Orval Trappist Ale - Brasserie d'Orval S.A.

Orval Trappist AleOrval Trappist Ale

Brasserie d'Orval S.A. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 09-18-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,688 | Reviews: 2,168

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

Hazy orange amber with a fluffy white head. Lots of nice lacing and excellent retention. The head lasts forever.
Smells a bit floral, and somewhat funky. Some lemon zest.
Taste is slightly fruity. A bit of tartness and a brett funk. A nice hop bite gives some slight citrus flavors. Lots of tart fruit tastes. Extraordinarily smooth and crisp feel. Highly sessionable, yet incredibly complex. A balance that is hard to find.

This is one incredible beer. The only downside is that they are a bit pricey, being sold only as single bottles for over $5 each. If not for the price, I could drink quite a few of these in one evening.

After having had it a couple times relatively fresh in the states, I drank an aged Orval while in Belgium. It was possibly the best beer I ever drank. The brett takes over and leaves the fruit and hop flavors in the background. It is funky perfection.

2.26/5  rDev -46.3%

2010 bottle poured into my Duvel tulip.

A ~ I was impressed with how much of that amazing head I got from the significantly slow pour. A good 4 fingers. Cloudy light orange, lots of lace as the head dissipated.
S ~ Some barnyard funk, wild berries...actually not too much else that I could pick up on.
T ~ The funk is stealing the show here. I'm getting a peppery taste as well, and a slight touch of medicine. Very dry and no sweetness whatsoever.
M ~ Light, and very carbonated
O ~ I was very excited to post my first review; and thought this would be a great start with the #2 ranked BPA!
Either a got a bad/poorly stored bottle, or I'm simply not a fan of Belgian Pales.
I love most other Belgian styles - but this was my first BPA. It may take awhile before I pick up another, but I'm sure I'll give it one more try...someday.

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Bottled on 06/14/2012. When I opened it up, it shot out of the bottle. Poured into Duvel tulip.

A: Poured with a huge froathy white head. Lacing coating the glass. Golden orange body. Carbonation is very apparent.

S: This smells incredible. Both sweet and funky from the mix of the fruity Orval yeast and the funky brett but neither is overpowering. Slight aroma from the hops. Just what I was hoping for.

T: Mix of bit sweet bread from the cara and pale malts, spiciness, tart, funk from the yeast and bitterness from the hops. Great - Complex and unique but I think this could better.

M: Low-medium body. Would prefer a little more body actually. Crispy and very carbonated. Maybe a bit too much for my liking. But smooth as fuck, and refreshing.

O: This brew stands out from the other Trappist beers in a number of ways. Like I said, it's complex and unique and certainly drinkable but there's room for improvement. I'll be drinking this again.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Orval Trappist Ale from Brasserie d'Orval S.A.