Orval Trappist Ale - Brasserie d'Orval S.A.

Orval Trappist AleOrval Trappist Ale

Brasserie d'Orval S.A. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 09-18-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Orval Trappist Ale Alström Bros

4.58/5  rDev +9%

Pours a hazy amber / orange color with a crazy amount of head. The head is off-white and has pretty good retention. Smell is of light malts, some wheat, spice and yeast. Taste is very smooth. It starts light but comes in with strong taste in the middle and end of my sip. In the taste I detect a slight sweetness as it first touches my tongue, then I get a slight bit of funk with some light malts, in the end of the taste I get some pepper as well. The mouthfeel is tingly due to the strong carbonation, medium bodied beer. Overall this is a dang good beer, a favorite for me in this style.

4.45/5  rDev +6%

375 ml Bottle poured into a rochfort chalice. Bottled 7/2010.

Pours out a lightly hazy, crisp light brown with 4 fingers of billowy off white head that laces the glass and lingers.

I hadnt read any reviews prior to cracking this one - i was surprised to find that the smell is dominated by the Brett - lightly sour and peppery, with bready malt underneath.

Taste is complex, yet light. Initially it's peppery and mildly tart (lemon), with a bit of spice before fading into some bready malts. Finish is very smooth and refreshing.

Feel is delightful. Light, crisp, somewhat creamy, prickly carbonation that still manages to feel soft.

Overall - a great beer. Not what I was expecting, but delicious. It will definitely be showing up in the fridge again.

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Bottled on 12/30/09

Poured into a chalice, it has a dark copper color with enough haze that you can't see much through it. The head foams up quickly, and leaves a massive, thick white head on top. A lot of carbonation bubbles are visible in the glass.

The aroma is a nice mix between lemony hops and a fruity, funky yeast character. The brettanomyces adds aromas of leather and rainfall. As I understand, this beer changes a ton with age, but I like where it is right now.

The mouthfeel is very dry with a lot of carbonation but with a firm substance. This beer leaves a drying, leathery feel on the finish. Malt flavor and sweetness seems to stay out of the way, but the funky brett flavors and bitter finish take over. It has a deep, earthy flavor to it with the flavor of dirt, wet leaves, and wild flowers. The finish has the combination of bitter hops and leathery dryness. There isn't much acidity, but the brett leaves a salty flavor throughout.

This beer is really interesting. I'd love to get this again for food pairing or age variations. I'm sure my review would be different each time I had it.

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a love or hate beer, I compare it best to the Dallas Cowboys. The only difference, I love this beer.

The pour is this massively alive frothy cauldron explosion. Not explosion to the point of losing ambrosia, just some heady bubbles. Amazing retention and lacing.

The smell and taste are both amazingly complex. I could write different details about every singly sip, but let me say that some light pepper-citrus notes blend with some citrus-funk to amaze the senses. Changes all the time, sour to sweet to hoppy to malty to wtf...stop changing you crazy beast....

The mouthfeel is incredibly dry without being even slightly offensive, nice..very nice.

I could drink a few of these, great beer.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Re-rerate: Four and a half month old bottle. Stunning. The last few bottles have proven this to be a truly perfect beer. There is so much variety depending on age, but that makes me love it even more as it can be multiple beers for multiple moods while still being outstanding in every iteration. The hops and fruity esters are phenomenal in younger examples, with brett and dry elegance taking over as time progresses. This truly is a perfect five, and it is a tragedy that it's not appreciated enough to land in the top 100 when it makes the vast majority of the beers on the list look sloppy and poor.

Re-rate, 11/26/07. I've finally come around to re-rating this almost three months later, and Systemblaget still has bottles bottled on the same day, so I'm getting a sample with 9 months of age instead of 6. It may be that the beer has evolved considerably in those three months, or it may be that I have evolved as well since one of my first ratings, but this rating experience is very different from the original. The pour is a clear orange/amber with an absolutely massive lasting head. Bubbles stream from everywhere to sustain the mountainous foam for quite some time, until you wear it into a creamy layer that laces all the way to the bottom. Beautiful to say the least. The aroma is a little different than I remember: dryer and much more complex. Yeast, sour fruit, hops, bubble-gum ,and cloves hit you to start. Very spicy cloves. As the beer warms, more sugar comes out, with some caramel and a good helping of sweet cherries with a lingering acidity. The flavor is dryer than I recall; much dryer than the aroma would lead you to believe. Hop resin scrapes your tongue with a lasting bitter finish, and a slight citrus acidity rides over it all. The body is light and heavily but smoothly carbonated, with a long bitter and lean finish. the alcohol taste that was present before is completely absent now. I'm awe-struck at the complexity of this beer. I didn't know that you could smell so many amazing things in one glass. It's like a whole table of spiced christmas confections, and I'm loving it. It's leanness and dryness also make it supremely drinkable, which is more than I can say for any other Trappist ale that I've had.

(original rating) From a bottle in Lund, Sweden on 8-28-07. Pours a murky golden orange amber with a substatial head that stays for quite awhile in a tulip glass. The aroma is probably one of the best-sweet apricots linger with tangy lemon and spicy cinnamon. I was expecting a better flavor out of this, but something was lacking. There was a good mouthfeel with heavy carbonation, but an intrusiveness of alcohol lingered over it and ruined the flavor. The bitterness in the finish was definitely refreshing, but for a beer bottled at only 6.2% ABV, there shouldn't have been this prevalent of an alcohol taste. I'll definitely give it another try.

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Brown bottle, 33 cl size, bottling date & best by date printed on label. This sample was just over 1 year old.

Medium gold, somewhat amber in colour. Slightly cloudy, with fast moving carbonation moving through the golden liquid. What a head! Just slightly off white - and incredibly huge. It slowly settles, very slowly, leaving lace all over the glass. Some puffy clouds are left floating on top.

An intense aroma - hops, herbs, a hint of something sour, & wet wool. Incredibly complex.

It passes the lips and leads off with a playful touch of sour wet leather. It continues with fresh herbs, spring flowers, and fresh cut grass. All of this is brought home with some acidity and then goes very dry. Very dry.

Medium bodied, brisk carbonation, very smooth.

Some of the sour / acidic flavours begin to take a toll on the tongue long before its finished. But overall, I'm very impressed.

When I poured the yeast, the smell was of manure. I'm not sure why I decided to drink it, but I'm thankful that the taste was nothing like the aroma. The yeast was somewhat tart, with a bit of pepper.

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%

Serving type - 11.2oz stubby brown bottle with best before date printed on back. the site says 6.20% by volume but my bottle says 6.90% by volume

Apperance - light orange/brown amber color outstanding head plenty of lace to go around. very impressive

Smell - sour-citric smell. acidy fruit comes to mind such as lemons limes. floral smells linger. slight sweet smell

Taste - tart spicy taste up front. crisp finish with a definite hop presence thats excellent. floral and plant tartness that really sticks Mouth feel is decent with good carbonation and a little watery feel.

Note: this is one fine ale. loved it from start to finish..just too bad its so high priced and very hard to find in my area.

3.38/5  rDev -19.5%

Bottled on April 22, 2009. This is a relatively young bottle of Orval.

A: Pours a cloudy orange-amber with a massive off-white head that rockets towards the top of the glass. Thick sheets of lace remain on the sides of the glass and a heavy disc of foam remains atop throughout.

S: There's some noticeable apple and pear fruitiness, a floral component, a hint of peppery alcohol, and a faint musty horse-blanket like aroma. I'd say the predominant component is the fruitiness, but overall the aroma isn't too intense.

T&M: First bottle I had of Orval I really disliked. This bottle I disliked initially, but now about 1/2 way into it, it's growing on me a bit. Pale malt, a dry fruitiness, some leather/horse blanket/funk flavor are all upfront. A metallic and aggressive bitterness comes in late--this is rather hoppy for a Belgian! I'm thinking that some age would settle down those hops (this bottle is quite young) and hopefully reveal some additional complexity on the finish. Body is light to medium with an aggressive carbonation that works well with the bitterness.

D: Well, it's been a bit difficult to get down this glass, mainly because of the intense metallic flavor on the back end.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured a beautiful copper with a very nice head. Just like in my dream I had were I was sippin a very special concoction with royalty.

This beer makes you feel like your really experiencing something worth lending your attention towards.

A good glob of head kept me company throughout the whole bevi. And so did a sweet aroma representing a candy flavour wich provided a mouthfeel from the heavens.

This is a good one. One of my favorites. I recently made a trappiste ale and the best one of mine that I tasted came out of the Orval bottle I used during bottling. Maybe its a monk-like sign. Fishy at the least, get it.

Orval Trappist Ale from Brasserie d'Orval S.A.