2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Orval Trappist Ale - Brasserie d'Orval S.A.

Orval Trappist AleOrval Trappist Ale

Reviews: 2078

Brasserie d'Orval S.A. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 09-18-2001)
View: Beers (2) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Orval Trappist Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,900 | Reviews: 2,078 | Show All Ratings:
halo21

Appearance:I shared this bottle with a friend, pouring my share into a pint glass, opening up a golden orangish-red liquid, with a white head that held on for the whole serving.

Smell: Sweet and crisp; yeast, with grass and earthy spice.

Taste: Perfectly sweet, with huge yeast esters like no other;big fruit and a tart spiciness, all balanced out with hops. This is an extremely complex beers, as are all the Trappist brews are.

Mouthfeel:Carbonated and medium bodied. Reminds me of heavier ciders.

Drinkability/Palatability:Huge; this is one where you stare at the bottom of your glass, hoping that it is not empty. No rough notes, no imperfections.

Notes: This is my first time trying this brew. It is a perfect beer; they do exist and this is one. But then again, when you have had as much time through history to discover the secrets of beer as these monks have, heavenly perfection is something you strive for; and in this case, obtained.

07-24-2010 22:36:07 | More by halo21
paxkey

bought at LCBO
bowling pin shaped bottle.

poured in a chalice.
all head. fluffy crackling.pure joy.
i dont want to drink this. i just want to look at it. it looks way too pretty to touch.
under the head is hazy honey.

it has a strong and pleasing aroma. Definite yeast present with alot of spice.
minty hops.
banana bread malt.
so complex and tantalazing.

so well made. this yeast does magic inside the bottle. dry crisp finish that leads to the next sip almost immediately.

finding a slightly oily mouthfeel followed by more spicy herbal flavor long after each sip.

heaven in a glass.

12-10-2010 01:47:55 | More by paxkey
GRG1313

Wow. I forgot how much I like this beer. I'm not going to forget again!

[This may be my only perfect score, to date. I'm close to 500 reviews here on BA but I've got close to 3,500 reviews in my personal files. And, this still may be my only "perfect score." That, or I got one hell of a bottle! This one was bottled, it looks like 7/29/09 with a "best by" date of 2014.]

Orange amber with a big, thick, pillowy and firm pure white head; great looking.

Nose is all peaches, pears, apricots and hints of bananas all with a light citric kick.

Mouthfeel is light carbonation that is champagne quality and is rich and perfectly balanced.

Flavors are spice and stone fruit with undertones of ginger, lime and green tea. Finish is rich, citric fruity and light grapefruit bitter.

This is one of those perfect beers. It is all around appealing; somewhat unique and extremely drinkable. This may be the universally appealing brew.

02-05-2011 00:48:33 | More by GRG1313
nickthetick

Maryland

A: poured a hazy burnt orange into my duvel tulip with three fingers of white frothy head that slims down to two fingers and. Only leaves spotted lacing.

S: plums and pineapple and bananas! Fruity and yeasty and wonderful.

T: definite pineapple and banana, belgian sugars and a little malt biscuit. There's a little bitterness that lingers towards the end.

MF: sweet medium body and very effervescent.

D: a wonderful BPA that has a great history and wonderful attributes. Its one of the easier to find trappist ales. I'll defiantly be picking this one up again.

02-05-2011 20:27:28 | More by nickthetick
STKPICR0720

Alabama

This brew truly lived up to my expectations. You can understand why this brew has stood the test of time. If it isn't broke don't fix it and the monks at Orval have heeded the saying.

This brew has a bottled on date and a best before date. The bottled on date was 22/04/2009 and the best before date was 22/04/2009

This brew poured golden brown, with a hint of tartness and tart fruit taste. The hops are here but not over powering. The 6.9%abv is just perfect. This brew is mind blowing though. You expect alot from a trappiste and this brew delivers. I would drink this before all other trappiste. My hats off to all who have made this brew as they are deserving of a standing O.

05-23-2011 17:17:12 | More by STKPICR0720
hopsbreath

Oregon

I actually just tried this beer for the first time a couple weeks ago, so I could harvest the dregs for a saison I was brewing. The dryness and complexity blew me away. Suddenly, every beer I brew is getting Orval dregs in it just so I have an excuse (as if I really needed one) to drink more of this beer. Every store I go into now I'm picking up bottles and checking the date. This review is for the oldest bottle I have found so far. It's "bottled on date" is 5-6-2008 (day first month second). Poured into a Duvel tulip, this review is being done live.

A: A very careful pour still yields a couple fingers of buttered popcorn head. The bubble composition itself is made up of big lazy bubbles with a rocky texture on top. Belgian lacing galore is left all over this thing. The body itself is a deep butterscotch with excellent clarity. Beer does not look more tempting than this. 5/5

S: Think tart green fruits here. Green apples, pears, lime zest, muscat grapes, and kiwi (yes kiwi) are among this fruit basket. An inviting sweetness I'm going to compare to the inside of a salt water taffy shop, is lingering just behind the classic earthy aroma of the brett. Beer does not smell better than this. 5/5

T: An impact of spice to the taste buds make this all about the yeast. Peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cardomon... The list can go on and on. Dusky melon rind, bitter grapefruit pith, and avocado essence are all characteristics of what this base malt has turned into. Beer does not taste better than this. 5/5

M: A huge mouth of foam in every gulp. The swallow reveals a sawdust dry finish. It's drier than any Champagne I've had. It might be the single driest drink I have ever drank. A perfect beer for classy parties, celebrations, and weddings. I'll have to keep that in mind. Beer does not get drier than this. 5/5

O: Why oh why did I wait so long to try this out. Without a doubt one of the most unique beers I've enjoyed to date. It's also a beer I'll be returning to with some regularity. To have such a fantastic beer on the shelf of every upscale grocery store is truly remarkable. Beer DOES NOT get any better than this. 5/5

08-10-2011 23:37:17 | More by hopsbreath
elNopalero

Update:
Bottle dated 8/18/2011, enjoyed 1/19/2013

Split this bottle. The beer itself pours a cloudy hazy orange-tan. One glass had impressive foaming and long head retention, while the other glass had only a thin tight layer of bubbles. (I have both a rinse with cold water prior to pouring.)

The aroma has an earthy, lemony character to it. There’s a light funk which emerges, like wet hay, along with some tangerine peel and something that reminds me of a good sweat from a tough workout.

The flavor is earthy with a mild spice that runs into a funky finish. It’s peppery and earthy with a long, long finish. I found layers of flavor—wet hay, tangerine and orange preserves, leather, and tobacco—that just are a delight to enjoy. Great effervescent, fantastic body. I love how this beer changes over time.

Dated 10/02/2011 but purchased before then. Does it mean February 10, 2011?

First time drinking this iconic beer. This is a moment for the record books! Or, at the least, Beer Advocate.

Poured into a tulip. It’s cloudy, sandy-colored, with a big layer of foam sitting atop. I smell coriander, orange peel, apricot must on the edges. Just a wonderful, wonderfully complex aroma.

First sip is an eye opener. Sharp, concentrated flavor with a dry finish that goes for a victory lap on the palate. Lots of yeasty esters and an effervescence that coats your mouth. There’s some slight sour and funky notes that hang around and become more pronounced as the beer warms. Incredibly complex. I see why this beer has such a reputation and aura around it.

04-19-2014 18:26:22 | More by elNopalero
seancake

What can I possibly say about this beer that hasn't already been said? The most idiosyncratic beer ever made. Not like any other beer you will EVER drink -- unless it's specifically designed to mimic Orval. Even then, it won't quite manage it.

Orval is also incredible in how much it changes with age. I can't say that I prefer a bottle with age to a young bottle, they are entirely different beasts. Thanks to cafés serving different vintages here in Belgium (Kulminator in Antwerpen, Dubh-Linn in Langdorp for example), I have had them ranging from a very young, green two months all the way to 6 years' age. They are beautiful young or old. The young tends towards a fresh light hoppiness, and an aged bottle has a creamier quality with the bretts coming forth more.

A true classic, dry-finish and wonderful washing-powder aroma, gorgeous off-white head, mouthfeel that is creamy and light all at the same time, I can't really describe it fully. You can drink one, or you can drink five (though it's quite a bit stronger than, say, your average pilsner and you do so at your own risk). All I can say is that it's the only beer logo I am considering tattooing on my body -- that's how much I adore and revere this beer. My favorite Trappist, hands-down.

04-06-2012 14:26:48 | More by seancake
chrisgalvin

Funky, sour, malty, fizzy, tasty and clearly should be in the Beer Hall of Fame... I've had many of these and each time I open a bottle I'm brought back to the time I had it when my wife and I were in Brussels at the Beer Circus.

btw, this is Vinnie Cilurzo (RRBC) favorite beer.

04-01-2013 05:04:15 | More by chrisgalvin
joesmithrealname

Connecticut

Seven trillion Monks can't be wrong.

The humongous spongy foamy head, sprinkled ever-so-slightly with some extra yeasts...

The aroma of two hundred years ago.

The looks from people drinking an overly hopped battering ram in a glass, wondering what POSSibly was going on behind my Cheshire Cat grin.

Expensive but worth it, if you value your life, and the moments that remain.

06-13-2013 05:48:13 | More by joesmithrealname
71CrazyOtto

Home Run.

Never had a beer with lacing and frothing head like it even remotely. Tiny bubbles run high up to upper sides of glass when poured trapped by thick cream colored head.
This "Authentic Trappist" brewer sets itself apart (far apart) from it's fellow monks at the other monastaries that brew the Belgium classics.

Orval I see now brew a 2nd beer but they will always be the best imo because they've been brewing only one for so long so I won't bother to try a cash grab second beer.

If I were to die someday on a porch or watching a game, this is the beer I would want in my hand. Crafted by pure souls/nature ingredients to send me to heaven...well hopefully to heaven hehe.

09-28-2013 13:54:42 | More by 71CrazyOtto
cbutova

Finally reviewing an all-time favorite. Feb, 02 2012 bottle side by side with March 07, 2013.

02/29/2012:
A- Massive foamy white head builds to at least three fingers high atop a slightly hazy, medium amber body. Head retention is supreme and it never dies down staying about a centimeter thick and leaving a blizzard of thick lace.
S- Surprised to notice so much aged feel here. I guess it is only 6.2% or so but it has a reputation since it contains live bugs. Aged caramel and grape/raisin fruit sweetness feel and some Belgian yeast spices.
T- Follows the nose with some added yeast feel. Vinous grapes, raisin, earthy must and Belgian yeast spice. Has a strong feel of age, almost overshadowing the rest of the beer. With warmth some dry, horsey Brett but just a hint. Some strange tartness, like grapes again.
MF- Foamy and fulfilling texture. Carbonation super high and it bites the palate. Slight spicy bitterness.
A bit too vinous and just has that general old dusty raisin caramel feel. Perhaps it varies bottle by bottle or takes longer to develop but looking forward to the fresh one.

03/07/2013 (for review, I believe in fresh beer)
A- Noticeably louder hiss when popping the cap instantly has me excited. Perhaps the 2012 bottle just wasn't up to the Orval standard (it was perfect for appearance). Even tilting the glass almost flat, it foams up out of the glass and I have to rescue it from getting to wild. One HAND head with infinite retention it seems as bubbles shoot up the glass like machine guns. The head is over an inch out of the chalice. Five minutes later the head has seemed to grow more, what to do... drink through the shield!

S- Brett is on another scale compared to the 2012 bottle, it doesn't even smell similar. Pungent, classic Belgian Brett character with funk, cherries and plenty of horsey barnyard. Sour lemon juice notes makes me anticipate some tartness. Earthy, spicy and funky Brett beast. With some warmth, more Trappist yeast spice comes out and balances the wildness to perfection.

T- Taking a sip and getting a face full of foam reveals something a bit milder but more rounded out than the nose. The earthy and funky Brett dries this out completely with some barnyard, cherry pie, dried fruit and horse blanket notes. Some cracker malts and Belgian Trappist yeast spice provides a nice compliment to the wild bugs. Slight lemon peel but somehow less than the nose.

MF- Foamy and intensely carbonated but somehow it all goes down super smooth, thanks in part to a creamy texture. Finishes with some funky spice feel. Drier than desert sand.

This is more like it! This is the beer I remember having so many times. Not sure if I just got a random off bottle that I ended up aging but the Brett and Trappist yeast balance here is something of beauty. Perhaps the greatest overall beer on the planet. Always available and outstanding... All hail the trout and the golden ring. So many moral problems with perfect fives nowadays but I have a hard time justifying not doing it. This beer is as close as it gets.

11-22-2013 03:14:34 | More by cbutova
anarchia

Oregon

Hazy dark orange with a massive head that won't go away before you finish drinking it--beautiful. Aroma is sour apples, barnyard, sour funk, noble hops. Velvety, spicy, and bubbly in the mouth. Carbonation really enhances the diverse flavors. Spicy, fruity hop bitterness. Tart and funky. Fruity and spicy (hints of black pepper). Orange and lemon. I could keep rambling but... a zillion contrasting flavors balanced perfectly. Perfect--yep, that's the word I'm looking for. Perfect.

01-01-2014 05:58:55 | More by anarchia
RaphaelSC

Brazil

330mL bottle to Snifter.

A: Big tar head with good retention, and a smoked orange body.

S: Dryed Lemon and wood smell. The smell is unique as the beer itself.

T: Citric and dry, with mild sweetness and bitterness, this beer is quite refreshing unlikely its kin trappistes beers, can't feel the alcohol at all, just that fruit unique flavor that I can't barely describe.

M: A mild and dry bitterness that resembles wine to me. A superb mouthfeel in my opinion, that makes you want to contemplate every sip you take of this beer.

O: Unique, this trappist beer is unique between its pars and between every other beer you find out there, I strongly recommend this beer to every one that appreciates a good beer.

01-25-2014 21:04:52 | More by RaphaelSC
Schmidts

4.98/5  rDev +18.6%

Pours light amber from the bottle, with a large creamy tan head that stays through the last drop.
Smells of Lemon and grass. Tasty lemon floral hops and pepper a little sour and very creamy with a dry hop finish.
Very smooth in your mouth bready, a real winner of a Belgian Ale.
I give this one an overall of 5.0 it is world class in all points.

Thanks To Jason at Epps Beverage for this bottle.

02-16-2012 22:09:30 | More by Schmidts
TongoRad

Bottle dated 2-23-06

Slightly hazy pale copper color with an incredible rocky head.

Wonderful bouquet of fruit (tangerine, pineapple), caramel, and cotton candy (from candi sugar, I'm sure), and some spicy elements (juniper) in the background. You almost pick up something different with each sniff. There is an overall yeasty/bready/musky quality that is quite inviting.

Full flavored yet dry and quenchingly tart. This beer can withstand a high level of carbonation and not miss a beat. The feel of the bubbles suddenly expanding and then immediately dissipating in the mouth is quite remarkable. Most of the flavor is in the lingering finish- first caramel, then spice, then bread and yeast. Alcohol and bitterness are exactly where they should be and only begin to show themselves at the end of the glass.

It is amazing that a beer can be this full flavored and complex yet delicate and subtle at the same time.

04-16-2005 17:42:26 | More by TongoRad
matt7215

330 ml bottle from the LCBO

Pours beautiful hazy golden with a huge thick white head. Sediment stains the head when the last few drops enter the trappist glass.

The aroma varries from bottle to bottle with this one. Some time you get a funky brett forward farmhouse aroma and sometimes you get a big hop bomb over a belgian ale body. Either way you cant ask for more. I actually salivate just at the thought of smelling this brew.

The flavours are never quite the same with this one. You have a finely brewed hoppy Belgian Ale with the addition of brett. Depending on age you might not even notice the brett but with some age this really comes out and adds layers of complexity.

This is my favourite beer and if I could only drink one brew for the rest of my life it would be Orval.

11-03-2008 18:18:07 | More by matt7215
OskarL

Sweden

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

Appearance - Deep amber color, cloudy with a big dense head that leaves lacing.

Smell - Very inviting! Citrus, flower and cloves.

Taste - Citrus, hops, cider, a bit sweet, some bitterness and pepper in the finish. A very complex taste!

Mouthfeel - Light body, very dry with carbonation that fits just perfect.

01-26-2010 18:22:17 | More by OskarL
Spineypanda

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

Pours a cloudy golden amber, with a billowing head that is made up of the most refined looking bubbles.
Smells of horse sweat, tart apples, and lemon with a serious undertone of so many smells it will take me a few times to pull them out.
With a seriously bubbly mouth feel, it has a nice effect on the belly.
First taste to hit the tongue is the sour citrus which you taste almost immediately on the end of your tongue. Tartness that was smelled is picked up from maybe the hops.

So much more to the beer than what I have written but one of the best if not the best I have ever had.

04-24-2010 01:17:52 | More by Spineypanda
TimHoss

Connecticut

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

Excellent Trappist Ale. The best that I have ever consumed. Great taste, smell, and feel. There is so much happening in this ale that you really need to avoid pairing it with any foods the first time you drink it. The initial presentation is excellent with a strong hoppy/sweet aroma. The taste starts spicy and ends with a great fruity finish. Wonderful drink for any occasion.

01-01-2011 15:05:24 | More by TimHoss
dcmchew

Romania

4.96/5  rDev +18.1%

Been meaning to review this one properly.
Hazy golden pour (light copper tinges) in my Westy glass, one - two fingers bubbly head. The thin lacing later on is extremely sticky, leaving blankets of foam on the side of the glass, popping away to random smaller traces.
The smell is really unique, as i remember it, with sweet apricots, acidic apples and pears, strawberries, low citrus, honey, lots of flowers and a nice green saison-like funk. You could just smell this for hours.
Really complex taste. It doesn't start off with the fruitiness as expected, but with the barnyard funk and the herbs, the candi sugar (just mildly sweet, mind you) and prickly peppercorn. Fruitiness follows, crisp and acidic, with clear green apple (with a tiny bit of tartness) and yellow pears, mixed up with some grains. The green funk never leaves the palate, all till the (rather) bitter finish.
A bit too much carbonation, especially considering the crispness of the beer. Refreshing, yes. Alcohol is very subtle, aftertaste consists of, you guessed it, funk.
No wonder i rated this 5 at first, it's absolutely amazing. Minus the bit of extra carbonation, but still up to its renown.

04-04-2014 15:20:54 | More by dcmchew
Brent

Kentucky

4.95/5  rDev +17.9%

Definite aroma of pears. Beautiful fluffy head. Very snappy and sharp at the front, then settles down to a mildly fruity hops finish. Most Dubbels finish too sweet for my taste, and the reserved sweetness in this ale is appreciated. Very complex and smooth. Hoo-hah!

09-27-2001 22:54:38 | More by Brent
hyuga

4.95/5  rDev +17.9%

Pours into my Orval chalice, where it is beautifully presented, an orange brew with a huge white head that retains very well. Wonderful complex aroma, consisting mainly of ripe banana and clove. It's like I just got a bunch of fresh bananas and peeled one! Also detectable are fresh sliced green apple, dried fruit (maybe raisin or plum), and spicy hops. Can't say how great that aroma is, it's just overwhelmingly good! I feel like I'm in a fruit market. One of the most aromatically pleasing Belgian beers I've ever had. Cracked pepper jumps in with the first taste, then more of that fresh fruit that was in the aroma. Clove also floats around sporadically. Spicy hops are next, along with dried fruit. Malt is most noticeable with retro-olfaction. Very "carbonated" mouthfeel. Sharp melon rind-like hop twang in the finish. A medium body, but very fruity, spicy, and complex! This beer is so very good! It's well worth the $4.99 or so for the 11.2 oz. bottle in my opinion. Trappist monks certainly know how to brew. And I'm sure they get to drink this wonderful brew every day at the Abbaye Orval. They even make cheese to pair this with. I want to be a monk there now, where do I sign up?

11-10-2002 04:53:41 | More by hyuga
chaduvel

4.95/5  rDev +17.9%

Beer #100. Pours a slightly hazy dark orange, about the color of iced tea. Magnificent gigantic voluminous creamy head that laces the entire glass for the entire beer. Smell is amazing. Sour, fruity, earthy, yeasty, and malty. Taste follows the nose's lead. Tangy fruits, followed by a touch of horse blanket, hay, touch of hops maybe?, then touch of complex malts. Finish is dry, smooth and refreshing. One of the most easy drinking Belgians I've ever had, as well as one of the best beers I've ever had. Amazing.

11-10-2003 14:51:08 | More by chaduvel
CAMRAhardliner

4.95/5  rDev +17.9%

Ah the enigmatic and always polarizing Orval... You either love it or you hate it. The first time I tried it, I didnt like it, then I tried it again. I quickly realised that Orval is an acquired taste, its unconventional profile really grows on you.

This beer poured a hazy orange color with the most massive, invinicible head. This bohemoth literally covers the glass in lace. There lots of frenetic carbonation as well.

The aroma is packed with brett, tropical fruit, honeydew, and also a citrusy tartness. It reminded me of tropical Starburst candies. Hops also make their presence known in the nose.

The taste is intense. There are fruit, perfume, and sour notes, as well as a medicinal bitterness. It reminds me of some kind of tropical fruit, not citrusy, but tart. Theres also a candy sugar flavor as well as some yeasty notes. Leathery brett notes are all over the place. The finish is bittering hops and some risidual tartness.

The mouthfeel is slightly thick, with lots of carbonation evident. This beer is very drinkable, it conceals its alcohol behind an array of unusual flavors. Very unique to say the least, I cant think of any other beer to even compare it too . I will definitely seek it out again.

BTW in Belgian you can Buy this for 1.10 Euros in vending machines! (at least the HUGE indoor one adjoining the Golden Tulip Hotel on the north end of the Grand Place).

08-28-2004 03:16:20 | More by CAMRAhardliner
Orval Trappist Ale from Brasserie d'Orval S.A.