1/10...a little over 8 months old at this point. Poured this into a tulip glass.

Opens with a very loud hiss. Pours a beautiful amber/orange with an indestructible white head that retains like a champ leaving good lacing as well. Hazy but not much sediment seen. Beers really don't get much better looking.

Brett-effected fruits dominate the smell. Mostly light fruits like lemon, pear and apple but some red grapes as well. Oak and funky barnyard are plentiful as well, this is musty yet bright and fruity at the same time, great balance.

Much like the smell, a superb balance of fruity, funky, sweet, sour. Drinks very much like a lite-lambic or wild ale without the bracing sourness. Lemons, pear, apples, hints of berries throughout. Funky, cheesy barnyard, basement, and big hay/grassiness throughout as well. Bready malts very noticeable, especially in the finish. Some alcohol here and there. Sweet tart/candy sweetness. I start to get a magically delicious vanilla yeasty flavor towards the end of it all.

Mouthfeel is extremely carbonated, but somehow not a bother and strengthens the beer overall in my opinion, it's very light and fluffy. Funk overtakes a bit with warmth.

Amazing, pretty much. Definitely hits its peak once it warms up some. The fact that this isn't in the top 100 with nearly 1,700 reviews is slightly disturbing. The price is hindering but I will buy this as a once-in-a-while treat, and probably a couple to cellar as well.

02-06-2011 22:32:28 | More by Chico1985
aorloski

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Appearance - Poured into a Duvel tulip this one pours a gorgeous orange, burnt sienna, rust color, huge 3 finger tight head on this one, bubbles screaming from the bottom.

Smell - This is a ridiculously good smelling beer, so many aromas and scents ill try my hardest to even try to pinpoint them. I get sweet fruits right up front, like a light sour beer, some cherries and raspberries but its all wrapped up in a little lemon zest and barnyard funk with an amazing sense of belgian yeast. If i close my eyes its almost like i am smelling an incredibly complex quad.

Taste - WOW, so this is what all the talk is about. Seriously this is one of the best belgians I've ever tasted and I've had a lot. Okay, here we go..As it sits on the tongue i am greeted by a pungent sweetness, almost like a fig with some cheese, there are sweet fruits here like grapes with prunes in the background. I sense some nice lemon zest too like the nose and the belgian yeast lends to an incredibly nice funk to bring all these flavors into one quintessential belgian beer. Just unbelievably complex, dont even read my review, go buy one.

Mouthfeel - Nicely carbonated, swishes nicely over the tongue to allow all the flavors to yield.

Overall - Ive been an avid beer drinker for a few years now and always read about how good this beer was. For some reason i couldn't bring myself to pick one up for 7 bucks a bottle. I finally did and WOW, this is easily one of my favorite belgian beers I've ever had the chance to try, so complex with a ton of nuances. I am a privileged man.

01-22-2012 22:40:43 | More by aorloski
MattyG85

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured from 11.2 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip glass. Bottled on 22/04/2010. Best before 22/04/2015.

Appearance: Pours a deep and very hazy brownish orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. Huge six finger off white head that almost climbs out of the tulip. Head slowly fades to a thin layer leaving a lot of lace.

Smell: Funky Belgian yeast with a huge aroma of tropical citrus fruits that really jumps out. Hints of pineapple, mango, orange, and grapefruit. Also some hints of banana, apple, pear, and dark plums and raisins. Some noticeable candied sugar and a mild presence of earthy hops. The complex fruits really stand out.

Taste: Like the smell, a big complex mix of fruits with yeast and some hops. A good amount of Belgian yeast adds some balancing spice. Among the big taste of fruit are notes of banana, pineapple, mango, grapefruit, orange, lemon, apple, pear, sugar, and some subtle dark raisin and plum. Hints of earthy hops in the background. A very complex and great taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with a medium to high level of carbonation. Chewy and prickly. Finishes fairly dry.

Overall: An amazing ale. A great and tasty mix of fruits with just enough spice and hops to keep things in check.

03-24-2012 05:56:56 | More by MattyG85
ProudBeerSnob

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured from that funky bottle into a Unibroue tulip. Funky beer, funky bottle.

Marvelous appearance. Dark orange hazy color with that thick head that takes on the appearance of meringue in texture.

Smells of tart citrusy even lime. Can a beer smell dry.

Crisp, tart but not so much that it makes you pucker, just lick your lips and say yummy.

The most unique beer ever, simply a joy to behold and to drink.

04-11-2012 01:25:23 | More by ProudBeerSnob
Orval Trappist Ale from Brasserie d'Orval S.A.