Orval Trappist Ale - Brasserie d'Orval S.A.

Orval Trappist AleOrval Trappist Ale

Brasserie d'Orval S.A. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 09-18-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Orval Trappist Ale Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev +6%

Very large but tight white head great retention and lace. Clear filtered golden body.

Funky Belgian yeast and spices, green apples, and lemony citrus.

Acidic bitterness citrus and lemony tastes present throughout. Apples and spices are present here as well. A nice dry wine-like finish.

Nice complex beer. A very special brew. High carbonation. The booze is present, but it only adds to the complexity and nice dry finish.

bfields4, May 26, 2011

Amerikon, Apr 07, 2013
4.45/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Another tasty brew courtesy of a great trade with Adouble. I raise my glass to you, sir!

Appearance: Whoa, it appears we have ourselves a gusher! With what I thought was an easy pour, the beer nearly overflows clean out of my DFH Off-Centered pint glass. I barely got half the bottle in. I suppose carbonation isn't going to be an issue with this bad boy! Anyway, aside from the mountain of head (which is fading slowly, by the way), the beer is a cloudy, amber color that is surprisingly vibrant for a pale ale.

Smell: The smell is surprisingly strong for a pale ale. It reminds me more of what I'd expect from a tripel, or even a mild quad sans the sweet candied fruit. The smell is sweet, with a classic Belgian yeast characteristic. Outstanding.

Taste: In every aspect so far this beer has surprised me. The taste is no exception. For a Belgian Pale Ale, this beer packs some amazing flavor. There's a nice sweetness to the brew, with a bit of a grassy quality to it, all wrapped up with a nice Belgian-y finish. This is very very good.

Mouthfeel: If I had one grip about this beer, I would have to say that the mouthfeel is a bit thin. Maybe given the style it's what it should be, but with every other quality of this beer being so robust, the mouthfeel was a bit of a let down. Not necessarily bad, but not up to par with the rest of the beer.

Drinkability: I have to give this beer top marks. I've seen it on the shelf before, but I've always passed it by. I can safely say that that is a mistake I will not make again. This beer is fantastic, packing some immense flavor in a sessionable package. Coming close to 7% ABV, I don't think I could pack away too many in an evening, but I'd certainly give it a good shot. Definitely recommend.

krisandajt, May 01, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

After pouring my Orval, I found a foamy, pitted head with fairly large bubbles sitting atop a fragrant, glowing orange-red brew. I'm pretty excited about this beer, as I didn't get a chance to try it while I was in Belgium last summer, and was thrilled to find it at Ashe's last month in Knoxville.

Smells nice and Belgian, with an indescribable roundness and distinct, fruit-sour appeal. Upon further review, I think what I'm trying to get at in the roundness is the "hay" character that others have described.

Sourness (somewhat reminiscent of the gueuze I had a week or two ago, though in taste only) is the first taste to dance across my tongue, followed by a mellow wheat tone and a crisp, dry finish. This beer fills the mouth nicely, and is very, very drinkable, so long as you enjoy the sour notes (and I do).

I didn't really know what to expect with Orval beyond very, very general thoughts (like TheJoj's "Orval is my favorite Belgian beer"), but it's definitely made a good impression as my first Trappist, despite the fact that I think I expected something closer to a Belgian Pale Ale. Either way, it looks like I'll be taking regular pilgrimages to Ashe's on my trips home from college for this one.

Spoils of the 10/11/03 Knoxville Raid.

RockyTopHeel, Nov 23, 2003
4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Orange/ golden with red undertones with substantial rocky head. Primo lacing. Beautiful.

Soap, horse, honey, lemon, and apple aromas.

Savory flavors like horse, popcorn, and biscuit upfront and in the middle which gives into tart-fruity lemon zest, pear, and green apple flavors. Finishes bone dry and with a very clean taste. Very unique and flavorful.

Light dry, and spritzy on the tongue rendering this is an easy drinker and a complex one at that. Classic and so unique.

bosco7, Jun 26, 2007

Los1324, Aug 16, 2013

mattyrubes, Jan 21, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

Nutwood, Sep 14, 2012

j0hnc2468, Jun 05, 2014
4.24/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a hazy orange with a huge white head that settles into a lacy cap. Complex aroma of yeast, caramel and funk. Earthy with a hint of hoppiness and some barnyard. Medium body with light carbonation starts and finishes bone dry. Super complex and superbly crafted, though I would expect nothing less from one of the worlds great beers!

JohnG190, Jun 19, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

MrNate, Mar 29, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

pastramionrye7, Jul 17, 2013

yossarian14, Sep 12, 2012
4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

Bottled on 13 Nov. 2008. Best by 13 Nov. 2010.

Pale copper with loads of silky white head. Tons of carbonation; nice clarity and great head retention.

Aroma has plenty of Belgian yeast spice notes, some clove and definitely spicy coriander. Lemony citrus aromas and some other fruity notes. Underlying this is a definite nice earthy funk aroma.

More spicy yeast notes, the definitive Belgian trappist flavor. Paired with very musty, earthy and funky Brett notes. The flavor is brightened nicely with a lemony acidity.

Crisp and well carbonated, silky. The earthy Brett characteristics make for a very heavy body that is somewhat fatiguing to the palate.

A lovely brew all around. Great yeast and spicy notes; and the Brett pairs quite nicely with the brighter acidic and fruity notes.

goldbot, Jun 24, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

OleDixie, Apr 20, 2013
4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

This is a beautiful, active pour. Golden amber with a monstrous head reminiscent of a (root) beer float. Active carbonation on the way up and swirls of sediment on the way down. Subtle, clean grain smell with spiciness on the fringes. Eminently smooth texture with a complex palate that ranges from a sweet, malty start to a very crisp middle and dry, warm finish. A very pleasant find.

BitteBier, Apr 14, 2003

fisherbray, Apr 24, 2012

CORKSCREWFISH, Jan 09, 2013
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured into a tulip. I've always passed this up due to its easy avilablitity.
A- woah pours with a huge fluffy white head, orange and pretty clear.
S- I get banana, sweet, bready, funk, hay,
T- nice and hoppy, dry, champaign like taste, straw, some citrus fruit, some funk
M- pretty carbonated
O- very good, I expected a lot more of the traditional coriander and banana. It is a very good, glad I finally tried it

brewtus, Nov 26, 2013

bca115, Jul 03, 2013

ThrashMaster, Aug 09, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Flashyspoons, Mar 03, 2013
Orval Trappist Ale from Brasserie d'Orval S.A.