Orval Trappist Ale - Brasserie d'Orval S.A.

Orval Trappist AleOrval Trappist Ale

Brasserie d'Orval S.A. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 09-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Orval Trappist Ale Alström Bros

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

I had an aged, three-year old version of this and it was so complex and delicious. Very smooth and yeasty. Earthy. A hint of tart.

3.85/5  rDev -8.3%

Bottled May 20, 2011, poured into a snifter.

Deep carrot orange, with a heavy cloudy sheen. My fingers are just shadows on the other side of the glass. The head — airy, craggy, sand-colored — gets about three fingers tall then descends to about one before setting up camp.

Smells spritzy. Red apples and pear mix with just a hint of toast and caramel. Brett lends a subtle acetic bite and a hint of barnyard funk. Complex stuff.

The flavor’s more muted, though hints of the nose’s brightness shine through. Green apple and a touch of pear juice are offset by sweet caramel and increased funk. There’s just a touch of tartness, and pretty heavy bitterness. As I make my way through the glass, the fruits become more prominent, balancing the pleasant tartness nicely. Finishes dry as a bone.

Massive, prickly carbonation in a medium-light body. Fizz emerges as the liquid moves across the tongue.

Well, hmm. I’ve waited a long time to try Orval, and I respect its pedigree, but I have to say I expected more. It’s a little too bitter, dry and lacking in flavor for my tastes.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

330 mL bottle poured into a goblet. Fresh bottle. Bottled 10/3/2011.

Appearance - Frothy white head atop a hazy and even murky deep golden body. Everlasting retention and some sticky lacing down the glass.

Smell - Floral, fruity, slightly yeasty. Hoppy as well, but not a ton. Really fresh and bright flavor. Not as funky as I would have expected, but it's there.

Taste - Not quite as bright as the aroma, but nice. Hops are significantly more dominant and they drown out the fruitiness. It's got a lot of bretty flavors to it, also. I like those, but miss the fruit brightness. Strong bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Extremely dry. I find that it accentuates the bitterness too much. Still, light and refreshing.

Overall - Very fascinating beer. I have two. One to age and one to drink now. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of the other bottle.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Served at cellar temp from bottle poured into wide mouth goblet. Upon opening the bottle it hisses a very healthy carbonation and smells of yeast, lemongrass and a very clean musty attic. A clean pour with no sediment shows just how very carbonated this beer is and results with a very large head that crackles and pops receding into a great bubbling lace. A minute after the pour I put my head close to the glass and the beer is still bubbling and talking to me. Aromas from the glass are pale malt and cream. Beer drinks very dry and creamy with a bit of a pucker at the end, but not in a sour way at all. Almost like hay, dirt, mushrooms, and a very very good bread of a type that I have never had before. I am not experienced with brettanomyces but I think that is what this is and is flourishing in this beer. The beer was bottled on 29/07/2009 and that would explain this. It is all very enjoyable and makes me ponder at the end of every sip and I very much like this beer. So very smooth with no noticable alcohol. I could chug this beer if I wanted to quite easily, but that is not what I want to do. Then it would be gone and I would be sad. This beer is forcing me to enjoy it and I am sipping it slower than any beer I've had in a while. The bretty flavor stays in your mouth long after last sip is gone and that makes this beer all the more valuable. A beer that keeps entertaining the tastebuds even after it's gone. Orval trappists you have created a truly great beer and it's no wonder you only make two different beers. No need to make any more when you nail one perfectly. A 5 out of 5.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Orval Trappist Ale from Brasserie d'Orval S.A.