Orval Trappist Ale - Brasserie d'Orval S.A.

Orval Trappist AleOrval Trappist Ale

Brasserie d'Orval S.A. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 09-18-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Orval Trappist Ale Alström Bros
3.43/5  rDev -18.3%

The bottle I got was bottled on 1/31/06 and I drank it on 12/27/06, so it was about 11 months old. I poured this beer into a Chimay glass and it fit perfectly. The beer was a slightly cloudy amber color and the near white creamy head filled the rest of the glass. As with most belgians, the head stuck around for a while and slowly fell unevenly leaving nice lacing on the glass. The aroma is sour smelling, which matches the taste. There isn't enough sweetness to entirely balance the sour as in some other beers I've tried, but the sour flavor isn't bad either. It is fairly smooth for the sourness. Overall, I'm not crazy about this beer, but I would probably drink it again if it was aged more.

drseamus, Dec 28, 2006
2.42/5  rDev -42.4%

APP - Huge head! At least half the glass, maybe more. Light merky amber color.

SMELL - Wow, just take in all those smells. Soft malts. and lemon. Some kind of flowers. Very nice. I have hopes!

TASTE - A bit of a disappointment. Although I must admit I didn't know what to expect, so what's to disappoint? Well, I expected more from a Trappist Ale. It was crisp- yet watered down. There is also that unmistakable lemon in there, and now that I taste it, maybe thats not a good thing. At least for me.

MOUTH - It just feels very watery. I admit I most enjoy strong IPA's, so perhaps this disqualifies me. But this goes down TOO easily. Almost like, and I hate to say it, a Budweiser. Oooohh. Sorry.

DRINKABILITY - Probably good for some as it goes down easily.

NOTES - It may be good for some. If so, go for it! But for me- I am glad I tried it, but no. No.

stevecee2003, Dec 24, 2006
3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured a cloudy dirty orange brown color with a fantastic off-white head, some lacing but not much. I get a bit of a bubble gum aroma, though I am not sure if that should be accurate. It has a well balanced taste between the malt and hops. This is a Belgian that I can actually detect the hops. The mouthfeel is fizzy and a bit dry. This one took me a while to figure out. The flavor doesn't stand out right away like most Belgians but becomes a bit more pronounced as it warms. A very good pale ale, though not as spicy as other Belgian pale ales, more hoppy. Very drinkable.

Review dated 1/4/08, bottled 7/11/06

The head was equally as huge as my first review but this time it left tons of lace. Along with the phenol and grass/hop smell I also pick up some lemon and tart apple. The taste is quite earthy and has a funky sourness to it. Apples and lemon are predominiate with some medicinal flavors as well. The carbonation seems smoother on this sample. Definitely a different Belgian brew which seems to change with age.

Gmann, Dec 23, 2006
2.85/5  rDev -32.1%

First of all...what a classy looking bottle this came in (this beer was produced on 6/30/2005). It poured a cloudy light brown/tan color with a decent head and some lacing. Even though I poured carefully, yeast was noticeable floating in large clumps. The smell was floral and slightly spicy - very inviting. Where this beer took a downturn was the taste. It was bitter and floral, almost tasted like drinking potpourri. The mouth feel was thin and left a bitter coat on the tongue. I wouldn't consider this a highly drinkable beer, but worth a try as it might appeal to some taste buds.

barefootbrewer, Dec 23, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Purchased 12 oz bottle from Merchant's in Dearborn. Bottled 1/24/06....best by 1/24/11.

Appearance: Nice brown body with hints of orange around the edges. Off-white three finger head that slowly fades to a fluffy mass on top of this beauty. Very nice lacing on my DFH snifter. I bet this looks even better in the Orval chalice.

Smell: Brett, slight funk, and nice hops followed by oranges and more hops. Even a touch of tropical fruits. Man, I forgot how good the aroma was on this.

Taste: Nice balanced taste of hops and malt. Rustic brett like flavors come through paving the way to slight tropical fruit and orange notes in the finish. Quite smooth.

Mouthfeel: Slight hops hit the tongue from the start. Brett and slight tartness covered the roof of my mouth for a bit.

Drinkability: This is a very drinkable beer. If this were cheaper, this would be one of my normal session beers.

Haven't had this in a few years. It won't be another few years before I have another one. This is a nice transition beer for newer "beer" drinkers either to IPA's, wild ales, or other belgians. I recommend trying this to anyone. Haven't had too many beers quite like this. To me, it's like a toned down JP Oro de Calabaza....which is a good thing.

northernbrews, Dec 22, 2006

Poured out a nice amber with a good thick, fluffy offwhite head. Nice lacing as the beer went done. Smelled floral, sweet, with a handful of straw thrown in. A sharp carbonation on the tongue that mellowed out a bit as the beer warmed up. There was some bitterness and some hop characteristics, but a typical sweetness to it. A little sharp in the mouth, but otherwise easy to drink.

jbramley, Dec 20, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Served from a bottle (6/27/11 exp.) into a pint glass, a very nice dark golden color, with apples on the nose. Poured gently and created a huge off white head. At first it tastes very fruity, with distinct colors of apples, cider, and other fuits as well as a twinge of cinnamon. A very interesting after taste lingered after the first sip. The head eventually dissolved into a 1 finger constant, with lacing down the side of the glass. The beer is just carbonated enough, and not too overly done. Mouthfeel was great, the beer just rolled around, and did not want to go down. I would buy this beer again, I just hope the store I go to keeps carrying it.

ekempey, Dec 17, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured from bottle into an oversized wine glass. Wowee zowee this has a damn fine head! It looks like I just made a root beer float! And it retains damn well too! Rocky and fluffy, almost cloud like...and the lacing is nice too. The head just doesn't completely go away! Amberish opaque color...Smell of light alcohol and apples and various spices and a mild hop aroma...somewhat reminiscent of a champagne? The taste is well balanced and subtle...I still can't put my finger on what exactly I should compare it to (apple/raspberry/boysenberry/pear?). The hops are nice and don't dominate but they stick with you to the bitter end (sorry for the pun). Anyways, this beer is light bodied with very subtle carbonation. Very nice, love it and would drink it again many a time!

EmilNoldSinclair, Dec 15, 2006
4.2/5  rDev 0%

Bottled about a year ago in early 2006. A very intriguing beer, and I'm definitely going to pick up some more and put a few away for a while. I'm curious to see how it tastes in another year.

Slightly hazy light honey color, very dense head with thick, unbelievably long-lasting lacing. Stunning to look at.

Apple cider, honey, citrus in the nose. Very appealing.

Cider flavor, with nice hop kick. Tastes crisp, slightly tart, with a very floral finish. Lots going on in this one, but it manages to be well-balanced.

Good carbonation, nice creamy oily texture. Long dry bitter finish. Feels sturdy.

A very unique beer, which I found enormously likable. Could easily have more than one. Or two.

MVassar, Dec 12, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +15%

A dust-covered 2002 bottle, served in an Orval chalice. I had this at Kulminator in Antwerp.

Appearance: Pours a hazy-golden with a thick, off-white head that fades to a thin film leaving heavy patches of lace.

Smell: Strong Brettanomyces aroma as well as some grassy and citric aromas.

Taste: Tart citric and Brett characters, with a light sweetness. The finish has a nice mellowed hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium-bodied, low carbonation with a dry finish.

Drinkability: Tart with nice dominant Brett character.

EPICAC, Dec 11, 2006
3.18/5  rDev -24.3%

I just don't get it, I guess.

I may or may not have had this at tRotBBF. If I did, it was towards the end of the session, and I actually went out after 40+ samples and kept drinking at a bar, then another bar, and then a house party, so let's just say that this was my first time, mmk?

I really, really, really, wanted to like this beer. The no-nonsense label, the erotic bottle, and the fluffiest head I have ever seen. Pours with just the tiniest bit of yeast in suspension. So inviting, but then I actually give it a taste.

All I can say is that there is an earthiness to this beer that obtains and maintains the focal point throughout the quaff. I started drinking it cold, out of that ommegang flute with the silly scribbled guy on it. That nagging taste was there. I finished drinking it just above cellar temperature.. no change.

There was just something eminently one-dimensional about this beer. I could only taste that one thing, and it wasn't a fresh spiciness or 'complex malt character' or anything like that. It was just, well.. boring, and almost incomparable to anything else. First and possibly last tasting for this beer.

Lupin, Dec 08, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

Bottled April ' 06, drank Dec.' 06

Strong burst of carbonation on opening bottle. First pour gushes and foams, I wait and pour the rest in one smooth motion. Dense, rocky, off-white creamy head looks too beautiful. I don’t want to drink it - just look at it. Light mahogany color with orange highlights. Aroma of sherbert and damp earth near the stables. Phenolic aromas and flavors of holiday spices and juicy fruit gum. Not very sweet though, with a little sour tang. 15 minutes later and halfway through the beer the head has finally settled down to a thin, soft blanket of melted marshmallow with persistent lacing. I used to not like this beer, but perhaps my pallette has matured beyond hasty expectations of big, overly candy-like dark, fruity tasting Belgian strong ales. I am humbled and exalted at the same time. This beer makes me want to eat something savory and earthy, yet not heavy or too rich.

dedrinker, Dec 08, 2006
4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

Appearance – The look of Orval is great. It pours a cloudy deep orange into my Orval glass and produces a phenomenal amount of whitish meringue head. The head has good staying power and leaves lots of lacing.

Smell – The first aromas I get from this beer are those of apple and coriander. There is some citrus for sure with lemon and orange coming to mind first. There seems to by a slight sweetness with a little pepper as well. Very nice and strong.

Taste – The flavor of this beer is a little different than I expected after smelling it. It has a reasonable amount of citrus but also some sourness. I can detect a little yeast and some spiciness as well. There is a little melon too. There is a slight sweet hay flavor as well as I get to the end of the beer.

Mouthfeel – The body is decent. It feels a little oily and thin. The carbonation is high but doesn’t make itself known as much as it could.

Drinkability – Orval is easy to drink in every way. I preferred savoring this though.

A fairly complex and interesting beer. It have always enjoyed Orval and would never turn one down.

Orrshow, Dec 05, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

I originally had this during a tasting this summer, at that time I was not quite wowed in comparison to other trappist’s, but recently I thought it needed a try all on it’s own. Here goes: poured into a tulip glass rather haphazardly a huge foamy head like the top of mount Everest or something, with thick sticky white snow lacing all over. The retention is wonderful. Smells of pilsner malt, lots of nice citrus, hints of apple, light spice, and saaz hops maybe, first beer I think of in relation is Duvel, at least in the nose. Taste how ever is little like that Belgian “devil”. Taste is crisp and refreshing, bitterness is minimal on this, same with sweetness. I was expecting a little more sweetness toward the middle and finish, which this one does not really have, I think thus it lends it’s self to consumption in mass quantities, or at least more than one. I feel like I can really taste the quality of the water in this, more so than other trappists, something about it’s subtleness allows that element to shine through. I also heard that Orval makes some tasty cheese, which I will have to purchase along with another of these. All and all this is my least favorite trappist ale for just drinking, but I have a sneaking suspicion that with the right food it might do better than its other family members.

mmcave, Dec 04, 2006
3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

Just bought it the other day, says it was bottled 24/01/2006, so I guess it's almost a year aged.

Poured into a goblet glass...

A: pours a murky brown orange. like a dark apple cider. nice half inch head that dissipates in a minute.

S: can smell some kind of sour fruits..apples maybe. yep, sour fruits.... somehow VERY intruguing very interesting...

T: this is definitely the most unique trappist ive ever had. apples mostly, but a sour taste gives it an interesting twist. still, not anything to get excited about, IMO...

M: medium-bodied. Seems to suit the beer at hand, but still kinda thin for me....

D: Could keep it up all night. However, would prefer to drink a different beer now.

chadspivey, Dec 03, 2006
3.55/5  rDev -15.5%

This is the brew that will earn me my first mug icon for initiate status! For such a special moment, I thought that I should try something special.

A - Honey-gold cloudy brew with a monsterously huge rocky four finger plus head and tons of sticky dry lace. This has one of the most beautiful heads, and definitely the nicest lace that Iv'e ever seen. Lots of tiny bubbles float to the top, and there are a few little sediments of yeast although decanted carefully.

S - Honeycomb, pancakes and waffles, gentle melon and grape notes, sweet bakery yeast, and a little whiff of alcohol. This aroma is gentle and very inviting. Could be a bit more forceful though....I love the smell, but it's on the lighter side (it does, however, open up quite a bit with warmth).

T - Very grapey and fruity at first with a nice hop kick in the middle and a gradually progressive sourness dominates the ending. This really is much fruitier, hoppier, and tart than I would have expected from the nose. I think that the honey sweetness is a bit overpowered by the hops.

M - Bites with sour acidity, and finishes very dry and hoppy.

D - Really, this is not that outstanding. It looks great and smells unique but weak, but the taste is just pretty bad. And at six bucks for a tiny little bottle....this stuff is really not worth it.

My bottle was almost a year old. I would like to try aging this stuff to see if it mellows out a little bit....IMO the hop bite and sour acidity (normally two things I crave!) might have overpowered the subtle nuances of this brew. Way, way overated.

I've never experienced such a disparity between how a beer smells and how it tastes. This one smells beautiful, sweet, and delicate but tastes brash and overbearingly bitter. I guess the lesson here is don't trust your nose...Yankee Candles smell good too, but I wouldn't eat one.

Check out Orval's website while you're at it. It's really cool.

pmcadamis, Nov 30, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance:
Pours copper in color with a fair amount of sedimentary haze. There is a massive pillowy white head that laces the glass with swards of foam.

Smell:
There's an apparent banana scent that is paired well with a Belgian yeast character. The smell is mildly obvious and pleasant overall.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
Tropical fruit notes and minor banana hints build up the majority of this beer's flavor. It drinks light and crisp which works well with how effervescent the beer is. The beer finishes dry with an exit of fruit punch and leaves you with little aftertaste.

Drinkability:
This beer is damn tasty and pretty low ABV for a Belgian beer. I could easily supplant my american hefeweizen for this beer on any day. One of the more drinkable Belgian beers I've ever had.

Bottom Line:
A beer, that to me, lives up to it's reputation. I think it would have been even better had it aged a little because this bottle was a little on the "green" side. A must for any Belgian fan or somebody looking to get in to Belgian beer.

Grundle20, Nov 28, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from a 0.33L bottle into an over-sized wine glass.

A: The beer is a bright amber color, with a large foamy white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is robust with mostly yeast and fruit, along with some spice.

T: The taste is very sweet and fruity with flavors of lemon, orange, banana & pineapple. There’s some yeast presence and a mild hops character, but hardly any bitterness. I wasn’t expecting this beer to be so sweet, but it’s definitely a unique and pleasant surprise.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, high carbonation, very clean finish for such a sweet beer.

D: This one is very tasty and goes down ridiculously easy with no hint of alcohol. I could certainly stay with this beer for quite a while.

TheManiacalOne, Nov 26, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Appearance: Hazy medium brown color, with a small scattering of white foam, and little carbonation.

Aroma: The aroma manifests incredible complexity, with banana, vanilla, candy sugar, and hints of earth combined in a dazzling manner.

Taste: Opens with a slightly toasty, earthy note. The taste turns mildly hoppy midway through the taste, and finishes dry with a mildly earthy character.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, very full, and quite pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: Simply superb, one of the best of the Trappist-brewed beers, remarkable in its excellence.

Pegasus, Nov 26, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

Orval Trappist Ale, take number two.

Pours a light brown with highlights of amber. Frothy, bubbly head sits upon the body. Loads of carbonation streams easily float upwards.

Damn, this beer is still one of the best smelling ones I have encountered to date. Such balance, euphoria, and loads of flavor. Tons of fruity flavors enter the nasals. Dark fruit, grapes, and pear. Mandarin oranges, pineapple, and sweet melon fringe the edges. The fruit esters in this Belgium are absolutely amazing, and give proof that lower ABV does not take away from the quality of the brew.

Taste is appealing, and flavorful. While not living up to the high expectations of the smell the taste does not dissapoint. Sweet malty upfront that lingers throughout. With background flavors of fruit and floral hops. It's swift, and stingy mouthfeel feels great. This may be one of the most drinkable Belgians made. In my opinion that is.

A classic, and the definitive Belgian Pale Ale. Thank you Orval.

HoustonTX, Nov 25, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured out of a traveled .33L bottle into an Orval glass. Purchased this beer in Belgium, survived the arduous journey back to the states, settled for about 2 months at about 55deg F....then was thourougly enjoyed!

Orval poured out a beautiful mid October fall color of Orange, dusted yellow, and amber. Settled with a nice head, good aroma, great carbonation release up from the center bottom of the glass. This beer had a very fruit induced, orange and spicy aroma.
I liked the subdued but noticable taste of strong German hops. I would rate this as a good drinkable beer, but would like a bit more substance in the mouthfeel....The taste of this beer definitely shines above 50deg. Overall, I rank it second among the ales of the Trappiste Bieres!

mwagner1018, Nov 25, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a very hazy orange-amber with a massive, pillowy, long-lasting head and great lacing.

Expressive, high-toned, fruity nose with grape and crabapple character, along with some herbaceousness.

More restrained flavors that lean to the dry side of the spectrum, particularly for a Belgian. Quite complex with notes of tarragon, guava, and exotic spices. Mouthfeel is fairly unimpressive...the only weak point of this brew.

Finishes moderately long and dry.

An interesting, distinctive ale that manages to be both incredibly complex and impressively balanced.

tcfishler, Nov 23, 2006
3.58/5  rDev -14.8%

So I finally decided to try this one, after hearing the name occasionally enough to be interested. I found the appearance to be pretty nice, especially due to the beautiful white head. The amber color was nice, but standard, so the head really did the job of making it a beautiful sight. The aroma was great as well; very fruity and sweet. I picked up a good deal of banana, and maybe some brown sugar plum notes. However, the taste was way different; consisting of some light malts, overly intensive vegetable like hops and the occasional addition from the nose. The mouthfeel was overly bitter for my taste, but the consistency was nice and thin/smooth. I am not interested in trying this beer again, considering I expected much more and am fairly disappointed.

dbalsock, Nov 23, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +11.9%

Appearance: Hazy orange amber with a wonderfull large dense white white head which leaves tons of lacing.

Smell: Tart orange with hints of lemon and flowers.

Taste: Crisp and smooth. Medium body. Taste is amazingly complex it has hints or orange, lemons, apples, with a nice hop bitterness. The beer has a bit of a tart flavor to it as well

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated and medium bodied.

Overall an amazing beer prhaps my favorite Trappist ive had, atleast over Chimay and Archel

boblog, Nov 22, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

This beer pours a nice orange, Autumn-inspired color with a big, fluffy, off-white head that slowly recedes into purdy lacing. Truth be told, there's still some head in the glass and I'm halfway through this sucker. The smell is niiice, reminding me of a rose garden, apples and perhaps a bit of citrus... lemon maybe... The flavor is complex as well with subtle tastes of apple, flowers and a bit of spice, among other things. Mouthfeel is smooth, crisp, slightly "snappy." Very drinkable, with the only thing keeping me from having at least a couple at a time being the price. Well done.

bucko, Nov 20, 2006
Orval Trappist Ale from Brasserie d'Orval S.A.