Orval Trappist Ale - Brasserie d'Orval S.A.

Orval Trappist AleOrval Trappist Ale

Brasserie d'Orval S.A. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 09-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Orval Trappist Ale Alström Bros

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

11.2oz bottle dated 29/2/2012 & best Before 2017 poured into an oversized wine glass.

A: Darker gold in color with a bit of haze (tried to be careful with any yeast) and a huge creamy off white head.

S: Big fruity and musty aromas; floral in a really pleasant way. Orange peel, lemon peel, funk, earthy Brett, even some faint tropical fruit, pear, a good amount of white grape skins, and hints of raisins. Pretty similar to muscat white wine.

T: Same as the nose, fruity and funky; citrus rind, musty and earthy Brett. Definite lemon and even lime (reminiscent of Sprite actually as this beer seems to be heartily carbonated initially). White wine...a bit of barnyard begins to take hold as it warms. There is some hop bitterness, so this beer isn't overly sweet or tart.

MF: Fairly light to medium bodied, with some nice carbonation. Finishes with a Bretty dryness and notes of hop bitterness.

O: Really unique and diverse, and at the end of the night I liked it. Definitely a sipper and something to enjoy as it warms and different flavors emerge. This bottle is around 10 months old, and I'm sure older bottles taste vastly different because of the Brett. Not something I would seek out again, but a good beer.

Photo of
4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from bottle into a dfh snifter bottle date 20/05/2011 best by 2016

A: pours a hazy brownish amber with a fat finger of very creamy lookin, very very slightly khaki colored head, excellent retention and lacing...'great looking beer.

S: light sweet citrus, kiss of caramel,a bit of lemon peel and earthy Brett funk, the more this beer warms the less I like the aroma, a very stanky horse hair note starts to come out. Apple, pear.

T: very nice apple and pear flavor with a touch of sweetness, into a bitter orange/lemon citrus rind. Some light floral notes in there as well. The finish reminds me of tart green apple skins. Very tasty and complex, the bitterness caught me a bit of gaurd.

M: very lush and very very dry, nice moderate creamy carbonation...

O: this is a very unique and very tasty brew, really enjoyed this.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

EDIT: Sat on this for at least six months and I think it had aged considerably. Had some Orvals since this review and they were sublime, far better than my aged version.

A: Dulled copper. Some strings of champagne bubbles barely visable. Large off white head, typical of quality Belgian pale ale. Looks great.

S: Whiffing from the bottle I get a most beautiful scent of fruity hops which is strong but refined and delicate. From the glass it's a different story. The hops are overwhelmed by a second vinegary pong which is very pungent. Is this what people mean by horse blanket? Absolutely foul!

T: Very dry and bitter. Pleasant bath watery hops with delicate earthiness. A perfumey citrus fragrance breezes across the tongue and pervades in the finish with a not so prominent bread flavour. It has that kind of English hop profile that I associate with bathwater but it's a refined one. Again, very bitter. Reminds me of when I have trouble swallowing a paracetamol and the bitterness lingers.

O: A real quality beer, no doubt about that, but I found it too dry and bitter. Wouldn't be a problem if it were balanced accordingly but from my experience bitter hops in Belgians tend to stick out like a sore thumb. It's definitely an interesting beer however and I'll have it again.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

4.83/5  rDev +15%

Hazy orange amber with a fluffy white head. Lots of nice lacing and excellent retention. The head lasts forever.
Smells a bit floral, and somewhat funky. Some lemon zest.
Taste is slightly fruity. A bit of tartness and a brett funk. A nice hop bite gives some slight citrus flavors. Lots of tart fruit tastes. Extraordinarily smooth and crisp feel. Highly sessionable, yet incredibly complex. A balance that is hard to find.

This is one incredible beer. The only downside is that they are a bit pricey, being sold only as single bottles for over $5 each. If not for the price, I could drink quite a few of these in one evening.

After having had it a couple times relatively fresh in the states, I drank an aged Orval while in Belgium. It was possibly the best beer I ever drank. The brett takes over and leaves the fruit and hop flavors in the background. It is funky perfection.

2.26/5  rDev -46.2%

2010 bottle poured into my Duvel tulip.

A ~ I was impressed with how much of that amazing head I got from the significantly slow pour. A good 4 fingers. Cloudy light orange, lots of lace as the head dissipated.
S ~ Some barnyard funk, wild berries...actually not too much else that I could pick up on.
T ~ The funk is stealing the show here. I'm getting a peppery taste as well, and a slight touch of medicine. Very dry and no sweetness whatsoever.
M ~ Light, and very carbonated
O ~ I was very excited to post my first review; and thought this would be a great start with the #2 ranked BPA!
Either a got a bad/poorly stored bottle, or I'm simply not a fan of Belgian Pales.
I love most other Belgian styles - but this was my first BPA. It may take awhile before I pick up another, but I'm sure I'll give it one more try...someday.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Orval Trappist Ale from Brasserie d'Orval S.A.