Orval Trappist Ale - Brasserie d'Orval S.A.

Orval Trappist AleOrval Trappist Ale

Brasserie d'Orval S.A. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 09-18-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Orval Trappist Ale Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

A-purred it from a bottle, rich tick foam, small bubbles, enjoyed it very much
S-smell is wonderful: fruity and spicy, it really gets to you when you open it and than you have big expectations.
T- light, fruity and spicy even sour, but it smells better than it tastes. No aftertaste. Weird.
M-sharp, spicy, bites you for tongue somewhere back,

3.6/5  rDev -14.3%

A-beautiful copper, full head that shrunk to 1/4 inch, bottled 2.5 years ago, May 19, 2010, 6.9 abv

S-wonderful: pears, ginger, banana, clove, fruity and spice

T-bright assault on front of tongue with fruity spice, but I was looking for way more flavor...very crisp and refreshing and then quickly disappears with a pleasant residue of fruity hop oil and sour yeast. It's clean and crisp--almost cider-like, but I wanted more layers. Am I drinking it too cold?

M-really effervescent, too much? Dances on the tongue, that's for sure.

O-everything was perfect...and then I was let down when the beer was actually in my mouth. Not bad...but I was disappointed.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Nice honey color. Liked the foam a lot. It covers the full surface forever and I value that. Smells like typical Belgian Ale yeast - very very yeasty. Tastes a bit sour and yeasty again. Medium body. I think it's a food beer meaning it's better with food then just by itself. I am having it now with garlic mashed potatoes, rutabagas and roasted chicken and roasted garlic on top of watercress. Quite pleasant.

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

4.2/5  rDev 0%

A – Dear sweet holy baby jesus mary joseph and john. Would you have a look at that beer. I don’t even want to drink it, I want to ask it out to a fine dinner and slowly woo it before I take it home to be with me forever, and just stare at it. It is perfect looking. Beautiful golden amber color with loads of carbonation dancing up the glass, HUGE beige/off-white head that simply will not quit, crazy lacing, so much yes. Yes, yes please, yes.

S – The smell is gorgeous as well, it’s sweet and citrusy and hoppy and definitely a little bit funky with a grassy and earthy element to it as well. It’s just so very pleasant though.

T – The taste is good. Perhaps even very good. A little bit let down though to be perfectly honest. I was expecting…well, I guess something more. After the appearance and the smell the taste is a tiny bit off. It has a really nice very slight tartness, citrus, barnyard/wet hay funk (in a lovely way) but it’s not really very sweet and not very bitter either and it’s lacking the spice that I have grown so fond of in trappist ales. It’s just slightly underwhelming really. It’s still good, but not quite elite, unfortunately.

M – The mouthfeel is very nice, I will concede that. Rather light body, a ton of carbonation, dry finish.

O – Overall it’s good. But it’s not unbelievable, and not the best trappist ale that I have had. I’m sorry.

….I’m going to leave this somewhat open. The more I drink it the more it’s growing on me. I’ll return to this and give an update, this shant be my last Orval.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Been too long since I've had an Orval so picked one up today at Trig's Cellar 70 in Minocqua, WI. Dated 17/11/2011 and taken from fridge and poured into St. Bernardus goblet.

S: Tart, tangy, little funky. Herbal dry hop aroma wafts up. Bready malt with light caramel or toast smell. No alcohol.

A: Deep amber to light copper. Beautiful pillow of white foam slowly drops into a thin layer with ring as I enjoy the beer. Sticky lacing.

T: Dry hops coming through in nice, herbal hop flavor with light but balancing bitterness. Nothing astringent even hints through. Tiny amount of Brett funkiness, but more in aroma than taste. Malt sweetness is present but is phased out by hop flavor. Hint of alcohol on the finish, but no excessive heat.

M: Probably my favorite part of Orval. Highly "digestable," and yet full in mouthfeel all the same. The fluffy carbonation helps fill the mouth and carry the beer over your tongue. The hop bitterness lingers as a dry mouthfeel. Slight amount of enamel-etching acidity.

O: A must try for any beer geek and one of my favorites in the world. This may be a desert island beer for me. I've yet to have a bottle more than about a year old, so haven't appreciated any of the higher level of funk that aging Brett will bring out. World class, indeed.

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Now 6.2% ABV.
Pours murky amber-brown beer with huge resistant golden head. Aroma of fruits and flowers: apricots, gueuze notes (i.e. horse sweat), pine resin and more. Awesome! Magnificent dry & rather bitter (belgian IPA?) taste. Yeasts and herbal hop. Warmth & bitterness, bitterness & warmth. Outstanding specimen.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

As I was really too lazy at this point to go down and fetch my orval chalice I simply use my Chimay chalice instead. I don't think the beer will even Know!

Knew this beer was going to be aggressively carb'd right from cap pop. And it was. The color is a slightly hazy orange amber. The head is quite sizeable, and with the carbs being so aggressive, fades to just a half inch and persists to the end.

Aroma is malty lite hops yeast some funk from a hose stall.
Taste is quite good, tart and yeasty malty Beliqum style bready. Not much in hops, this is a Beligum pale ale and I wasn't expecting alot.

Spritzy and bright on the palette from the carbonation bubbles. Dry and thin but not in flavor.

A very good beer with great depth of flavor to go along with it visual appeal.

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Orval Trappist Ale from Brasserie d'Orval S.A.